Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is it that weird though? People seem to be wired to continue to repeat actions and feel less of a sense of danger once they’ve done them safely a few times even though statistically they’re no safer.

Hmmm, that's fair. I'm certainly prone to this effect as well... on the other hand, I actually don't know if that's what's going on, either, because most people in the US do know someone who died or got very sick. 

On 8/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, whitestavern said:

Are you saying there are nurses in hospitals not wearing masks? I honestly can’t imagine that is true. 

She probably means off job...in their personal life. I have a niece in law who is a CNA and she masks at work because she is required, but is a full on conspiracy theorist (works at a nursing home so she is not seeing the death and destruction that she would if working in a hospital) , and does not mask anywhere else, parties on the weekends in large groups, some of the lake parties have had 100 people! She refuses to vax so I consider her nothing more than a bio weapon on the loose. I have cut her and my nephew out of my life permanently.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Cullman, AL, is known for their white supremacy. Ds referred to it as a sundowners town when he was telling us about it when we visited last spring. He is in college and has a same age friend who was spoken to derogatorily and ignored when friend briefly stopped there for gas or something. 

Is that the one with the giant Confederate flag? We drove through AL last week on our way to take L to school, saw the flag, and decided that we could make it somewhere else before stopping for gas.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Hmmm, that's fair. I'm certainly prone to this effect as well... on the other hand, I actually don't know if that's what's going on, either, because most people in the US do know someone who died or got very sick. 

Do we know that this is true?

One vaccine hesitant person in my family doesn't know anyone who has had COVID.  (Or at least won't admit it.)

The other vaccine hesitant people in my family who have now gotten their first shot knew more people who got really sick from the vaccine than who got really sick with COVID.  It took some work to convince them to get vaccinated.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Junie said:

One vaccine hesitant person in my family doesn't know anyone who has had COVID.  (Or at least won't admit it.)

The other vaccine hesitant people in my family who have now gotten their first shot knew more people who got really sick from the vaccine than who got really sick with COVID.  It took some work to convince them to get vaccinated.

I would be really surprised if this is not true, given that we have more than half a million dead people and millions of hospitalized people. The only way people may not feel this is true is if they don't believe when they are told that someone died from COVID. 

I mean, there are facts and then there's cognitive dissonance, I guess. And I suppose there may still be pockets of the country where COVID has been rare, but I doubt there are many. (And I doubt there will be a significant number after the next wave.) 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I would be really surprised if this is not true, given that we have more than half a million dead people and millions of hospitalized people. The only way people may not feel this is true is if they don't believe when they are told that someone died from COVID. 

I mean, there are facts and then there's cognitive dissonance, I guess. And I suppose there may still be pockets of the country where COVID has been rare, but I doubt there are many. (And I doubt there will be a significant number after the next wave.) 

Well, this person knows that people are dying from COVID, but as far as I know, no one that this person knows personally has died of COVID.  It hasn't hit home, in other words.

Edited by Junie

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

This. One of our former 4H families has lost two grandparents and a nephew (college age) to covid but claim that the doctors were lying and it wasn't really covid. Sigh. You can't reason with cult followers.

• Sad 8

27 minutes ago, Junie said:

I think that is very hard to assess.  Of the vaccine hesitant or resistant people I know, the word "Covid" isn't spoken aloud.  A friend or family member "got very sick".  The symptoms are Covid symptoms but they didn't test because if you don't get a "positive" then you don't really have it.  (Or so the reasoning appears to go.)  And if they do have to be admitted or tested because symptoms are bad enough, then no one is told the diagnosis.  I do know a number of people who had Covid  They did not talk about it until they were well.  As far as I can tell (because I am only relying on what they volunteer because I am not going to quiz people on this), some were quite sick and some have ongoing issues for months afterwards.  But I don't know how many people they have told other than me.  (They had to tell me because they were staff members and it directly affected their work availability.) 

I hear prayer requests at church for people who are sick.  I know that some of those (including some in the ICU) are Covid patients but the reason for their illness is never mentioned in the prayer request even though people will talk about other reasons for illness like cancer or heart attack.  There seems to be a "don't ask, don't tell" thing going on.  For those who have died of Covid, there is always an explanation given along with the admission - "He died of Covid, but you know that he was very old."  or "She died of Covid, but you know that she had underlying conditions".  It seems that this explanation is given to diminish the reality of Covid as a dangerous virus.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

It does make me wonder how folks make decisions.

