Menu

Latin for college foreign language requirements?

It will. The only exception to this that I've ever seen is for the military academies.

Sometimes this gets bandied about in homeschool circles that Latin doesn't count, which is just not true (again, other than the military academies, I've never seen it be an issue). Some schools may prefer a living language. But for others, Latin may stand out. Latin is not offered at all colleges though, so if she faces a language requirement IN college, then that's another issue and Latin may or may not allow her to test out of it or exempt it. There are some colleges that explicitly will not count Latin for the college graduation requirements if the program requires a language.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went through a bunch of college requirements several years back (post would have been around the end of February 2014).

At that time, the only college I could find that said Latin didn't fulfill their language requirement for ADMISSIONS was the US Air Force Academy. (And even then, another poster mentioned her child had been offered an appointment despite only having Latin, so evidently they had leeway.)

As @Farrar mentioned, Latin doesn't always meet the college graduation requirements for foreign language proficiency. That requirement is going to depend on the specific college and what major the student does.

ETA: I just checked and these days, the Air Force Academy WILL accept Latin for their foreign language admissions requirement (but does not accept ASL).  So I would put the oft repeated caution about Latin into the no longer true category. Having said that, I think a wise student is able to point to a pretty rigorous study of Latin if that is what they are pursuing. A roots study isn't developing fluency in the language. I'm personally also skeptical of programs like Rosetta Stone and Duolingo, unless there is someone with language fluency who is supervising the studies. My experience is that online programs promote passive understanding (listening and reading) as measured in a multiple choice environment, but aren't so great with active requirements (speaking and writing) or understanding/translating larger blocks of text.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fourisenough said:

I sure hope so! DD will be applying to selective colleges this fall with four years of Latin as her foreign language experience. I have not seen one single school that says they will not accept it yet.

I agree. The study of a Classical Language in high school is considered the equivalent of a Foreign Language study for meeting college admissions requirement.

• Like 1