Menu

Update: Forum Software Update, July 14

The forum software is getting updated to include a few new features, and to address requests and concerns about the existing software.  It is not a major upgrade, but an update to improve the member experience. 

I'll provide more information in this post as I have it.  

We anticipate and hope for a completely smooth transition, and are at the ready to help out if something goes sideways.  Please ask your questions about this upgrade in this thread so that everyone can see what has been asked and responded to.  

Thank you!

UPDATES

July 16: The software update continues; it is about halfway through the process and continues in the background, so the forums can stay open. The "Achievements" have been disabled. On the advice of tech support, I'm going to "let the dust settle" until the update is complete and will address specific issues until then, probably July 19.

Edited by Helpdesk
Update

I hope so.  I don't know for sure but I know it was something the developer took seriously, and said that they were working on getting it into the update.  Having worked in the software industry in my past, I know that sometimes even with the best intentions and the highest priority...changes get dropped, so I won't promise that this change is in there.  If I get word that it is, I will put that info in the top post in this thread.

My civilian response:  I hope so!

20 minutes ago, Helpdesk said:

The upgrade is taking place right this minute, Pawz, and it takes several hours for everything to settle.  Give it a little time.  

Thanks! I didn't realize the update was in progress while the forum was usable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Helpdesk said:

The upgrade is taking place right this minute, Pawz, and it takes several hours for everything to settle.  Give it a little time.  

So once the update is done we'll get our old 'ranks' back?  I am tickled that it just gave me a pat on the back for 'reacting well', and I seem to have badges for 'just joined' and have been awarded badges for having been a member for one week, one month, one year, all in the past two hours!  😂  I'm awaiting my 10+ year badge, it must be coming soon...  must calculate the time compression variable...

• Haha 5

So who decides we need new "features" like these cutesy badges? Does that come from the WTM crew or does the IT person just arbitrarily decide to add stuff that he/she thinks is cute even though no one asked for it? Being constantly "rewarded" with little pats on the head, just for having an adult conversation with other classical educators, is really patronizing, and the fact that we'll now be "ranked" in categories like "Rising Star" and "Grand Master" is truly obnoxious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

So who decides we need new "features" like these cutesy badges? Does that come from the WTM crew or does the IT person just arbitrarily decide to add stuff that he/she thinks is cute even though no one asked for it? Being constantly "rewarded" with little pats on the head, just for having an adult conversation with other classical educators, is really patronizing, and the fact that we'll now be "ranked" in categories like "Rising Star" and "Grand Master" is truly obnoxious. 

I'm sorry you are displeased.

Please note that the update is still running.  It takes HOURS.  Then we will see what we have, and we can take it from there.  We have our own rankings (Bee-related) and I presume those are part of the things that are restored when they get to the "restore individual customer preferences" section of the update.  If not, we can take it from now.

For now, please just sit on your hands for a day or so and let this work itself through.  K?

• Helpdesk changed the title to Update: Forum Software Update, July 14
13 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Thank you for all you are doing.

All of you are welcome. 

I learn something new every time we do an update.  Some of the things are technical, like WHO KNEW that an update could be done in the background, and that it could take not only hours, but days?  Who knew how great the tech support people are who help me out? (They are really great!)  Some of what I learn is about people, including myself: the many different responses to change; the need for (or no need for) information; the variety of reactions to interaction with technology; the variety of interactions among people USING technology.  

We'll let the dust settle this weekend and then when the update is done, I can finish the tweaks.  🙂

On 7/15/2021 at 5:10 PM, cintinative said:

Thanks for all you do @Helpdesk  I so appreciate this forum. 

Yes, I'll add my thanks and really appreciate all the hard work.  I got a hoot out of the badges for the short time they lasted.  

• Haha 1