Jump to content

Menu

If you were planning to send your unvax kid to school this fall, what are you thinking now?


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I got an antibody screen. It’s like $60 at my local urgent care and since I’m on long term steroids for a corneal transplant, I was curious.

We still don’t really know enough to draw conclusion, but my antibody screen was negative.  It was disappointing.

Ugh. That IS disappointing. Although antibodies are supposed to fade, right? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think playing outdoor sports is pretty safe.

Honestly I am wondering too if there is going to be a lot of switching between virtual and in-person, which does get really disruptive.  I think if numbers keep on this way, I will be more concerned about that.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I got an antibody screen. It’s like $60 at my local urgent care and since I’m on long term steroids for a corneal transplant, I was curious.

We still don’t really know enough to draw conclusion, but my antibody screen was negative.  It was disappointing.

Wow.  You had covid 2 times right?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lecka said:

We just got an email — our school district will not be requiring masks for anyone in the Fall.  
 

Sigh.  

SOOO Dumb.  Sorry.  That is so insane.  Covid is going to rip apart schools with no precautions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm really hoping the kid vaccines come out sooner than they are projecting. When the kids are vaccinated, I'll get less careful. Or if the data suggests that the rate of long-term complications is low. 

I wouldn't be willing to do what we're doing forever, but I definitely have another 6 months in me. 

Same. If all the kids in the family were vaccinated I'd be happy to go back to doing stuff again. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I will feel so much better too.

I did the antibody screen(since my cousin caught a bad case again AND after being partially vaccinated) and it’s negative.  I know that doesn’t mean much for T cells but now I am concerned about my kids being non responders to the vaccine as well.  At this point, I know we can’t lock down forever though.

Have you been vaccinated? The antibody tests only look at the antibodies from the actual virus, not the vaccine, so if you were negative it is saying you don't have antibodies from your past infection anymore, which means you probably should get vaccinated if you are not. If you are, the normal antibody test doesn't pick up on the specific antibodies made in reaction to the vaccine, so doesn't mean you didn't mount a response to the vaccine. That requires a different test. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Whatever happened to the immunity in the T cells thing? Could it be, Mrs T, you have some immunity that’s undetectable with the type of test you were given? 

I would think so. I tested on my PCP’s recommendation because my cousin has now caught Covid twice, both times confirmed as Covid and there’s a history of vaccine non response in my maternal family(I personally am a vaccine nonreaponder to the measles and varicella vaccines).  Plus now we know steroid use contributes to the Covid vaccine now working and I take those to decrease the rejection risk in my corneal transplant. 

I would think I probably have T cell immunity.  There is so much we don’t know.   I am annoyed but frankly, I kind of expected it.  

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I would think so. I tested on my PCP’s recommendation because my cousin has now caught Covid twice, both times confirmed as Covid and there’s a history of vaccine non response in my maternal family(I personally am a vaccine nonreaponder to the measles and varicella vaccines).  Plus now we know steroid use contributes to the Covid vaccine now working and I take those to decrease the rejection risk in my corneal transplant. 

I would think I probably have T cell immunity.  There is so much we don’t know.   I am annoyed but frankly, I kind of expected it.  

Do you know if it was the test to look for antibodies from the vaccine, or the test to look for antibodies to the virus after infection? 

And there is a T-Cell test now, according to facebook ads I keep getting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I think it would be a great study to examine whether the mRNA vaccination technology is better at stimulating an immune response in those who are vaccine resistant (to the traditional forms of vaccines we’ve been using)!

I have been vaccinated. I got my second dose in January.  I honestly don’t know what antibodies it looked for but probably just natural immunity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I have been vaccinated. I got my second dose in January.  I honestly don’t know what antibodies it looked for but probably just natural immunity. 

There are three different antibody tests out there.  One test for wild strain, one for vaccinations, and a semi-quantitative test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lecka said:

We just got an email — our school district will not be requiring masks for anyone in the Fall.  
 

Sigh.  

California decided on masks for Fall for everyone on campus. I have friends whose kids are in public high schools who aren’t happy about it.

”Yesterday, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) released updated K-12 Schools Guidance which modifies previous guidance to create only one requirement for all schools for the 2021-2022 school year — the wearing of masks indoors by all individuals on school campuses, no matter vaccination status. California’s updated guidance follows the CDC guidance released on Friday, July 9, 2021.”

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MEmama said:

Am I remembering correctly that you are in TN? Apparently teens 14+ can get vaccinated in your state without parental permission (your state's top vaccination expert was fired after pointing that out, but it’s still state law for now). 

That is what it was here too.  I know we had a vaccine clinic at the high school my dd would have gone to if she had gone to public high school and those were the rules.  They did it some weeks ago so they will be having the secondary one pretty soon.  My school district is opening Aug. 4.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

California decided on masks for Fall for everyone on campus. I have friends whose kids are in public high schools who aren’t happy about it.

”Yesterday, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) released updated K-12 Schools Guidance which modifies previous guidance to create only one requirement for all schools for the 2021-2022 school year — the wearing of masks indoors by all individuals on school campuses, no matter vaccination status. California’s updated guidance follows the CDC guidance released on Friday, July 9, 2021.”

VA districts are making the call locally but I expect this will be the case in my area for the fall. We're only 47-50% immunized (this is a mixed area) and no one wears masks anymore. If I had a kiddo on the bubble, almost old enough, I'd send them masked and hope for the best 'til his/her birthday. If I had an elementary kiddo, I'd probably send them too given our household's lockdown, but masked. I kept my peeps home for 15 months solid, no in-person anything. Both of my kids are now immunized tho, so I have no issues sending them back. DS is now at summer camp (outdoor, adventure camp, no cabins, small group) and DD is lifeguarding full time. I expect both will be masked at school in September. Too many jerks without jabs are going unmasked for my comfort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think CA has the right idea, at least until a couple of months after the vaccine is available for all kids. I was hoping we might get to that point (all students at all schools able to vaccinate) by second semester at least. We're still masked at summer school; teachers can upload a copy of their vax card to be able to take their masks off when no students are around (like working after school). I just bought some black fabric to make myself a new mask or two--no solid fabric was available last year when I made my masks and I do like my homemade masks with ties best. And I'm guessing we'll still be wearing them in the fall, but no official word yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI for those waiting on vax for under 5-12 yos...that is not expected to be approved any earlier until mid-winter. FDA is requiring more months of trial data. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, calbear said:

FYI for those waiting on vax for under 5-12 yos...that is not expected to be approved any earlier until mid-winter. FDA is requiring more months of trial data. 

Is that for sure now? I saw a quote like that recently, but I wasn't sure if that was set in stone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although trial results are expected in the fall, an FDA official told NBC News the soonest an EAU would be granted for those under age 12 would be midwinter, as the agency requires more safety data. For adults, the FDA required two months of follow-up safety data after the vaccine trials. It will require four to six months for the under-12 trials.

https://news.yahoo.com/fda-may-authorize-covid-19-002600698.html

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, calbear said:

Although trial results are expected in the fall, an FDA official told NBC News the soonest an EAU would be granted for those under age 12 would be midwinter, as the agency requires more safety data. For adults, the FDA required two months of follow-up safety data after the vaccine trials. It will require four to six months for the under-12 trials.

https://news.yahoo.com/fda-may-authorize-covid-19-002600698.html

 

I saw that. Sigh. Maybe they'll expedite due to Delta?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...