Menu

I’m a new Costco member!

mmasc

Woop-woop! It’s the little things that excite me lately. 😂 I’ve never even stepped foot in one bc we’ve never lived by one before now. So, tell me what is really good there! I saw a lot of Kirkland stuff—dishwashing detergent, laundry, etc. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to really browse everything. I’ll have to go back next week when I have time to linger, so I’d love to know what you all really like buying there!

• Like 5

We buy TP, paper towels, and Kleenex.  Kirkland brand is really good for those.  They have good prices on cleaning supplies like laundry and dishwasher detergent.

We also buy frozen hamburger patties, frozen chicken breasts (they are big), frozen pizza (including gf pizzas for my dd who needs it), butter, and vanilla ice cream.

They have some school/office supplies at good prices that we buy sometimes.  You can get a 6 pack of 1 inch binders cheaper that other places.  Also printer ink.  My printer chugs ink!

If they take your vision insurance, it’s a great place to buy glasses.  They will take a current prescription from anywhere.  My kids have to see a pediatric ophthalmologist, but we buy the glasses at Costco.

Happy bulk shopping!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband likes the gas price at Costco Gasoline (as well as the 4% cashback for gas if using Costco Visa).

He buys the air chilled fryer thighs (non-organic), the organic and non-organic frozen mango chunks (the non-organic ones tend to OOS here), the salmon fillets, the tub yogurt (Verka, Chobani, Fage), portobello mushrooms, eggs. He also likes the $1.50 hotdog combo at the cafe as a treat. 

We also generally have good experiences with Costco Tire Center. Sometimes my husband would make use of the tire pressure pumps there when he feels our tires are slightly deflated.

We made glasses at Costco and they were similar quality to those made at other places. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what we routinely buy there that is their house brand, Kirklands:

Gasoline - the price is really good, the lines move fast with two cars filling at a pump each time and move like clockwork here so don't let the length of the line scare you off

TP (if you want to try it out, they use it in their bathrooms there)

paper towel

dishwasher detergent

laundry pods

plastic wrap

parchment paper

ibuprophen

allergy meds (generic flonase and generic allegra)

face masks

hand sanitizer

Roasted chicken

bakery goods occasionally

We buy brand name:

Prilosec

Reynolds foil

Zip Lock zipper storage bags

Nature Valley granola bars

Oreos

Crest toothpaste

Oil of Olay moisturizer

discounted gift cards (restaurants, movie chains)

pajamas for me - both brand and Kirklands

Sketchers shoes

socks

Other occasional purchases we have made:

lighted Christmas garland (we'll probably get more this year)

media furniture - one time purchase, very good quality

tablets - we've done this twice, good prices in Dec. both times

flat screen tv - one time purchase, excellent price

I also used to buy my Cooper contact lenses there (they can't get my strength there anymore and they've never been able to get my glasses - I have a very strong Rx)

We don't usually purchase food there, other than the Oreos & granola bars, because we are a small family and don't have a deep freezer.

ETA: Peanut M&M's - They carry giant jars of these. I picked one up just before the closures started and it became our pandemic comfort treat.  Much, much less expensive than buying them at the grocery store or Target.

Edited by TechWife
  • Thanks 1

The Kirkland brand is often made by big names. Love the shampoo which is really Pureology.

https://moneywise.com/life/lifestyle/the-big-brands-behind-costcos-kirkland-signature-items

The organic produce is such a bargain.

We have a Costco Citibank card...between the card and the membership rebates, the membership pays for itself. 

Pharmacy is really well priced as well if you need to pay out of pocket or have a high deductible and want to try to use your $ wisely. I'm forced to use CVS ($$$) because of some agreement my husband's company has with them. Also, there are things you can buy that are only stocked behind the pharmacy counter. That's where I get the big tubs of Cerave cream.

That rotisserie chicken is super cheap and easy.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, calbear said:

The Kirkland brand is often made by big names. Love the shampoo which is really Pureology.

https://moneywise.com/life/lifestyle/the-big-brands-behind-costcos-kirkland-signature-items

The organic produce is such a bargain.

We have a Costco Citibank card...between the card and the membership rebates, the membership pays for itself. 

Pharmacy is really well priced as well if you need to pay out of pocket or have a high deductible and want to try to use your $ wisely. I'm forced to use CVS ($$$) because of some agreement my husband's company has with them. Also, there are things you can buy that are only stocked behind the pharmacy counter. That's where I get the big tubs of Cerave cream.

