Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

16 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m confused, and the article didn’t clear it up. How does one just “pause“ deliveries of babies? It’s not like the babies are going to get the memo and just wait. Obviously, babies can be born at home and will come wherever the mom happens to be, but I presume they must have some kind of other plan than just telling the moms not to come in.

I assume they go elsewhere? 

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I caught a quick second if this on TV today and I think they said they were not letting in maternity patients because they didn't have the staff. 

Wow. What is a woman in labor supposed to do then? The ER would have to take her, wouldn’t it? Ugh, what an awful situation. I would stay home to birth rather than give birth in an ER full of Covid patients, if at all possible 😢

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

So, not to derail the thread, but because I don't want to create a new one and want this to get buried.  Asking for prayer.

My husband said the efficacy of masks has not been proven. I said it has, and provided many links to studies. He called this forum my echo chamber.  

So, (sarcasm) welcome to my echo chamber y'all. We have some lovely epidemiologists, doctors, hospitalists, public health experts and scientists among our ranks. 

I need to find a way to navigate the rest of the pandemic without talking to my husband about it. Not looking for advice, just prayers. 

• Sad 34

Just now, cintinative said:

So, not to derail the thread, but because I don't want to create a new one and want this to get buried.  Asking for prayer.

My husband said the efficacy of masks has not been proven. I said it has, and provided many links to studies. He called this forum my echo chamber.  

So, (sarcasm) welcome to my echo chamber y'all. We have some lovely epidemiologists, doctors, hospitalists, public health experts and scientists among our ranks. 

I need to find a way to navigate the rest of the pandemic without talking to my husband about it. Not looking for advice, just prayers. 

oh I'm so sorry. Praying for peace in your home, and wisdom for your husband. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Oh, wow! I am so sorry. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I presume they will send them elsewhere. Hopefully it's not too long of a drive.  

Yes, they have to go elsewhere. But this is a rural hospital in a very rural area- the next hospital is a ways away.  (I know a few people who live there)

• Sad 6

5 hours ago, cintinative said:

I have no advice to give.  Just sending you some hugs.  That has to be so stressful to deal with.  I am glad you can vent here some.  I hope it helps to get it out sometimes.  

• Like 4

Ugh My area.  We have a statewide mask mandate but people/events don't care.  Huge rodeo this weekend that advertised their covid precautions was all lies.  It was 100% capacity and the staff at the doors handed out masks but said you could take it off as soon as you were inside.  People were posting about it all over social media.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

oh I'm so sorry. Praying for peace in your home, and wisdom for your husband. 

Exactly this. May G-d give you the right words and actions to bring your husband into the echo chamber. And if not to give you peace in the home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cintinative said:

Well our school is fully masked and yet we now know enough kids who got infected from the classroom contact (sitting next to an infected kid). And kids we know were vaccinated. So draw your conclusions. My DS has come into contact with lots (10+) of kids who ended up with Covid including his lab partner he eats lunch without the mask. He seems to be OK. He is vaccinated. 
I personally wouldn’t go into a room full of Covid patients with a surgical mask or a cloth mask, because like your husband, I don’t think they will help me much. N95s are a different story. 
good luck to you guys now with stone throwing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I personally wouldn’t go into a room full of Covid patients with a surgical mask or a cloth mask, because like your husband, I don’t think they will help me much. N95s are a different story. 

Even so, they are designed so that those wearing it prevent spreading it. You would need the covid patients to be wearing masks, as well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Yes, they have to go elsewhere. But this is a rural hospital in a very rural area- the next hospital is a ways away.  (I know a few people who live there)

Where I used to live, years ago they closed every maternity ward in the county except for one in the far north.  It's not that unusual apparently.  People who are pregnant just have to make a plan to drive farther ... usually an hour or more.  It sucks.

I hope they gave expectant mothers enough time to make a new plan.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Well our school is fully masked and yet we now know enough kids who got infected from the classroom contact (sitting next to an infected kid). And kids we know were vaccinated. So draw your conclusions. My DS has come into contact with lots (10+) of kids who ended up with Covid including his lab partner he eats lunch without the mask. He seems to be OK. He is vaccinated. 

If they are eating lunch without masks, it doesn't sound like the situation is saying much at all about the efficacy of masks.    And that's not counting if there are sports or other extra curriculars happening, or gatherings outside of school.  

I'm curious how they would be positive the infection contact definitely happened in school. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

What's with that?  We've had HCWs here attest to low rates with the surgical masks, but no one cares if someone wears heavier masks.  The point is that masking is one way to mitigate risk in a pandemic. 

