Menu

DDPY Folks - Dallas talked about me in a video today!

ktgrok

I am on month 16 of DDPY and am down almost 60 pounds and several clothes sizes.    Lots of NSV (Non Scale victories)....paddle boarding, getting out of my kayak, walking much faster/farther, and toning up.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I am on month 16 of DDPY and am down almost 60 pounds and several clothes sizes.    Lots of NSV (Non Scale victories)....paddle boarding, getting out of my kayak, walking much faster/farther, and toning up.

That is awesome! I lost about 10lbs, then regained most of it when I stopped doing it...now losing it again, lol. But definitely so much stronger and healthier!

My husband has started and he was laying floor in the bathroom the other day and said he could really tell a difference in how easy it was to get up and down off the floor compared to when he did the flooring in the other bathroom a few months ago. 

• Like 4

Oh! Tell me all about this. Is it safe/easy for people with asthma and a physical limitations like a bad back or fickle hip/ankles?  I need to start something and get back on track. The last year has been hard health-wise and it’s been really hard on my weight. 

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

Oh! Tell me all about this. Is it safe/easy for people with asthma and a physical limitations like a bad back or fickle hip/ankles?  I need to start something and get back on track. The last year has been hard health-wise and it’s been really hard on my weight. 

I'm a newbie at it.  But it does have a version for when you can't get out of bed yet from injury.   moves to chair version to standing and then gets advanced.  I'm too new to say much more.  Hoping for results in flexibility increase.

10 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

The other responses are great.   There is a bed flex option for those that can't get out of bed on their own.  Next is a Chair Force level where you sit in a sturdy chair for all of the exercises.  Then comes the Stand Strong level where you use the chair for balance and support but are standing.   From there there is a regular, intermediate , advanced and super advanced levels.

The app; s great as you can access over 350 workouts at different levels.   There are also workouts that teach you the moves as well as modifications......so you could play a stand strong workout but still sit in the chair if needed for some moves....or you can play the stand strong level but not use the chair..... modify the workouts up or down as needed.

Many of the moves are ones my physical therapist had me doing for my torn meniscus.    I still can't do the deep squats or regular push ups so I just modify and keep going.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Oh toot. I remember it now that I’ve had a chance to look it up.  Darn. I did try that a long while back. It just wasn’t for me. Much as I wanted it to be.  😫

And that is OK.   I love it but have a friend that tried it and didn't like it.   She loves groove and Zumba and I don't.   Maybe try a different easy beginner yoga.   Even some for seniors are good workouts and work around joint paint.

7 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Good for you!

So I've been curious about DDPY for awhile. Sorry if I sound dense but did you buy an app? Or do you buy streaming videos? 

There are different options, but the app is the best value and best option.

Basically, the options are DVDs, an "On Demand" version that is the same stuff as the DVDs but streaming via either Roku or Firestick or your computer, or DDPY NOW which is the app. The app includes WAY WAY WAY more workouts, a way to track "custom" workouts if you say, want to do aerobics or dance or a walk or bike ride, a place to track pain levels, body measurements, photo progressions of your progress, etc. Plus cooking videos, motivational videos, etc. And you get points for every minute your workout, more if you use a heart rate monitor, extra points for tracking weight/measurements/photos, extra points for consistency, etc. As you accumulate points you can earn a t-shirt - which sounds silly but seeing those points is very motivational - it's immediate gratification - a hit of dopamine to reward you each time. There is also a leader board which is ranked by your points that month - they reset each month so that new people have the same opportunity as veterans. It's fun to see your ranking go up as you workout longer/more often. 

The app is available on ipad, iphone, and android phone and you can then cast it to your TV. Or there is a firestick version of it - just be careful as there are two on firestick - one is the NOW app, and one is the on demand version. They are different subscriptions. You can also just access from your computer, but most(all?) heart rate monitors won't connect that way. I generally use my phone and cast to the TV. There are directions on how to cast it to the tv on the website if you need help, or people on the facebook forum will help you. It isn't hard though. 

On the app you can set your 14 week program to different levels, and it will give your a workout schedule (that you can adjust) or you can choose custom and just pick and choose as you go (those of us with ADHD tend to like that option, lol). 

As you get into it there are also instructors offering live classes, both free and paid, on Zoom and Facebook. I really enjoy those as well, to mix it up.

Feel free to ask anything, lol.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and with the app there are monthly, 3 month, and yearly subscriptions. There are almost always discount codes for the yearly one. And military get 50% off. I did a 3 month first (it's only $10 more than the 1 month) and then when I knew I liked it got the year. 

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

There are different options, but the app is the best value and best option.

Basically, the options are DVDs, an "On Demand" version that is the same stuff as the DVDs but streaming via either Roku or Firestick or your computer, or DDPY NOW which is the app. The app includes WAY WAY WAY more workouts, a way to track "custom" workouts if you say, want to do aerobics or dance or a walk or bike ride, a place to track pain levels, body measurements, photo progressions of your progress, etc. Plus cooking videos, motivational videos, etc. And you get points for every minute your workout, more if you use a heart rate monitor, extra points for tracking weight/measurements/photos, extra points for consistency, etc. As you accumulate points you can earn a t-shirt - which sounds silly but seeing those points is very motivational - it's immediate gratification - a hit of dopamine to reward you each time. There is also a leader board which is ranked by your points that month - they reset each month so that new people have the same opportunity as veterans. It's fun to see your ranking go up as you workout longer/more often. 

