Menu

Quick…lol…I need a new washing machine

Scarlett

Oh hon.  You know what we are going to say.

Speed Queen all the way.

I bought mine about 4 years ago, and it’s a workhorse.  Fast, effective, doesn’t tear the clothes.  Before I got it I had actually forgotten that spots could sometimes come out without Spray n Wash, LOL.  (Although I still use it.). 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Speed Queen all the way.

I bought mine about 4 years ago, and it’s a workhorse.  Fast, effective, doesn’t tear the clothes.  Before I got it I had actually forgotten that spots could sometimes come out without Spray n Wash, LOL.  (Although I still use it.). 

Same!  We got ours in 2016 or 2017 based on recommendations here and I absolutely love it.  

• Like 2

There was a change in Speed Queen in 2018, and people practically rioted. INstead of the agitator and drum moving in opposite directions, they moved in the same direction - you do NOT want that kind. A year or so later they came out with a model that worked the old way, but I don't know about the newest ones. You will want to check which way the agitator/drum go. 

I'm lusting after a used Speed Queen myself. Can't bring  myself to pay full price when my current washer isn't broken. We did recently buy a used Speed Queen Dryer and DH was practically in heaven when he took it apart to check it and clean it. SO much easier to work on than other dryers - he just kept making rapturous noises, lol. Plus, no computerized parts, no chip board. It is made to be easily repaired, with very few things to go wrong. The washers are the same, from what I know. 

• Like 5

Everyone is going to say Speed Queen.  See what you can find, options are very limited in what you can actually order and buy here. 🙂

Also, Fwiw, my high efficiency Whirlpool uses 8 gallons per load. My clothes come out clean with no damage. The Speed Queen uses 22-23 gallons per load. For the amount of laundry we do, the difference is over 7,000 gallons of water a year. Where you live, the water difference may not be a big deal, but it’s a big one here in the very dry west.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Everyone is going to say Speed Queen.  See what you can find, options are very limited in what you can actually order and buy here. 🙂

Also, Fwiw, my high efficiency Whirlpool uses 8 gallons per load. My clothes come out clean with no damage. The Speed Queen uses 22-23 gallons per load. For the amount of laundry we do, the difference is over 7,000 gallons of water a year. Where you live, the water difference may not be a big deal, but it’s a big one here in the very dry west.

I despise my WP Cabrio HE.  I always use deep water and I rewash probably 1/3 of the loads I do.  

An article I read about the Speed Queen cult pointed out why some love them and others are happy wtih more modern machines - what kind of dirt you are dealing with. 

If you work in an office and have an occaisional food stain, etc, modern washers work well. They are also more gentle on fabric, so if you have expensive clothing, that's a factor. But Speed Queen, with all that water it uses, is better on actual dirt dirt - grimy blue collar work clothes, farm clothes, etc. 

The other consideration is time. The loads are smaller, but often done much much faster. 

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

I despise my WP Cabrio HE.  I always use deep water and I rewash probably 1/3 of the loads I do.  

If you want lots of water, you want the speed queen. Loads will be smaller, but way faster. 

We went with the Speed Queen this spring after our 14 yr old needed an expensive repair. It is way faster and does well cleaning. I went with the model that I could open mid-cycle, I love that feature. We bought it for the warranty and durability.

Edited by Soror

9 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

There are 3 SQ at an appliance store nearby.  All are 3.2 capacity.  I currently have 5.2.  I often feel like it is too big......but am I going to regret going back to that smaller size?

This year I went from a high capacity front loader to 2.8 capacity. My queen size items still fit, and I just do an extra load of towels a week. 
The capacity change had me nervous, but it’s mostly been a non issue.

I wanted a Speed Queen, but found out it wouldn’t fit in our space.

• Like 1

Oh, re the size- my previous washer was the largest residential washer I could find locally. The Speed Queen won't fit my big thick king comforter but everything else fits fine.  The smaller loads dry more quickly so that is a big plus 

Edited by Soror
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Soror said:

Oh, re the size- my previous washer was the largest residential washer I could find locally. The Speed Queen won't fit my big thick king comforter but everything else fits fine.  The smaller loads dry more quickly so that is a big plus 

Honestly the washer I have 5.2 is so big that my dryer won't really handle the largest of the loads.  So I don't wash a lot of giant loads.  I do wash my queen duvet often but I think a 3.2 will handle that.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

There are 3 SQ at an appliance store nearby.  All are 3.2 capacity.  I currently have 5.2.  I often feel like it is too big......but am I going to regret going back to that smaller size?

