Menu

Learning Irish

My ds will be a junior next year and is interested in taking Irish.  Does anyone has any suggestions or reviews of resources?  I know Rosetta Stone and Duolingo both offer Irish, but I don’t know what to add to make those into a full course. He currently wants to take Irish because he has an interest in traditional Celtic music

My DD did Rosetta Stone for three years.  She also found a pen pal in Ireland, a distant relative.  Rosetta Stone has suggestions for supplemental activities, like watching movies in the foreign language, but that was hard to find much of.  I also bought her the first Harry Potter book in Irish.

• Like 2

I would actually recommend finding a YouTube channel with someone speaking in Irish.  I have seen a young woman that has this but can't remember her name.  I have found that the best way to learn a language is to be immersed in whatever way possible. Duolingo is wonderful, but I think that its limitation is its focus on translation.  Babies learn language with immersion and, in my experience, that has worked extremely well!  So, a friend on the phone, pen-pals, YouTube where they are almost only speaking Irish, etc.

Thanks for the ideas.  I am concerned about the immersive/ speaking aspect.  I know no one who speaks irish, and of course, if his interests lie in Celtic music, I’m afraid he will bore quickly with Duolingo translation exercises.

3 hours ago, Toska said:

Thanks for the ideas.  I am concerned about the immersive/ speaking aspect.  I know no one who speaks irish, and of course, if his interests lie in Celtic music, I’m afraid he will bore quickly with Duolingo translation exercises.

Kind of a crazy idea but you could always try to contact someone that has a YouTube channel that speaks Irish and ask if they could do speaking/immersion classes on Zoom or something. In general, though, as you said, I would focus on listening and hearing a new language versus translation.

My DS attended a charter school that used Rosetta Stone for high school foreign language credit. While I don’t think that is the ideal way to learn a language, it does allow students to start to learn a language that can’t be taught in person due for a variety of reasons. My DS was able to take a semester of Japanese that way. At some point ha also took a semester or 2 of Spanish.

I will say that the style of instruction in Rosetta Stone drove me crazy, but it was great for my DS. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Toska I saw this class/program mentioned and had to share it with you!  (I'm copying and pasting so the font might have gotten a little mixed up.)

SCOIL CHUMANN CARAD NA GAEILGE

THE PHILO-CELTIC SOCIETY SCHOOL

FREE IRISH LANGUAGE CLASSES.  THIS IS OUR ON-LINE SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY.

Ár gcuspóir:  chun úsáid na Gaeilge a spreagadh agus a chothú ar fud an domhain.

Our goal:  to encourage and advance the use of Irish throughout the world.

This term: July through August, 2021 (Summer Term)

Oibrímid d'athbheochan domhanda na Gaeilge.  Foghlaim faoinár gCumann ar ár bpríomh-shuíomh ag http://www.philo-celtic.com  !

We work for the worldwide renaissance of the Irish language. Learn about our Society on our website at http://www.philo-celtic.com   !

Bí cinnte go leanann tú ar aghaidh insan mbuíon seo chun fógraí agus nascanna a fháil ar ár ranganna gach téarma, ar ár ngníomhaíochtaí, agus ar Ghluaiseacht na Gaeilge.  /  Be sure to stay a member of this group to receive notices and links about our classes each term, our activities, and about the Irish Language Movement.

Once enrolled in our School, you'll receive an email which will give you the links you need to sign up for our free classes. Enroll by clicking on "Join This Group" on this page and following the related instructions. Then you'll get an email with links for free registration in this term's classes and workshops, which are as follows:

BEGINNING LEVEL

Fast-Paced Review of Gaeilge Gan Stró, Beginner's Level.  For beginning and intermediate students.  Every Wednesday beginning July 7.  7:30pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Gréag Ó Núáin. 

How to Write Anything You Want in Irish Using the Tools of the Language.  For beginning and intermediate students plus advanced students who haven't had formal training in the use of the best dictionaries, the best verb books, declensions (groups) of nouns, declensions of adjectives, etc.  Two sessions:

Every Wednesday beginning July 7.  8:00pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Gearóid Ó Ceallaigh. 
Every Sunday beginning July 11.  2:00PM New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Gearóid Ó Ceallaigh. 

INTERMEDIATE LEVEL

Progress In Irish 36-45.  Gach Domhnach / Every Sunday beginning Sunday, July 4.  10am New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Éamonn de Bhál.  This is a continuation of PII 16-30. 

Ag Léamh ‘AN TOBAR / Reading AN TOBAR.  Leabhar gearr don fhoghlaimeoir fásta / A short book for the adult learner.  Do mheánscoláirí / For intermediate students.  Gach Céadaoin / Every Wednesday starting July 7.  8:00pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Séamas Ó Neachtain. 

ADVANCED AND INTERMEDIATE LEVEL

Rang comhrá / conversation class.  Do ard- agus mheán-dhaltaí / For advanced and intermediate students.  Gach Céadaoin ag tosú 7 Iúil / Every Wednesday beginning July 7.  7 i.n. am Nua-Eabhraic / 7:00pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Lugh de Paor.   