That rotisserie chicken is super cheap and easy.

Kirkland brand luggage was modeled after tumi for years.  (I grew up in Kirkland) 

Their cast iron casserole was made by le crueset.  They didn't have it for long.

They now make their own hot dogs and buns to lower their price, and they also subsidize the chicken. 

• Like 1

We buy a lot of the above there, plus basic groceries.  In addition to those, not necessarily Kirkland brand items:

Did anyone mention the Kirkland Body Soap?  Orange bottles in a 2 pack.  Good stuff.

Sartori Bellavitano Merlot Cheddar.  It’s a third of the price we can find it at Wegman’s. Very good cheese. 

Mayorga coffee, we like Inca or Aztec blend.

My current addiction is the Terra Fina spinach, artichoke and Parmesan dip.  I like it with cucumbers or celery.

Skinny Pop in huge bags, or “snuggle size” as we call them. I, ummm, can’t have it in the house though, as it destroys my carb count for the day!  I can’t stop at one serving.  🤣

I used to love their Protein bars, but alas, have an allergy now.  Still look at them fondly though.

ETA: Udi’s bread.

Edited by Spryte
  • Thanks 1

We've been active members for decades--way back when it was Price Club.  Currently, we live overseas so we don't buy many household supplies there (detergent, tp, etc) but did when we lived Stateside.  However, we ALWAYS hit up Costco twice before heading back to our tiny little country, the first trip for non-perishables, the second for perishables.  Merchandise does vary a bit by location (we buy in So. California). 

When Stateside, we regularly use the gas station (good prices and our credit card never seems to get compromised) and the pharmacy (YMMV).

So, FWIW, these are my standards for my "US wishlist":

Choco. chips
Soy Sauce
Maple Syrup
Vanilla Extract
Pace Salsa

Vitamins (D, Multi for men, multi for women) + others my husband buys for himself.
EmergenC
Kirkland Aspirin and Ibuprofen (not readily available where we live)
Reading glasses (a 3pk because I misplace glasses all the time)
Kirkland's Moisture Facial Wipes (I do this instead of soap/water at night).

Individual Hummus cups (Kirkland brand, I think)
Cheddar cheese
Brie Cheese
Kirkland's Nut bars
Macadamia Caramel Nut Clusters (yes, we haul this overseas and indulge once weekly until it is all gone).

If I'm in the States, I regularly peruse their book offerings and clothes and small appliances--these switch all the time so no guarantees but I've gotten some decent items over the years--from electric candles to cast iron to dress shirts to socks to cookbooks....  Costco has a wonderful return policy, so I feel confident buying without trying on because I know I can return an unusable item with no problem.

HTH!

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I'm not sure I needed to know that they have Jelly Belly Jellybeans.

And if you wait until around Easter Time they also have them featured in their "coupon" books (that you never need the coupons for) and can save a few more dollars per jar.

• Like 2

My kids are obsessed with Kewpie salad dressing. It's in the warehouse seasonally. My kids are also really into the Korean seaweed salad. You get 10x the quantity you would for the same price at the Asian market.

One thing you will learn about Costco is that there is a lot of stuff that shows up seasonally. So don't miss out. And a lot of things are regional as well. 

• Thanks 1

This is awesome, you guys! Thank you! Now I’ll have to try to not spend a fortune next week when I have time to really browse! 

I’m super excited about the house stuff, the CeraVe in the tubs (love that stuff!), and the body wash. I *just* went to Walmart yesterday and my kids picked out some body wash and tossed it in the cart. When I checked out, it was almost $8!😮 So yeah, I’ll be checking out that 2-pk @Spryte!

and pretty much ALL of the food looked tempting! I’ll start with some of the favorites listed above. 😊

• Like 1

I buy swimsuits for the kids from Costco each year, if you get them when they first show up they are around $12 for Speedo brand. 

I like to buy our dairy products there: milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, heavy cream.

Bread is a good price.

Snack items for the kids: granola bars, fruit snacks, crackers, etc.

• Thanks 1

Oh!  Parthenon Pitted Kalamata Olives.  Another staple here.  And Kirkland bacon.

There’s also a bagged kale and Brussels sprouts salad that the adults here love.  The prepared Caesar salad, in the prepared meal area, is good, too.  