Vax hesitancy isn't illogical per se.  I was vax hesitant because I wanted to know more information, and because I would rather let my immune system deal with illness that is unlikely to kill me.  Both reasons that I consider rational, whether you agree with them or not.  When the info came in, I saw that for many people, the vax was going to be more uncomfortable than Covid.  And some people were dying from the vax.  So I got the vax for those people who were likely to suffer regardless of whether they got the vax or Covid.

What I wonder about is how intelligent people now still insist on ignoring or twisting facts that are really undeniable at this point.  I see it on my facebook feed sometimes.  People keep repeating "logic" that is so obviously illogical that I can't believe they really believe that.  Some of these people are in the medical / health professions - which may or may not lend "credibility" to what they are saying, for individuals who are not smart enough to see through the "logic."

But for those people, IME, it almost always comes down to deep-seated fear of being controlled.

I wonder if things would be different had the vaccine not received EUA immediately after the 2020 election.  It is a time of intense distrust of our leaders and info sources.  I really think the distrust is making smart people unable to reason.

Another possible factor is that a lot of people went offline when all this was going on.  People just don't want to hear the political crap that is all over the media.  I have a SIL who is trying to beat cancer right now.  Last we discussed it, she was an anti, but she's been offline since last fall, trying to be positive and get well.  I definitely don't see her digging up Covid stats on a regular basis.  It's hard enough for well people like me to consume a steady diet of pandemic info.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I have a friend who is very anti mask and anti vaccine. She even asked me to let her know if I found a source for fake vaccine cards. 

She broke up with family members over the holidays because they wanted households to sit together at Christmas dinner and for everyone to mask when they were not eating. 

I thought something might shift in her thinking when she lost someone very close to her to Covid, but it didn’t change anything. In fact, I couldn’t understand the reasoning, but she has somehow rationalize it so that she believes her loved one was actually killed by the measures the hospital used to prevent and treat Covid. She feels that her loved one would have lived if the opposite political party was still in power. 

I love her dearly, but nothing will shake her from her stance and knowing how she has responded to this crisis has reignited my passion to make sure my kids get the very, very best education I can possibly provide. 

• Sad 13

9 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This. One of our former 4H families has lost two grandparents and a nephew (college age) to covid but claim that the doctors were lying and it wasn't really covid. Sigh. You can't reason with cult followers.

Yep. I know someone who keeps insisting that these people are dying of pneumonia, not Covid. Refuses to accept that the pneumonia was caused by Covid. Go round and round of her saying that everyone is lying that it was pneumonia not Covid! So this person will say she doesn’t know anyone who had died of Covid, when in fact she has been to the funerals.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I do not know anyone who was sick worse than with a normal flu. I know about 15-20 people who had Covid, ranging in age from early 20s to early 60s. No one high risk (that I know of) or elderly. 

ETA: Actually, only one person I know had flu like symptoms. The rest were really more like a cold. 

Disclaimer: This does not mean I do not believe Covid is "real" or "potentially very bad/deadly," just sharing my experience. 

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 3

I don't personally know people who had it worse than a bad flu..but I know someone with long Covid, and I know someone who had a parent die of Covid. So friend of a friend type thing. But even the ones who had it like a bad flu were miserable and said it was the sickest they'd ever been, and for all of them it lasted longer than the 24-48hrs of side effects that people I know had from the vaccine. 

I do think if it had been approved just before the election, things would be very different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

I do not know anyone who was sick worse than with a normal flu. I know about 15-20 people who had Covid, ranging in age from early 20s to early 60s. No one high risk (that I know of) or elderly. 

ETA: Actually, only one person I know had flu like symptoms. The rest were really more like a cold. 

Disclaimer: This does not mean I do not believe Covid is "real" or "potentially very bad/deadly," just sharing my experience. 

