Menu

Needed....the speed queen of cell phones

Ottakee

I am going to be needing a new phone soon.   I want the speed queen of cell phones.

Priorities are:

Great battery, finger print reader that works well, good call quality and signal....and one that recognizes your phone is up to your ear and doesn't mute the calls or have your ear pushing buttons all the time.

I use my phone for calls, texts, FB and messenger, emails, and audiobooks, and now Duolingo.   No gaming, watching much video, etc. No music, etc either.

I would love a smaller phone that actually fits in my pocket.  I have Verizon and currently an Android but would consider an Apple.    

Main things is it needs to work and work well and connect well with the android auto/apple car play in my van.

What is out there that is the speed queen of cell phones?   Budget friendly is ideal as this is not a status symbol or the need for the fanciest electronics.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Bill will be along shortly to tell you about the Miele of cell phones.

That would be an iPhone.

The Speed Queens of cell phones are the venerable Motorola DynaTac 8000X. Somewhat difficult to source these days. LOL.

Bill

21e4e49180433b2235cae96fb4545ef8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

15 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

The SE is one I am considering.   I am just not sure the high price of an apple phone is worth it.....but if someone wants to tell me why it is, I will listen.

My iPhone 6s and my husband’s iPhone 7 Plus just updated to the latest iOS 14.7. His much newer Nokia android phone doesn’t have any more security updates so he had to switch back to his old iPhone 7 Plus for office emails and stuff. SE is currently going for $250 for prepaid at Walmart. 
I bought my 6s shortly after it launch so it is at least 5.5 years old. 

I recently bought a IPhone mini and have been very happy with it.

I don’t know that it’s a Speed Queen among phones though.  

I like the size, and I bought a Lifeproof case for it so I figure I’m less likely to drop and and also it’s less likely to break if I do.  I find the screen plenty big, and the smallish size means that I can carry it securely in pockets and such.

It’s my first IPhone and it took just a bit of getting used to.  The main difference is that you swipe up to clear anything off the front screen, rather than hitting the home button.  It’s facial recognition works with multiple pairs of glasses, including sunglasses, but not with a mask on.  I use an IPad Pro as a secondary laptop, and it has been disconcerting but kind of convenient to see passwords and app installations move between the two of them without any volition on my part.

I love the S21 Samsung with the stylus but it’s more of a high end camera/low end computer than a cell phone.  I’m not going to be comfortable carrying it around in a pocket—it’s just too long.  I’m not completely sure I can hold it with a big case on it. I’ll probably get one for my work line, but not take it hiking, despite wanting to take excellent pictures with it.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

4 hours ago, Spy Car said:

That would be an iPhone.

The Speed Queens of cell phones are the venerable Motorola DynaTac 8000X. Somewhat difficult to source these days. LOL.

Bill

21e4e49180433b2235cae96fb4545ef8.jpg

We have one of those! DS23 found it at a thrift store when he was 10 or so. 🤣

• Like 1

I recently upgraded to the iPhone 12 mini, and I really like it. It is slightly smaller than the new SE. I had the original SE (which I perched used) and avoided getting a new iphone because I didn’t want a larger phone. The mini fits well in most of my pockets.

The battery life is great as long as I am not streaming video or constantly using data/internet. On my trip to DisneyWorld earlier this summer, the phone lasted full park days without needing recharging as long as I didn’t play a lot of Pokémon Go. I had packed several of our power packs to use to recharge during the day, but after day 1, I could leave those in the room. 

• Like 1

Pixel 4a checks off all your boxes and it's pretty inexpensive.  I think mine was $300, unlocked, from BestBuy.   My kids insist on buying themselves the (IMO) ridiculously overpriced iPhones but dh and I have been using Android phones for quite a few years and have no complaints, aside from the inability to use FT with them, but I can use my iPad or we can use other video chat apps.