Menu

Learning a new Little Boy Haircut?

Condessa

Anyone have suggestions for learning how to give a good haircut to a wiggly little boy that is not a buzz, and works with a big cowlick in front?

I need to learn how to do a new style before cutting ds7’s again.  Last time I did the same short buzzcut I normally do on the boys, I got a few comments about him looking sick/like a cancer patient/was his hair just coming back in?  He hasn’t really lost hair on chemo, maybe thinned slightly, but not really.  I don’t get why people should think he looks sicker with a buzz cut. He doesn’t really look sick at all, to me, except that he is very skinny.

When ds9 was littler, I would sometimes give him a bowl cut, but ds7 has my cowlick right on the front right side of his head.  As I learned when my dd10 (who also has our cowlick) wanted bangs, this length creates a several-inches long perfect spiral of hair sticking straight up, down, and out in all directions on that side of the forehead.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Condessa
  • Like 1

My son has always had a cowlick.  And we learned pretty early we needed to do a short on the sides/back, longer on top guys cut for it to lay well.  I've kind of learn to do it during covid, primarily on my DH, DS decided to just grow his hair out for now.  I use clippers on the sides and back and just go light on cutting the top.  Kind of like this ....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

My son has always had a cowlick.  And we learned pretty early we needed to do a short on the sides/back, longer on top guys cut for it to lay well.  I've kind of learn to do it during covid, primarily on my DH, DS decided to just grow his hair out for now.  I use clippers on the sides and back and just go light on cutting the top.  Kind of like this ....

Thanks

I also use clippers on the sides of my boys' hair and cut the top with scissors.

Sometimes, though, DS15 has wanted it shorter on top, and I have used the clippers all over, but used the comb attachment that leaves the longest hair over the top, then switch to the comb that is the next size down and then the next size down and so on, to taper the sides.

Do your clippers have combs to attach to leave the hair longer? That will give you options.

• Like 1

What’s kind of been trendy here has been super short/shaved at the back but long fringe.  I think that’s going to come to an end soon though.  Is it worth doing one at the hairdresser to modernise the style then watch what they do so you can copy it?  Obviously depending on COVID etc in your location.

• Like 1

I do a simple crew cut: i use a longer comb attached to the clipper for hair on the top. I use the shorter comb for the bottom-back. I use the left and right ear combs to clean up around the ears. Then I fade from the back to the top using an intermediate size comb.

It looks close to this:

• Like 1