It’s so interesting how much this can vary. Everyone I know who had it in three different states between 20s and 60s with one exception described it as the sickest they’ve ever been and a few ended up with ER and urgent care visits and one with long covid. On the other hand, I don’t know anyone who had anything more than 24 hours or so of symptoms after the vaccine with maybe some lingering fatigue, and that is a much larger group. Thankfully, I don’t personally know anyone who died from covid, but of course I feel terrible for the two boardies who lost their husbands.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Is that the one with the giant Confederate flag? We drove through AL last week on our way to take L to school, saw the flag, and decided that we could make it somewhere else before stopping for gas.

I didn't see the flag, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's up near the Tennessee border, about 50 minutes north of Huntsville. It's where the Ava Maria Grotto is, which is why we were there.

2 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I just found out about this story Binax destroyed home test kits because they thought they weren’t needed anymore!!!! Why???????

I read it on a Kindle New York Times so it’s paywalled for me on the Internet. 

So, my DH works for the large corporation that makes the Binax tests...in a totally unrelated part of the company, but he was just telling me about this yesterday.  We were both shaking our heads at it.  It seems like it was one of those things that made sense at the moment in terms of pure profit motives but was not forward thinking at all.

Here's a couple of non-paywall articles:  https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/westbrooks-maine-abbott-labs-refutes-new-york-times-report-that-says-they-forced-maine-workers-to-destroy-covid-19-test-kits/97-1e53be83-2589-41d2-a458-28a45d1d6e4a

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bad-bet-covid-test-manufacturer-141615972.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kirstenhill said:

So, my DH works for the large corporation that makes the Binax tests...in a totally unrelated part of the company, but he was just telling me about this yesterday.  We were both shaking our heads at it.  It seems like it was one of those things that made sense at the moment in terms of pure profit motives but was not forward thinking at all.

Here's a couple of non-paywall articles:  https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/westbrooks-maine-abbott-labs-refutes-new-york-times-report-that-says-they-forced-maine-workers-to-destroy-covid-19-test-kits/97-1e53be83-2589-41d2-a458-28a45d1d6e4a

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bad-bet-covid-test-manufacturer-141615972.html

Yeah, I read about this too.  The article I read also mentioned how upsetting it was for the many African immigrants who were employed there to be destroying tests that were sorely needed in their home countries.  

And now not only have they destroyed tests which we obviously still need, but laid off so many people that they're having a hard time hiring or rehiring staff to meet the current demand. 

This kind of short-term profits-only thinking is deeply malignant.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

13 minutes ago, Frances said:

It’s so interesting how much this can vary. Everyone I know who had it in three different states between 20s and 60s with one exception described it as the sickest they’ve ever been and a few ended up with ER and urgent care visits and one with long covid. On the other hand, I don’t know anyone who had anything more than 24 hours or so of symptoms after the vaccine with maybe some lingering fatigue, and that is a much larger group. Thankfully, I don’t personally know anyone who died from covid, but of course I feel terrible for the two boardies who lost their husbands.

Are there two? I can only think of one, but many who’ve lost friends and family members and have interacted with long COVID in either themselves and family members.

Personally, we’ve had a great-uncle in the family die of COVID, a babysitter of ours was very sick but not in need of medical care, a coworker of DH has long COVID, and we know a toddler who got it and it was mild.

I’d guess that people who don’t know anyone seriously affected are either lucky or refuse to admit that it’s real. And we’re in the lucky group in a way — we’ve been privileged enough to lock down. It’s not a coincidence that the only one I know who died was 90.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, SKL said:

But for those people, IME, it almost always comes down to deep-seated fear of being controlled.

I wonder if things would be different had the vaccine not received EUA immediately after the 2020 election.  It is a time of intense distrust of our leaders and info sources.  I really think the distrust is making smart people unable to reason.

It’s crazy and sad that people can be so blinded by political ideology to the point they needlessly give their lives for it 😢. It really reminds me more of religious death cults than anything. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

It’s crazy and sad that people can be so blinded by political ideology to the point they needlessly give their lives for it 😢. It really reminds me more of religious death cults than anything. 

It’s bizarre, though. The vaccines were very much a project of the previous administration!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wrt the Binax article I read, there was a Cassandra figure, I guess a stock analyst (I did not totally know the reference that was made) who asked the question “you don’t think demand might increase in the Fall?”

