Menu

Perceptions of safety (for lack of better title)

Carrie12345

42 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

I'm always a little amused by my neighbors who hear any loud noise and think "gunshot" and not "I live in a place where that is exceedingly unlikely to be a gunshot".  I have lived in neighborhoods where gun shots were heard from time to time.  If your reaction to what you think is a gunshot is to go online and post that you think you heard a gunshot, it's probably NOT a gun shot.  

On our community FB page plenty of people love to jump on anyone who dares to complain about shooting. As in "If you're such a pansy you're afraid of someone target shooting/hunting/whatever then you probably shouldn't live here." I mean if you think you hear a gun here mostly likely it IS a gun. But not likely one involved in a crime (other than perhaps a noise violation).

All your new neighbors need to get a life, and a grip, and stop posting videos on the internet. If nefarious activities were happening so much, then the crime rate would reflect it. If it doesn't, it must be because there's an innocent - or at least non-criminal - reason for all of this. Maybe the person who knocked on the door for water was out for a jog and suddenly overcome with the heat and *really thirsty*. Maybe the person going door to door for pest control parked around the corner and thought he'd get his steps in at the same time. Maybe the guy parked in the car was waiting for a friend, or lost and decided to eat his lunch before checking GPS.

If you know you have problems with anxiety, you're already one step ahead of these people. Stop reading their crazymaking neighborhood page.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

On our community FB page plenty of people love to jump on anyone who dares to complain about shooting. As in "If you're such a pansy you're afraid of someone target shooting/hunting/whatever then you probably shouldn't live here." I mean if you think you hear a gun here mostly likely it IS a gun. But not likely one involved in a crime (other than perhaps a noise violation).

Densely populated suburb here so the only target shooting is at a shooting range.  Definitely no hunting.   One year someone posted about gunshots on like July 2nd and I was like “um, check your calendar”. The NextDoor types didn’t much like that but seriously.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

I'm always a little amused by my neighbors who hear any loud noise and think "gunshot" and not "I live in a place where that is exceedingly unlikely to be a gunshot".  I have lived in neighborhoods where gun shots were heard from time to time.  If your reaction to what you think is a gunshot is to go online and post that you think you heard a gunshot, it's probably NOT a gun shot.  

So, I do live in an area where those are gunshots - homicides do happen but even then mostly people use them like fireworks (Oakland, CA). In my neighborhood online group someone posted to warn everyone North Korea is invading... I think some neighbors feel like they have to make the crime in their cities 100x more than it has to be.