Menu

Panic attack :-/

3 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I have been using the CBD gummies to deal with anxiety. (I feel like I just admitted to illicit drug use, 😂). They are definitely helping. I don't feel like I am "on" anything, and I don't need to take them daily if I don't want to. 

Something to think about if the panic doesn't subside. 

Same.

Dh and I were given several trial packets of CBD capsules after a ride once.  They were intended to be used for muscle relaxers, but dh and I threw them in a drawer and left them there until a couple of months ago.  Between the stress and anxiety of the year and a few other factors, I ended up with my first migraine in over a decade in February.  That one single capsule helped soooooo much more than anything else in the medicine cabinet.  There was finally a feeling of being normal.

The trial packet had 5 capsules.  I have 2 left in it, plus all the rest of the unopened packets, so it's definitely not a habit or anything I need to take regularly.  But when it gets to be too much, I have to admit the CBD oil really helps release the anxious feeling without any side effects.  I never thought I would try it, but I'm glad I did. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I'm interested in CBD oil/ gummies/ etc.  I just don't know where to start.  Does anyone recommend a brand?

See, I'm so nervous when I run out of what I have because all the shops I've seen look sketchy AF.  I don't want to go in. 😄  It also means my experience is very limited and I can't recommend a brand beyond what I have: Floyd's On The Go.

The capsules I have are 25mg. Dosage of products can vary, but I feel like this amount works for me.

• Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

See, I'm so nervous when I run out of what I have because all the shops I've seen look sketchy AF.  I don't want to go in. 😄

We have a new(ish) organic farm down the road that makes their own CBD products. I haven’t tried any yet, but the above made me laugh because I expect these places to look sketchy, but ours is a bright and shiny, crunchy granola millenialish veggie place, lol. 

Hugs to you, Number. Anxiety stinks, and you are not alone! And super-duper-extra-happy birthday wishes to your dd! Sheesh! I'm a serious introvert, and I'm dying to party like it's 1999. (Hey, remember 1999? You know, when we could actually party without being afraid we'd die or kill someone else because we piled into a room like sardines and then sang karaoke? Yeah, me too. Anybody have a spare Tardis? 😉)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

I'm interested in CBD oil/ gummies/ etc.  I just don't know where to start.  Does anyone recommend a brand?

I have these. 

What I have been told is that CBD can be a little brand-dependant. I know 2 people that use CBD for anxiety and both said that some brands were too much for them and made them feel weird. So if you find a brand you like, stick with it.  

I tried CBD oil from another company.  The dose was too much and made me tired. And slurping down oil is just gross, so I am sticking with the gummies. 

(Now I feel like a.drug dealer 😂😩 )

Disclaimer: I have, like, 10 days experience with these, so take my opinions for what that is worth.

1626921467426440891433.jpg

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m sorry!

I typically have some of the best air quality in the country, so when I saw my area in near orange on the map yesterday, it definitely freaked me out. I have zero experience with this kind of thing.  

I actually find the air quality, when it deteriorates, worse than lockdown. 

I'm in lockdown right now, and eating lunch on a sunny verandah. It feels good!

When we had ongoing bushfire smoke, I couldn't go outside at all. Couldn't open windows. That made me panic far more, and I'm not remotely claustrophobic. 

• Like 5

My Dr suggested I try CBD for some of my long covid symptoms.  He said it is better absorbed through the skin than the digestive system and suggested a cream or patch.  I haven't yet researched to find one.  Curious if anyone who has used CBD has used that form. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Ugh sorry, hope I’m not contributing too much to that.  And wildfire smoke doesn’t help.  The animals also get panicky when it’s like that so I think it’s a normal response for mammals.

To my panic? Not at all. I prefer to know rather than not to know. I Google it, anyway. 

• Like 1

As an update, I feel better this morning, although I did wind up having a stupid argument with DD9 (first time I've typed that!) on her birthday, so that wasn't optimal. (We're currently constantly at odds about her unwillingness to do things she's not interested in, and it sadly can spill over into normal life.) 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

As an update, I feel better this morning, although I did wind up having a stupid argument with DD9 (first time I've typed that!) on her birthday, so that wasn't optimal. (We're currently constantly at odds about her unwillingness to do things she's not interested in, and it sadly can spill over into normal life.) 

