Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Oy! Just wow.

Michigan is headed down the path. Most of the schools are starting up in the next two weeks without mask mandate, fall weather will set in, rain, cool, everyone will go inside, homecoming dances are planned, everyone is acting like nothing is going on out there, and we had 4100 new cases over the last three days. Move everyone indoors and it will be 4100 a day until schools close down and everyone goes well, "WTF? I didn't think that would happen!" Well. Duh.

In good news, Kent, Ottawa, Genesee, Allegan and Kalamazoo counties have mandated masks in schools (at least up through grade 6). And those have all happened in the last couple days - I know that many of the schools in these districts start this coming Monday.

So it is possible more counties and districts will follow soon. Some schools don't start until after Labor Day, so those districts might be waiting a couple weeks to make the announcement, rather than giving people that much time to get their panties in a twist.

After all, someone once said that “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” And that day might be between now and Labor Day - and then how silly would the districts look if they had already mandated masks and the pandemic was gone!! 🙄

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

The Orlando water situation is terrible. From the article Regentrude posted:

So, because many people won't put up with a mask mandate, everyone will have to put up with a boil water advisory indefinitely. If the av/am crowd thinks that people are angry with them now, just wait until everyone has to either buy bottled water (which will instantly disappear from shelves) or boil water. 

and in the midst of this, what is our Governor focusing on? Fighting school mask mandates. Cause really, the problem is too many people in masks, right?

I'm living in a dystopia. 

• Sad 13

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

and in the midst of this, what is our Governor focusing on? Fighting school mask mandates. Cause really, the problem is too many people in masks, right?

I'm living in a dystopia. 

If the water system fails in Orlando, his political future will be flushed along with all the non-potable water.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

If the water system fails in Orlando, his political future will be flushed along with all the non-potable water.

Maybe. I mean, he's still saying the biggest problem facing Floridians right now is...wait for it...inflation. so he's delusional and has delusional followers. The mayor is a democrat so they will likely blame him. 

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Oy! Just wow.

Michigan is headed down the path. Most of the schools are starting up in the next two weeks without mask mandate, fall weather will set in, rain, cool, everyone will go inside, homecoming dances are planned, everyone is acting like nothing is going on out there, and we had 4100 new cases over the last three days. Move everyone indoors and it will be 4100 a day until schools close down and everyone goes well, "WTF? I didn't think that would happen!" Well. Duh.

Yes, except that was 4,100 in two days, not three. Monday counts are three days, Wednesday’s and Friday’s are two day counts. If this isn’t a blip, it’s already at over 2,000 a day.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I really hate to write this because I'm afraid it will turn out to be true but someone is going to suggest that untreated water is superior because it's "natural." Someone will probably suggest that drinking "natural" water is a cure for COVID. 

You’re probably right. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm waiting for the pro drunk driving protests to start. Or people taking up smoking out of spite. 

238587670_10158384208358202_119241845790

I know people who think car seats, seatbelts, and bike helmets are all examples of government overreach. One of them was wishy washy about drunk driving, too. 

There is no limit to stupid. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I know people who think car seats, seatbelts, and bike helmets are all examples of government overreach. One of them was wishy washy about drunk driving, too. 

There is no limit to stupid. 

You know, come to think of it, my anti vax neighbor lets his kids ride without helmets (I don't think they own helmets), smokes, and has been arrested for driving drunk. 

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I really hate to write this because I'm afraid it will turn out to be true but someone is going to suggest that untreated water is superior because it's "natural." Someone will probably suggest that drinking "natural" water is a cure for COVID. 

