Menu

Balanced/accurate writings on Native American history?

I'm looking for suggestions. Either a spine that has an accurate view of history concerning Native Americans (is there really a way in history to determine if a view is accurate?!? aargh) or a focused book on the topic.  I'm looking at the time period leading up to and following The Sioux Wars so 1851-1900

Thanks,

Kendall 

The three I landed on to incorporate Native American history into our American history study are:

An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West

The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee: Native America from 1890 to the Present

I personally found the first a little drier than the others, but it is a good overview. Nothing beats Bury My Heart for heartbreaking but necessary detail to balance rah-rah Manifest Destiny stuff. The last book is awesome because it quickly goes through 1890 (one chapter!), then moves forward to what is almost never taught. I mean, it didn't get much nicer as time went on, and this teaches how what was done from the "end of the Indian wars" to now has had a profound effect on the current state of native people and land.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

The three I landed on to incorporate Native American history into our American history study are:

An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West

The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee: Native America from 1890 to the Present

I personally found the first a little drier than the others, but it is a good overview. Nothing beats Bury My Heart for heartbreaking but necessary detail to balance rah-rah Manifest Destiny stuff. The last book is awesome because it quickly goes through 1890 (one chapter!), then moves forward to what is almost never taught. I mean, it didn't get much nicer as time went on, and this teaches how what was done from the "end of the Indian wars" to now has had a profound effect on the current state of native people and land.

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for!