Menu

I thought I drank the Curly Girl Kool-Aid but . . .

KungFuPanda

Is it just me, or is this overkill?  This may be the most extreme one I've ever seen. It's like you should walk away with a professional certification of some sort.

First-time client: Curl-by-curl cut 
Starts at $155
This is a 2-hour process of cutting, cleansing, and styling your curls, with intense hands on education enabling you to feel confident in your at-home styling. 

Repeat cut including cleanse and set
Starts at $125
Most curly girls find at the 3–4 month mark, they need a follow-up style lesson. This makes sure that your at-home routine is maximizing the beauty of your curls. 

Dry cut only
Starts at $95
This is a repeat cut. The Curly Girl has at least had the two - hour cut, and is confident in her styling techniques and just needs to keep her shape current. 

Edited by KungFuPanda

Since a regular cut in a good salon here often runs $50 to 80 for typical hair, that price sounds about right. 

A curl by curl cut will look so much better than a regular cut. But a regular cut can be super cute too! For someone who really enjoys caring for their looks, I can see trying it once. But for me, I really don’t care about such things, so I would never spend that much. 

Ok, but a curl by curl dry cut is standard here at any salon that does a curly cut.  I guess half the price is the "class." Part of me kinda likes that this is a thing that exists and part of me wonders what could possibly top this.  Two hours seems like a really long time to be in that chair.

I can't really speak to any of this, because when my hair gets too long I just hand DH whatever scissors I can find and have him cut it.  That being said, my SIL has curly/kinky hair and she drives over an hour to her hair stylist and pays big bucks to "tame" her hair (her words). So I don't think it's that overpriced. 

At that price point, I'm expecting a scalp massage once you get to the shampoo. 😁

I can't afford that, but I might pay it once or twice. I have long, thick, curly hair. I gave up on hair dressers about 20 years ago (has it been that long!!!). I cut it myself, dry cut, curl by curl. My hair looks good yet it could look better. 

I've had so many bad haircuts before when curly hair cuts weren't really a thing. 

My super curly girl got the best haircut of her life at a Black-owned salon a couple years ago, and hasn't gone anywhere else since. I think it's in the $60 + tip range for shoulder length hair. No idea if her stylist uses the curl-by-curly technique but dd's hair looks great, the cost is super reasonable and supports a Black-owned business. She's gotten product recs and styling ideas from her stylist and from friends. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Is it just me, or is this overkill?  This may be the most extreme one I've ever seen. It's like you should walk away with a professional certification of some sort.

First-time client: Curl-by-curl cut 
Starts at $155
This is a 2-hour process of cutting, cleansing, and styling your curls, with intense hands on education enabling you to feel confident in your at-home styling. 

Repeat cut including cleanse and set
Starts at $125
Most curly girls find at the 3–4 month mark, they need a follow-up style lesson. This makes sure that your at-home routine is maximizing the beauty of your curls. 

Dry cut only
Starts at $95
This is a repeat cut. The Curly Girl has at least had the two - hour cut, and is confident in her styling techniques and just needs to keep her shape current. 

That is about what it runs here. If they have been Deva certified, the prices are even higher depending on their level.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

That is about what it runs here. If they have been Deva certified, the prices are even higher depending on their level.  

We have a several Deva cut places to choose from around here.  They don't cost THIS much, but it's probably the same if you break it down by time..  I've been cutting my own hair a lot over the last year and a half, but I'm too chicken to take off more than an inch at a time.  At some point I need to go in and have someone with confidence take off about four inches.  I kinda like doing it myself because m curls curl unevenly and I can get it just the way I want, but I'm too cautious to remove any real length.

18 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

We have a several Deva cut places to choose from around here.  They don't cost THIS much, but it's probably the same if you break it down by time..  I've been cutting my own hair a lot over the last year and a half, but I'm too chicken to take off more than an inch at a time.  At some point I need to go in and have someone with confidence take off about four inches.  I kinda like doing it myself because m curls curl unevenly and I can get it just the way I want, but I'm too cautious to remove any real length.

I'm not going to lie, if the best hair stylists in town didn't already have full client lists, I would consider paying that much for a decent cut. I have very different types of curls all over my own cute little head and nobody can give me a decent cut.  You can't cut my waves the same as my curls and have it look decent.

As it is, I go to Great Clips and get butchered a few times a year and live in pony tails.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I flipped the words and read this as I just hand whatever DH the scissors and I was like, interesting neighborhood . . . 

Well when I'm ready for it to be cut I'd probably hand even a stranger the scissors. But...usually it's just my own DH. However - my daughter wants a turn next time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeartString said:

Not to derail, but does anyone have any curly hair  product recommendations? 

