Menu

Appliances "upper/high end"

sheryl

10 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Things are definitely not made to last as long as they used to be. 🙂  I kept my appliances until we couldn't get replacement parts for them.  We couldn't get parts for the washer or the refrigerator anymore. Now things aren't made to have parts replaced as readily.  My FIL just got rid of his upright freezer that was only 5 years old, because it was cheaper to buy a new one than to replace parts. I'm still holding onto my 1976 chest freezer. 🤞  I do tend to buy straight forward models, so no in the door ice/water, and dials as much as possible.  Sadly, the oven is digital this time around, which I was not happy about, but couldn't find an alternative I liked.  YMMV.

YES!  I would like a 2nd refrigerator (cheap, used) as an extra for space.  I'll buy food on sale and would like a 2nd one for that purpose.   We heard that most of the refrigerator issues are due to exterior water/ice makers.  I do not want that now.  The interior ice maker apparently does not have this problem.  Agree with staying away from digital and supporting use of dials.

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Well, will still check in to this with a cc to see if one is still available.  Or, the scenario of opening a new cc for a rebate which would be less value than what you had but still something.  Are warranties worth it then?

Our position is that an extended warranty (on anything) is generally not worth paying for. We have an emergency fund, though, so if needed we can tap in to that, essentially self-insuring.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

My cast iron is full iron no enamel.

Sorry I should have been more clear. My cast iron’s enamel didn’t chip.   I use both coated and uncoated, but my daily skillets are uncoated. I hit the edge of the stove and chipped the stove’s enamel which would have happened on any style of top. 

• Like 1

We hired an electrician to install a surge protector to our electrical panel that protects everything in and out of the house. However, we still have battery backups on our major electronics (tvs, video game consoles, computers). In the case of a power outage, this gives us time to properly shut them off so the hardware will last longer. If we expect a strong storm, we will shut off all the computers ahead of time so we don't get woken up during the night.

Our rule of thumb is that if the electronic device costs twice more than a surge protector, it's worth buying a surge protector for it. If I would have had to replace the item, then I will have saved money with the surge protector. Since the washer fire nearly burned down our house, it was obvious to us that the $356 whole house surge protector would be a huge savings in the long run.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tap said:

Sorry I should have been more clear. My cast iron’s enamel didn’t chip.   I use both coated and uncoated, but my daily skillets are uncoated. I hit the edge of the stove and chipped the stove’s enamel which would have happened on any style of top. 

Got it.  True, it would chip/crack with anything but that iron - whew.  I see it having the potential to cause that more than stainless steel.

Are warranties worth it then?

I've heard over and over that the extended warranties are well worth the purchase of appliances, in part because they aren't made to last long.

Don't buy a Samsung refrigerator. They are known to be defective and Samsung is a very difficult company to work with. We purchased a French door model with an icemaker/water in the door and an icemaker in the freezer when we moved into our house 8 years ago. Both ice makers stopped working after about 2 years. The bottom icemaker has been replaced, but stopped working again after about 4 months. We won't try replacing the top one because it seems that after the very common replacement, the fridge doesn't hold it's cold temp consistently. I live in a city of 2.5 million people and they have only one Samsung approved repair company. Most other companies won't/can't service Samsung appliances in part because Samsung won't sell the parts to non Samsung repair companies and Samsung requires only Samsung trained techs to work on their appliances. I feel very fortunate our fridge still holds it's temp.

• Like 2

Are warranties worth it then?

We bought a new refrigerator last year. Today in the mail I got yet another offer from the manufacturer to buy an extended warranty. I did the same thing I've done with all the others--toss it in the recycle bin. There's a reason I get one of those offers every month or so--they're huge money makers for the manufacturer. Sure some people get some benefit from them. But they're more the exception than the rule, otherwise manufacturers would lose money on them--or at least not make nearly as much--and they wouldn't market them so aggressively.

• Like 2

I don't remember the kitchen aid model dishwashers other than the original was the architecture series and purchased in 9/2005,  Next we bought in 2009 and the last one in 2012, they all were the metal inside and upper end Kitchen Aid, They were all repaired multiple times while we had them.  Somewhere I read not to by my Bosch at Home Depot or Lowes so I went to Specialty Appliance store nearby.  I wanted a German made one but they were way more expensive so I went with the one I posted.  Has three rows.  

