Menu

So angry

TexasProud

Disboards will pretty much allow no discussion of Covid. Absolutely ridiculous.  A person posted asking if they should take the kids with cases going up.  Some posted they wouldn't. But then several said that kids don't get sick anyway.  So I posted a link to the article about the 10 kids in ICU in Arkansas.  It was removed and I can't post because of infractions of the rule. It can only apply to travel...  UHHH, I said she shouldn't travel because kids DO get sick.  Ridiculous. Now I know why nothing is on it anymore. They remove it all. Heck who cares if thousands of people die as long as you can go visit the Mouse.  So angry.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

Disboards will pretty much allow no discussion of Covid. Absolutely ridiculous.  A person posted asking if they should take the kids with cases going up.  Some posted they wouldn't. But then several said that kids don't get sick anyway.  So I posted a link to the article about the 10 kids in ICU in Arkansas.  It was removed and I can't post because of infractions of the rule. It can only apply to travel...  UHHH, I said she shouldn't travel because kids DO get sick.  Ridiculous. Now I know why nothing is on it anymore. They remove it all. Heck who cares if thousands of people die as long as you can go visit the Mouse.  So angry.  

Wow, that's crazy! I get that it's a pain to mod Covid topics, but you can't pretend it doesn't exist and doesn't affect travel! 

• Like 3

For those who are not aware….

The Disboards is run by a travel agency that primarily specializes in Disney.   It is not surprising that they will not allow conversation that may dissuade people away from their business and Disney.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Sdel said:

The Disboards is run by a travel agency that primarily specializes in Disney.   It is not surprising that they will not allow conversation that may dissuade people away from their business and Disney.

This. Along with the guy who owns it is not a nice guy at all ( many threads on different sites in his behavior). The great banning about 10ish years ago with those who disagreed with him on anything was amazing.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sdel said:

Ah, so it's a private board? I had assumed it was run/sponsored by Disney. 

That makes even more sense, that certain discussion topics are not allowed.  

13 hours ago, TexasProud said:

A person posted asking if they should take the kids with cases going up.

Seems like a strange question to ask on a board, particularly one sponsored by a travel agent, and populated by fellow travelers. Who on such a board can properly answer that question with any authority? Of course it's going to cause controversy and disagreements. It's not a good place to get such information. 

As PeterPan said, there are plenty of places to talk about and get information on covid. 

OP, I'm sorry you are angry about this. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

This. Along with the guy who owns it is not a nice guy at all ( many threads on different sites in his behavior). The great banning about 10ish years ago with those who disagreed with him on anything was amazing.  

I only know about the Circle of Sarcasm board that was created after that time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I’ve been haunting DisBoards since I am taking my daughter to DW next week.  I honestly haven’t gotten much useful information off of the boards at all.

It used to be better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Don't you have enough other places to discuss covid?? The threads on it create so much controversy, I can see why they don't want them. I can't imagine making important medical/health decisions based on discussions on a theme park board, mercy.

I think they should be allowed.   the post is relevant to the board's purpose......all things Disney travel.   

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I think they should be allowed.   the post is relevant to the board's purpose......all things Disney travel.   

It’s not really.  The boards purpose is to draw in people to use their travel agency to plan a Disney trip.  To the extent that non users of the business post, they drive excitement and knowledge of what is available that the people who don’t want to plan their trip can request the travel agency set up.  

As a travel agency they were hurt really badly by covid and the restrictions.  Allowing discussion of how it might not be safe to travel would be further taking potential money away from their business.  And from my understanding they are pretty upfront about the zero tolerance for such threads.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sdel said:

It’s not really.  The boards purpose is to draw in people to use their travel agency to plan a Disney trip.  To the extent that non users of the business post, they drive excitement and knowledge of what is available that the people who don’t want to plan their trip can request the travel agency set up.  

As a travel agency they were hurt really badly by covid and the restrictions.  Allowing discussion of how it might not be safe to travel would be further taking potential money away from their business.  And from my understanding they are pretty upfront about the zero tolerance for such threads.

My point was in response to "aren't there other boards to discuss this?"   Yes, but not specific to a Disney vacation, which is what the boards are about.

I have used the boards for years and have never felt pressured to use their agency or even been asked to consider using their agency.   I just get practical Disney advice from travelers.   I personally think Covid discussion is worth of advice from people traveling.   

I have also never been censored on that board.   

3 hours ago, marbel said:

Ah, so it's a private board? I had assumed it was run/sponsored by Disney. 

That makes even more sense, that certain discussion topics are not allowed.  

Seems like a strange question to ask on a board, particularly one sponsored by a travel agent, and populated by fellow travelers. Who on such a board can properly answer that question with any authority? Of course it's going to cause controversy and disagreements. It's not a good place to get such information. 

As PeterPan said, there are plenty of places to talk about and get information on covid. 

OP, I'm sorry you are angry about this. 

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by a 'private' board? It's no more private than this board or one run by Disney. 

People ask similar questions on this board all the time, and it's not a travel board, lol. It's common to want other opinions; I doubt they expected an authoritative answer. 

My guess is that the majority of posters have not the faintest idea that it is run by a travel agency. I know I didn't for many years. There's no banner or anything indicating such. There are ads, but not just for the travel agency, and of course such ads are expected on a Disney board. So that isn't a thought most posters have when starting or responding to a thread. 

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

It used to be better.

I agree. I wonder if it just got too big or -?

2 hours ago, Sdel said:

As a travel agency they were hurt really badly by covid and the restrictions.  Allowing discussion of how it might not be safe to travel would be further taking potential money away from their business.  And from my understanding they are pretty upfront about the zero tolerance for such threads                       

They do allow Covid threads if they are related directly to travel, which they interpret as topics like restrictions, where to get tests at destination, and so on. There will always be a certain amount of confusion as to what exactly is allowed or not. 

14 minutes ago, katilac said:

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by a 'private' board? It's no more private than this board or one run by Disney. 

Yeah, "private" was not the best word. What I meant was - someone owns/runs the board; it is paid for by someone (sponsors, ads); it is moderated: discussion topics can be allowed or banned.  Just like here or any other board. 

But whether people know it's run by a travel agency or not, someone "posted asking if they should take the kids with cases going up." I just find that a very odd question to ask on such a board; wouldn't it be more useful to look for information on a board related to public health issues, covid dashboard for the area, etc? I mean, some people are going to say yes; some people are going to say no. I just don't see the value of asking the question in that venue, and I can see why the board owners wouldn't want that discussion. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, katilac said:

They do allow Covid threads if they are related directly to travel, which they interpret as topics like restrictions, where to get tests at destination, and so on. There will always be a certain amount of confusion as to what exactly is allowed or not. 

Except the OP is mad that a site that supports a business that sells travel to Disney (a venue that is focused on kids) censured her post that was meant to make that OP decide against an action that could bring that site business after a very bad year for the tourist industry. That is it in a nutshell.  They are very upfront about their covid posting policy and what is allowed and what isn’t.

Edited by Sdel
  • Like 1