Just for a bit of levity, we had Meet the Teacher last night. I'm subbing in a PreK class and met my students. One Dad asked how we would hydrate his son and I told him to send a water bottle and we'd be glad to fill it. Dad asked where we would get the water. "From the tap."  He said his son doesn't like tap water. Could be bring in special water for him? As I said, "Sure", Mom muttered "spoiled child" under her breath. They are divorced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Schools start Monday here. Despite Abbott's best attempt to thwart mask mandates, our district has one beginning Monday. The school where I'm subbing is closed to visitors after Wednesday. I know of one other campus that's closed, but I haven't looked to see if they all are in our ISD. Closed in this context means no visitors are allowed on campus, only students and staff. Plexiglass is back on the desks. Parents will be notified of positive cases. Most of these changes have happened in this last week. The school of about 600 K-5 students has about 6 students who have tested positive and can't return to school until next Friday.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

"74% of infections with Delta took place during the presymptomatic phase" 

And yet we have unhinged, screaming parents demanding that their children (or other people's children, since many of the protesters don't even have kids in public school) be exposed to potential presymptomatic covid-carriers on a daily basis, while politicians pander to them to score political points at the cost of children's health and even lives. It's sick.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Schools start Monday here. Despite Abbott's best attempt to thwart mask mandates, our district has one beginning Monday. The school where I'm subbing is closed to visitors after Wednesday. I know of one other campus that's closed, but I haven't looked to see if they all are in our ISD. Closed in this context means no visitors are allowed on campus, only students and staff. Plexiglass is back on the desks. Parents will be notified of positive cases. Most of these changes have happened in this last week. The school of about 600 K-5 students has about 6 students who have tested positive and can't return to school until next Friday.

I hope our district reconsiders, but I doubt it. The 2nd and 3rd grade campus posted this "cute" video, which would have been cute pre-Covid times, but I found it horrifying. The elementary ( this is a 2nd and 3rd grade campus) teachers were lining the halls on Friday morning.  They were playing a song and the teachers were lining the hall clapping and chanting to welcome the kids.  They were dancing and getting so excited.  Only 3 or so of the teacher/staff were masked. Now the 3 or 4 teachers that I personally know that were not are also vaxxed, so the rest probably were as well. 

The students( apporximately 500 this is our entire district and there are 250 in each grade level, though actually 300 in each grade in earlier grades. We tend to lose them by graduation.) then came down the line as they entered their classrooms. Only maybe 2 in each classroom were masked.  And yeah parents night had tons of parents with very few masks if the pictures I saw online were accurate.

We will see what happens starting next week.

On a happier note, my daughter tested negative and so she heads to college tomorrow and we head to Colorado.

Edited by TexasProud
  • Sad 4

The bit about Florida reachiing herd immunity is sort of good news I guess...the cost is to too high given that Orland may be out of drinking water by then and people are dying daily. Plus...how do you really ever have herd immunity in a place full of tourists and vacation home owners? 

• Sad 8

23 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

The bit about Florida reachiing herd immunity is sort of good news I guess...the cost is to too high given that Orland may be out of drinking water by then and people are dying daily. Plus...how do you really ever have herd immunity in a place full of tourists and vacation home owners? 

Oh well, it's burning through a lot of places fast.  It'll hit everyone one way or another.  It would make sense to be testing tourists/airline passengers for a while but I can't imagine Florida having any sort of requirement.  🙄

12 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Oh well, it's burning through a lot of places fast.  It'll hit everyone one way or another.  It would make sense to be testing tourists/airline passengers for a while but I can't imagine Florida having any sort of requirement.  🙄

We have a requirement that you can't have a requirement....that's what we have. (seriously, it is illegal now to ask for or require testing/vaccines)

• Confused 3
  • Sad 6

If Delta were its own pandemic it feels like the US is approaching it similarly to how Sweden approached covid.  "We can't require masks!  We can't shut down!". Sweden hasn't fared well healthwise or economywise. (article above)  Why is the US so very terrible at seeing the cautionary tales?!???!!!?

I know a Florida teacher with kids under twelve.  Last fall she was fighting for safer conditions and this fall is just normal back to school, happy, happy.  I feel like the "let er rip" crowd is crushing the rest of us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Yay we're still orange!  🤪  Also note vermont went from red back to orange.  Interesting.  Their population is so small but it will be interesting to see if they really are on their way back down with their amazing vax rate there.