People swear by Kitchen Aid  I think I'm just a lemon magnet for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rutheart said:

We hired an electrician to install a surge protector to our electrical panel that protects everything in and out of the house. However, we still have battery backups on our major electronics (tvs, video game consoles, computers). In the case of a power outage, this gives us time to properly shut them off so the hardware will last longer. If we expect a strong storm, we will shut off all the computers ahead of time so we don't get woken up during the night.

Our rule of thumb is that if the electronic device costs twice more than a surge protector, it's worth buying a surge protector for it. If I would have had to replace the item, then I will have saved money with the surge protector. Since the washer fire nearly burned down our house, it was obvious to us that the $356 whole house surge protector would be a huge savings in the long run.

That's sound reasoning.  I'm adding this to my now 7 page word doc.  We have a few surge protectors but I'm wondering if it's what you're using.  Hmmm.   Need to figure this out.  I'm embarrassed I may be tech illiterate.  LOL!  Battery backups for electronics?   I clearly don't get this except for computers but will ask dh who is tech savvy.  If you can please upload pic of your surge protector and your battery backup.  

56 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

I've heard over and over that the extended warranties are well worth the purchase of appliances, in part because they aren't made to last long.

Don't buy a Samsung refrigerator. They are known to be defective and Samsung is a very difficult company to work with. We purchased a French door model with an icemaker/water in the door and an icemaker in the freezer when we moved into our house 8 years ago. Both ice makers stopped working after about 2 years. The bottom icemaker has been replaced, but stopped working again after about 4 months. We won't try replacing the top one because it seems that after the very common replacement, the fridge doesn't hold it's cold temp consistently. I live in a city of 2.5 million people and they have only one Samsung approved repair company. Most other companies won't/can't service Samsung appliances in part because Samsung won't sell the parts to non Samsung repair companies and Samsung requires only Samsung trained techs to work on their appliances. I feel very fortunate our fridge still holds it's temp.

Yes, I like Samsung but have heard mostly negative reviews from different sources re: their frig.  We were told that most of the repairs in refrigerators are performed on water/ice exterior.   Now I don't want one for that issue.  Will use clean hands to fish out or scooper for ice from interior ice maker.  Before when coming in from mowing yard or working the veggie garden we could grab a tumbler and use exterior dispenser for water/ice.  Now we won't be able to do that b/c I don't want to add to the high fail rate with that feature. 

52 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

We bought a new refrigerator last year. Today in the mail I got yet another offer from the manufacturer to buy an extended warranty. I did the same thing I've done with all the others--toss it in the recycle bin. There's a reason I get one of those offers every month or so--they're huge money makers for the manufacturer. Sure some people get some benefit from them. But they're more the exception than the rule, otherwise manufacturers would lose money on them--or at least not make nearly as much--and they wouldn't market them so aggressively.

Right!  We've gotten the same.   

43 minutes ago, Splash1 said:

I don't remember the kitchen aid model dishwashers other than the original was the architecture series and purchased in 9/2005,  Next we bought in 2009 and the last one in 2012, they all were the metal inside and upper end Kitchen Aid, They were all repaired multiple times while we had them.  Somewhere I read not to by my Bosch at Home Depot or Lowes so I went to Specialty Appliance store nearby.  I wanted a German made one but they were way more expensive so I went with the one I posted.  Has three rows.  

People swear by Kitchen Aid  I think I'm just a lemon magnet for them.

Well, see, that could be.  We bought a Pontiac Montana around Aug 2001 (right before Twin Towers; we were getting ready to drive to OH for my niece's wedding around 9/2/01 or so) and from the end of the first to second year, there was always an issue.

4 hours ago, sheryl said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I do not want the electronics for the reason you stated.  Do you have recs/links?

We got a Dacor range; it has electric lights around the dials to let you know the burner is on, but it is otherwise just like a good old gas stove.  Note that we got a $4000 range for $1500 because Dacor was changing the model*, so they were letting the appliance guys sell them half off.  THEN we got more off because of Scratch and Dent.  It's akin to this one.  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dacor-30-gas-pro-range-professional-style-natural-gas/6431945.p?skuId=6431945&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260669&ds_rl=1273104&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1273104&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM2OB8RTukSbI5HToKoVVUJ3ejBI-j19H9-lnY6xmtmtGishkmEPM9YaAoTkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

*Round handle on oven becoming square.  It makes me roll my eyes to think of THAT being so dramatic.  Apparently, it is.  

• Thanks 1

The plain surge protector is what we use for small electronics, like cell phones or tablets. These can be bought just about anywhere (groceries, Target, etc). The surge protector shown has five items plugged in: three for cell phones and two for tablets.

