Menu

Disabilities services in Oregon

sassenach

We're happy with the services our 24 yo dd receives. She needs assistance with all activities of daily living--feeding, diapers, she's nonverbal and in a wheelchair, seizures and seizure meds, wears orthotics. I can have up to 400 hours per month for her care I think, based on assessment of how much help she needs. I was able to return to work a few years ago because this care is available. We have a contract with a company that provides the care providers and does their training and background checks. And they have to have a steady supply of people as this is a high turnover industry. The invoices go directly to (someone else--county health department developmental disabilities I think?? Her case manager is there). Let's just say the hourly rate is way more than I earn--I couldn't work without this support. We only use this to provide care while my dh and I work. We do her care the rest of the time. But we're also only using maybe half our hours. She has SSI and medicaid (which pays for her diapers); there is really so much more support for disabled adults than there is for disabled kids. I think Oregon is a pretty good place for her to live, but I don't know how it compares to CA directly.

https://www.oregon.gov/dhs/seniors-disabilities/DD/Pages/index.aspx

Edited by Ali in OR

Or did you mean paying parents to care for their child? I've known of people who can do this, but someone else has to be the legal guardian of the child I believe. I don't remember details, but the mom of a classmate of hers was paid to care for her (and sisters were care providers too), but I think Grandma was the legal guardian.