Menu

whole to parts algebra

mymommy1

58 minutes ago, mymommy1 said:

Thanks. I'll look at it!

I honestly haven’t exactly found that with AoPS. It’s still basically in standard order. I’d love to hear if it’s what you want, though!

I think @daijobu’s idea in the other thread of simply going through problems and looking things up as I needed is not a bad one. I definitely learned lots of math like that. How does that sound to you?

Yes, I think that's basically what I'll do. 

I teach math and have come to this problem lots over the years.  These skills have a purpose, but so many students never get to the part where they are used.  I'd love to find a rearranged curriculum that focused on problems first.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mymommy1 said:

Yes, I think that's basically what I'll do. 

I teach math and have come to this problem lots over the years.  These skills have a purpose, but so many students never get to the part where they are used.  I'd love to find a rearranged curriculum that focused on problems first.

Yes, I sympathize. I also prefer to teach it in the order you're describing, although that can be tricky: you don't want to give kids problems that are absolutely discouragingly overwhelming, either. 

But my curriculum is a stack of Clairefontaine notebooks and a pen, lol, which doesn't help you much. I might write one at some point, but I don't know when. 

• Like 1

Not sure it's a complete fit, but you could have a look at CTC's Algebra Word Problems Book 1.  I own it, it concentrates on getting the student to set up the problems, it's pretty much only problem based.  There's a Book 2 as well, I don't own that.

https://www.criticalthinking.com/algebra-word-problems-book-1-ebook.html

https://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Word-Problems-Book-1/dp/0894557998

Edit: Adding example page, Page 1.  CTC's sample page not representative, IMO.  All the beginning pages walk the students step by step through solving problems.

Algebra Word Probs - Page 1.pdf

Edited by Clickie
Example page
  • Like 2

Another thought I had was an Epsilon Math Camp recommendation (I got it from their website, we don't attend or intend to....)   for Douglas Downing's book, E-Z Algebra.  I bought it based on their recommendation, and it tells stories and as a part of the narrative, the characters start to solve algebraic concepts.  So it's not a formal, teach you a concept, now do a bunch of questions, instead the concepts unfold.

https://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Algebra-Douglas-Downing/dp/0764142577/