The battery backup is for computers and video game consoles. We also plug the televisions into these so we can save and exit a video game if the power abruptly cuts off while we're playing. Our whole family is into video games, so spending $70-80 on the battery backup is worth it to us to not lose hours of game progress. The battery backup shown is for my computer, so the two things plugged in are my desktop and monitor.

The whole house surge protector takes up two slots on the electrical panel. It's the roughly square part with the bright green light. If your electrical panel is full, an electrician can create a subpanel and move some of the breakers over to the subpanel to make room for the surge protector on the main panel. If you do the subpanel and whole house surge protector at the same time, it's about $1,000.

Whole house surge protector.jpg

Battery backup.jpg

surge protector.jpg

Edited by rutheart
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sheryl said:

How old are your appliances and have you had them serviced?  Your cooktop or dw? Do you have an exterior water/ice maker? 

My cooktop I've had for 8 years. No problems never been serviced. 

My double oven I've had for 8 years. The temperature relay broke on one of the ovens (year 6). My husband bought the part and we fixed it ourselves. I want to say the part was about $600.

One of my dishwashers is 5 years and the other 4 years. Neither one has been serviced. 

There is an icemaker in my refrigerator.  We don't use ice very much so we just bought the smallest icemaker possible for the size of our fridge. (It makes like a pitcher of ice.)

We got the cooktop with a high BTU and my husband actually uses it. I don't use my cooktop on high, med-high at the max.

We got the double oven for the temperature range. High enough to really sear/broil and low enough to do dehydrate (also we lucked into a really good deal on it).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Resilient said:

We got a Dacor range; it has electric lights around the dials to let you know the burner is on, but it is otherwise just like a good old gas stove.  Note that we got a $4000 range for $1500 because Dacor was changing the model*, so they were letting the appliance guys sell them half off.  THEN we got more off because of Scratch and Dent.  It's akin to this one.  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dacor-30-gas-pro-range-professional-style-natural-gas/6431945.p?skuId=6431945&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260669&ds_rl=1273104&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1273104&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM2OB8RTukSbI5HToKoVVUJ3ejBI-j19H9-lnY6xmtmtGishkmEPM9YaAoTkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

*Round handle on oven becoming square.  It makes me roll my eyes to think of THAT being so dramatic.  Apparently, it is.  

Me likey!  LOL!   Yes, we've bought scratch and dent over the years with a few things and have no problem doing so again.  We found out when looking for a replacement for our current refrigerator that MANY appliances are not in stock.  It seems everyone is buying appls making them hard to find.  

2 hours ago, rutheart said:

The plain surge protector is what we use for small electronics, like cell phones or tablets. These can be bought just about anywhere (groceries, Target, etc). The surge protector shown has five items plugged in: three for cell phones and two for tablets.

The battery backup is for computers and video game consoles. We also plug the televisions into these so we can save and exit a video game if the power abruptly cuts off while we're playing. Our whole family is into video games, so spending $70-80 on the battery backup is worth it to us to not lose hours of game progress. The battery backup shown is for my computer, so the two things plugged in are my desktop and monitor.

The whole house surge protector takes up two slots on the electrical panel. It's the roughly square part with the bright green light. If your electrical panel is full, an electrician can create a subpanel and move some of the breakers over to the subpanel to make room for the surge protector on the main panel. If you do the subpanel and whole house surge protector at the same time, it's about $1,000.

Whole house surge protector.jpg

Battery backup.jpg

surge protector.jpg

This is fantastic.  DH is watching news but in a few min I'm going to show him these.  Up his alley.  That is just so cool.  I'll be embarrassed if I come back and tell you we have this but I don't think we do.  I hate to seem ditzy.  He's picky with his stuff.  We have hundreds and hundreds of cables.  Why?   He says, "Because you never can tell when you might need one"!    I'll try to remember to update you.  I DO SO APPRECIATE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!

52 minutes ago, Clarita said:

My cooktop I've had for 8 years. No problems never been serviced. 

My double oven I've had for 8 years. The temperature relay broke on one of the ovens (year 6). My husband bought the part and we fixed it ourselves. I want to say the part was about $600.

One of my dishwashers is 5 years and the other 4 years. Neither one has been serviced. 

There is an icemaker in my refrigerator.  We don't use ice very much so we just bought the smallest icemaker possible for the size of our fridge. (It makes like a pitcher of ice.)

We got the cooktop with a high BTU and my husband actually uses it. I don't use my cooktop on high, med-high at the max.

We got the double oven for the temperature range. High enough to really sear/broil and low enough to do dehydrate (also we lucked into a really good deal on it).

