Menu

Cookbook recommendation

Nam2001

I am looking for recommendations for a new cookbook or two. I really enjoy 100 days of real food. I’m looking for something similar to that. No processed foods, no sugar, etc…. But also not super restrictive. I like gluten, dairy, and natural sweeteners. 😂

Any suggestions? 

Most of my faves are out of print.

The Betty Crocker International Cookbook is great—lots of variety, pretty authentic results but generally fairly available ingredients.  

Junior League cook books from Palo Alto, CA or Minneapolis, MN are fantastic.

Savory Baking applies baking techniques to non-sweet foods, and is a fave.

The Country Innkeeper’s Cookbook is great, and the recipes are well tested and WORK.  The French Silk Pie is to die for.

• Like 1

I have loved everything by Madhur Jaffrey. She focuses on Indian food but everything I have ever cooked by her is so delicious. We incorporate lots of her vegetable side dishes with other meals, such as grilled chicken. Plus the books are fun to read. She is just a treasure in general. 

20 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Those are two of the mainstays in my kitchen too. ❤️ The Fried Rice recipe from Extending the Table is a regular here and I've modified it to use pantry staples, so it is often the last meal before grocery shopping. 

I put a moratorium on buying cookbooks many years ago. Now I indulge that desire by checking them out of the library and copying out recipes that appeal and that I realistically think I will make. That is a cheap way to pick through almost every cookbook ever mentioned on here! If I'm not interested enough to handle it photocopy the recipe, I'm probably not going to get around to making it either. 😀

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

J-rap, when you have a link like that and you want to make it shorter, you can strip out ?tag and everything thereafter.

You can also strip out anything that says ?utm and anything after that from the URL.

It worked!  Thanks!

I just bought America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook. The America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Become a Great Cook: America's Test Kitchen: 8601420278172: Amazon.com: Books I'm super satisfied with it. It's not just a book with a lot of recipes, although it does include a lot of recipes. It teaches you the why of recipes and general chef knowledge, so you can be on your way to just making up your own delicious concoctions - also how to do your own substitutions. 

I also enjoy Chef John on You Tube. He has taught me some great techniques.

Both of these generally teach you to make food from scratch (there are healthy and indulgent recipes), occasionally they may give you an easy way out say by using puff pastry or filo dough instead of making your own dough or store bought stock instead of making your own.

• Like 2

Not a book, but I used to have a subscription to Clean Eating magazine. I still have them all stored in my pantry. I love that magazine. I really should renew!

I’m a huge fan of vintage cookbooks. Like old church cookbooks. Some of my favorite recipes are from these old books. And of course they each have their fair share of crazy, yucky, weird recipes, but it’s part of the fun. 😉

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1