Menu

Puberty/ coming of age books for boys

lulalu

It might help if you specify age and what you want covered. Some books discuss physical and emotional changes only, while other books also discuss sexual stuff and girls. I am currently researching the same. I had my DS read a book called Guy Stuff last year with DH which is not from a Christian viewpoint but it was mostly about physical changes, hygiene, and nutrition although disclaimer: there was one small blurb about taking care of ear piercings.

I'm currently looking at a 3 book series by Luke and Trisha Gilkerson that is for both boys and girls.

Also, The Ultimate Guys Body Book by Larimore

https://www.amazon.com/dp/031072323X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_6NCWCAMXAW5MDZXS1J3T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We used The Talk series by the Gilkersons. I liked it a lot and it was easy to use. It allowed us to be age appropriate and go as in depth as needed for all our boys. The youngest was 5 and the oldest 9 at that time. We did one book at a time, the first all together. Then we did the next two as the aged and needed that info. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, My4arrows said:

We used The Talk series by the Gilkersons. I liked it a lot and it was easy to use. It allowed us to be age appropriate and go as in depth as needed for all our boys. The youngest was 5 and the oldest 9 at that time. We did one book at a time, the first all together. Then we did the next two as the aged and needed that info. 

Thankyou! That's the series I mentioned that I'm looking at for my 3 boys! I haven't purchased them yet because I can't seem to find any sample pages to view at all.

Edited by Servant4Christ

Thanks for the recommendation. 

DS is 9 and going through a big growth spurt and emotions are high. 

I want a book to cover the physical changes, and sex. We will just work through it as needed. And probably a different book covering maturity (responsibility, work, emotions, etc.) 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 3:53 PM, Servant4Christ said:

It might help if you specify age and what you want covered. Some books discuss physical and emotional changes only, while other books also discuss sexual stuff and girls. I am currently researching the same. I had my DS read a book called Guy Stuff last year with DH which is not from a Christian viewpoint but it was mostly about physical changes, hygiene, and nutrition although disclaimer: there was one small blurb about taking care of ear piercings.

I'm currently looking at a 3 book series by Luke and Trisha Gilkerson that is for both boys and girls.

Also, The Ultimate Guys Body Book by Larimore

https://www.amazon.com/dp/031072323X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_6NCWCAMXAW5MDZXS1J3T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Why would this need a disclaimer? 

20 hours ago, hippymamato3 said:

Why would this need a disclaimer? 

Some do not allow their boys to get their ears pierced.

In our case, my son was genuinely confused when he read that part because he's never even heard of a boy his age having their ears pierced so he thought it was a misprint that belonged in the girls book. I just told him some do and he responded, "Um, okaaay. If you say so."

• Like 1

Try Boyhood and Beyond to challenge your growing boys to step boldly into manhood. Created for Work is another title by this author. We read a chapter aloud to the family each week and even the girls enjoyed it. https://www.amazon.com/Boyhood-Beyond-Bob-Schultz/dp/1883934095/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=boyhood+and+beyond&qid=1627561474&sr=8-1

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Village Hut Mom said:

Try Boyhood and Beyond to challenge your growing boys to step boldly into manhood. Created for Work is another title by this author. We read a chapter aloud to the family each week and even the girls enjoyed it. https://www.amazon.com/Boyhood-Beyond-Bob-Schultz/dp/1883934095/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=boyhood+and+beyond&qid=1627561474&sr=8-1

That looks great! Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...