Menu

Relatives dying from Covid is much harder now that the vaccine is available.

Shelydon

1 minute ago, Seasider too said:

Musing on this…. There is/was the notion for a long time, in conservative families, that the only acceptable outside the home occupations were teacher or nurse. So I wonder if there is a correlation between antivax folks (as in, big advocates for personal freedom) and occupations.

Doesn’t seem to hold true for teachers, though, ime. I guess I’m just struggling to find logic somewhere. 

The nurses I know who have had (what I feel is) a disconnect between their professional knowledge and their reaction to Covid vaccines have been influenced by political/ QAnon type conspiracy theories.  And it is a disconnect. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

11 minutes ago, Danae said:

I know several people who got it early when getting an appointment for any vaccine was a triumph and the guidance was "whatever shot you're offered, take it."

It turns out if they'd waited a few weeks they would have had their pick of vaccines and appointment times, but they didn't know that at the time.

Yes, for sure!  I was super impressed with one of my son's college roomies who rented a zip car and drove 90 minutes to get the J&J and was one of the earlier students to be vaccinated before they were vaccinating students on campus.  My son ended up with Pfizer being a bit slower.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Same here, plus at first some I know had to make a long drive to the nearest place with any available vaccine appointments. Getting Moderna or Pfizer meant not one but two long drives (I know some that went >2 hours away). The J&J made it a one-trip event. 

Yes, absolutely this.  I know several people that were registering everywhere, refreshing every page, trying every option, back in late winter/early spring when it was really hard to get a shot.  There were so many reports of extras given away at the end of the day, etc if you were just willing to drive around and try to get a shot.  So any shot found was taken.  Some people in my state were also "randomly selected" to get a shot before their group was generally eligible and even if it was J&J, they were very excited to be picked before it was just available to everyone.  Some of those people I know are definitely regretting now they didn't just wait a month or two when they could have gotten one of the other two.  But at the time,  it seemed liked the right thing to do.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

In this case unfortunately no. These are the same nurses who complain about the fact that annual flu shots are required as a condition of employment. They don't vaccinate their children, and not for legitimate medical reasons. They're truly anti-vax. 😢

And how little do I understand that- to think how many people died of smallpox!  How many people got deaf with measles!  Etc, etc.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Musing on this…. There is/was the notion for a long time, in conservative families, that the only acceptable outside the home occupations were teacher or nurse. So I wonder if there is a correlation between antivax folks (as in, big advocates for personal freedom) and occupations.

Doesn’t seem to hold true for teachers, though, ime. I guess I’m just struggling to find logic somewhere. 

In a subset of conservative families.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

And how little do I understand that- to think how many people died of smallpox!  How many people got deaf with measles!  Etc, etc.

They claim that hygiene and clean water cured those, not vaccines. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

They claim that hygiene and clean water cured those, not vaccines. 

which makes no sense since measles is airborne, and smallpox is mainly inhalation of droplets (it is still undetermined to what degree aerosol transmission was relevant)

Hygiene and clean water are responsible for the disappearance of cholera in developed countries

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, regentrude said:

which makes no sense since measles is airborne, and smallpox is mainly inhalation of droplets (it is still undetermined to what degree aerosol transmission was relevant)

Hygiene and clean water are responsible for the disappearance of cholera in developed countries

Oh, well if you want to require the reasoning to make sense....

sigh. 

My last homeschool outing back in march 2020 we were just starting to really talk about Covid and I heard someone say that Covid was caused by flu vaccines given to the military. And that was the last event I went to. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The nurses I know who have had (what I feel is) a disconnect between their professional knowledge and their reaction to Covid vaccines have been influenced by political/ QAnon type conspiracy theories.  And it is a disconnect. 

So the nurse I’ve based my responses on (says she’s not anti-vaccine normally, this one was rushed, has been snarky about the Covid vaccine), re-posted this on FB today:

image.png.2f3e4c4177563284146861766ce6d826.png

• Sad 10

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

So the nurse I’ve based my responses on (says she’s not anti-vaccine normally, this one was rushed, has been snarky about the Covid vaccine), re-posted this on FB today:

The very last thing people need are hugs from an unvaccinated nurse.
(At least bibles and pocket constitutions don't spread disease. )

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Same here, plus at first some I know had to make a long drive to the nearest place with any available vaccine appointments. Getting Moderna or Pfizer meant not one but two long drives (I know some that went >2 hours away). The J&J made it a one-trip event. 

This was my fam. My dh and 2 of my dds got J and J because appointments were scarce at the time. My husband wants to go ahead and get an mrna now, too. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I can’t even.  There’s not a reaction emoji that works here, I think what would be best is a screaming face.  

That’s the kind of thing that makes me happy we don’t do FB here.  Wow.  How do you even process that?!

(Oh, and totally off base but way back at the beginning of this mess, I thought it was determined that elderberry syrup wasn’t a good option?  Something about immune response. Not that it matters!)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

I can’t even.  There’s not a reaction emoji that works here, I think what would be best is a screaming face.  

That’s the kind of thing that makes me happy we don’t do FB here.  Wow.  How do you even process that?!

This is after pretty brutal paring down of FB friends. Screaming emoji, indeed.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spryte said:

(Oh, and totally off base but way back at the beginning of this mess, I thought it was determined that elderberry syrup wasn’t a good option?  Something about immune response. Not that it matters!)

You may be remembering the responses of a number of us who have autoimmune diseases- we can't do elderberry syrup nor echinacea (not mentioned here) because they ramp up the immune system and ours are messed up and will just make our given autoimmune disease(s) worse.  

But also, one of the problems with COVID is that early on- you want your immune system to work but very soon after, you do not want it to work very much- much of the problems with COVID are too much of the immune system which is why one of the most commonly used medications is a steroid.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

You may be remembering the responses of a number of us who have autoimmune diseases- we can't do elderberry syrup nor echinacea (not mentioned here) because they ramp up the immune system and ours are messed up and will just make our given autoimmune disease(s) worse.  

But also, one of the problems with COVID is that early on- you want your immune system to work but very soon after, you do not want it to work very much- much of the problems with COVID are too much of the immune system which is why one of the most commonly used medications is a steroid.  

Ah, that’s it.  Thanks.  Everyone except DH in our family has autoimmune issues, so I must have mentally scratched it off the list. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kbutton said:

So is colloidal silver Jesus, herbs, history or hugs?   Cause I'm thinking it's <<gasp>> a chemical.  

• Haha 6