BTDT and still doing that. I just tell myself that being strong willed might serve them well in the future. 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I give CBD oil to my elderly cat. Maybe I'll try some. I'm not having panic attacks, but I do feel an underlying nervousness that I never used to have. Like a tight feeling like n my chest. I'm so mad about it because I used to be the happy-go-lucky type.

Too bad the cat's CBD oil is salmon flavored! 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bibiche said:

BTDT and still doing that. I just tell myself that being strong willed might serve them well in the future. 😜

I do tell myself that, but sometimes it's not enough to get me over the humps, lol. 

• Like 1

According to NY Mag: https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-cbd-gummies.html

CBD does nothing for me on its own. I need some THC for them to do anything to help my anxiety and pain. But, they do help. A lot of people can use CBD alone and get relief, though, so it's worth a try.

I never bought any cannabis-related products while things were illegal. Even while they were medical only, I didn't go through the bother of getting an rx. But once it became fully legal recreationally in CA, I ventured into a dispensary to check things out, expecting it to be illicit and sketchy as was mentioned above, and it was just... not.... at all. It was so bizarre at first, but now it's just like going into a pharmacy with really good service (remember those?), and one of the things that I like most about legalization is how much the stigma has gone away. You see people from all walks of life in dispensaries -- from the young to the old, from the healthy surfer just looking to chill, to the stressed out businessman who needs help with anxiety, to the menopausal grandma who needs help with hot flashes and sleep, to the Vietnam veteran who needs help with his pain and PTSD. Every dispensary I have ever been to has had a really low key/low pressure, high quality/good service/friendly vibe. I've even taken my parents, who live out of state, and they were amazed. My Dad, the retired LAPD cop who now lives in Boise, was especially blown away.

Anyway, I don't remember the legal state of affairs in NY, but I wouldn't worry about using CBD gummies.

Another thing that could help is magnesium. It has a calming affect on a lot of people. Other non-pharma options like mindfulness meditation and massage help me. Yoga helps too, but I am lazy.

And then there are always pharma options like Klonopin or Ativan. 

Feel better, friend. <Hugs> And Happy Bday to DD!

• Like 2

We have gone out to Reno pretty regularly because L is involved in a program based there, and that was what struck me most. Not the presence of various things that were illegal in TN, but how normal they were. So, there was a medical dispensary right next to WinCo, where I'm used to seeing a CVS or Walgreens (and, once recreational was legal, those were similarly placed). Slot machines were often right next to claw machines and gumball machines and maybe a video game or two. I think I had kind of had a mental image of legalized X looking like illegal X, and it just plain doesn't. 

• Like 1

I understand how nervous you are. I have been letting my kids do a ton of outside activities with their friends this summer. Yesterday, we went to the beach with 18 kids and their families. I wasn’t too worried because all of the teens and parents are vaccinated and there were only 4 kids under 12, but mostly, I wasn’t worried because it was outside and not crowded at all. 

Next month, we are traveling to SoCal with another family to go on college tours. Our friends want to spend a day at Disney. I am going to tell them that they can take my 14 year old to Disney for the day, and if Dh wants to go, he can, but I’m going to spend that day visiting family with my 11 year old, because I just don’t want either of us around that many people. 

As far as anxiety goes, I have a little bit of experience with that. Buspar plus Gabapentin was working miracles for mine, but the Gabapentin started giving me vertigo and I had to taper off of it. My doctor put me on a low dose of beta blocker to stop slow my heart rate and stop the physical effects of the panic. I was doubtful about this, but it does seem to help and it isn’t changing affecting my brain in any sort of way. 

5 out of 5 of my kids suffer from anxiety and they run the whole gamut of treatment. My son is on 3 antidepressants and takes benzodiazepines 3 times a day. His psychiatrist says he it the exact patient that these drugs were designed for. 

My oldest resists medication of any kind and her anxiety recently started edging on mania and she was unable to sleep or focus for days at a time.  The first thing I had her do is get on a good Thorne multi vitamin. Then I had her add D3 and time released B complex and also both magnesium Glycinate and magnesium L-Threonate. Those started giving her noticeable relief very quickly. She feels so much better and was able to drive to Chicago yesterday even though driving anxiety usually keeps her from having the freedom she wants. 

Additionally, I had her try both L-tryptophan and Valerian as needed when she feels the intrusive thoughts or the physical symptoms of panic. I’ll have to ask her which one works better for her. 

