Menu

DFW peeps . . .

gardenmom5

7 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

every day over 100?  really?/

OK - as I've perused the weather report, there are multiple days where it is also giving chance of showers.  how likely are they to actually occur?  

Well, a few summers ago, we had over 50 days that were over 100!  So yeah.  The summer has been unusually mild so far. This is much more normal for July.   I just looked at the forecast.  They will be pop up, if that. So it may rain in Arlington for 20 minutes but nowhere else in DFW, but the chance of rain isn't very much, so you may not have any at all.

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Well, a few summers ago, we had over 50 days that were over 100!  So yeah.  The summer has been unusually mild so far. This is much more normal for July.   I just looked at the forecast.  They will be pop up, if that. So it may rain in Arlington for 20 minutes but nowhere else in DFW, but the chance of rain isn't very much, so you may not have any at all.

I guess I'm just feeling surly as the forecast when I was there April/May were "sunny"  . . and it is my fault I didn't bring a rain coat.  We had tornado sirens the day I arrived, and lightning hitting on the next street over (it hit two doors down a few years back). ... . . . 

I can do this . . . 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I guess I'm just feeling surly as the forecast when I was there April/May were "sunny"  . . and it is my fault I didn't bring a rain coat.  We had tornado sirens the day I arrived, and lightning hitting on the next street over (it hit two doors down a few years back). ... . . . 

I can do this . . . 

Um, I don't own a raincoat. An umbrella is what I use. You will be fine with an umbrella. You can get a cheap one at Walmart if you need one. It doesn't rain enough here to own a raincoat.

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

Um, I don't own a raincoat. An umbrella is what I use. You will be fine with an umbrella. You can get a cheap one at Walmart if you need one. It doesn't rain enough here to own a raincoat.

I'm at my dd's.  And when I was here in april/may- it was POURING BUCKETS.  She gave me her dh's raincoat, and an umbrella was woefully inadequate.  Harder than it does in Seattle.  She had rain here on Monday.

Edited by gardenmom5

On 7/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, gardenmom5 said:

I'm at my dd's.  And when I was here in april/may- it was POURING BUCKETS.  She gave me her dh's raincoat, and an umbrella was woefully inadequate.  Harder than it does in Seattle.  She had rain here on Monday.

yea, we definitely get rain that is not handled by just an umbrella. I hate getting caught out in that stuff. (I'm in Houston, but surely DFW gets similar). 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 11:45 AM, gardenmom5 said:

52 minutes ago, TheReader said:

yea, we definitely get rain that is not handled by just an umbrella. I hate getting caught out in that stuff. (I'm in Houston, but surely DFW gets similar). 

Dd goes to college in Dallas.  I keep telling her she needs a raincoat and boots, but she knows better....    Last year wasn't a problem because all of her classes were virtual.  I guess she'll learn the hard way because there's only so much I can do.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Dd goes to college in Dallas.  I keep telling her she needs a raincoat and boots, but she knows better....    Last year wasn't a problem because all of her classes were virtual.  I guess she'll learn the hard way because there's only so much I can do.

oh, yep. Our boys resisted as well, until the laptop in the backpack started to be at risk (and the puddles too much to dodge). We set them up with those "disposable"  ponchos (can fit over a backpack) and one went ahead and got rain boots. Much happier that way, in the end. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Why???? I have lived in Texas for 50 years. No rain boots EVER.  Raincoat only as a kid. You run to car or school with an umbrella and you are fine.  If it is pouring buckets don’t go on a picnic.  I have never needed it. 

Now, that said, I do have a rain jacket and pants that I take with the RV . We have hiked in Alaska and Colorado in them when it is misty and cold.  But here in Texas I am not out in it. An umbrella is plenty. Never had need.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheReader said:

oh, yep. Our boys resisted as well, until the laptop in the backpack started to be at risk (and the puddles too much to dodge). We set them up with those "disposable"  ponchos (can fit over a backpack) and one went ahead and got rain boots. Much happier that way, in the end. 

I go to school in Dallas. I just don’t get this.  Never ever had an issue. 

32 minutes ago, TheReader said:

I made her bring a waterproof bookbag cover that I hope she keeps with her.  And I warned her to bring her giant ziploc bags for her laptop and/or notebooks so everything inside the bookbag doesn't get ruined.  Hopefully, she'll listen before learning the hard way. 

7 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Why???? I have lived in Texas for 50 years. No rain boots EVER.  Raincoat only as a kid. You run to car or school with an umbrella and you are fine.  If it is pouring buckets don’t go on a picnic.  I have never needed it. 