Our numbers are rising, but not astronomically so and the doubling rate is extending.  Our positivity is back around 5% and a bit up and down the last few days.  Much prefer a slow hump to those scary steep peaks but we'll see,  

I also wonder about the "burn" various places.  Like obviously vaccines are a factor.  But previous infection levels too that may or may not be reflected in case numbers?  Like some eastern states calculate very high death rates (> 3%) and certainly were not getting remotely accurate case number counts early on.  I assume many of those previously infected showing some antibodies would be less likely to get severe disease.  I'm more concerned about hospitalization/deaths for sure with this wave.  

CDC estimates with earlier waves at least 1 in 4.2 infections were reported.  120 million by estimate in late May.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

Edited by FuzzyCatz

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

That's beyond despicable. Schools should have a policy that requires anyone with an exemption to stay home, for their own safety, whenever there's a positive case at the school, since that's generally how it's handled for students with legitimate medical exemptions. Maybe after their kid is stuck home for weeks at a time, the cheaters will decide their scheme wasn't so clever after all.

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Cullman, AL, is known for their white supremacy. Ds referred to it as a sundowners town when he was telling us about it when we visited last spring. He is in college and has a same age friend who was spoken to derogatorily and ignored when friend briefly stopped there for gas or something. 

• Sad 8

55 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

That's beyond despicable. Schools should have a policy that requires anyone with an exemption to stay home, for their own safety, whenever there's a positive case at the school, since that's generally how it's handled for students with legitimate medical exemptions. Maybe after their kid is stuck home for weeks at a time, the cheaters will decide their scheme wasn't so clever after all.

Right, I think that makes perfect sense.  Even better yet require a documented IEP or 504 if they are invoking the ADA. We can’t just use the ADA at will, can we?  Invoking it requires some work. 

Here, my kid who’d have needed to use it to attend PS would need a 504 and a clear plan that we work out with the administration.  And on days when a deadly-to-him substance would be in his classroom - he would have to stay home. We opted to spend our resources on homeschooling rather than dealing with the poor accommodations in our district. 

24 minutes ago, happi duck said:

This makes me so angry.  What part of global pandemic don't they understand?!!!?  "You do you and I'll do me" isn't how any of this works!!!  I am so mad.

We had a local sheriff tell people how to get around our local mask mandate last year, and he was applauded on FB by a bunch of pro-life nurses, pastor's wives, etc. I was so disgusted. 

• Sad 7

42 minutes ago, happi duck said:

This makes me so angry.  What part of global pandemic don't they understand?!!!?  "You do you and I'll do me" isn't how any of this works!!!  I am so mad.

I've honestly lost my ability to be angry about this stuff. My opinion of mankind remains low, though... 

• Like 3

Just now, Wheres Toto said:

There are way too many people who seem to be missing the basic point that we are in a pandemic.   The idea of getting sick, of someone they love getting sick, isn't even something they consider as a possibility.  It's like they live in another reality. 

It's so weird, given how much on my mind it is basically all the time...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I can imagine Florida having a requirement--such as requiring no testing being allowed for incoming tourists.

Bill

I just want to thank everyone posting factual information on this thread.  Also, thanks to everyone posting their anguish and grief.  My heart is really broken right now.  I'm glad I'm not alone in my sadness (although, I wish we weren't sad and everyone was working together for the common good). 

I'm praying for a ray of hope for everyone with heavy hearts right now.  Lord have mercy.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, kbutton said:

We had a local sheriff tell people how to get around our local mask mandate last year, and he was applauded on FB by a bunch of pro-life nurses, pastor's wives, etc. I was so disgusted. 

DeSantis is pro-life - but he is pushing Monoclonal antibody treatment to the people of his state who are suffering and gasping for breath - this treatment uses processes and supplies derived from foetal cells in its R&D and the irony is that this treatment is also under emergency authorization from the FDA just like Pfizer/Moderna vaccine. After hearing so many excuses of "religious exemptions", "Vax kills" and "don't be a guinea pig by taking EUA vaccines" from certain sections of our society who are anti-science and who now stand to benefit from this scientific breakthrough (this out of control anti-science lobby's lies cost thousands of lives and makes this pandemic extend for years), the hypocrisy makes me so angry. 