I love the ouidad products.  I like their curl cream, their shampoo, and especially the heat and humidity control gel.  That gel changed my life.  I get the light one.  It doesn't really have hold and it doesn't make your hair crunchy, it just GREATLY reduces the frizz factor.  A Dennman brush is a nice tool too. It smooths out the hair and evenly distributes the products to keep your curls smoother.  For my hair, a diffuser is essential if I want the hair to curl at the roots.  My hair is so baby fine that the weight of the water will flatten the roots if I don't diffuse.  I use the Black Orchid diffuser from amazon at home and just a sock diffuser when I travel.  I haven't purchased a microfiber towel yet and I just use a t-shirt to wrap my head out of the shower.  I also have yet to purchase a silk or satin pillowcase, but I should probably do that next.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I love the ouidad products.  I like their curl cream, their shampoo, and especially the heat and humidity control gel.  That gel changed my life.  I get the light one.  It doesn't really have hold and it doesn't make your hair crunchy, it just GREATLY reduces the frizz factor.  A Dennman brush is a nice tool too. It smooths out the hair and evenly distributes the products to keep your curls smoother.  For my hair, a diffuser is essential if I want the hair to curl at the roots.  My hair is so baby fine that the weight of the water will flatten the roots if I don't diffuse.  I use the Black Orchid diffuser from amazon at home and just a sock diffuser when I travel.  I haven't purchased a microfiber towel yet and I just use a t-shirt to wrap my head out of the shower.  I also have yet to purchase a silk or satin pillowcase, but I should probably do that next.  

Thank you!  That's interesting about the diffuser, I never understood the point of those, that's helpful.

Edited by HeartString

2 hours ago, HeartString said:

Not to derail, but does anyone have any curly hair  product recommendations? 

My budget is small, so I use the Aussie 3 min conditioner. I use conditioner mostly instead of shampoo. I haven't use a blow dryer since the 90s, and I use either a microfiber towel or Turkish towel on my hair. I only comb it when it's wet. 

I used to recommend Deva Curl. They apparently changed their formulation a few years ago, there are all kinds of comments if you google. Last time I used it, it really did not work well for my hair. 

I loved the feel of Cantu Shea Butter products (& the price is right!) but it was too heavy for my wavy parts. It’s the perfect product for super dry and super kinky hair.

Desert Essence or Trader Joe’s tea tree tingle works better on my wavy bits (2b/2c) or in the summer. It’s much lighter product.

Tigi Bedhead Foxy Curls mousse is amazing. When I can afford it, I prefer bed head products for almost everything.

11 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I used to recommend Deva Curl. They apparently changed their formulation a few years ago, there are all kinds of comments if you google. Last time I used it, it really did not work well for my hair. 

You may just need different versions. Be sure to read the descriptions, as the packaging is almost identical.  DevaCurl wavy hair products won't be right for people with super curly hair, and the ones for super curly hair won't be right for waves.

• Like 1

I just cut my own hair. It isn't great; it isn't terrible. I have had curly haired people ask me who cuts it because they were looking for someone so it can't be that bad. Although, it is getting harder because I have a dead spot in the back. 

I went to a number of stylists when younger but didn't realize I needed to specifically look for someone who specialized in curly hair and that is how I started cutting my own. They really didn't know how to deal with curly hair.

Those prices seem very much in line with Deva cut prices around here.  The dry cut price strikes me as low, actually.  

The two-hour business, though, seems nuts.  I guess they're including time under the dryer, but still.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, klmama said:

You may just need different versions. Be sure to read the descriptions, as the packaging is almost identical.  DevaCurl wavy hair products won't be right for people with super curly hair, and the ones for super curly hair won't be right for waves.

It was the same one I always used. This article from 2020 talks about some of the class action lawsuits against Deva Curl. I am NOT a part of that, but I did have itching & hair loss which I had not experienced in their products several years earlier. 

10 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

It was the same one I always used. This article from 2020 talks about some of the class action lawsuits against Deva Curl. I am NOT a part of that, but I did have itching & hair loss which I had not experienced in their products several years earlier. 

Oh, my!  I can certainly understand not recommending them after that!

My daughter gets her curly hair done at a fancy place on Newberry St in Boston. Those prices are in line with what I pay. I've never had such an expensive haircut ever in my whole life but her hair looks amazing so I'm willing (and thank G-d) and able to pay for it about 4 times a year. Hair products are another large expense but I buy her stuff from Target not the hair salon. When we lived in Indianapolis we found a DevaCut person who did kid's hair for $15. Oh my!

6 hours ago, klmama said:

4 hours ago, frogger said:

I just cut my own hair. It isn't great; it isn't terrible. I have had curly haired people ask me who cuts it because they were looking for someone so it can't be that bad. Although, it is getting harder because I have a dead spot in the back. 