OK, I appreciate this well!  Thank you. I'm going to revisit what you have in an earlier post.  

I haven’t read through the responses yet, but just in case no one else has suggested it, I strongly suggest investing in an induction stove rather than gas. And electric ovens are much more even than gas ovens. I personally prefer a convection oven that opens to the side(s), especially the type where the doors join in the middle. I have a friend who had two wall ovens that cost a fortune, but they were really impractical because they opened down, making it difficult to access the pans and thus the food. She finally got rid of them and installed some that opened to the side - much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeachGal said:

@bibiche Do you have any favorite brands? I've read that the kitchen designer Mick De Giulio recommends induction ovens, too. And steamer ovens. Have you used a steamer oven?

I’ve been quite happy with the Electrolux induction top. I can’t say that I even know what a steamer oven is… I’ll have to look into that. I do enjoy having a freestanding steamer unit, but only because it was a gift from a friend and I didn’t have to pay for it! 😉 It’s total overkill for a home kitchen though. 

For ovens I am pleased with Bosch wall ovens (side opening!), and particularly with Fours Guyon freestanding electric convection oven. Sometimes Guyon West has refurbished models of the latter for a good price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bibiche said:

I’ve been quite happy with the Electrolux induction top. I can’t say that I even know what a steamer oven is… I’ll have to look into that. I do enjoy having a freestanding steamer unit, but only because it was a gift from a friend and I didn’t have to pay for it! 😉 It’s total overkill for a home kitchen though. 

For ovens I am pleased with Bosch wall ovens (side opening!), and particularly with Fours Guyon freestanding electric convection oven. Sometimes Guyon West has refurbished models of the latter for a good price. 

You sound like a chef.  Ah, Chef Bibiche!  🙂  Really...

I guess I've been out of the retail appliance loop for too long as I haven't even heard of Fours Guyon.  I don't know what a steamer unit is.  Is that new?  

I do have an Electrolux front load washer that I'm very pleased with.  Electrolux has been around awhile.   Remember the popular Electrolux canister vacuum from decades ago?!  I was cat sitting for a neighbor the other day and the owner has E washer/dryer, refrigerator (very nice) and I will have to inspect the other appliances next time I cat sit.  🙂 

14 hours ago, sheryl said:

CAROL!  Are you saying you don't keep frozen food in your kitchen?   Or, is the 2 compartment "frig" the one in your great room?

I do keep a little frozen food in the kitchen but most of it is in the basement in our chest freezer.  I leave the variable compartment in our fridge on the ‘freezer’ setting almost all the time, but the fact that it *could* be set on ‘fridge’ meant that it didn’t have the built in ice/water handling taking up interior space, which was a plus since I would not have hooked it up anyway.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I do keep a little frozen food in the kitchen but most of it is in the basement in our chest freezer.  I leave the variable compartment in our fridge on the ‘freezer’ setting almost all the time, but the fact that it *could* be set on ‘fridge’ meant that it didn’t have the built in ice/water handling taking up interior space, which was a plus since I would not have hooked it up anyway.

Carol,  I learned through you and further research that there are "refrigerator" only (no freezer component) appliances.  I didn't know this and must have blown right past me in my research for refrigerators (here meaning refrigerator and freezer).  I learned something new.  🙂  

Carol,  I learned through you and further research that there are "refrigerator" only (no freezer component) appliances.  I didn't know this and must have blown right past me in my research for refrigerators (here meaning refrigerator and freezer).  I learned something new.  🙂  

It’s true, there are.  I considered those but when I was looking around they were not particularly quiet, except the propane ones, but I wanted an electric one.  I did not want to add a burner to my cabin, that would have to either be emptied out every time we left or run unattended when we were not there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sheryl said:

Yes, I like Samsung but have heard mostly negative reviews from different sources re: their frig.  We were told that most of the repairs in refrigerators are performed on water/ice exterior.   Now I don't want one for that issue.  Will use clean hands to fish out or scooper for ice from interior ice maker.  Before when coming in from mowing yard or working the veggie garden we could grab a tumbler and use exterior dispenser for water/ice.  Now we won't be able to do that b/c I don't want to add to the high fail rate with that feature. 

We had a Samsung in a rental house and it was HORRIBLE.  About six months after it was put in the water line started freezing--the solution accoriding to Samsung is that every six month you unplug and defrost your (frost-free) refrigerator for 3 days!!!  We definitely avoided Samsung when we were buying a fridge.  Although we would prefer not to have some of the fancy ice and water dispensing mechanisms (because of the room they take up and because of failure), we found it difficult (almost impossible) to purchase a larger refrigerator without them.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 11:38 AM, sheryl said:

Well, the majority in this thread like KA so I'm all ears for reasons other than loading. 

