Menu

help name 5 highschool piano courses

My cover school needs me to name 5 years of piano courses. (My daughter will plan on a double major in college. One of those....music.)I have these 3 named:
1. Beginner Piano Basics
4.Piano Music Theory
5.Piano Technique & Musicality

I can NOT list them as Intermediate Piano, Advanced Piano, Piano Year 1, etc.

I'm hoping I could get 2 more names to add to my course list above. Please look at the list of what I have so far. Please, if you're experienced with piano courses, I would love your help. Thank you.

Edited by faithmom

Maybe name it by what she is playing? I am surprised they don't let you name Piano 1, Piano 2, etc. 

I am not sure how her piano study is structured, but you could say something like "Study of Bach Prelude and Fugue" and give it appropriate credit. It's a really weird way to do it, but if you have no choice and if she is playing substantial pieces (say an entire Beethoven Sonata), it might just work. 

5 hours ago, faithmom said:

I can NOT list them as Intermediate Piano, Advanced Piano, Piano Year 1, etc.

Why?!?!  My son's courses were named: Music Performance 9, 10, 11, 12. And Music Theory. Here are my course descriptions.

Music Theory. (Private tutor, taken before 9th grade, 0.5 credits)
This course focused on the notations of western music including intervals, time signatures, keys, scales, and chords.
Skill was developed in constructing balanced rhythmic patterns and completing given melodic or harmonic
structures. The formal exam required an ability to apply theoretical knowledge and understanding to musical score
analysis.
ABRSM grade 5 Music Theory Exam: Distinction

Music Performance 9, 10, and 11. (Private tutor, 1 credit each year)
These courses focused on violin technical skill, creative interpretation, scales, sight reading, and musical
appreciation. They also had a strong oral and aural musical component. Quarterly performances focused on stage
presence and confidence and required working synergistically with piano accompaniment. These courses were
designed and taught by xxxx xxxxxx, (important title listed here)
NCEA Level 2 exams and assessments: 10 NZ credits achieved at excellence
NCEA Level 3 exams and assessments: 12 NZ credits achieved at excellence
ABRSM Violin Grade 7 exam: Distinction
ABRSM Violin Grade 8 exam: Distinction. High Scorer

Music Performance – DipABRSM. (Private tutor, 1 credit)
This university-level course and diploma focused on compiling and performing a balance recital program, talking
with confidence about the music, and sight reading at a high level. The program required working closely with a
pianist to create balanced and compelling sound. Full program notes were written to discuss music choices and
interpretation. This course was designed and taught by xxxx xxxxxx, (important title listed here). This course and
the accompanying exam fulfilled the requirements of the Diploma of Music Performance through the Royal
Schools of Music in the UK.
DipABRSM – Tertiary Diploma in Music Performance for Violin (expected Nov 2017)

• Like 2

I also don't understand why you can't name them with numbers or levels like intermediate. That's absurd. Is this an overlap with the cover school's offerings maybe? And they want to make it clear that you didn't use their classes but made your own?

You really should try to make clear that these courses progressed in difficulty and skill in the titles because that's part of what colleges like to see on an academic transcript - courses that build with prerequisites.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

Was beginner her first year?

I was wondering that, too.  My oldest is on track to have four piano courses in high school, but she didn't start playing in high school.  She was at late intermediate/early advanced for her "first" high school course, so I wouldn't want to name it "basics", kwim - it gives a false impression of what she was doing.  I'd only want to use "Beginner Piano Basics" if it was in fact her first year playing at all.

Could you get away with something like
Piano Literature 1: <major composers/time period studied>
Piano Literature 2: <major composers/time period studied>, etc.?

e.g. Piano Literature 1: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart
Piano Literature 2: Debussy, Rachmaninoff

It would be easy enough to strip out the numbers, too, so that it's just Piano Literature: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Piano Literature: Debussy, Rachmaninoff - but I agree with pp that it would be really nice to show progression.  I mean, in some ways the composers can imply a progression, but it's nice to make things explicit.

