Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

Just now, Matryoshka said:

I get it. They kind of thing has happened here too. Like here, why have we gone full steam ahead on in-person elementary schools when we were so close to a vax for that age? 

Yep, you guys have definitely had your fair share.  We’ve been in a good situation for so long and it’s pretty disappointing to put it mildly to see that thrown to the wind so to speak.  Although in many ways our reopening is still very cautious compared to much of the world at the moment.

• Sad 2

Still locked down here, relatively. I will feel better once kid is vaccinated, I think. Our county is still red.

Our neighbor-friend just got out of the hospital for the second time. This time for a clot in his lungs that developed maybe a week after coming home from the first hospital stay. He will be on oxygen at home for at least six weeks, blood thinners for four months. Disability for a while, obviously. Lucky to be home.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3
  • Sad 13

12 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

It's amazing what we get used to.  This is the standard that's been gone by on one site (Brown U. School of Public Health) since the start of the pandemic.  On another Covid thread, the Australians are distressed because their numbers are approaching that level, which is Red.  It's been so bad here that those numbers seem 'good' to us, but not really so much...

image.thumb.png.f8f95b46d3cee25bd7fc8c093997f790.png

ETA: Personally at that level, I'd be okay going food shopping in a good mask, and eating outdoors, because that's where we've been for the past few months (we're back below that now) and that's what I've been doing.  I wouldn't go shopping to browse or eat in an indoor restaurant.   

The UK is sitting at an average daily figure of 50 per 100,000, per the Brown data (the Scottish government uses a different formula that gives a weekly value of 350).

12 hours ago, Spryte said:

Our neighbor-friend just got out of the hospital for the second time. This time for a clot in his lungs that developed maybe a week after coming home from the first hospital stay. He will be on oxygen at home for at least six weeks, blood thinners for four months. Disability for a while, obviously. Lucky to be home.

I am glad they could pinpoint an issue that is treatable. I keep hearing about people dying suddenly after all seems well (mostly old but some young), and I don't get the impression that they always have a reason. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I am glad they could pinpoint an issue that is treatable. I keep hearing about people dying suddenly after all seems well (mostly old but some young), and I don't get the impression that they always have a reason. 

Yes, it’s fortunate he went to the ER again. They thought he’d developed a bacterial infection, then caught the clot unexpectedly. I’m so glad they did!

Our neighbors both had close calls. I’m glad they made it, there were some iffy times for each. They are in their late 30s and early 40s, so not old (in my book!).

For me, it’s strengthened my (weakening) resolve to stay relatively locked down until our ten year old gets her vaccine. Counting down the weeks.

• Like 8

We are during here. There are outbreaks in every single school district in my county. So we have hunkered down, though we spend a lot of time outside when it isn't raining cats and dogs. We did go to see our son get honored on campus, but the engineering department held that outside and everyone had to wear a mask too. The campus is 83% faculty and staff vaxed, and 77% students, so with the masks and outdoors we were very comfortable. We will get third doses/boosters as soon as we can.

We also managed to go sailing one more time, and that was wonderful.

We are leaving Sunday for two weeks with our grandsons. We will be pretty locked down there, but also have identified safe, outdoor things to do with the kids. It is still warm enough to take them swimming there, and will go when it isn't peak time. The Halloween party is three families in dd's homeschool pod of fully vaxed grown ups and teens, extremely covid cautious people. It is outdoors too, and masks for using the half bath which will have the window open and a fan going.

The only thing we are going to resume, after boosters/third doses, is concerts at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra because they are requiring proof of vaccination and masks in order to attend. The mothers need a cultural outing, they are getting pretty down about all they have given up for 20 months, and so we will do a concert in November, one in January, and one in March. Also three weeks after everyone's third dose, we have picked a restaurant to go to a non-peak hours for a dine in experience with them. Winter will soon be upon us so dining outside won't be possible.

• Like 1