Personally, I don't really care if people think that masks don't work well, as long as they obey mask mandates.  But I am blessed to live in a state that has one.  But as another poster in my state has posted repeatedly, not all areas here abide by the mandate.  And they don't have as good vaccination rates as my area.  And their numbers unfortunately reflect that. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Where I used to live, years ago they closed every maternity ward in the county except for one in the far north.  It's not that unusual apparently.  People who are pregnant just have to make a plan to drive farther ... usually an hour or more.  It sucks.

An hour or more will mean more ambulance call outs and car deliveries 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Well our school is fully masked and yet we now know enough kids who got infected from the classroom contact (sitting next to an infected kid). And kids we know were vaccinated. So draw your conclusions.

I mean, you can't actually conclude anything from that other than the fact that masks aren't perfect (which we do know.) But to think about whether they are efficacious, you'd have to compare to a situation without masks. 

I've been very heartened to watch the SFUSD COVID numbers. No outbreaks so far, amazingly. It's clear that precautions DO help. May they help as much over here, where it gets cold... 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I've been very heartened to watch the SFUSD COVID numbers. No outbreaks so far, amazingly. It's clear that precautions DO help. May they help as much over here, where it gets cold... 

https://www.sfusd.edu/covid-19-response-updates-and-resources/health-and-safety-guidelines/when-someone-gets-sick/covid-19-testing-dashboard

“This dashboard reflects COVID-19 positive cases that have been reported since August 16, 2021, the start of the new school year. 

Reported COVID-19 Cases
REPORTING METHOD

TOTAL CASES SINCE 8.16.21*

COUNT
Staff Self Reported          34 ~9.8k staff
Student Self Reported         188 ~53k students
COLOR Testing Reported          16 *see below
*Total Reported         238 ~62.8k students and staff

… Last updated: September 11, 2021 @ 21:30

*Case numbers are cumulative since August 16, 2021.“

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.sfusd.edu/covid-19-response-updates-and-resources/health-and-safety-guidelines/when-someone-gets-sick/covid-19-testing-dashboard

“This dashboard reflects COVID-19 positive cases that have been reported since August 16, 2021, the start of the new school year. 

Reported COVID-19 Cases
REPORTING METHOD

TOTAL CASES SINCE 8.16.21*

COUNT
Staff Self Reported          34 ~9.8k staff
Student Self Reported         188 ~53k students
COLOR Testing Reported          16 *see below
*Total Reported         238 ~62.8k students and staff

… Last updated: September 11, 2021 @ 21:30

*Case numbers are cumulative since August 16, 2021.“

Yes, there are obviously some cases, but it sounds like spread has been VERY limited. 

20 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yes, there are obviously some cases, but it sounds like spread has been VERY limited. 

I wasn’t sure how you define outbreak. My district is further south of SF and they have been backfilling weekly numbers as they get the information. 

SF hospitalization data is looking good in terms of available ICU beds.

https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19HospitalsDashboard/Hospitals?:embed=y&:showVizHome=no

ETA: the bulk of reported cases in SFUSD is from K-5 schools.

Edited by Arcadia

10 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Ugh My area.  We have a statewide mask mandate but people/events don't care.  Huge rodeo this weekend that advertised their covid precautions was all lies.  It was 100% capacity and the staff at the doors handed out masks but said you could take it off as soon as you were inside.  People were posting about it all over social media.

This is why I go almost nowhere. Not even when friends say their get together will be outside, because that’s wound up untrue, too.

There was to be an oldies music group playing at our clubhouse this weekend. Our clubhouse is taking no precautions. Event just got canceled for half the group getting Covid. Somehow, nobody thinks, “Gee, what if it had been a week earlier and got spread right here? Maybe we should be more careful.” 😒 

We’re planning to attend an outdoor event, and I’m nervous. It’s genuinely outdoors, with no buildings, just empty acres and a camper with a bathroom (woods for boys) and a small group of people we love. Still, trust issues have just about become my entire personality!

All that said, my Dominos delivery guy wore a mask to hand me my pizza outside the other night (as did I), and now I’m afraid we’re going to have a lot of Dominos even though I think it’s trash. I’m just THAT grateful for their basic decency.

• Like 16

8 hours ago, SKL said:

I’ve never been in that specific situation, but I did have providers who were being dropped from privileges at my preferred hospital right around my due date with #5.  
That hospital was already about an hour away, depending on traffic, and it was winter.  My providers’ plan was “Well, if you’re late, drive another 30-40 minutes to our new hospital.”  With a 5th baby? Potentially in snow?  
I fought for an induction, and still only got it on the last day possible.

