Menu

Help retrieving photos on external hard drive

mum

Since we are heading into fire season I am doing a MAJOR organize of family photos. I spent a week scanning every picture. I have not recovered yet. 

We used to have a Mac and I saved photos from the Mac onto an external hard drive. We no longer have a Mac.

Can anyone tell me how I get these pictures from the external hard drive onto the cloud? 

You can tell I’m not very tech savvy 🤣

Thank you for any help!!

I’m mainly bumping this for you, because I don’t have a Mac.

I do have a portable external hard drive with pictures. I simply use a cord to connect the hard drive to computer and then click on hard drive icon on computer to see the files stored on the hard drive. I open the file that contains the picture I want, and I click on it to open it. Then I can do whatever I want with the picture.

That said, I did have a “set of photo files” on my camera SD card that for some reason were set to mac mode and I had to have my daughter with the Mac do something to them, so I could see them on my computer. 

im guessing my info isn’t helpful, but it will bump your post up this morning.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NewnameC said:

I’m mainly bumping this for you, because I don’t have a Mac.

I do have a portable external hard drive with pictures. I simply use a cord to connect the hard drive to computer and then click on hard drive icon on computer to see the files stored on the hard drive. I open the file that contains the picture I want, and I click on it to open it. Then I can do whatever I want with the picture.

That said, I did have a “set of photo files” on my camera SD card that for some reason were set to mac mode and I had to have my daughter with the Mac do something to them, so I could see them on my computer. 

im guessing my info isn’t helpful, but it will bump your post up this morning.

Yes, this is me too. I only have PC's and laptops. Plug it in and go. Easy peasy. No MAC experience.

The photos on the hard drive aren’t on the cloud at all. Since I don’t have a Mac, I can’t plug the hard drive into anything that will read it. 

I wondered if anyone had found they could get this sort of thing done at a UPS store or office max or some such place?

If I'm understanding this correctly, the bottleneck issue appears to be that Windows does not natively recognize the standard format (HFS+) system that Apple uses to  create a file system on hard drives.

There are, however, 3rd party apps (such as Paragon) that allow Windows machines to read (and in some cases "write") to HFS+. I mention Paragon, but that's not an endorsement of it over other options (just a program I'm aware). So you could run such an app on a Windows PC and then copy the files to a hard drive formatted with exFat (the now standard Windows format) on the same machine. IMS Paragon has a free trial that would be all you need.

Two other options would be to find a Mac and attach both the old drive and a new one (latter in exFat) and copy the files over. Alternatively, you could find a local computer shop to do the same type copying for you.

One the files are on a drive formatted in exFat, you can proceed to upload to the cloud.

Whatever you do, do not reformat the original drive before you get the files off of it. Plugging an HFS+ drive into a Windows device will prompt a warning saying the drive needs reformatting to be usable. DO NOT DO THIS as it will erase all the files (hit "cancel").

If (after you copy the files over to a new drive) you could reformat the original drive to exFat (which Macs can read/write to) to use as a backup.

Bill