Well go to the store and you'll see. Bosch is better reliability, better scores, better everything, but a KA loads better, slides better, feels better. Simple. Pick your poison. And I didn't want to clean a stupid food trap. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sheryl said:

I have two all-refrigerators and they've been around for years. They became a thing (not just for your garage) because people were trying to get the upscale look of built-in Sub Zeros without the upscale price. I have a Whirlpool pair (all refrigerator/all freezer) in my mudroom. The architect had originally drawn the kitchen to have them and I didn't like the placement. I threw them in the mudroom and put a smaller frig in the kitchen. 

I think what Carol is describing is a product with flex drawers, not sure. I think do what you want. A lot of this is about spending money to make something happen that makes your life better. If you'll enjoy it or like it, do it! You could do refrigerator drawers if your kitchen has room and they'd make your life good. Nuts, maybe I should have, haha. No I have massive coffin drawers that I love. I wouldn't want to bend over for the frig anyway. The aging back does not need that. I use my frig more, so my frig stuff is up high and the freezer stuff lower.

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

PS. The convertible area of the Samsung appliances is called their ‘Flexzone’ so if you search with that keyword you can find the ones that have that feature.

Ooo, I think I saw that at Lowe's! We were out on a date night and went there.  :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I have two all-refrigerators and they've been around for years. They became a thing (not just for your garage) because people were trying to get the upscale look of built-in Sub Zeros without the upscale price. I have a Whirlpool pair (all refrigerator/all freezer) in my mudroom. The architect had originally drawn the kitchen to have them and I didn't like the placement. I threw them in the mudroom and put a smaller frig in the kitchen. 

I think what Carol is describing is a product with flex drawers, not sure. I think do what you want. A lot of this is about spending money to make something happen that makes your life better. If you'll enjoy it or like it, do it! You could do refrigerator drawers if your kitchen has room and they'd make your life good. Nuts, maybe I should have, haha. No I have massive coffin drawers that I love. I wouldn't want to bend over for the frig anyway. The aging back does not need that. I use my frig more, so my frig stuff is up high and the freezer stuff lower.

Ooo, I think I saw that at Lowe's! We were out on a date night and went there.  :biggrin:

Welllll, our frig - left door will only open to right angle because it will come up against a wall and the right has full range of motion.  DH and I saw a great replacement refrigerator (heck I'd keep this for our next house) at Best Buy.  It's an open box because there are a couple minor blemishes on it.  Who cares!  Kitchenaid at $1900 for 25 cu ft.  Same dimensions. French door/bottom freezer.   (I had a KA years ago and it was great)!  So, last night I opened the left door to a right angle and I COULD pull out the deli "tray" all the way.  IMPRESSED!  I want to go get it and hope it's still there.

On 7/18/2021 at 6:52 PM, PeterPan said:

I guess see your layout. You can always throw an extra oven or the main stove into your basement to have an extra oven. I wouldn't give up counter space for them.

I did such a stunt. Except I decided that the old butt ugly oven i am NOT allowed to drag upstairs (i mean, it IS avocado green...) works waaaaaaaaay better than the new "pretty" one upstairs. SO now I have to run down to the basement any time I want to bake anything finicky because I don't trust the stupid new oven 😂

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2021 at 12:33 PM, PeterPan said:

LOL. Hopefully Lowe’s was not your only destination. They do, however, have some surprisingly nice appliances. 😊

• Haha 1

DH and I bought a refrigerator last night to replace our old one.  The one we currently have is a 5'ish year old Whirlpool that we bought as a "set".  It's a piece of junk.  Whirlpool is low end to Kitchen Aid and high end Jenn Aire.  We've replaced 1-2 components on this cheaply made frig but it's not worth it.  Last night we found an open box at Best Buy. We found a scratch/dent KA lower mid range model and it's much nicer.  We had a KA about 25 years ago and it was nice. 

Bought SS french doors with bottom freezer and 27 cu ft!  It's 2 cu ft more b/c it stands a little taller but all dimensions still fit!  

I don't know what type of defrost element it has - sure better check it's not manual!  Just learned there are 3 different kinds of defrosts!

One more week to buy fresh food again.  Will stock up on Friday having given the frig to regulate temp for 24 hours. 

Will continue (re)search in to other appliances for next house.