The app is available on ipad, iphone, and android phone and you can then cast it to your TV. Or there is a firestick version of it - just be careful as there are two on firestick - one is the NOW app, and one is the on demand version. They are different subscriptions. You can also just access from your computer, but most(all?) heart rate monitors won't connect that way. I generally use my phone and cast to the TV. There are directions on how to cast it to the tv on the website if you need help, or people on the facebook forum will help you. It isn't hard though. 

On the app you can set your 14 week program to different levels, and it will give your a workout schedule (that you can adjust) or you can choose custom and just pick and choose as you go (those of us with ADHD tend to like that option, lol). 

As you get into it there are also instructors offering live classes, both free and paid, on Zoom and Facebook. I really enjoy those as well, to mix it up.

Feel free to ask anything, lol.  

Thanks. Sounding very stupid here - what do you mean by "cast to the TV?" My kid probably knows - LOL! 

20 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Thanks. Sounding very stupid here - what do you mean by "cast to the TV?" My kid probably knows - LOL! 

So, if you have a smart tv, or apple tv, or roku, or chrome cast, etc you should b able to share your phone screen with your TV. On my iphone, when I start a workout at the bottom of the screen there is a little icon that looks like a tv. I tap that, and it brings up my options as to what devices I can cast to - in my case I have a roku and a smart tv and an apple tv so it lists all three, I pick one and tap it, and then suddenly the workout is playing on the TV instead of on my phone. My heartrate still shows on my phone screen, so I just lean that agains the TV or somewhere else I can see it. 

Actually, if I start screen sharing first, using screen mirror on my iphone, then my whole screen shows including my heart rate, but for some reason that sometimes acts up so I usually do the first option I mentioned. 

A few people don't have a smart tv or other device, or have terrible wifi in the house, and use an HDMI cable with a phone adaptor and physically plug the phone into the TV - supposedly those cables are cheap enough on amazon. 

• Like 1

Very cool! 

I haven't posted any pics for Face2Face Friday or whatever it's called. Every time I think I will do it, I wake up with a big pimple on my cheek. 😞

17 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Your hard work and success with DDPY was what got me into it. I am down 33.2 lbs as of this morning, from a size 18 to a 14.

I used to wake up with back spasms almost daily, and those are completely gone. I've had some improvement with the meralgia parathestica in my leg, too, which is a big relief.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Very cool! 

I haven't posted any pics for Face2Face Friday or whatever it's called. Every time I think I will do it, I wake up with a big pimple on my cheek. 😞

Your hard work and success with DDPY was what got me into it. I am down 33.2 lbs as of this morning, from a size 18 to a 14.

I used to wake up with back spasms almost daily, and those are completely gone. I've had some improvement with the meralgia parathestica in my leg, too, which is a big relief.

Glad you are doing so well.  My back pain is about gone as well, esp if I keep up with the DDPY.

My current goal is 2 forms of exercise a day.   Generally DDPY plus walking, biking, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, etc.....or in the winter cross country skiing or snowshoeing.

3 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Glad you are doing so well.  My back pain is about gone as well, esp if I keep up with the DDPY.

My current goal is 2 forms of exercise a day.   Generally DDPY plus walking, biking, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, etc.....or in the winter cross country skiing or snowshoeing.

My usual is a DDPY workout and a 1 mile Walk at Home video. Sundays I do longer cardio, usually a richard simmons video, and just a short DDPY workout - like the 10 minute Wake Up one. 

But yesteday and today I did nearly 90 minute DDPY workouts, both of which kicked my butt, so no cardio. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

So, if you have a smart tv, or apple tv, or roku, or chrome cast, etc you should b able to share your phone screen with your TV. On my iphone, when I start a workout at the bottom of the screen there is a little icon that looks like a tv. I tap that, and it brings up my options as to what devices I can cast to - in my case I have a roku and a smart tv and an apple tv so it lists all three, I pick one and tap it, and then suddenly the workout is playing on the TV instead of on my phone. My heartrate still shows on my phone screen, so I just lean that agains the TV or somewhere else I can see it. 

Actually, if I start screen sharing first, using screen mirror on my iphone, then my whole screen shows including my heart rate, but for some reason that sometimes acts up so I usually do the first option I mentioned. 

A few people don't have a smart tv or other device, or have terrible wifi in the house, and use an HDMI cable with a phone adaptor and physically plug the phone into the TV - supposedly those cables are cheap enough on amazon. 

Thanks. We have a smart TV so I'll try it. 

1 minute ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Thanks. We have a smart TV so I'll try it. 

That should work, as long as the TV and the phone are both on the same wifi network. (my husband has two in our house and I'm forever dealing with my printer being on one and my laptop on the other and wondering why I can't connect/print, lol)

• Like 1

Hmm. I don’t think I had a smart tv before.  Ugh. I really want to give it another try but I’ll probably have to think on that expense after Dh gets a job.  I sure do like the idea of getting a workout with less pain. 

2 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Hmm. I don’t think I had a smart tv before.  Ugh. I really want to give it another try but I’ll probably have to think on that expense after Dh gets a job.  I sure do like the idea of getting a workout with less pain. 

There are a few things for free on youtube - I think Wake Up is on there, and Stevie Richards has a few beginner ones on there. Might lt you try it out and see what you think before deciding. 

This is one