Menu

Ok... what is footy?

TexasProud

13 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Mine was just a guess…. Please go with those more knowledgeable!

No, you're right. In Europe, soccer is football. 

Usually the shortened term is pretty typically Aussie (maybe typical elsewhere?)

And we are uncivilized and call football soccer and all else 'the footy'. 

I hate the footy. 

I like football!

• Haha 1

Ok..so...

In NZ what I call soccer is Footy.

In Australia, what I call soccer is called soccer, and what they call Footy is what is officially Australian Rules Football, and from the wikipedia article is a drunken version of rugby with rules made by a 4 yr old with an incredible imagination. 

And in the UK and most of the world, what I call soccer is called football. (but not footy?)

And then there is American Football, which is never ever called footy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And none of this is to be confused with footsie...which can mean touching feet under the table or be a euphemism for more. 

No, but it's okay for guys to pat each other's butts on the footy field.

(Aussie Rules, anyway.)

Footy is definitely Aussie slang for football which is Australian Rules Football. Also called AFL (Australian football league)

If you put 'footy' into YouTube you get videos like this - a pretty decent explanation 

Rugby is just rugby or NRL (national rugby league)

Soccer is just soccer

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

That's universal, I think, lol. 

Why is that? lol

It's a bit weird when it comes off the field. Someone I know was running against a former football player in a political race, and they almost patted his bum. 😂 He decided to take it as a complimentary code switching error. 😂

3 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Why is that? lol

It's a bit weird when it comes off the field. Someone I know was running against a former football player in a political race, and they almost patted his bum. 😂 He decided to take it as a complimentary code switching error. 😂

The excuse in American Football is that it is one of the only areas without pads. But...the other sports mentioned they don't wear pads, so that kind of falls apart, lol. 

• Haha 1

If I’m saying it I mean Aussie Rules if I was talking about anything else it would get the full name.  In spite of watching my kids play Aussie Rules for the last four years I still can’t figure out the rules so don’t ask me to explain it!  However they seem to have a lot of fun although my dd seems to see it mostly as a kind of giant legalised brawl.

In my household, footy would usually mean NRL. If my husband is watching the footy, it's likely to be a Broncos game or the State of Origin.

I think we (Australians) have a tendency to change words to have a -y ending.

We don't put on sunglasses. We put on our sunnies.

We don't go to Woolworths. We go to Woolies.

We don't give a present. We give a pressy.

We don't watch the football. We watch the footy.

You get the idea 😉

It's all part of our bogan charm, I'm sure 😄

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

American Football is Gridiron in NZ.

I like that name. American football here in the US has also historically been referred to as Gridiron, but it is sort of archaic.

I wonder how many Americans would know what the term Gridiron means these days if they heard it? Not sure about that.

Bill

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I knew about footy the word I didn’t know in that thread was removalist.  Anyone want to clue me in?

I don't know which thread you are referring to, but here in Australia a removalist is a person or company that you hire to assist you to move house. They generally turn up with a truck and with muscles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I don't know which thread you are referring to, but here in Australia a removalist is a person or company that you hire to assist you to move house. They generally turn up with a truck and with muscles.

I would expect them to be “movies”.  

50 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I don't know what they are called here. But think of them as people movers

A people mover is a van in NZ. We actually call them people movers. LOL.  A moving sidewalk is a travelator. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

In my household, footy would usually mean NRL. If my husband is watching the footy, it's likely to be a Broncos game or the State of Origin.

all part of our bogan charm, I'm sure 😄

NRL is what?

10 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I like that name. American football here in the US has also historically been referred to as Gridiron, but it is sort of archaic.

I wonder how many Americans would know what the term Gridiron means these days if they heard it? Not sure about that.

Bill

I know it - but more as a term for the field than the game itslf. 

7 hours ago, lewelma said:

A people mover is a van in NZ. We actually call them people movers. LOL.  A moving sidewalk is a travelator. 

I had to google people mover recently, as I was reading a book set in the UK and they used the term. 

8 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, we call vans people movers here as well.

In Texas? I'd never heard it called that until I read it in a book set in England. Or might have been Scotland. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Wait...National Rugby League isn't Rugby???

Crazy but true.

I'm no expert at all, so I differentiate them by considering rugby as the one where they all pile on top of each other for some reason.

Funny story. Years ago, I was at a birthday party for a friend of one of my children. It was at their house, and I was hanging out in the back yard, chatting to their neighbour. Turned out that neighbour was the captain of the Australian Rugby team at the time. A huge national figure.

So yeah, my 'info' isn't expert-based at all 😏

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, found this to "explain" the differences between Rugby Union (UK version mostly) and Rugby League (Australian version mostly). 

Confusingly, both at least part of the time had the word "union" in the name. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_rugby_league_and_rugby_union

League - bogan 

Rugby - rich blokes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, found this to "explain" the differences between Rugby Union (UK version mostly) and Rugby League (Australian version mostly). 

Confusingly, both at least part of the time had the word "union" in the name. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_rugby_league_and_rugby_union

We have both rugby league and rugby union in the UK. There's a class/geographical divide here too.

• Like 1

After reading about all the differences between union rugby/rugby league/australian rules football/etc I fell asleep dreaming that there was a game that was a combination between basketball and barbecue potato chips. 

No idea what that would look like, lol. 

• Haha 5