Menu

Britney Allowed to Hire Own Attorney!

Follow up to the Britney thread from a few weeks ago. There was a hearing today and the court is FINALLY allowing Britney to choose her own attorney. 

Also, it just came out that no court ever found that Britney was incompetent. 

So she's getting her own BIGLAW attorney which means the conservatorship should end soon. 

I guess the comforting thing here is that I don't have enough money to make it worthwhile to do this to me. 

I wonder how many other people are trapped in these conservatorships against their will? It's amazing that she could be in this conservatorship for 13 years despite the fact that no court ever found that she was incompetent. And because she was in the conservatorship, she could be prevented from having a baby, spending her own money, and locked away in a mental health facility against her will.

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

That’s great to hear! I didn’t read the other thread because I thought it would be too stressful. I find the situation abhorrent. Especially the forced birth control.

ETA.. my husband and I were conservators for his elderly aunt the last several years of her life. It was necessary due to her Alzheimer’s. It would have been easy to abuse the situation as we were allowed to receive payment in return for caring for her. I only reimbursed myself for transportation costs/gas money. But I know I could have taken more and the courts wouldn’t bat an eye. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Also, it just came out that no court ever found that Britney was incompetent

I hope she sues everyone involved and, while that money could help many good causes, I wouldn’t mind seeing her throw it in a bonfire.

• Like 3

Sort of an aside, but this WaPo article about guardianship/conservatorship was interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/britney-spears-jenny-hatch-guardianship/2021/07/14/72d3182a-e4aa-11eb-b722-89ea0dde7771_story.html

The gist is that the first person to win a victory against guardianship was a young woman with Downs Syndrome. She won it less than a decade ago, in 2013. 

• Like 2

It really got me that her father spent $2M of HER money for lawyers to keep himself as her conservator. . . . . 

He never should have even been appointed to the position.

eta: parents who push their children forwards into the entertainment industry, generally do so for money - not because they have the best interests of their children at heart.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I dropped it into the other thread but will  say again, if you want a real horror story of conservatorship abuse, check out Killers of the Flower Moon (Osage reign of terror). 

Yes, I read that book. Good recommendation. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I dropped it into the other thread but will  say again, if you want a real horror story of conservatorship abuse, check out Killers of the Flower Moon (Osage reign of terror). 

Truth.   As a member of the Osage nation and family stories connected to the Riegn of Terror, I couldn't agree more, however I will say Britney's situation is tragic.  She deserves autonomy.  There is no way she can consistently do live shows and yet be incompetent in managing her own day to day life.

• Like 7

The plot of the movie "I Care A Lot" (2020) with Rosemund Pike is a fictional account of something like this.
It's on Netflix.
I expected it to be Dark Comedy . . . but it's just Dark....

Thankful that we have a family attorney, and loving children.
Things can spin out of control very quickly.

• Like 3

Just.

what

the

hecken?!

I hope she spends every last dime she has suing every single person that participated in this travesty until they can’t even afford a bucket to pee in.  Something like this should not be possible in a modern democracy. And I’ll say it again. If they can get away with going this so flagrantly to her, we are all kidding ourselves that anything other than a lack of profit is keeping any of us safe from the same treatment.  And it’s just a matter of time until some sicko manages to figure a way to that profit.  Just. Wow.

9FA0A67F-C79D-4C92-B346-180E5B8E6A4E.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Truth.   As a member of the Osage nation and family stories connected to the Riegn of Terror, I couldn't agree more, however I will say Britney's situation is tragic.  She deserves autonomy.  There is no way she can consistently do live shows and yet be incompetent in managing her own day to day life.

She's never been declared legally incompetent.

A lot of people have to be on board for this to happen, even if they don't get a judge to back them up.

My mother gave me medical power of attorney over her (it had to be filled out. every.. single. time. she went into the hospital), and dh had control of her finances (mom's choice.) - but we fought my brother constantly as he tried to manipulate her into giving him control of. her. money.  (he even tried to get her to sell her condo, and give him the money so he could buy a bigger/snazzier house with a "mother-in-law" suite).  He was so brazen - he engaged in manipulation in front of an ER dr.  (he'd gotten a young (and stupid) nurse to "help" him.)   The night it came to a head, I was left completely confused as to what was going on as my phone kept ringing, but the dr eventually called me (it was after midnight) to say my brother had removed her from the rehab place she'd been at and brought her to the ER.  They'd looked at her file from previous visits and were going by that: she wanted me in charge.  He'd spoken with the hospital's lawyers, and had security standing by to throw my brother off hospital property -and what did I want him to do?  I really didn't know the extent of what had been going on (I found out later) - or I most certainly would have had him tossed out on his kiester.  (preferably in a deep puddle, in the rain).  I knew he was attempting to manipulate her - but there needs to be better information for what agencies to contact about elder abuse.

and after she died - we were getting threatening letters from him.  He even got some idiot from military legal aid to send us a threatening letter - all demanding money.  (and equal portion of her estate - wasn't enough for him.)

eta: her father is a very toxic narcissist.  He's getting his supply controlling her - and he is profiting off her money.  I agree with her, he probably should be charged with conservator abuse.  And every one that helped him to get this control.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

This is something so misogynistic here. Look at this. The custody agreement required that the children's bedrooms be monitored. 

That just breaks my heart. All those years that should have been full of cherished memories of just being a mom all tainted forever by this court sanctioned abuse. All those years of not even being able to read a kid a bedtime story and share a bedtime prayer. Those poor kids too. If the kids were so unsafe that the court/conservator literally felt it wasn’t safe to even let her talk to them alone - then why the hell did they leave the kids alone there at all?! Because it wasn’t even slightly about keeping any of them safe. It was about manipulation and control.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I presented on that book for a book club I am in.  Excellent book.

• Like 1