At least I had a potential back up plan of going to a crappier but closer hospital. (Where I’d have strangers instead of established providers, but still.)

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Sad 10

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Still, trust issues have just about become my entire personality!

All that said, my Dominos delivery guy wore a mask to hand me my pizza outside the other night (as did I), and now I’m afraid we’re going to have a lot of Dominos even though I think it’s trash. I’m just THAT grateful for their basic decency.

Again, this sticker fits https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/I-m-Vaccinated-but-still-wearing-my-mask-cause-i-got-trust-issues-and-y-all-nasty-by-3bderhmane/83469756.EJUG5

And I know what you mean. A guy bought some stuff from me off of Facebook Marketplace and as he walked up he saw I had on a mask and threw his on well before getting close to me, without me asking. For that, I gave him $5 off and sold him more stuff he hadn't asked about at a discount as well. 

• Like 19

13 hours ago, rebcoola said:

This is the main reason we never returned to co-op after Covid started. Unmasked (we had a mandate at the time), building limit set to 10 people by the church we met in (there were way more than 10 people in the single line I was in at the time) in order to pick up end of 2020 school year stuff. I was appalled, still am, that it is the Christian co-op for the area - blatantly lying about their precautions. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

We are choosing to do things in a different county that is an hour away (at least each way) because they have a mask mandate and for the most part everyone there follows it.  I feel way more comfortable going into a store there then I do in my own county.   I went to Walmart in my county and other than the staff there were maybe 4 people in masks in the really busy store.  Went to Walmart in the county with a mask mandate, and there was 1 person (other than kids under 2) without a mask.  He had a profane shirt on that was talking about non masking.   They even have it outdoors at schools.  So the Nature school we went to have it for indoor and outdoors.   Our schools don't even have it at all.   This county is the first in the state to get to 70% of the residents in the state vaccinated.  

• Like 6

Drastic shift for pandemic preparedness: But something is missing - by Katelyn Jetelina - Your Local Epidemiologist (substack.com)

Diseases are jumping from animals-to-humans. With climate change, people are moving into areas that have never been inhabited before; animals, like mosquitos, are also shifting. An example is unfolding in real time. An outbreak of Nipah virus has caused hundreds to quarantine after a 12-year old died of the disease on Sept 5, 2021 in India. Nipah virus jumps from animals-to-humans, such as bats or pigs, and then is easily transmitted human-to-human. Nipah virus has a 45-75% mortality rate.

Humans easily spread the virus. Due to globalization, humans are able to travel more than ever, so viruses will be introduced in places that they’ve never been. We just saw this on July 15, 2021 when a case of Monkeypox from Nigeria landed in Dallas. But thanks to mask mandates on the plane and airports, a potentially severe outbreak was 100% prevented.

There’s no question that we will have another pandemic in coming years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

14 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Well here's my stone. My kids come home from school and regularly report how such and such a teacher had to keep being reminded to put their mask on. (Our state is under a mask mandate).

Even in the elementary school where of course, most kids are unvaccinated. And you might be surprised to learn that kids aren't the best at keeping them on either.

The problem isn't masks, it's that's people aren't wearing them correctly if at all. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

The problem isn't masks, it's that's people aren't wearing them correctly if at all. 

This.

Our college did amazingly well with the mask mandate over the past year; we had far fewer cases per capita than the local community, and none originated from classes or labs where the mask mandate was enforced.
We have started this semester with a mask mandate, and the worst week had 10 infected students, while the county that has 4x the population of our campus had 200. We since have weekly 1-4 cases among 10,000 students. 

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, regentrude said:

This.

Our college did amazingly well with the mask mandate over the past year; we had far fewer cases per capita than the local community, and none originated from classes or labs where the mask mandate was enforced.
We have started this semester with a mask mandate, and the worst week had 10 infected students, while the county that has 4x the population of our campus had 200. We since have weekly 1-4 cases among 10,000 students. 

I live near a small liberal arts college and I'm always so impressed when I drive by and see students wearing masks outside, off campus. May be a different story at parties but it sure seems like they take it seriously!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

This is the main reason we never returned to co-op after Covid started. Unmasked (we had a mandate at the time), building limit set to 10 people by the church we met in (there were way more than 10 people in the single line I was in at the time) in order to pick up end of 2020 school year stuff. I was appalled, still am, that it is the Christian co-op for the area - blatantly lying about their precautions. 