Léamh insan iris AN GAEL / Reading in the magazine AN GAEL.  Do ard- agus mheán-dhaltaí / For advanced and intermediate students.  Gach Céadaoin ag tosú 7 Iúil / Every Wednesday beginning July 7.  9 i.n. am Nua-Eabhraic / 9:00pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Séamas. 

Once you've joined your chosen class, you'll receive lessons during the term by email or by zoom or by a combination from your teacher about once a week.  You can also use the tabs at left to start reading Messages (i.e., lessons and class discussion) since the beginning of this term.  

To find out whether you're enrolled in a particular class, click on "Your Groups" at the top of this page.

If you'd like to volunteer to teach, tell us!

We're devoted to the revival of the Irish Language around the world and in Ireland. If you'd like to join The Philo-Celtic Society, go to

http://www.philo-celtihttp://philo-celtic.com/ballraiocht-membership.htmlc.com/membership.html !

LE GACH DEA-GHUÍ,

Séamas Ó Neachtain / Jim Norton
Cathaoirleach / Chair

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 1:22 PM, Mrskitty76 said:

@Toska I saw this class/program mentioned and had to share it with you!  (I'm copying and pasting so the font might have gotten a little mixed up.)

SCOIL CHUMANN CARAD NA GAEILGE

THE PHILO-CELTIC SOCIETY SCHOOL

FREE IRISH LANGUAGE CLASSES.  THIS IS OUR ON-LINE SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY.

Ár gcuspóir:  chun úsáid na Gaeilge a spreagadh agus a chothú ar fud an domhain.

Our goal:  to encourage and advance the use of Irish throughout the world.

This term: July through August, 2021 (Summer Term)

Oibrímid d'athbheochan domhanda na Gaeilge.  Foghlaim faoinár gCumann ar ár bpríomh-shuíomh ag http://www.philo-celtic.com  !

We work for the worldwide renaissance of the Irish language. Learn about our Society on our website at http://www.philo-celtic.com   !

Bí cinnte go leanann tú ar aghaidh insan mbuíon seo chun fógraí agus nascanna a fháil ar ár ranganna gach téarma, ar ár ngníomhaíochtaí, agus ar Ghluaiseacht na Gaeilge.  /  Be sure to stay a member of this group to receive notices and links about our classes each term, our activities, and about the Irish Language Movement.

Once enrolled in our School, you'll receive an email which will give you the links you need to sign up for our free classes. Enroll by clicking on "Join This Group" on this page and following the related instructions. Then you'll get an email with links for free registration in this term's classes and workshops, which are as follows:

BEGINNING LEVEL

Fast-Paced Review of Gaeilge Gan Stró, Beginner's Level.  For beginning and intermediate students.  Every Wednesday beginning July 7.  7:30pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Gréag Ó Núáin. 

How to Write Anything You Want in Irish Using the Tools of the Language.  For beginning and intermediate students plus advanced students who haven't had formal training in the use of the best dictionaries, the best verb books, declensions (groups) of nouns, declensions of adjectives, etc.  Two sessions:

Every Wednesday beginning July 7.  8:00pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Gearóid Ó Ceallaigh. 
Every Sunday beginning July 11.  2:00PM New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Gearóid Ó Ceallaigh. 

INTERMEDIATE LEVEL

Progress In Irish 36-45.  Gach Domhnach / Every Sunday beginning Sunday, July 4.  10am New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Éamonn de Bhál.  This is a continuation of PII 16-30. 

Ag Léamh ‘AN TOBAR / Reading AN TOBAR.  Leabhar gearr don fhoghlaimeoir fásta / A short book for the adult learner.  Do mheánscoláirí / For intermediate students.  Gach Céadaoin / Every Wednesday starting July 7.  8:00pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Séamas Ó Neachtain. 

ADVANCED AND INTERMEDIATE LEVEL

Rang comhrá / conversation class.  Do ard- agus mheán-dhaltaí / For advanced and intermediate students.  Gach Céadaoin ag tosú 7 Iúil / Every Wednesday beginning July 7.  7 i.n. am Nua-Eabhraic / 7:00pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Lugh de Paor.   

Léamh insan iris AN GAEL / Reading in the magazine AN GAEL.  Do ard- agus mheán-dhaltaí / For advanced and intermediate students.  Gach Céadaoin ag tosú 7 Iúil / Every Wednesday beginning July 7.  9 i.n. am Nua-Eabhraic / 9:00pm New York Time.  Múinteoir / Teacher:  Séamas. 

Once you've joined your chosen class, you'll receive lessons during the term by email or by zoom or by a combination from your teacher about once a week.  You can also use the tabs at left to start reading Messages (i.e., lessons and class discussion) since the beginning of this term.  

To find out whether you're enrolled in a particular class, click on "Your Groups" at the top of this page.

If you'd like to volunteer to teach, tell us!

We're devoted to the revival of the Irish Language around the world and in Ireland. If you'd like to join The Philo-Celtic Society, go to

http://www.philo-celtihttp://philo-celtic.com/ballraiocht-membership.htmlc.com/membership.html !

LE GACH DEA-GHUÍ,

Séamas Ó Neachtain / Jim Norton
Cathaoirleach / Chair

Not the OP but Thank You!!!

• Like 1