I bought a Maytag about three years ago. I looked at the SQs but was massively underwhelmed, mainly due to how tiny they were. Maybe there are larger sizes, but the ones I looked at were tiny. We rarely do huge loads (just me, DH and DS22 here), but I think what I consider to be a medium load would have been two loads in the SQ. No way that's going to save time, and certainly not water. Plus there's not a chance in Hades our sleeping bags or even a big blanket would have fit and had room to swish around adequately enough to get anywhere close to clean. I so wanted to like the SQ, but I was hugely disappointed in what I saw. I've been very happy with the Maytag. I can let it auto sense the water or I can set it for a full tub. I can pause it and open the door at any point other than when it's spinning. It easily handles everything I need it to handle.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

An article I read about the Speed Queen cult pointed out why some love them and others are happy wtih more modern machines - what kind of dirt you are dealing with. 

If you work in an office and have an occaisional food stain, etc, modern washers work well. They are also more gentle on fabric, so if you have expensive clothing, that's a factor. But Speed Queen, with all that water it uses, is better on actual dirt dirt - grimy blue collar work clothes, farm clothes, etc. 

The other consideration is time. The loads are smaller, but often done much much faster. 

Thanks for that info on the change, I will make sure I get the original kind.....

And here is the thing about our dirty.  Dh works in an office, I work in an office.  When he works around the house he does get his clothes super dirty. This HE cleans them fine.   That is not what I have a problem with.  When I wash my white sheets or dh's white dress shirt....I OFTEN, nearly every single time, get this strange streak of brown in various places on the item.  It appears to me that it is some sort of crease caused from the compression?   Not really sure but it is a real pain.

Run and get yourself a Speed Queen! I love mine! It will do a deep water wash like you want. Everything comes out super clean in only 30 minutes! When I first got mine, I actually took all the clothes out of our dressers and rewashed it all because the SQ did such a better job than my stupid Samsung washer did. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Run and get yourself a Speed Queen! I love mine! It will do a deep water wash like you want. Everything comes out super clean in only 30 minutes! When I first got mine, I actually took all the clothes out of our dressers and rewashed it all because the SQ did such a better job than my stupid Samsung washer did. 

Will it wash queen size blankets and duvets?  

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I bought a Maytag about three years ago. I looked at the SQs but was massively underwhelmed, mainly due to how tiny they were. Maybe there are larger sizes, but the ones I looked at were tiny. We rarely do huge loads (just me, DH and DS22 here), but I think what I consider to be a medium load would have been two loads in the SQ. No way that's going to save time, and certainly not water. Plus there's not a chance in Hades our sleeping bags or even a big blanket would have fit and had room to swish around adequately enough to get anywhere close to clean. I so wanted to like the SQ, but I was hugely disappointed in what I saw. I've been very happy with the Maytag. I can let it auto sense the water or I can set it for a full tub. I can pause it and open the door at any point other than when it's spinning. It easily handles everything I need it to handle.

Do you know how big your Maytag tub is?  That is on my list of possibilities, but honest I really want the SQ.  

When I got our SQ, we sometimes had to wash things a couple of times in our POJUNK Maytag to even get them wet, let alone clean.  I do adjust the water level for the load size in the SQ, but the nice thing is that *I* do that instead of ‘sensing’ program that doesn’t work very well.  I don’t have to rewash SQ stuff, and I believe that the water use evens out because of that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My speed Queen holds a rectangular basket mounded with clothes. That’s a large enough load in my book. Do people with super high capacity washers have a special source for giant baskets?  

The only thing I own that doesn’t fit is a double sleeping bag that stupidly doesn’t zip apart. Queen-sized stuff is fine. 

• Like 2

Is it the front loader or the top loader SQ people love? We are also in the market for a new washer and dryer. I want a super simple dryer with no bells and whistles, I know that for sure. And I don’t care if it’s a matching set or not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I would never buy a washer with only 3.2 capacity. Way too small!

• Like 1

I totally get the love for Speed Queen, but after much consideration, my next washer will be an LG front loader. For efficiency, load capacity...I want to be able to wash down comforters. My second choice would be Speed Queen.

My current washer and dryer is Whirlpool circa 2002. My husband had to replace a part last year, but it’s still serving me well. Hoping it hangs on for a few more years. 

If you really want to geek out on washing machines, check out Lorain Furniture and Appliance on YouTube. 🙂 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frances said:

Is it the front loader or the top loader SQ people love? We are also in the market for a new washer and dryer. I want a super simple dryer with no bells and whistles, I know that for sure. And I don’t care if it’s a matching set or not.

I have a top loader.  I wouldn’t hesitate to buy their front loader if I wanted a front loader but I prefer top loaders myself.

• Like 1

I have the top end Maytag front load washer/dryer. I bought it a year ago because it’s all that was left with covid.  I love that I can fit all my king sized comforters. 

