Menu

Okay hive give me best home remedies for ear ache

lynn

My girl (15)  has an ear infection but no apparent reason, no allergies, has not been swimming.  We went to the Dr yesterday and got antibiotics but she is very uncomfortable today.  Seems actually worse.  She has a high pain tolerance so for her to say something, which thankfully she spoke up yesterday when the pediatrician office was open, she must feel miserable.  Help me help my girl.  I'm hoping 2 days of antibiotics will give relief and the pediatrician told us to call if not relief in 72 hours.

• Sad 2

If it doesn't resolve with antibiotics, it could be a yeast infection.  One of my kids tends to get infections that aren't cleared by typical antibiotics and that's how his presented.  Just a heads up.  We had to go to an ear, nose, throat Dr. to have it diagnosed and that Dr. was pretty sure it was yeast after I described the multiple visits to the pediatrician that never resolved the issue. 

• Like 1

Fill a thick cotton sock with (raw, dry) rice and tie it at the top (like a balloon). Heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until very warm (but NOT hot). Use as a warm compress for 5-10 minutes every hour.

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 3

On 7/17/2021 at 1:12 PM, pinball said:

Numbing ear drops 

This is the best for pain, but you have to have a prescription and a compounding pharmacy. Nobody manufactures these anymore!

Hydrogen peroxide can help with fluid, warm olive oil can help with irritation. 

On 7/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, Noreen Claire said:

Fill a thick cotton sock with (raw, dry) rice and tie it at the top (like a balloon). Heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until very warm (but NOT hot). Use as a warm compress for 5-10 minutes every hour.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:48 PM, bluemongoose said:

Garlic and mullein ear drops. I'm not an essential oils type person, but this has some science to back it up. I have found it works. Kinda smelly though. 

Both of these (though we’ve just done garlic infused warm olive oil) help my ds prone to ear pain, but to add to the woo, microwaving half an onion in a cup of water and then applying the warm onion against the ear was the most effective thing we ever used 🤷‍♀️. Figured it couldn’t hurt, and it ended up helping him a lot. 

3 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I crush raw garlic into olive oil, let steep and put a drop in ear. My kids hate it, they say they smell like salad, but it seems to work. 

I put apple cider vinegar on bug bites, and my dh always says, “You smell like a salad. What bit you?” 

Edited by Catwoman
Autocorrect is weird.
  • Haha 1

Be careful!  I took my daughter to the minute clinic, they thought it was an ear infection, but after a day the antibiotic didn't do anything to relieve the pain (neither did hydrogen peroxide, the heated rice sock helped a little), she ended up needing ear steroid drops for the inflammation caused by ear buds.  The ear drops worked right away.  She now uses headphones at home