Other parents in my college facebook parent group insisted they are needed in Dallas.  I'm not familiar with the area at all and just went by their posts saying how much rain protection is needed in the area.  Thank you for your input that you've done fine without these items!  It's nice to hear all sides!  🙂  And, in this case, I'd rather dd be right that she doesn't need the raincoat/boots.  

Edited by Kassia

30 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Dd is in Ft Worth - so a good 45 minutes west.  The day 2dd and her dh were scheduled to move out of their rented condo and into their house - they had tornado warnings.  (they had a garage, so they went through there to keep everything dry).

The day I got here last spring, the tornado sirens went off - here (they are localized) - twice.   dd's backyard floods (they live on top of a hill) - only a few inches, and 1ds had a great time jumping up and down in the water.  Then there is a drain that comes out to her front yard and makes a fountain.

we were shopping the day I left, the rain was coming down so hard in the big box stores - you couldn't hear the thunder.  I was soaked bringing the groceries to the car.  My flight was delayed taking off for weather. (twice.) 1dd and 1ds came in March - their plane was diverted to Austin for weather.  (after circling for a couple hours.)

there are also signs in low lying areas to "do not drive into standing water on road".(or something like that).  because it can be too deep to get back out.  or worse.

38 minutes ago, TheReader said:

I bought my car online - it came from a dealer in Weatherford (dsil test drove it first).  I found disposable ponchos in it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Dd is in Ft Worth - so a good 45 minutes west.  The day 2dd and her dh were scheduled to move out of their rented condo and into their house - they had tornado warnings.  (they had a garage, so they went through there to keep everything dry).

The day I got here last spring, the tornado sirens went off - here (they are localized) - twice.   dd's backyard floods (they live on top of a hill) - only a few inches, and 1ds had a great time jumping up and down in the water.  Then there is a drain that comes out to her front yard and makes a fountain.

we were shopping the day I left, the rain was coming down so hard in the big box stores - you couldn't hear the thunder.  I was soaked bringing the groceries to the car.  My flight was delayed taking off for weather. (twice.) 1dd and 1ds came in March - their plane was diverted to Austin for weather.  (after circling for a couple hours.)

there are also signs in low lying areas to "do not drive into standing water on road".(or something like that).  because it can be too deep to get back out.  or worse.

Yes, their spring storms are scary with tornado/tornado warnings!  Definitely makes me nervous.  And dd has had good luck with traveling to/from home so far, but when we flew down there two years ago for a campus visit, it was a nightmare with cancellations and delays.  A friend of mine was traveling to Austin at the same time and her trip was just as bad (and she had a small child with her, which made it more stressful).  We almost missed the campus visit due to all the delays/cancellations.  I was really surprised dd chose to attend the school after that trip!  

IME, not many people in Texas wear raincoats and rainboots.  Although there may be heavy rain, it is often also very hot and humid, so you feel like you are going to melt in a non-breathable, waterproof item.  It isn't like a cool, damp, drizzle like in some other parts of the country.  Personally I much prefer rain ponchos to umbrellas; I can never seem to hold whatever else I need to hold and an umbrella and it takes me more time to get it open and closed getting in and out of the car than just "running for it".  And, if it is raining that hard, it is likely to be windy, making holding an umbrella more difficult and the wind just blows the rain under the umbrella.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

IME, not many people in Texas wear raincoats and rainboots.  Although there may be heavy rain, it is often also very hot and humid, so you feel like you are going to melt in a non-breathable, waterproof item.  It isn't like a cool, damp, drizzle like in some other parts of the country.  Personally I much prefer rain ponchos to umbrellas; I can never seem to hold whatever else I need to hold and an umbrella and it takes me more time to get it open and closed getting in and out of the car than just "running for it".  And, if it is raining that hard, it is likely to be windy, making holding an umbrella more difficult and the wind just blows the rain under the umbrella.

Very good points! Yeah, way too hot to put on a raincoat this time of year for sure.  And yes, I have seen ponchos at Six flags and such. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Yes, their spring storms are scary with tornado/tornado warnings!  Definitely makes me nervous.  And dd has had good luck with traveling to/from home so far, but when we flew down there two years ago for a campus visit, it was a nightmare with cancellations and delays.  A friend of mine was traveling to Austin at the same time and her trip was just as bad (and she had a small child with her, which made it more stressful).  We almost missed the campus visit due to all the delays/cancellations.  I was really surprised dd chose to attend the school after that trip!  

dsil is determined to get 1ds a job down here.  (he has one class and his thesis left.)  - he was on that flight that was rerouted to Austin.  Doesnt' seem to have slowed him down - but COL is much lower than home.

• Like 1