And I also read about the African immigrants wondering why they couldn’t donate supplies instead of destroying them 😞

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Are there two? I can only think of one, but many who’ve lost friends and family members and have interacted with long COVID in either themselves and family members.

Personally, we’ve had a great-uncle in the family die of COVID, a babysitter of ours was very sick but not in need of medical care, a coworker of DH has long COVID, and we know a toddler who got it and it was mild.

I’d guess that people who don’t know anyone seriously affected are either lucky or refuse to admit that it’s real. And we’re in the lucky group in a way — we’ve been privileged enough to lock down. It’s not a coincidence that the only one I know who died was 90.

In the Ignore thread on the General board, someone very recently lost her husband. That’s the second I’ve seen.

Edited by Frances
  • Sad 15

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think it also depends on where you live, and how many people you are connected to. Maybe I'm just lucky to not personally know anyone who died (definitely know people who would be more "Friends of friends" or "relatives of friends")...but I also think about the fact that the vast, vast majority of people I know personally live in only two states, that have only had 14,000ish COVID deaths combined between them.  I also don't have a huge extended family in the older generations or personally know very many people over the age of 70 at all.  So, I feel it is kind of unsurprising that I don't know any of those 14,000ish people personally.   I definitely believe it is real/serious...I just don't have a huge circle of personal connections in communities that are more likely to be seriously affected.

58 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

I know some folks who had the mild flu-like version, but also some who were very ill. A coworker ended up twice in the ER (first time she left after ling on the floor for several hours because they were so overwhelmed). 

A friend, a woman in her 30s, has it for the second time. First time she was sick for weeks. This time, she had a move planned and had to give up the apartment she was going to rent because is unable to move. A simple trip to the grocery store leaves her completely exhausted and she needs to sleep for 6 hours afterwards.

And another friend's son-in-law (who was probably in his 40s) was airlifted to the city, spent several weeks on a ventilator, and died.

• Sad 10

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yep. I know someone who keeps insisting that these people are dying of pneumonia, not Covid. Refuses to accept that the pneumonia was caused by Covid. Go round and round of her saying that everyone is lying that it was pneumonia not Covid! So this person will say she doesn’t know anyone who had died of Covid, when in fact she has been to the funerals.

Yes, we recently encountered that. Person said she did fine with Covid, it was the pneumonia that was a problem (she needed steroids and antibiotics). It's like she thought they were unrelated??

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I’ve known more than half a dozen people IRL who had confirmed deaths from Covid.  3 men I know had blood clots in the period just before it was officially here, two of which died.

Those who died mostly lived in North Florida and have dismissed the whole thing as a hoax or at least an overblown cold that only kills the elderly.  

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

It’s bizarre, though. The vaccines were very much a project of the previous administration!!!

And also, the vaccines were a part of a much longer legacy as work has continued since SARS1 back in 2003.  I remember SARS1. We were dang lucky it stopped at 29 countries and <1000 deaths. The CFR was 11%.  Still, it frightened the heck out of a lot of people and research began for a vaccine then.  They leapfrogged off of that research to do the current vaccines series.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Yes, we recently encountered that. Person said she did fine with Covid, it was the pneumonia that was a problem (she needed steroids and antibiotics). It's like she thought they were unrelated??

I wrote, maybe in another thread, about the coroner in my state who leaves Covid off the death certificate so families won't "feel bad" and who would have written "Pneumonia" on a death cert in case of death by Covid caused pneumonia. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I know 3 people that died of Covid, (friends and a former work colleague). I know at least two dozen people that had Covid that ranged from asymptomatic to hospitalization, (but without vent).

Some of the people that had mild or asymptomatic Covid we're surprising: immune-compromised or had lousy lung function. By all accounts, they should not have done well.  The people that needed hospital were young, and in robust health prior to Covid. 

I only know 1 breakthrough case, and they said Covid felt like normal allergy symptoms for them.

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I know 3 people that died of Covid, (friends and a former work colleague). I know at least two dozen people that had Covid that ranged from asymptomatic to hospitalization, (but without vent).