Our (now former) church did this. I am sure they intended for people to follow them, but they left up the notice online for months after it was apparent that plenty of people were not following them. 

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I already don't trust any church sponsored events around here they are the worst offenders.  Large events/ businesses have usually followed the rules because of fines etc.   I guess this rodeo figured they would get more people and not get fined since it's a one night event.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

DH has tested negative, just shy of 2wks after first testing positive. DS is still positive & will retest in a few days. I am still negative. 

Sounds like Team Moderna did its job. Great news. Hoping for good news from your DS soon.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Sounds like Team Moderna did its job. Great news. Hoping for good news from your DS soon.

Yeah, I think mine being in May / June vs DH’s being in March made all the difference.

He got very sick after his vaccine (high fever, teeth-chattering chills, pouring sweat) so we are both very glad he managed to stay Covid-free until after he was vaccinated. I’m sure it helped quite a bit. 

• Like 6

Does anyone else figure that people in their area, even previously cautious ones, simply don’t bother to keep tabs anymore?  
I know all my friends’ kids, including under 12s, are hanging out and having fun. I’m the only party pooper left, as far as I can tell.  But this is what we look like:

156D8842-78EA-4ADE-B65D-D2D2FB04D999.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Closer, ever closer, for us.  Dd's first DE college class had the one case on campus though all students and prof were masked, there's excellent ventilation, and they are all required to be vaccinated. 

I'm trying to see where I can "balance the budget" on our exposure to compensate for her taking on-campus classes, but we don't do anything other than run our business and go to the store.

Suddenly more guests are walking in unmasked - why now?  Two weeks ago we had easy, excellent compliance from the traveling public. I really do not understand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

There are so many things I don't understand.   

Why are governors still actively fighting court cases that support mask mandates?   If they are fighting them for political points, doesn't that let them off the hook?   They tried, but those awful liberals pushed them through.    Can that many people really believe masks don't make any difference?  As their states are getting slammed?

I do think your average person isn't keeping up on the latest information.  I'm still hearing talking points that were proven wrong back in January.  

• Like 7

23 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Drastic shift for pandemic preparedness: But something is missing - by Katelyn Jetelina - Your Local Epidemiologist (substack.com)

Diseases are jumping from animals-to-humans. With climate change, people are moving into areas that have never been inhabited before; animals, like mosquitos, are also shifting. An example is unfolding in real time. An outbreak of Nipah virus has caused hundreds to quarantine after a 12-year old died of the disease on Sept 5, 2021 in India. Nipah virus jumps from animals-to-humans, such as bats or pigs, and then is easily transmitted human-to-human. Nipah virus has a 45-75% mortality rate.

Humans easily spread the virus. Due to globalization, humans are able to travel more than ever, so viruses will be introduced in places that they’ve never been. We just saw this on July 15, 2021 when a case of Monkeypox from Nigeria landed in Dallas. But thanks to mask mandates on the plane and airports, a potentially severe outbreak was 100% prevented.

There’s no question that we will have another pandemic in coming years.

I agree, and it will be way worse than this one. I told dh the other day that we need to get used to the idea of hunkering down with our mothers and adult kids, using delivery, enjoying mother nature away from groups, masking in public places, and watching our favorite orchestras on livestream because about the time we maybe, just maybe, manage to tamp down covid or it mutates to a much less dangerous form, another one is going to pop up.

Masking in public may be a permanent thing for those that want to protect their loved ones, and many of us will have to make permanent decisions about whom to shut out of our lives permanently. At some point I do expect medical science to come up with more vaccines and other means of boosting immunity as well as treatments that work rapidly to prevent long lasting damage, but I think we are still a decade away from ramping up and funding the research, having enough researchers, and the means of production and mass distribution. I don't think particularly the USA will learn it's lessons this first time around. Too much of the nation, too much of the political structure was against doing the work.

• Like 3

Does anyone else figure that people in their area, even previously cautious ones, simply don’t bother to keep tabs anymore?  

I see a fair amount of "I just need to move on with my life" type sentiments.  And to be honest, I get the weariness.  I also see you and understand this is hard for you.  I am there also.