I understand not wanting to take anything that alters your brain, or numbs you out, but it is definitely worth giving these vitamins and supplements a try for a couple of months. 

For some reason, I have a more difficult relationship with one of my kids than with the 4 others combined. I’ve recently seen how most of the issue has been 22 years of both of us having untreated anxiety and how the disorders just fed off of each other. I wish that I had gotten both of us help when she was your daughter’s age, but I didn’t recognize that as the problem back then. 

In any case, I made a commitment to her now to work on my own issues and to help her get the support she needs for hers and to recognize when the anxiety is the issue instead of interpreting her behavior as character flaws. I want to have a better relationship with her, and so I’m willing to make changes in myself and my responses. 

Edited by Amy Gen
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Another thing that could help is magnesium. It has a calming affect on a lot of people.

That reminds me...phosphatidylserine is thought to help reduce/stabilize cortisol. I am trying it at night, and while I haven't retested, my sleep is better, and I have some other signs it might be working for that. 

• Like 1

@Not_a_Number I did some reconnaissance for you regarding CBD. I tried a fast acting tincture that was quite effective. My (significant) anxiety pretty much disappeared. While it could have been psychosomatic, I also became very slightly nauseated, which I read later is a possible side effect, so I think it was not all in my head. I have not yet  tried the CBD gummies, but when my anxiety ramped up again I did try the very appropriately named in this instance Delta 8 gummies and they are working a treat. Seriously, I haven’t been this anxiety free for weeks, possibly months. Drawback: they leave a nasty taste in your mouth. Other drawback: these things are spendy. It would be much less expensive to just get a Xanax Rx. Final thoughts: For a panic attack, the tincture works almost immediately and is fairly short acting, so better than Xanax. I definitely plan to add it to my arsenal. The Delta 8? No way I could operate heavy machinery. I definitely would not use this when I had to be top of my game, but I am certainly anxiety free ATM. I’ll keep you posted if/when I try the CBD gummies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

@Not_a_Number I did some reconnaissance for you regarding CBD. I tried a fast acting tincture that was quite effective. My (significant) anxiety pretty much disappeared. While it could have been psychosomatic, I also became very slightly nauseated, which I read later is a possible side effect, so I think it was not all in my head. I have not yet  tried the CBD gummies, but when my anxiety ramped up again I did try the very appropriately named in this instance Delta 8 gummies and they are working a treat. Seriously, I haven’t been this anxiety free for weeks, possibly months. Drawback: they leave a nasty taste in your mouth. Other drawback: these things are spendy. It would be much less expensive to just get a Xanax Rx. Final thoughts: For a panic attack, the tincture works almost immediately and is fairly short acting, so better than Xanax. I definitely plan to add it to my arsenal. The Delta 8? No way I could operate heavy machinery. I definitely would not use this when I had to be top of my game, but I am certainly anxiety free ATM. I’ll keep you posted if/when I try the CBD gummies.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry over that name. 

• Haha 3

I looked at the Delta 8 and they are double the strength of the gummies I have, (mine are 10mg).  The liquid stuff I tried made me tired at 17mg, but I agree with @bibiche that it was fast acting.  I think I'd be out cold at 20mg! But maybe buying 20mg gummies and cutting them in half would save some money. Hmmm...

They do taste kind of weird, but meh.  

4 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I looked at the Delta 8 and they are double the strength of the gummies I have, (mine are 10mg).  The liquid stuff I tried made me tired at 17mg, but I agree with @bibiche that it was fast acting.  I think I'd be out cold at 20mg! But maybe buying 20mg gummies and cutting them in half would save some money. Hmmm...

They do taste kind of weird, but meh.  

Thèse are actually 30. Thank goodness I only took half of one because at this moment I feel like I am in Amsterdam circa 1998.

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I dunno how this thread wound up so… stoned, but I’m digging it, lol.

Yeah. I advise against Delta 8. I did not enjoy that experience. I mean, if I had wanted to relive that night at the Melkweg eating a brownie and smoking a fat one with that gorgeous Jude Law lookalike, I would have just time travelled back to my ill-spent youth. Oh wait, I think I may have…* 😵💫😵💫😵💫

Awful. Avoid. So far the tincture is the winner.

* but I did it for you, @Not_a_Number, I did it for you.

Edited by bibiche
  • Haha 4