Menu

recovering from rough year with rising 7th grader - math? (long)

EmilyGF

Hi everyone,

This was a really rough year for dd12. She started spiraling into depression in February, but I didn't realize how bad things were until late March or early April. Once I realized how bad COVID and related restrictions had been for her outlook on life, I did all I could to counter it, but she's still not totally out of the woods. I've made a lot of changes to her daily life to help restore hope, and it seems mostly to be working, though I see her anxiety and hopelessness flaring up sometimes still.

My super-type-A daughter went from finishing all her work, mostly on her own, super efficiently, to unable to pull herself together to finish a single assignment with me sitting next to her within three hours, crying off and on and angry at me. We finished the year in May and have been enjoying friends outdoors ever since. It has been a rough year, and now I get to regroup and plan the coming school year. Yay!

The biggest problem area is math. She's in an online math class this summer that is both super-structured and super-expensive (Russian School of Math - awesome for kids like her as long as one can afford it), but it is designed as a supplement, not the main thing. I need to figure out a math curriculum we can use alongside it this school year that requires as little teaching as possible from me (because she has been having temper flare-ups at me) and that doesn't feel tricky her (she needs to be able to apply rules). The problems need to be at least somewhat straight-forward. My hope is that she'll get her direct teaching from RSM but get some sort of review and practice from her curriculum. She'll be in Algebra and Geometry at RSM this school year.

Suggestions?

Emily

• Sad 2

My kid struggling with mental health has been using Teaching Textbooks alongside online tutoring through a teacher on Preply. His teacher is in Pakistan and currently charges only $6 per hour, so we can afford multiple hours per week. I send the tutor the PDF lessons for Teaching Textbooks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, maize said:

My kid struggling with mental health has been using Teaching Textbooks alongside online tutoring through a teacher on Preply. His teacher is in Pakistan and currently charges only $6 per hour, so we can afford multiple hours per week. I send the tutor the PDF lessons for Teaching Textbooks.

That's brilliant. Thanks!

• Like 1

If you don't need videos, I would suggest MEP starting in year 7.  There are interactive lessons which will grade each problem for her.  It lists how they do at the bottom so long as the child doesn't exit out of the screen before you have a chance to look.  The problems are interesting but fairly straight forward.  Each chapter is separate so you could skip around to mesh with the other class.  It's also free.

Centre for Innovation in Mathematics Teaching - Mathematics Enhancement Programme (cimt.org.uk)

(Scroll down to years 7/8/9 and scroll a bit more for the interactive pages.)  My son does the interactive pages and I print the diagnostic tests as a cumulative review at the appropriate times.  You can also print chapter revision tests if you want a paper trail.

1 hour ago, smfmommy said:

If you don't need videos, I would suggest MEP starting in year 7.  There are interactive lessons which will grade each problem for her.  It lists how they do at the bottom so long as the child doesn't exit out of the screen before you have a chance to look.  The problems are interesting but fairly straight forward.  Each chapter is separate so you could skip around to mesh with the other class.  It's also free.

Centre for Innovation in Mathematics Teaching - Mathematics Enhancement Programme (cimt.org.uk)

(Scroll down to years 7/8/9 and scroll a bit more for the interactive pages.)  My son does the interactive pages and I print the diagnostic tests as a cumulative review at the appropriate times.  You can also print chapter revision tests if you want a paper trail.

I used MEP middle years with my oldest daughter and found it really hard to organize, so I don't think it can work with ME! Thanks, though. It is interesting and a good fit for some families.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:53 AM, EmilyGF said:

I used MEP middle years with my oldest daughter and found it really hard to organize, so I don't think it can work with ME! Thanks, though. It is interesting and a good fit for some families.

The year 7 up are quite different from lower down and are designed so kids who didn't use MEP in primary can pick it up easily.