Menu

Favorite baby book

whitestavern

Blue Hat, Green Hat.  It was not one of my favorites and I would probably be a better person without having that seared into my brain, but my kid LOVED it to the point where we wore out a copy. 

In case you are wondering, the other books still memorized 10 years later are:
Where The Wild Things Are (with the addition of "and they danced. And they played. And they had a parade" on the un-narrated pages)
Goodnight Moon
Mangia! Mangia!
Bebe Coniglio - which in addition to being all in rhyme, had the bonus of being all in Italian as well so it's not like he understood much.  But we had to read it.

• Like 1

Absolute favorites: The Big Red Barn, Goodnight Moon, and Mem Fox's Time for Bed. But, gosh, there were so many we loved. Owl Babies (Martin Waddell), and The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and Peek-a-boo (Janet and Allan Ahlberg) were up there on the list.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, whitestavern said:

If you could only pick ONE book for a new baby, what would it be? Doesn't necessarily have to be a baby/board book, but ideally something they can read to baby. I will probably get about 5, but you can only give one answer 🙂 Go!

Babies by 

Gyo Fujikawa

Assuming you'll buy them new books by the time they are about 9 months old 🙂

(They need Sandra Boynton by the time they are 9 months old. Moo Baa La La LA, Doggies, Pajama Time, Hippos Go Beserk, and Snuggle Puppy were all favorites here.)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Babies by 

Gyo Fujikawa

Assuming you'll buy them new books by the time they are about 9 months old 🙂

(They need Sandra Boynton by the time they are 9 months old. Moo Baa La La LA, Doggies, Pajama Time, Hippos Go Beserk, and Snuggle Puppy were all favorites here.)

Yes…Snuggle Puppy!!! I completely forgot about that book until reading about it here. That was a fave at my house (too many) years ago. Also Sandra Boynton’s  Belly Button Book.

(This thread is making me want to dig up my old board books that I’ve saved for “some day” and read them again. Memories!!!)

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 11:16 PM, Junie said:

Brown Bear, Brown Bear would be on my short list.

With my grandchildren moving nearby, I've been collecting books (from thrift stores) to have on hand at my house whenever they are over for a visit. Finding Brown Bear, Brown Bear was a top priority since it was their dad's favorite book of all time. I have lots of good memories of us reading that together.

• Like 3