Don’t forget the Rotisserie chicken. 😊

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

And if you wait until around Easter Time they also have them featured in their "coupon" books (that you never need the coupons for) and can save a few more dollars per jar.

Thank you. I think.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, calbear said:

My kids are obsessed with Kewpie salad dressing. 

Do they sell Kewpie mayonnaise too? I usually approximate a version of it at home because I’m too stingy to buy it, but maybe if I could get it at a discount price…

I always check the flyer for what has a coupon.

I buy Tide powder detergent when they have the coupon. 

Batteries when they have the coupon.

Paper plates with coupon

Trash bags

Scott TP with coupon

We all LOVE the "street tacos" ready to eat meal. I pick one up every time I'm in there!

Most food I can do better at Aldi, but I do get their ground beef to freeze. The meat is good there.

• Thanks 1

I forgot--we have bought glasses there several times.

Tires. We always get new tires there.

Any big purchase you are thinking about, check Costco first. Whether its car battery, lawn mower, raised garden bed, computer, Fitbit, etc. They don't alway have what you need, but always good to check.

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

I always buy a rotisserie chicken to make a pot pie, chicken salad, chicken soup or something.

We always keep peanut m and ms and their chocolate covered raisins for our sweet tooth. 

Reynold’s foil sheets are my go-to for foil here and are used to wrap biscuits for road trips, etc.  Very inexpensive.

Maple syrup is a good buy.

Watch for sales- we bought enough synthetic oil on sale last month to cover our oil changes for the next year, at less than half the price we pay locally. 

we buy the chicken breasts that come fresh , in six little packages. There’s usually about 1.25-1.5 pound in each pack, just right for us. six at a time is a month of chicken for us. 

That street taco meal, like someone mentioned above, is delicious. 

• Thanks 1

We buy a lot at Costco too, many of the items listed above. I didn't notice (maybe I missed it) nuts -- almonds, walnuts, pecans. Not with the snack nuts, but in the baking area.

We buy vanilla extract, peppercorns, and king Arthur flour. The big bag of basmati rice. Sometimes clothing. In winter they have great cozy socks.

This summer we bought 2 different kinds of solar powered outdoor lights.  Always buy our tires there. 

My store carries president brand feta in 2 forms, slabs (for lack of a better word) and crumbles. I buy the slabs all summer long. In winter we buy the Kirkland brie. Also other cheeses.

Their pesto is great and freezes just fine.

We buy meat there but I don't like the way their chicken is packaged.

A comment about the Kirkland TP: I have discovered that I can't use it, it makes me itch terribly. It took a while to figure it out. I think that is an unusual problem though and I think that it's a good value though I no longer buy it.

I also find it a pleasure to shop there. The employees are efficient and nice. Their self-check is not the most convenient (Sam's club do a that better) but overall I still prefer Costco for nearly everything.

• Thanks 1

I have been a member since it was Price Club and I live in an area where there are 5 within commuting distance and my DH or I go to one of them every week. Even when we take road trips, my DH finds the closest costco to fill gas and buy snacks and drinks!

Organic produce there is the cheapest that i can find - so, I buy the staples for veggies and fruit that are organic and then buy the rest at Whole foods or TJ's. Amongst the staples that I always buy: carrots, onions, blueberries, strawberries, cucumbers, avocados, green beans, mushrooms, broccoli, grapes, sweet potatoes, mandarins, garlic, lettuce, ginger - all organic. 

All our paper products (Charmin ultra, brawny, kleenex, wet wipes etc) - can't get a better deal anywhere else.

Small appliances - vacuum, toaster ovens, blenders etc.

Vitamins and supplements

Cleaning supplies - dishwasher, laundry and housecleaning related

Snacks - lots of organic options in my local stores.

Deli - pesto, cheeses, hummus, freshly made noodles

Yoghurt - Verka and Green Mountain organic yoghurts

Drinks - Acai berry juice, cold brew coffees

Frozen - organic: mixed veggies, mango chunks, cherries, berry blends, peaches, cauliflower crust pizza, Veggie Pizza made in Italy

Nuts - organic: roasted pistachios, almonds, walnuts

I will update when I remember more 🙂

Edited by mathnerd
  • Thanks 1

We buy all of the things.

Their store branded stuff is very, very high quality; sometimes much higher than the name brand factory's own product made at the same factory.

We save a ton of money on their fluticasone/generic flonase nasal spray and cetirizine/generic Zyrtec. That alone pays our membership fee.