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

As far as the Trump rally — last year he came to Tulsa and Herman Cain was in attendance, and he died shortly afterward.  Oklahoma Governor Stitt caught coronavirus at the time, iirc not from the rally, but connected to the rally, because he met with some supporters with some connection.

And a bunch of Secret Service agents had to be there, too, and I think that was a time when Secret Service agents were catching it, too.

So there has been a chance to learn that lesson!!!!!!!

• Like 6

I have to test my DS before I can have my IV treatment this week.  I took him to my life-long dentist last week for a cleaning. I made the appointment at 7:30 when only three patients were supposed to be in the office.  As a teen he went in on his own.  Despite MIOSHA requirements, the office is operating completely as they were prior to the pandemic. When they said people didn't need masks I should have clarified if that was just patients, for which it's still only a recommendation. There is a health mandate that all health care employees wear masks in the presence of patients, regardless of vaccination status.  Only his hygienist and the dentist wore masks, and only entering his bay.  The entire office filled for the day while he was there.  It's an open office with probably 20 patient bays.  My infusion team considers his visit a potential exposure.  🤞 I last had my teeth cleaned in October 2019.  It shouldn't be this hard.

• Sad 28

2 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I have to test my DS before I can have my IV treatment this week.  I took him to my life-long dentist last week for a cleaning. I made the appointment at 7:30 when only three patients were supposed to be in the office.  As a teen he went in on his own.  Despite MIOSHA requirements, the office is operating completely as they were prior to the pandemic. When they said people didn't need masks I should have clarified if that was just patients, for which it's still only a recommendation. There is a health mandate that all health care employees wear masks in the presence of patients, regardless of vaccination status.  Only his hygienist and the dentist wore masks, and only entering his bay.  The entire office filled for the day while he was there.  It's an open office with probably 20 patient bays.  My infusion team considers his visit a potential exposure.  🤞 I last had my teeth cleaned in October 2019.  It shouldn't be this hard.

That is what it was like when I just took the kids to the ortho.  UGH.  Some of the staff had masks on but not all.  And they would take them off all the time.  Sad because I have to take my kids back for work.  What the heck are they thinking??

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me, however much it saddens me. My own brother somehow found a doctor to exempt his children from masks at their private school. They even pressured that school last year to open or else they'd enroll somewhere else. But, then again, another member of the other side of their family tells everyone that their (obviously) purebred dog is a rescue because it's more prestigious in their circles to have rescue dogs. 🤷‍♀️

ETA: They have been very anti-mask and anti-vax this entire time. However, my money is on that once institutions/the government really start cracking down on requiring a vaccination or if other countries continue to require it, they'll cave. They travel internationally constantly for work and I can't imagine that they'd stop and change careers over a vaccine.

Edited by ericathemom
  • Sad 1

On 8/20/2021 at 11:45 AM, mommyoffive said:

Why Anti-Covid Plastic Barriers in Classrooms and Restaurants May Make Things Worse - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Intuition tells us a plastic shield would be protective against germs. But scientists who study aerosols, air flow and ventilation say that much of the time, the barriers don’t help and probably give people a false sense of security. And sometimes the barriers can make things worse.

Research suggests that in some instances, a barrier protecting a clerk behind a checkout counter may redirect the germs to another worker or customer. Rows of clear plastic shields, like those you might find in a nail salon or classroom, can also impede normal air flow and ventilation.

Under normal conditions in stores, classrooms and offices, exhaled breath particles disperse, carried by air currents and, depending on the ventilation system, are replaced by fresh air roughly every 15 to 30 minutes. But erecting plastic barriers can change air flow in a room, disrupt normal ventilation and create “dead zones,” where viral aerosol particles can build up and become highly concentrated.

This makes me feel a bit better. Dd is working in a very ventilated “outbuilding”. Last year, they surrounded the check out with plastic barriers, and now they’re gone.  It kind of upset me, but the airflow thing makes sense.

(Still not entirely thrilled, but it’s a safer set up than many other employment options.)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's so weird, given how much on my mind it is basically all the time...

Is it that weird though? People seem to be wired to continue to repeat actions and feel less of a sense of danger once they’ve done them safely a few times even though statistically they’re no safer.

• Like 1