~*~

IDK if this is a good idea, but for dd I was thinking of including a list of major pieces played in each year (comparable to a list of major works studied in lit), which in your shoes would be another way to show progression.

• Like 2

I don't have other titles that haven't already been suggested.  Just another voice suggesting to go back to your cover school and ask more details about the 1, 2, 3, 4 (I II III IV) sequence.  Even the big public school system in my area labels it with Piano (and Guitar too)  I II III IV.

2 hours ago, cbollin said:

Even the big public school system in my area labels it with Piano (and Guitar too)  I II III IV.

I used numbers 9, 10, 11, 12 to make sure there was no confusion that these were not first year classes. Obviously, I connected the number to the grade (which was actually also the number of years he had played).

• Like 1

Horrible formatting, but here is what went on his music resume. 

Music Education

2012 -- 2018   Private violin instruction

Teacher name - New Zealand Symphony Orchestra

2017 -- 2018   String Quartet instruction

Teacher name - Orchestra Wellington

2014 -- 2016   Piano and Violin Trio instruction

Teacher name - New Zealand Symphony Orchestra

2013 -- 2018  Chamber String Orchestra instruction (Position held: First Violin in 2016, 2017)

Teacher name - New Zealand String Quartet (most recent)

2016, 2017, 2018 Chamber Music Queen’s Birthday Weekend camp

Teacher name - New Zealand String Quartet

Qualifications

DipABRSM Music Performance, 2017

ABRSM Grade 5 Theory, 2013

Awards / Honors

May 2018 Regional Finalist, String Quartet, NZCT Chamber Music Competition

May 2017 District Finalist, String Quartet, NZCT Chamber Music Competition

Public Performances

2012 -- 2018 Guest Performer, Village at the Park retirement village (4 concerts per year)

2017 -- 2018 String Quartet, Adam’s Concert Auditorium (3 per year)

2014 -- 2016 Piano and Violin Trio, Adam’s Concert Auditorium (3 concerts per year)

2013 -- 2018 Chamber String Orchestra, St Andrew’s on the Terrace (2 concerts per year)

Recent Repertoire

Violin (with Piano Accompaniment)

Grieg, Sonata No. 3 in C Minor, op. 45, 1st movement 

Mozart, Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major, K.218, 1st movement 

Dvořák, 4 Romantic Pieces, op. 75

Kreisler, Variations on a Theme of Corelli in the Style of Tartini 

Paganini, Variations on the G string on Rosssini’s Moses

Mozart, Rondo in C Major, K.373

Chamber Music (String Quartet / Piano and Violin Trio)

Mozart, String Quartet No.10 in C Major, K.170

Piazzolla, Libertango arranged for string quartet & accordian

Dvořák, Slavonic Dance in E Minor, op. 46, no. 2 

Godard, Six Duettini, op. 18

Chamber String Orchestra

Rossini, Sonata No. 1

Schumann, Kinderszenen, op. 15. 

Mascagni, Intermezzo Sinfonico from Cavalleria Rusticana

Mancini, Theme to the Pink Panther

Sibelius, Romanze in C Major, op. 42

You could try 

Piano with a focus in Baroque works

Piano with a focus in Classical works

Piano with a focus in Romantic works

Piano with a focus in 20-century works

I did this with English. So rather than English 9, 10, 11, 12, I had

English - 19th C American and British Lit. 

English - 20th C American and British Lit

English - Russian literature

English - World Literature

I then pulled all the works from the different eras that he had read in high school at any time in the 4 years, and listed them in the proper category in the course descriptions. I wrote on the transcript: "courses are listed in the year the majority of the work was completed" And then had detailed course descriptions for anyone who wanted to read them. You could do this with music.

Edited by lewelma

Here's a course-naming hack that a homeschooling parent shared with me.  Put some key words from what your student learned in that along with the words "course description."  With any luck you'll get links to high school courses that are similar to what you taught your student and from which you can glean an appropriate course title.