We get the usual: paper towels, toilet paper, Kirkland shampoo & conditioner, body wash, Sensodyne toothpaste, tortilla strips, hamburger patties, frozen chicken breasts, TastyBite lentils, dishwasher tabs, etc.

We have been especially been surprised by: 2 pack muffins, birthday cakes, guacamole cups, and the Beautyrest Black 2-pk bed pillows.

I am occasionally disappointed in the quality of their lettuce (wilted), their tortillas (super stale) and by how quickly seasonal items sell out. If you see something you love, buy it because it will likely be gone by next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have a need for a good digital piano, start checking in August/September. They usually have really, really awesome bundles on Yamaha digitals for Christmas, but they often sell out before Halloween. I usually tell any of my students who are starting on a cheap, non-touch sensitive keyboard to try to go to Costco or find a friend with a membership, because it's usually several hundred dollars less than for the same set up at a music store.  

• Thanks 1

where I live, Costco sells poke. Thought the poke at Costco in Hawaii is waaaaay better.

My kids love the giant Costco chicken pot pies...the food (street tacos, etc.) we are talking about is their prepared foods section. It's a quick and easy option. The bakery is so cheap as well. 

I also get Shar gluten free bread from there. So much cheaper.

Edited by calbear
  • Thanks 1

Whisps cheese crunchies

coconut nut clusters

almond flour, monk fruit sweetener (a blend), spices, olive oil, avocado mayo

Kerrygold butter, cheese

bacon, canned salmon, tuna

organic Romaine, the chonky little ones, and other greens

asparagus, avocados, zucchini, sometimes mushrooms, little cukes to snack on, butternut squash, boxes of tomatoes

organic berries and if they have them, peaches

jars of artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, quinoa

Kirkland coconut water, the big ones

coffee

paper products and cleaning supplies

towels, sometimes summer slides, sometimes camping stuff

epsom salt, Dove soap, toothbrushes, vitamin D

restaurant gift cards. We get 30% off at one of our favorite places this way. $70 for a $100 gift card. Another is $75 for $100.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

Where is the street taco meal located? Frozen?

They have a chilled section of ready to heat/eat things like salads, street tacos, meatloaf and mashed potato meals, stuff like that. In our store it’s right next to the rotisserie chicken case.  

• Thanks 1

we buy a lot of stuff, and have been members since Nov 1983.

TP - we buy charmin, but Costco has great deals.  

kirkland tissue, produce (even if we don't use it all, dh insists it's cheaper than a little bag at the grocery store).  dairy, meat, seafood during roadshows.  I love the Norway smoked salmon (and it's a good deal).  They put it in two pkgs now, so I'll freeze one.

Rx, clothes, a lot of grocery items.  The raspberry crumble cookies are great.  The apple strudel things are good -but have a 'fat' after taste on the roof of my mouth.  their croissants are a good deal.

sheepskin boots and slipper come in aug/sept - maybe as late as early oct.  real sheepskin for cheap.  Mine will usually last a few years before I need to get another pair.  other clothes - jeans, holiday dresses for little girls, halloween costumes (they're getting them in now).   Down coats. rain coats.  Sports team stuff for your local teams.

Christmas/holiday ribbon, wrapping paper/tissue paper.  Christmas decorations and toys.  They have very good quality pre-lit LED trees 6', 9', 12'.  (I prefer more open)

halloween candy, other holiday candy.  Last winter, our local costcos had a ton of stuff for Chinese New Year.

mattresses, small appliances, large appliances (they're getting a better selection), electronics, phones, exercise equipment comes in in jan.

Easier to say what I won't buy . . . . a pleather office chair.  twice, never. again.  it spits bits of 'pleather' that sticks to every surface with which it comes into contact.

• Thanks 1

There' one of the biggest vendors for macadamia nuts. (with caramel covered with chocolate).  dudeling has decided he really likes the english toffee.

their cakes are good - not super fancy, but good.  (for dd's wedding, I ordered a nice tiered cake, then a couple more sheet cakes from costco.)

stock is constantly changing.

• Thanks 1

Just tried one of their round birthday cakes today. It was very good for a store-bought $13 cake! It was just a white cake, but the mousse filling in between layers made it a touch special-er. 😊 I also picked up their house made chicken salad and a big thing of croissants on impulse. But I plan to go next week and really look at all.the.things and try some new stuff you all have recommended, as well as stock up on staples. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Just tried one of their round birthday cakes today. It was very good for a store-bought $13 cake! It was just a white cake, but the mousse filling in between layers made it a touch special-er. 😊 I also picked up their house made chicken salad and a big thing of croissants on impulse. But I plan to go next week and really look at all.the.things and try some new stuff you all have recommended, as well as stock up on staples. 

