Menu

Any good suggestions for pre colonoscopy liquid diet?

Scarlett

Low fiber/low residue - no nuts, seeds, stick with white bread, white rice, low fiber cereals, eggs, etc.  Definitely eat lightly as it gets closer so there's less to deal with during prep day.  Mashed potatoes, white pasta, mac n cheese, yogurt, creamy peanut butter...   Crackers and pretzels are good as long as they are not high fiber.  

ETA - fruits with no skins...bananas, applesauce, canned fruits are good.  No raw veggies.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Thanks 1

Dh was given a list.  It is home and I at work getting a grocery pick up together.  I am mainly concerned  about getting something for the clear liquid part of the pre-op.  I would think fruit bars would be ok as long as no color...but not sure.  Like coconut or pineapple.  

• Scarlett changed the title to Any good suggestions for pre colonoscopy liquid diet?

Oh, you mean clear liquids?

Jell-O - green/yellow, broth - chicken/vegetable/beef, popsicles - green/yellow, 7-up, Ginger-Ale, gatorade (green/yellow) - there are a million lists if you search clear liquid diet for colonoscopy on google.  

https://www.mywtmf.com/Services/Gastroenterology/Procedure-Preparation/Colonoscopy-Clear-Liquid-Diet.aspx

Edited by Kassia
  • Thanks 1

DD just had this done and this was her list.

3 days prior no high fiber food no raw fruit,veggies,whole grain,multi grain foods ,no nuts,popcorn,seeds,beans,lentils,bran,bulking agents.

Entire day prior to the exam only clear liquid diet-no red/purple/blue liquids.Strained no pulp juice like apple/white grape.

Water,gatorade popsicles,jello-o green/yellow or orange colors only. Clear broth/bouillon,coffee/tea without any sugar or creamer  

Edited by mominco
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Oh, you mean clear liquids?

Jell-O - green/yellow, broth - chicken/vegetable/beef, popsicles - green/yellow, 7-up, Ginger-Ale, gatorade (green/yellow) - there are a million lists if you search clear liquid diet for colonoscopy on google.  

https://www.mywtmf.com/Services/Gastroenterology/Procedure-Preparation/Colonoscopy-Clear-Liquid-Diet.aspx

Thank you.  Yes, I know there are lists.  I just thought someone might have a favorite thing that helped them endure.

I just did this on Sunday for my colonoscopy on Monday. I had lime jello, Sprite, chicken broth. I tried some protein water (random thing I found on the shelf at the store), and didn't like it, but I added some Sprite and drank one glass of that.

Chicken broth was the best. I heated it in a mug and ate it with a spoon, so that it seemed like I was eating soup. It was good to have a bit of protein from that.

My sister said when she had hers, she mixed some plain gelatin in with her jello as she made it, to make it more stiff and chewable, to seem more like she was eating something. You can google "finger jello" for the ratios. Jello has to be green or yellow only.

I had jello at breakfast, and broth at lunch and supper, and drank some Sprite and water in between. I wasn't really hungry, just grumpy about having to do it. I kept my energy level low all day (skipped walking the dog, etc), since I wasn't consuming calories.

Beware of only taking in sugary things, because that can make people feel worse. The chicken broth was key for me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Storygirl said:

I just did this on Sunday for my colonoscopy on Monday. I had lime jello, Sprite, chicken broth. I tried some protein water (random thing I found on the shelf at the store), and didn't like it, but I added some Sprite and drank one glass of that.

Chicken broth was the best. I heated it in a mug and ate it with a spoon, so that it seemed like I was eating soup. It was good to have a bit of protein from that.

My sister said when she had hers, she mixed some plain gelatin in with her jello as she made it, to make it more stiff and chewable, to seem more like she was eating something. You can google "finger jello" for the ratios. Jello has to be green or yellow only.

I had jello at breakfast, and broth at lunch and supper, and drank some Sprite and water in between. I wasn't really hungry, just grumpy about having to do it. I kept my energy level low all day (skipped walking the dog, etc), since I wasn't consuming calories.

Beware of only taking in sugary things, because that can make people feel worse. The chicken broth was key for me.

Thank you!  Very helpful.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I wonder if Italian ice or lime frozen fruit  bars would be ok...

My list said popsicles were okay, but I didn't use any. In my mind, popsicles are different than frozen fruit bars or Italian ice, and I wouldn't have tried the latter, since they weren't on my list.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Dh was given a list.  It is home and I at work getting a grocery pick up together.  I am mainly concerned  about getting something for the clear liquid part of the pre-op.  I would think fruit bars would be ok as long as no color...but not sure.  Like coconut or pineapple.  

I remember being told to avoid the frozen coconut and pineapple things on a stick because they often have little bits of the fruit fibers in them, and the coconut didn’t count as clear liquid.

• Thanks 1

My dds always want homemade chicken broth. I refrigerate it and scrape fat, then strain it through a sieve and then through fine cheese cloth to make sure it is clear. 

I make the broth with whole chicken and veggies. 

They like this best because the prep is so sweet, they get sick of it. Dd22 has to do a gallon and a half of prep ( more than usual) and she will still drink a gallon of broth to offset it. 

I’m surprised no one has a chicken flavored prep yet HAHA salty broth doesn’t sound nearly as bad as chemical tasting , salty -sweet liquid. 

Maybe they could do a meal-prep-kit…..chicken broth-prep followed by lemonade-prep followed by jello-prep. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

This was mine too, except I had lemon jello :-).

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

I found the broth to be very soothing and I liked to have some about an hour before starting the prep because the sodium made me thirsty.

• Like 1