I looked at SQ in the past but the amount of water compared to the front loaders is just not doable, and I about fainted at the price on their front load machines. I managed 20 years and 4 kids in cloth diapers with my old Whirlpool front loader, so I stuck with what has worked well for us. 

Edited by melmichigan

I thought all washing machines were still backordered due to the pandemic. Gotta say, that was one shortage I really didn't see coming! It may be better now, but if not, it might be a situation where you gotta get what you can get or else resign yourself to the laundromat for the time being. (We had to do that for ages before we could get a washer, and then they delivered the wrong one!)

• Like 1

We bought an Electrolux front loader about 4 years ago.  I wanted a SQ but when I researched I don't remember seeing any front loaders and we needed it asap.  

I am curious if the front loader cleans as well.   I know they are more water efficient.

Speed Queen!

DH found a place in San Marcos, TX that purchased a military contract-- (2000 old machines used 4-5 years).  The shop refurbishes them with a warranty-- sets go for around $800-850.  PS-- they still have a few hundred sets left!

When we sold our last house the new owners insisted we leave our washer/dryer even though our set was 25 years old (Whirlpool).

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our Speed Queen set-- so fast and the clothes are CLEAN.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

Speed Queen!

DH found a place in San Marcos, TX that purchased a military contract-- (2000 old machines used 4-5 years).  The shop refurbishes them with a warranty-- sets go for around $800-850.  PS-- they still have a few hundred sets left!

When we sold our last house the new owners insisted we leave our washer/dryer even though our set was 25 years old (Whirlpool).

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our Speed Queen set-- so fast and the clothes are CLEAN.

9 hours from me 😂😢🤦🏻‍♀️

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

You said yours is an industrial…..do you know the tub capacity of yours?  The three I am seeing that are sold locally are all 3.2

I looked last night and I couldn’t see it listed. But googling told me 3.2 and took me to some video that’s supposed to show me how it fits as much as competitor’s larger tubs. I didn’t watch the video. 

• Thanks 1

Regarding water usage—something I have not done yet but intend to is set up my washing machine to feed into a gray water drain to use for watering the landscaping.  I believe that as long as you have no food plants in its direct path that is supposed to be sanitary.  The reason I have not done this yet is that I want the option of sending it down through the septic tank in the event of a load of cloth diapers.  

Also, just in general, you think of water use differently if you have septic.  Because it all ends up outside, one way or another, on your property.  And since we have almost entirely stopped watering the yard, that’s actually helpful to the trees.  

I still try to conserve water a lot, and I do adjust our fill height to the size of the load, manually and religiously.  We almost never use the second rinse anymore, even though I tend to get hives from detergent contact, because the SQ rinses so well in the first rinse that I don’t need that like I did the the POJunk Maytag.  Also I go longer between loads of sheets and towels than I would prefer, specifically to conserve water.  We have installed very low flow toilets and we never hose off the deck or driveway.  I am not cavalier about water use and thought it through carefully before buying our SQ, but on balance even in a water wise sense I think it was an excellent choice for us.  

I dunno know about those Speed Queens. With all the love they get on this forum and the internet generally (except for the "new" 2018 model debacle) I was strongly considering an SQ as a potential replacement for our 17 year old Miele that I wrongly believed was heading south (turned out we had a simple electrical junction box issue).

The SQ gets scathing reviews over cleaning quality in independent testing. Likewise they are notoriously rough on clothes. The kicker for me was that SQ essentially cheated on Department of Energy efficiency standards when they rebooted the TC5 by creating a "normal cycle" that barely meets standards, but is so horrible at washing that they tell customers not to use "normal" in everyday use. This "normal" cycle was created simply to evade efficiency regulations. Not kosher IMO, especially in drought-prone California. They are simply too wasteful.

If they don't clean well (a point of debate), and they are very rough on fabric (not so debatable), and they are wasteful of water, I think I'll stick with Mieles (which sip water and power, clean fantastically, are famously gentle on clothes, and easily last as long as SQs. Better long-term value IMO.

When our machine appeared to be "down" (again the issue was not with the Miele) I took our clothes to the local laundromat, which has Speed Queens, and my wife was not at all amused with how roughly they treated the clothes. They are essentially laundromat machines w/o a coin slot.

If the quality of clothes handling of commercial laundromat washer/dryers isn't an issue for a homeowner, SQ at least last a long time. But being that rough on clothing vs a Miele was a deal-breaker here (as if the cheating on water efficiency wasn't enough).

Bill

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 12:28 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

Oh hon.  You know what we are going to say.

Speed Queen all the way.

You may have answered this in the thread somewhere but can you tell me which model you have?

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Re water usage. I figure it takes less water to wash things once with my SQ, then to have to rewash loads to get them clean like I had to with my water efficient front loader. Or at least the same amount. 

Exactly. And the time waste, oh my word.  

• Like 1