Jump to content

Menu

Earning a WTM badge.... ?


sheryl
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was sent a notification that I rec'd a badge for being on board/site 1 year.  I think that's what I saw.  It shows I received 2 other badges earlier which I don't ever remember seeing.  

But, the thing is this - I joined wtm around 2006, 2007 give or take.  Probably 2007 or so.  I don't understand but thanks WTM for the badge!  🙂  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I was sent a notification that I rec'd a badge for being on board/site 1 year.  I think that's what I saw.  It shows I received 2 other badges earlier which I don't ever remember seeing.  

But, the thing is this - I joined wtm around 2006, 2007 give or take.  Probably 2007 or so.  I don't understand but thanks WTM for the badge!  🙂  

It's an obnoxious feature of the new update

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I was sent a notification that I rec'd a badge for being on board/site 1 year.  I think that's what I saw.  It shows I received 2 other badges earlier which I don't ever remember seeing.  

But, the thing is this - I joined wtm around 2006, 2007 give or take.  Probably 2007 or so.  I don't understand but thanks WTM for the badge!  🙂  

They are doing an upgrade.  It is happening to all of us.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, got it.  Well, the info is incorrect.  Arcadia - YES!  I agree, just leave some things alone.  It's annoying.  They already have our attention and interest to stay on the board.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well to be fair, as someone who has worked on software and usability, the overall look and feel of this board has had a pretty old school vibe for a while.  Very 2008 LOL.  I don't blame them for wanting to update the look and feel a bit to be more attractive for potential newer users and participators.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Well to be fair, as someone who has worked on software and usability, the overall look and feel of this board has had a pretty old school vibe for a while.  Very 2008 LOL.  I don't blame them for wanting to update the look and feel a bit to be more attractive for potential newer users and participators.  

And in addition, software often reaches a point where you are forced to upgrade or the version you’re on is no longer supported by the company who made it, and/or becomes incompatible with your hardware.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

Funny to be given a one year badge when I've been here nearly 20 years!  🤣

I know.  That's my point.  You're one of the first.  I've been her for about 13-14 years which is long but I just earned my 1 year badge.  ??   I could care less how it looks as long as it's user-friendly to navigate,  People are just happy to be here and could care less about having the newest version.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, KSera said:

And in addition, software often reaches a point where you are forced to upgrade or the version you’re on is no longer supported by the company who made it, and/or becomes incompatible with your hardware.

But can't you turn things like "badges" and "rankings" on and off? Those things are pretty childish for an adult forum.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have two badges and it appears they are rare, lol. It looks like everyone has a hand on their avatar now, and everyone is a newbie! 

I started that thread awhile back where I was complaining about having a hand on my avatar, and now everyone does! 

Also, there doesn’t seem to be a post count by people’s avatars any longer. I need to get on my iPad to see what it looks like, lol.

Edit: I just earned the “collaborator” badge! 😬
Edit again: On the iPad I can see post counts, signatures, etc.

Edit again: All the avatars and hands mystery is making me wonder where @Spy Car is. Haven’t seen him around lately.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KSera said:

And in addition, software often reaches a point where you are forced to upgrade or the version you’re on is no longer supported by the company who made it, and/or becomes incompatible with your hardware.

Absolutely.  It's easy to forget this isn't THEIR platform.  I can actually see why from a new user perspective on a homeschool related board, it might be nice to be able to differentiate whose been here a while and has been around the block and who else is newer.  One of the things I hate about homeschool boards is it's a lot of the blind leading the blind.  I've rage quit a bunch of homeschool boards the past few years.  But I'm the weirdo wondering why half the speakers at homeschool conferences are chosen to speak.  Obviously that doesn't work if EVERYONE is marked a newbie and isn't super meaningful on the chat board for those of us mostly hanging out here, but maybe it's shaking out.  

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Obviously that doesn't work if EVERYONE is marked a newbie and isn't super meaningful on the chat board for those of us mostly hanging out here, but maybe it's shaking out.  

I think the system/platform is slowly “promoting” people. I was “promoted” to rookie an hour ago and PeterPan was “promoted” to apprentice 

I guess whoever wrote the new platform did not go for a while loop to determine posters’ rank. So everyone ends up getting promoted step by step. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

But can't you turn things like "badges" and "rankings" on and off? Those things are pretty childish for an adult forum.

Have to agree with Corraleno. Infantilizing. There are precious few places where one can come for intellectual discussion about homeschooling, academics, and other issues of importance. The WTM is one of them. To have Clapping Hands! and Badges! (Gee Whiz! What will they come up with next?) degrades the image that this is a serious forum. Post count was an adequate way to judge people's participation over time. One year badges for people who have been here 20 years is both erroneous and insulting. 

Plus the annoying clapping hands are blocking parts of people's avatars, for example, one of MercyA's avatar's legs has been amputated! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

 

I want to know if we're going to get some of our old emojis back.  The partying one . . . the hugs one . . . we need a vomit one . . . . 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I want to know if we're going to get some of our old emojis back.  The partying one . . . the hugs one . . . we need a vomit one . . . . 

We used to have all of that LOL.  Are they gone?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I have two badges and it appears they are rare, lol. It looks like everyone has a hand on their avatar now, and everyone is a newbie! 

I started that thread awhile back where I was complaining about having a hand on my avatar, and now everyone does! 

Also, there doesn’t seem to be a post count by people’s avatars any longer. I need to get on my iPad to see what it looks like, lol.

Edit: I just earned the “collaborator” badge! 😬
Edit again: On the iPad I can see post counts, signatures, etc.

Edit again: All the avatars and hands mystery is making me wonder where @Spy Car is. Haven’t seen him around lately.