• Like 4

I know all my friends’ kids, including under 12s, are hanging out and having fun. I’m the only party pooper left, as far as I can tell.  But this is what we look like:

156D8842-78EA-4ADE-B65D-D2D2FB04D999.jpeg

We are seeing a lot of covid fatigue here, people who used to be cautious throwing all considerations to the wind. We are also just beginning to ramp up, and already a local sheriff's deputy who was well known and loved has died of covid. Has this changed local behavior? No it has not. Our vax rate is only 42% for fully vaxed, and 39% for one shot. The difference between those two numbers is so low that it means pretty much everyone who is willing to be vaxed has been vaxed and few have changed their minds and are waiting for the next shot. The only thing that works in favorite of this county is how rural it is and how spread out. Our demographic for school age children is low compared to other counties - school populations have been shrinking for the last 20 years because more and more families have left. So spread may not be quite as bad as counties south of here. But that doesn't mean it won't get ugly, and we have no hospitals with respiratory therapists or a single ICU bed, so everyone gets turfed from the stitch and ditch to the city hospitals in a lovely attempt to further overwhelm those hospitals.

Our circle will shrink. In a rare moment of fun with someone outside my immediate clan, I had afternoon tea at a tea house with outside dining. The lady I went with is a friend whom I have not been able to spend time with since the pandemic started. It was a beautiful day outside, and the staff masked. Once our tea and salads, and fruit, was served the staff stayed away. We had a bell to ring if we needed anything.  It was lovely. But she told me she is tired of it all, and had decided that after our outing, she was no longer going to be cautious, mask, etc. So it is going to be another long stretch of not doing anything with anyone. I spent some time crying last night. It had gone so well, and I had found an outdoor cafe on the water about an hour from here and was going to invite her to go next week, my treat. I ended up not doing it since she indicated she was going to an indoor, women's bible study with about 25 women most of whom she admitted were anti-vax. I came home and cried. I so desperately wanted to go to the outdoor cafe with someone who is not my mother, mother in law, kids, or husband. I adore my family and love them intensely, but sometimes it is just nice to have a friend,  different perspectives, different topics of conversation.

I have made a reservation at the cafe to go alone. They have really nice GF options. I will take a book and just be alone, but at least it is a change of scenery and not an elderly woman outing. I love the mothers, but since they rely so heavily on me it is weary to have every aspect of my life always about them, and neither one ever stops to consider me or my feelings. They can be very draining emotional and physically.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Sad 12

My mom has decided to stay away from all the grandkids again, as she is in physical therapy multiple times a week and is worried about giving it to the kids if she catches it there (kids too young to be vaccinated). And I'm worried about the kids giving it to her (nieces are in public school, my kids now in church, sunday school)

This sucks. I miss my mom. 

• Sad 13

Sigh, I inquired about ballet at another studio that would be closer to us and they don't wear masks in their studio.  I mean I want my kids to not wear masks while they dance too.  It is so much easier, but I don't think now is the time.  This is why we go to the other county.  I took my kids into some stores in this other county last night.  Of course I am worried sick about it.  But they had a great time.  They haven't been in a store since 2020 and maybe 2019.  In 2020 I would avoid taking them in just because it was harder, flu season, and Covid was on my radar in Jan.   They had a great time looking at pets, super expensive mountain bikes, and running into a grocery story super fast.  We saw 3 unmasked people (one a baby).  

• Like 1

I feel like we’ve thrown caution to the wind.  We decided that since our whole family is vaccinated we’d go back to regular activities as long as they were enforcing an indoor mask mandate.  They all are . . . but it still feels like so much exposure.  And it is, compared to last year when we homeschooled and worked from home and had indoor exposure to maybe 5 people outside our household.  Now we’re at hundreds.  I did teach in person last spring, but the college was enforcing strict precautions and had an on-campus case rate far lower than the surrounding community.  

I honestly want to crawl back into our cave. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Danae said:

I feel like we’ve thrown caution to the wind.  We decided that since our whole family is vaccinated we’d go back to regular activities as long as they were enforcing an indoor mask mandate.  They all are . . . but it still feels like so much exposure.  And it is, compared to last year when we homeschooled and worked from home and had indoor exposure to maybe 5 people outside our household.  Now we’re at hundreds.  I did teach in person last spring, but the college was enforcing strict precautions and had an on-campus case rate far lower than the surrounding community.  

I honestly want to crawl back into our cave. 

Me too.   We are doing the same, going back to things that are enforcing masks.  We are all not vaxxed.  3 younger kids.  But our mental health was suffering.   My kids need to be around some other kids and have friends.  Some days I just want to go back to our cave.  Then other times it helps me get back to feeling  normal just going about life with a mask on in all over the place.  

• Like 1