Menu

Cat people . . . ?

gardenmom5

Since the cat spends so much time outside, he needs a flea/tick preventative.  The vet wants me to do a Rx/Revolution (pricy) or I can buy a box of eight from costco (or amazon) for half that.

Is there really that big of a difference  (other than price)?

A box of eight what from Costco? Brand, active ingredient, etc.

I'm old enough to remember lots and lots of serious issues with OTC flea/tick products, so I stick with prescription products from reputable vendors. I'm leery of generic stuff.

Signed, she who just spent almost $120 on six NexGard tablets which will last my two dogs three months

• Like 1

Yes, it can depend upon active ingredients. We use Para/Defense II from the vet on my boyfriend's mother's cat. He has a flea allergy. 

For a cat that goes outside, you want one that kills fleas, ticks, and flea eggs. I am also hesitant to use cheaper brands, especially on cats - who seem more sensitive to chemicals. 

• Like 1

After trying Frontline and Advantage, Revolution is the only thing that works right now on fleas. They seem to have become resistant to every other kind of flea medication. I would never buy an off-brand flea medication as I have heard too many horror stories of cats dying from budget flea medications. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

A box of eight what from Costco? Brand, active ingredient, etc.

I'm old enough to remember lots and lots of serious issues with OTC flea/tick products, so I stick with prescription products from reputable vendors. I'm leery of generic stuff.

Signed, she who just spent almost $120 on six NexGard tablets which will last my two dogs three months

I agree! I strongly recommend things like Frontline, etc. Tractor Supply used to sell something (can’t remember the name of it) that was downright dangerous. Many horror stories online. Get the well known vet brands. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelydon said:

After trying Frontline and Advantage, Revolution is the only thing that works right now on fleas. They seem to have become resistant to every other kind of flea medication. I would never buy an off-brand flea medication as I have heard too many horror stories of cats dying from budget flea medications. 

My vet rec'd Revolution - and so that's what I was looking for.  I balked at paying $20+ a monthly treatment, so I started looking at options.  Read a lot of review sites.    (I was looking at either frontline plus or advantage II, nothing else appealed to me.   I wasn't completely happy with either of them.)

Budgepetcare.com (meds, sups, etc. is all they do, incl. large animals.) had Revolution for practically 1/2 of what Chewy cost. (and chewy was cheaper than the vet!)  And you can do an autoship and get an extra 10% off.

55 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I agree! I strongly recommend things like Frontline, etc. Tractor Supply used to sell something (can’t remember the name of it) that was downright dangerous. Many horror stories online. Get the well known vet brands. 

costco only sells frontline for flea and tick.  $80 for eight treatments.  (amazon is cheaper)  advantage II doesn't advertise as killing ticks.

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

My vet rec'd Revolution - and so that's what I was looking for.  I balked at paying $20+ a monthly treatment, so I started looking at options.  Read a lot of review sites.    (I was looking at either frontline plus or advantage II, nothing else appealed to me.   I wasn't completely happy with either of them.)

Budgepetcare.com (meds, sups, etc. is all they do, incl. large animals.) had Revolution for practically 1/2 of what Chewy cost. (and chewy was cheaper than the vet!)  And you can do an autoship and get an extra 10% off.

costco only sells frontline for flea and tick.  $80 for eight treatments.  (amazon is cheaper)  advantage II doesn't advertise as killing ticks.

I find that I only have to use revolution every 3 to 4 months. It's very effective on my cats. I would just triple check and make sure it's the real deal. The company only sells to dealers who will require a prescription, so you want to find out how they're getting around that. I do know you can order from out of the country, New Zealand or Australia, and get the real product.

22 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

I find that I only have to use revolution every 3 to 4 months. It's very effective on my cats. I would just triple check and make sure it's the real deal. The company only sells to dealers who will require a prescription, so you want to find out how they're getting around that. I do know you can order from out of the country, New Zealand or Australia, and get the real product.

I don't even have a flea/tick problem.  This is all prophylactic because he goes outside every day.  (though those three days when it was really hot - we hit 108 - he would glare at me whenever I opened the door.  Like he was blaming me that it was so hot.  Then, he'd go back and sit in front of the door and cry because he wanted out.)

eta: looking at them, they are a "middleman" and don't actually stock drugs, but "facilitate" . . we'll see.  Worse comes to worse, I cancel it and buy frontline.  Or fork out for Chewy.

How do you know you only need to use it every three -four months?   

Edited by gardenmom5

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I don't even have a flea/tick problem.  This is all prophylactic because he goes outside every day.  (though those three days when it was really hot - we hit 108 - he would glare at me whenever I opened the door.  Like he was blaming me that it was so hot.  Then, he'd go back and sit in front of the door and cry because he wanted out.)

eta: looking at them, they are a "middleman" and don't actually stock drugs, but "facilitate" . . we'll see.  Worse comes to worse, I cancel it and buy frontline.  Or fork out for Chewy.

How do you know you only need to use it every three -four months?   

Revolution's info says it kills fleas and ticks "up to 5 weeks." Which means that's probably as long as their test went.

Also, keep in mind that depending on your weather you may not need to use a product year round. We're fairly hot and humid here, but our winters are cold enough that I don't feel the need to use anything for four or five months of the year. When I start/stop depends on how the temps are going, but usually at a minimum I don't use anything December-March.

I would be very leery of a site that says it is a "facilitator." Counterfeit flea/tick products are a thing. At best you end up with water, at worst . . something that makes your cat very sick or dead. The risk isn't worth it to me, so I stick with my vet or Chewy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Revolution's info says it kills fleas and ticks "up to 5 weeks." Which means that's probably as long as their test went.

Also, keep in mind that depending on your weather you may not need to use a product year round. We're fairly hot and humid here, but our winters are cold enough that I don't feel the need to use anything for four or five months of the year. When I start/stop depends on how the temps are going, but usually at a minimum I don't use anything December-March.

Knowing how testing is supposed to work - I would expect their tests went longer and 5 weeks was an average/at least.  There is a brand out there that made the NYT's "best list" that advertises three months (which would make me nervous about just how strong it is)  Our winters are rarely cold enough to kill everything.   

I cancelled the order with this place.  No issues.  I did get an email confirmation the order was cancelled.

Costco has pet Rx, so I'm going to ask how much (cost is not available online.)

anyone have experience with 1800petmeds?   I've seen ads for them for years.

47 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I cancelled the order with this place.  No issues.  I did get an email confirmation the order was cancelled.

Costco has pet Rx, so I'm going to ask how much (cost is not available online.)

anyone have experience with 1800petmeds?   I've seen ads for them for years.

I don't remember ever ordering from them myself, but I'm pretty sure they're legit.

• Like 1