Some of the people that had mild or asymptomatic Covid we're surprising: immune-compromised or had lousy lung function. By all accounts, they should not have done well.  The people that needed hospital were young, and in robust health prior to Covid. 

I only know 1 breakthrough case, and they said Covid felt like normal allergy symptoms for them.

Yeah, you've had bad COVID luck, I'd say -- you're one of the people on here who seems to know a LOT of people who've had it bad. 

I've found that it's hard to know who will do well. There's a correlation with age, obviously, but there are certainly asymptomatic old folks with COVID... 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, you've had bad COVID luck, I'd say -- you're one of the people on here who seems to know a LOT of people who've had it bad. 

I've found that it's hard to know who will do well. There's a correlation with age, obviously, but there are certainly asymptomatic old folks with COVID... 

I think since DH and I have lived in so many different parts of the country, it has increased our "sample" for covid. At the start of the pandemic, most cases were in our northern friends and family. Now cases have shifted almost entirely to people who live in southern states.

I am a little concerned about the complacency I see creeping into my northern people, however. They are starting to act like the pandemic is over. I think they are premature with this thinking.

• Like 3

Four family members died. One of DH's former coworkers was the first person we knew with it in March of 2020, and as of November, she was still not able to work (he doesn't work there anymore, so I don't know how she's doing now). 

I am sure I know more people that died, but since people are being mum on social media, and we're not seeing people, who knows?

I know people that were hospitalized and recovered (not ventilated). I know people who recovered and beg people to get shots and people who recovered and are like, "You can't avoid it no matter what." So frustrating. 

• Sad 7

I live in the state with the highest per capita Covid deaths and I still only know of one person I know IRL who died of Covid (an aunt who was older and worked as a CNA in multiple nursing homes).  I know some who have had it ranging from mild but had a positive test to feeling very very sick, but as far as I know, nobody else I know personally was even hospitalized.  

I do have some online friends who had family members pass from Covid, in other states. 

I think there must be a lot of people not sharing the details when they or a loved one gets sick.   I don't see a lot of Covid denial around me, we've always had pretty good masking, and the vaccination rate in my town is 86% of eligible, my county is 74% of eligible, so people generally are taking it seriously.  

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 2

I take this pandemic deadly seriously...but that is not due to personal experience.

My aunt is my closest relative who I know is sick - she has been struggling with long Covid for 5 months now. She was in the hospital for a few days when she first got it, but never ventilated. She is more or less bedridden currently, but she has had a lot of health issues for the past several years which included fatigue, general pain, gastrointestinal issues, etc. So Covid has caused deterioration, but not a huge change in her quality of life.

I know a sprinkling of co-workers at DH's work have gotten sick with Covid, but to the best of his knowledge none have died at his facility (which has many hundreds of employees). But since most of the employees can easily work from home, and often do so with some regularity, I expect many who have gotten mildly sick just quietly quarantine with no fanfare.

My son's ABA therapist tested positive during a routine screening, but never had any symptoms.

So, to the best of my knowledge, I do not personally know anyone who has died of Covid, and only one person, with significant pre-existing conditions, who has been severely impacted by it.

But the advantage to being a human is that I can learn via language from others' experiences and judge risk based on science and statistical models rather than waiting to respond until an alarming number of my own friends and family have died or been maimed.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

A pro-life Christian nurse that I know (different than the other one I've complained about) is asking church friends to fast and pray to pass a bill in our state to take us back to the dark ages. This is the purpose of the bill, and it covers all kinds of places like colleges and nursing homes. 

One of the sponsors is the dork in the legislature that thinks that masks mar the image of God. 

To amend section 3345.47, to enact section 3792.02, and to repeal sections 1713.55, 3332.25, 3345.85, and 3701.133 of the Revised Code to prohibit mandatory vaccinations, vaccination status disclosures, and certain other actions regarding vaccinations and to name this act the Vaccine Choice and Anti-Discrimination Act.