I went to a number of stylists when younger but didn't realize I needed to specifically look for someone who specialized in curly hair and that is how I started cutting my own. They really didn't know how to deal with curly hair.

I did find a hair dresser who put good layers so my curls looked good but when covid hit I searched you tube and learned to cut my own hair and actually like it better than professional cut.  

• Like 1

My pre-covid ritual was to spring for a good curly cut, then maintain it for about a year by occasionally snipping off the last curl on every ringlet.  During theh pandemic I've experimented with putting my hair in high pig tails to get the layers in, then going back and cutting each curl individually to make it even and to account for differences in the curl pattern.  I think I watched a video by Manes by Mel and got the pigtail idea from her.  I rather like my home haircuts, but they need to be a bit shorter and I'm too chicken.

• Like 2

How often do you all wash your hair?  The only product I am using right now is a leave in conditioner (it seems I need to be looking at some of the others you all are recommending). Not to be gross but I only wash my hair twice a week now.  The other days I don't, but I do wet it down to revive the curl.  It seems since I have been doing this that my hair has been healthier, but I still struggle with the humidity/rainy day hair frizz that was mentioned upthread.  

I really, really need my hair cut--it has been more than a year. But our budget is Great Clips basically and I have been hesitating.  

Edited by cintinative

35 minutes ago, cintinative said:

How often do you all wash your hair?  The only product I am using right now is a leave in conditioner (it seems I need to be looking at some of the others you all are recommending). Not to be gross but I only wash my hair twice a week now.  The other days I don't, but I do wet it down to revive the curl.  It seems since I have been doing this that my hair has been healthier, but I still struggle with the humidity/rainy day hair frizz that was mentioned upthread.  

I really, really need my hair cut--it has been more than a year. But our budget is Great Clips basically and I have been hesitating.  

I generally wash my hair every other day. I wash with conditioner, then put in some leave-in conditioner. I use a turkish towel to keep my head wrapped up for at least 30 minutes. If I go out in the heat before it's dry, it's more likely to frizz. Washing with conditioner gets my scalp clean enough, yet there are some days I use shampoo- not sure why though 🙄. Everytime I do, it strips the moisture off my hair and makes it frizzy for days. I'm annoyed because I tried a shampoo someone gave me that was supposed to repair hair. My hair is still fly away and dry even after another conditioner wash. 

I'm experimenting with different leave in conditioners right now, some are more heavy than others. Right now I'm using Loreal Elvive Total Repair 5 protein recharge - it's good but tends to feel a bit flaky if you don't wash again on that 3rd day. Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie - this seems a bit heavy for my hair - I haven't used it for a while though. Yesterday, after reading this thread, I bought the Aussie Miracle Culrs leave in detangling- milk - I've used this before a long while ago, so I'll see how this one goes. 

On the off shampoo day I generally put my hair in a bun as it's long and gets in my face. I have successfully used a spray bottle of water to get my hair damp, then put in more light conditioner to help the curl bounce back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I only wash my hair about twice a week. When I sleep at night, I “pineapple” my hair, which is just putting it in a ponytail on top of your head so you don’t sleep on the curls and mess them up. I can generally get 2-3 days of nice curls out of one big wash-style-diffuse effort. If I get to day 4 it’s an updo. 😒 

In the summer I have to use shampoo more often because I get garden dirt everywhere, but in the winter I probably only use shampoo once every two months and wash with just conditioner the rest of the time. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:11 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm not going to lie, if the best hair stylists in town didn't already have full client lists, I would consider paying that much for a decent cut. I have very different types of curls all over my own cute little head and nobody can give me a decent cut.  You can't cut my waves the same as my curls and have it look decent.

As it is, I go to Great Clips and get butchered a few times a year and live in pony tails.

I have hair that is curly on the sides, barely waving in the back. It's crazy making. 99% of the time I blow it dry and straighten  because that's just easier to deal with

Good to know that I've saved myself that much by hacking at my curls in the mirror with scissors. Since I never wear it straight it works for me. LOL! If I do get a haircut my curls are really forgiving. I just put mousse in after brushing them straight when wet (they re-form fine) and let them air dry (or diffuse if I feel like it). I must be doing ok because I get compliments on my hair often.

6 minutes ago, importswim said:

Good to know that I've saved myself that much by hacking at my curls in the mirror with scissors. Since I never wear it straight it works for me. LOL! If I do get a haircut my curls are really forgiving. I just put mousse in after brushing them straight when wet (they re-form fine) and let them air dry (or diffuse if I feel like it). I must be doing ok because I get compliments on my hair often.

Quoting myself to say I just use Dove Mousse. It's my favorite and the best that I've found for my curls. Whenever I DO make it to a hairstylist they try all of the many different types of curl creams and they don't compare at all to my Dove mousse.