Menu

Mandarin with private tutor. What makes up a credit?

I’m replying because my older daughter did Mandarin with a private tutor through high school (and graduated from Princeton in ‘20 with a Mandarin certificate/minor.) We did not worry about levels in high school though, and simply awarded credits based on time (and somewhat loosely, as I wasn’t counting hours. It was just clear that progress was being made and she attended sessions consistently.) I know that does not answer your question, but thought I’d share. 

• Like 1

Here are my course descriptions for Mandarin 1-4. We based it on time spent, and then I just wrote up what he got done in that year. Might give you a sense of what is reasonable. But I'm not sure it matters. Also, the textbook he used was a university course text. He got through all of the first book, and only about 1/5th of the second book. I think book 1 is for a 1 year university intensive Chinese course (intensive meaning it would be worth a course and a half for each term in a university setting, book to be completed in 2 terms). 

Mandarin 1. (Private tutor, taken before 9th grade, 1 credit)
The course introduced the sound system of Mandarin Chinese and basic skills in listening, speaking, reading, and
writing. This course had an additional aim of introducing features and aspects of Chinese culture. Goals included
correct pronunciation with proper tones, recognition of approximately 50 characters, and understanding of basic
grammar/sentence structures. This course was taught by a private tutor.
Textbook: Boya Chinese: Elementary 1, by Li Xiao Qi

Mandarin 2. (Private tutor, 1 credit)
This course furthered Mandarin speaking, reading, listening, and writing skills; however the focus was on reading
skills. Many aspects of everyday Chinese culture were introduced through these activities. Goals included the
recognition 400 characters and the ability to write 100 characters. This course was taught by a private tutor.
Textbook: Boya Chinese: Elementary 1, by Li Xiao Qi

Mandarin 3. (Private tutor, 1 credit)
This course studied more complex narratives while incorporating insights into Chinese history and culture. The
third year emphasized expanding vocabulary, improving understanding of grammar and structure, and increasing
confidence with writing short paragraphs. The goal was to recognize 600 characters by the end of the course and
the ability to write 200 characters from memory. The course was taught partly in Chinese by a private tutor using
Boya.
Textbooks: Boya Chinese: Elementary 1, by Li Xiao Qi

Fundamental Written Chinese, by Nora Yao and Margaret Lee

Mandarin 4. (Private tutor, 1 credit)
This course aimed to further develop the student’s proficiency in all skills, including listening, speaking, reading,
and writing. Broader and deeper aspects of Chinese culture and modern life were discussed. Goals included
recognition of 800 characters, ability to write short paragraphs, and the ability to understand a class taught mostly
in Mandarin. This course was taught by a private tutor.
Textbooks: Boya Chinese: Elementary 2, by Li Xiao Qi

Fundamental Written Chinese, by Nora Yao and Margaret Lee

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1