• Sad 6

I have friends who've lost loved ones, and one of my relatives lost in-laws, but I don't personally know anyone who has died of covid. Most of the people I know who've had it were not elderly and did not have underlying conditions (that I know of), and the cases have ranged from bad cold to really bad flu to really really sick for weeks with lingering symptoms for months. The worst case was a fit, healthy, athletic male whose only underlying condition was migraines. But, as Wendyroo said, I don't need to personally know people who are lingering in ICU or dying to understand the seriousness of this disease and want to do everything possible to avoid it.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

I am a little concerned about the complacency I see creeping into my northern people, however. They are starting to act like the pandemic is over. I think they are premature with this thinking.

Yes. I'm seeing this, and it scares me. We're one of the few holdouts who aren't joyfully jumping into in-person activities right in the midst of Delta... 

• Sad 3

30 minutes ago, kbutton said:

A pro-life Christian nurse that I know (different than the other one I've complained about) is asking church friends to fast and pray to pass a bill in our state to take us back to the dark ages. This is the purpose of the bill, and it covers all kinds of places like colleges and nursing homes. 

One of the sponsors is the dork in the legislature that thinks that masks mar the image of God. 

Well, let's just bring back polio, diphtheria, small pox, and measles! It is so enjoyable to have those outbreaks ravage entire communities.  (Dripping sarcasm) How many kids can we shove into the grave????? 

Sigh. I guess that is one way to combat global climate change. Just put the Grim Reaper in the driver's seat and buckle up for a good season of back to back plagues.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, wendyroo said:

But the advantage to being a human is that I can learn via language from others' experiences and judge risk based on science and statistical models rather than waiting to respond until an alarming number of my own friends and family have died or been maimed.

It doesn't seem to be an advantage that all humans possess 😛 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

On 8/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, Not_a_Number said:

I also kind of can't believe it. I mean, I've planned an entirely online year with only outdoor meetups, so obviously I kind of knew this was coming, but I didn't foresee the fact that even outdoor meetups would be making me feel queasy!! 

The numbers are going up here already. I'm terrified of what's going to happen to them as soon as kids are in school!! 

Hey, I told someone that Abbott Labs, which destroyed lots of Bionax kits in June and shut down production which angered their mainly African immigrant workers since they thought Abbott should have donated to Africa or somewhere, that Abbott Labs should have had someone reading our threzds on Covid and vaccines.  Lots of people here thought Delta would change things- and you were one of her main ones.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Hey, I told someone that Abbott Labs, which destroyed lots of Bionax kits in June and shut down production which angered their mainly African immigrant workers since they thought Abbott should have donated to Africa or somewhere, that Abbott Labs should have had someone reading our threzds on Covid and vaccines.  Lots of people here thought Delta would change things- and you were one of her main ones.

I did plan the entirely online year back in the spring -- I knew which way the wind was blowing. So yes, if I were working at Abbott, I wouldn't have done this 😛

Really, it's a remarkably foolish decision. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

The one that boggles my mind is “why are we taking so many more precautions than the people in Florida when we have so many fewer cases than they do?” Heard it at church this morning, where we are masking, distancing, and as of this week no congregational singing even with masks.  

Edited by Danae
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Danae said:

The one that boggles my mind is “why are we taking so many more precautions than the people in Florida when we have so many fewer cases than they do? Heard it at church this morning, where we are masking, distancing, and as of this week no congregational singing even with masks.  

Yeah, I've heard that, too. It's like we're supposed to be immune in the north for some reason, as opposed to us having lower cases due to being outside more, meaning that fall will almost certainly be ROUGH.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

8 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

It doesn't seem to be the advantage that all humans possess 😛 

It's shocking how many times I've seen posts on social media about how stupid it is to take a vaccine that is "only 95% effective" for a disease that is "99% survivable." And it's always said like that's some really clever gotcha, proof of how much smarter they are than the pro-vax idiots. Like everyone knows 99 is a bigger number than 95 — Duh!

I imagine if you offered people a ticket to meet their favorite musician or sports star or something, and told them that it was a really exclusive event, only 100 tickets available, but the catch is that at the end of the event one of the 100 people in the room would be killed, not many people would take that ticket even though the event had a "99% survival rate." 

RW radio host Phil Valentine declared that his decision to not get vaccinated was "common sense" because his chances of getting covid were really low and his chances of dying if he did get it were "way less than 1%." He died a few days ago, and his family are now begging his followers to get the shot.

• Like 6
  • Sad 7