The chicken salad and and croissants sure would have been helpful back in the 80’s when it was standard baby/bridal shower luncheon food - my 20’s had me throwing a lot of showers. Costco’s is really tasty but wayyyy too much for me and dh. 

• Like 1

At thanksgiving, they have pumpkin pies (and apple) in droves.  Big too.

they also have auto convenience items, as well as some household diy materials.

some offer restuarant? supply items, and have a lot of that type of stuff.  There are the business centers.

South Seattle has a car wash - I'd love to see that elsewhere.

• Like 1

I don't belong but my sister does, so I go with her when she's in town.

I am always amazed at how huge everything is. It looks "normal" in Costco because the building space/ceiling height is huge. Then I get the items home and they are HUGE in relation to my pantry/storage/fridge/freezer shelves. Just an observation. Lol. (Many, many years ago, I bought a "take & bake" pizza that turned out to be wider than my oven! Admittedly,  my oven is small. But still...)

From the prepped food area already mentioned, my young adults love the salmon with herb butter, the mac & cheese, & some kind of sandwich roll-up spirals (maybe turkey?).

I always find plenty of things from foods (love the giant bag of frozen stir-fry veggies) to non-perishables like parchment paper to seasonal items like plants & decorative solar lights.

Edited by Stacia
  • Thanks 1

All. The.  Things.

More specifically:

Meat - boneless thighs and fish/seafood

Produce - all but bagged salads make life easier and buying produce cheaper!

Clothing - Puma socks, J’bu sandals, tennis shoes, wool blend socks

Household - pans, electric blankets, sheets, and towels - both kitchen and bath.

Catfood, dog beds, car oil

Definitely tires and glasses and contacts!

Life easier - Frozen berries and GF stuff - love Kevin’s!

Maple syrup, uncured bacon, Tillamook cheese, Qunol CoQ10 & Curcumin, B12, allergy meds

Dates

Furnace filters if they have your size.

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, calbear said:

Yes, we pay for the executive membership ($110) and our last Costco check ( not counting Visa rebate) was about $300.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stacia said:

I am always amazed at how huge everything is. It looks "normal" in Costco because the building space/ceiling height is huge. Then I get the items home and they are HUGE in relation to my pantry/storage/fridge/freezer shelves. Just an observation. Lol. (Many, many years ago, I bought a "take & bake" pizza that turned out to be wider than my oven! Admittedly,  my oven is small. But still...)

The pizza is the same size as a family size from papa murphy's.

31 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Yes, we pay for the executive membership ($110) and our last Costco check ( not counting Visa rebate) was about $300.

Dh says Costco is our favorite store.  We spend more there than anywhere else.  and those rebate checks pay for the exec. membership and there is still a profit.

It's the same reason i finally broke down and got an amazon card.    . ..  .and an Alaska card . . . . (used only for plane tickets.)

• Like 1

On the homeschooling front, they sell Pentel Twist Erase mechanical pencils. THE BEST ONES EVER. The longest eraser and you click on the barrel when you grip. 0.7" leads which means my son doesn't constantly break the leads. Amazing price for them! And in the warehouse RIGHT NOW.

https://www.costco.com/pentel-twist-erase-click-mechanical-pencil%2C-15-count.product.100302064.html

• Like 1

Most of what we like has already been mentioned. A couple things of not yet mentioned are their Christmas wrapping paper and cards and the frozen tilapia.

As someone else mentioned, if you see something you like, buy it. If you don't need it, you can easily return it, even without a receipt. But many items disappear Within a few days or a week and aren't restocked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spryte said:

Kirkland bacon.

I don't know how I forgot this!  We love having the precooked bacon.   I have to admit when I first saw that, I rolled my eyes.  BUT!  No frying!  No splatters!  No ruined shirts, dresses, aprons!  The slices last for weeks and weeks so there is always have a slice or two ready to go in a salad, top a potato, make BLT's, and more.  

Yes, it is more pricy per pound (however, we are back down to a household-size of two with all the kids gone which helps), but still....  I loved having it on hand for all the reasons mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1