Right, I'm on here less and less but pop in every now and then and noticed I haven't seen Bill aka Spy Car on here for  a while.  I seached by both names and can not find recent activity from him.  Come back Bill!  🙂  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Edit again: All the avatars and hands mystery is making me wonder where @Spy Car is. Haven’t seen him around lately.

Thread drift, but I've been missing @Dreamergal too, and now I can't even find her user name to link. Hope she hasn't left.

My impression has always been that Bill was here somewhat erratically, but I may be wrong. Maybe he'll pop in to reassure us.

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I want to know if we're going to get some of our old emojis back.  The partying one . . . the hugs one . . . we need a vomit one . . . . 

Oh, and the “Willy-nilly” one! Wasn’t that what the one who ran around waving its arms was called? 
 

On a somewhat related note, does anyone remember the day the emojis went supersized, and we had giant emojis that took up half the screen?  Or the update where we knew there was going to be an outage of several days, and we were all wishing each other well and telling each other to hang in there until the board goes back up? Ahhhhh….such fond memories of board glitches and changes…*sniff, sniff*

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kalmia said:

Have to agree with Corraleno. Infantilizing. There are precious few places where one can come for intellectual discussion about homeschooling, academics, and other issues of importance. The WTM is one of them. To have Clapping Hands! and Badges! (Gee Whiz! What will they come up with next?) degrades the image that this is a serious forum. Post count was an adequate way to judge people's participation over time. One year badges for people who have been here 20 years is both erroneous and insulting. 

Plus the annoying clapping hands are blocking parts of people's avatars, for example, one of MercyA's avatar's legs has been amputated! 

Although I agree with your post in general, for me post count is not an accurate way to judge how long I’ve been here. I read way more than I post. I’ve been coming to the boards over 20 years. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

Oh, and the “Willy-nilly” one! Wasn’t that what the one who ran around waving its arms was called? 
 

On a somewhat related note, does anyone remember the day the emojis went supersized, and we had giant emojis that took up half the screen?  Or the update where we knew there was going to be an outage of several days, and we were all wishing each other well and telling each other to hang in there until the board goes back up? Ahhhhh….such fond memories of board glitches and changes…*sniff, sniff*

I had lots of fun with the giant emojis 🙂

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

Oh, and the “Willy-nilly” one! Wasn’t that what the one who ran around waving its arms was called?

Willy Nilly was in my signature as I panicked through high school.  As much as the badges are ridiculous, I appreciate this forum every day.  (Mostly) intelligent conversation and no blinking advertisements.  I have never found anything else like it.  Count me grateful.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brehon said:

Although I agree with your post in general, for me post count is not an accurate way to judge how long I’ve been here. I read way more than I post. I’ve been coming to the boards over 20 years. 

Also, those of us who had Comcast emails ran into trouble with the last upgrade. We ended up having to do a new account and merge in the old one, so I have a less than a year old account with a couple of thousand posts, but have been here since L was in K.  

 

The badges don't really bother me. I have a DH who is a software engineer. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Also, those of us who had Comcast emails ran into trouble with the last upgrade. We ended up having to do a new account and merge in the old one, so I have a less than a year old account with a couple of thousand posts, but have been here since L was in K.  

 

The badges don't really bother me. I have a DH who is a software engineer. 

Yep.  I’ve been here since 2009 ish but had to restart my account last year.

I can understand wanting to make the board more attractive to new people rather than catering to old-timers, though. While I think it’s fabulous that the WTM forums are a full discussion forum rather than just marketing and help for using WTM products, at some level the point is to sell books, so those of us who are either done homeschooling or have our paths and resources planned out aren’t the target market.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I could deal with a whole lot of hand clapping and ranking silliness as long as the forum stays up. This forum is so valuable to me.  So thank you again to the WTM folks for being so generous and hosting it!

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, agree!  WTM is a wonderful resource.  The Help Desk helped me time and again to figure out why I wasn't able to log in.  It's all good.  But, they don't really "need" to in order to keep interest.  I think the population count and topics presented here speak for a good site and an excellent resource.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Innisfree said:

Thread drift, but I've been missing @Dreamergal too, and now I can't even find her user name to link. Hope she hasn't left.

My impression has always been that Bill was here somewhat erratically, but I may be wrong. Maybe he'll pop in to reassure us.

 

 

 

Spy Car replies quite a bit, imo but I haven't seen him for a few weeks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

Still reflecting on the “good old days.” Guys, do you realize that we are coming up on the 10th anniversary of the Great Cupcake Kerfuffle? 😁

And, Chelle's "Forum Game"!!   Where is Chelle anyway?  And, Asta, where are you?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Also, those of us who had Comcast emails ran into trouble with the last upgrade. We ended up having to do a new account and merge in the old one, so I have a less than a year old account with a couple of thousand posts, but have been here since L was in K.  

Most of the accounts didn't have to be re-created...this was a special circumstance.  The problem in December was that Comcast and OTHER cable internet providers block "autosend" responses...so the password reset sent from the system to many of those with cable internet was eaten by the cable provider...so we had to manually reset.  Very few people had to redo a whole account...but alas, you were one of them.  😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I was just coming here to ask about this.  I got a One Year In badge in notifications and when I tried to click on it I was told I wasn't authorized.  😄

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (41).png

That's weird.  I know nothing about it.  I would track down the helpdesk and they will help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I was just coming here to ask about this.  I got a One Year In badge in notifications and when I tried to click on it I was told I wasn't authorized.  😄

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (41).png

 

That part of the software update has been turned off

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 7:03 PM, Kassia said:

I'm "Very Popular" according to my badge.  First time in my life!

Same! 😂

I got that badge yesterday and immediately became Sally Fields accepting her Oscar for Places in the Heart. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...