Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-18/texas-governor-greg-abbott-tests-positive-for-covid-19/100386156

Apparently Texas GOV Greg Abbott tested positive for COVID although he’s vaccinated and asymptomatic.  I must admit my politics are muddled but wasn’t he one of the anti restrictions and masking guys?

Yes, he is rabidly against any precautions. He also has had a booster shot, something not available to the rest of the public yet, and though asymptomatic, has been given regeneron antibody treatment, something also rationed among the general public and very costly. Dh's brother couldn't get regeneron just a couple of months ago when he had, and he spent many, many hours in the ER. So the p.o.s. governor gets the primo, sucks to be serfs, Lord of the Land treatment while not even in danger, while others die who can't get it because no hospital beds. I would like to volunteer him for a one way trip to Mars.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 8

Currently, I am down with a stomach virus. Covid was ruled with a PCR test. I am isolating away from the family because we don't need everyone to catch this. I caught it from speaking to a vax'd friend outside my house socially distanced for 10 minutes unmasked. I know this was it because when I mentioned I was sick and had vomiting, she mentioned that she caught a stomach virus and was sick the day after she came by. I hadn't had any other contact with people unmasked.

• Sad 11

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes, he is rabidly against any precautions. He also has had a booster shot, something not available to the rest of the public yet, and thought asymptomatic, has been given regeneron antibody treatment, something also rationed among the general public and very costly. Dh's brother couldn't get retention just a couple of months ago when he had, and he spent many, many hours in the ER. So the p.o.s. governor gets the primo, sucks to be serfs, Lord of the Land treatment while not even in danger, while others die who can't get it because no hospital beds. I would like to volunteer him for a one way trip to Mars.

Regeneron does not cost the patient anything. Also, it is only indicated for certain patients. Not every person with Covid is a candidate for regeneron. It is being used at infusion centers in TX to keep patients OUT of hospitals.

• Like 2

Yes, he is rabidly against any precautions. He also has had a booster shot, something not available to the rest of the public yet, and thought asymptomatic, has been given regeneron antibody treatment, something also rationed among the general public and very costly. Dh's brother couldn't get retention just a couple of months ago when he had, and he spent many, many hours in the ER. So the p.o.s. governor gets the primo, sucks to be serfs, Lord of the Land treatment while not even in danger, while others die who can't get it because no hospital beds. I would like to volunteer him for a one way trip to Mars.

Please don't do this.  We already have a global pandemic.  We don't need to spread COVID to the rest of the galaxy.  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, calbear said:

Currently, I am down with a stomach virus. Covid was ruled with a PCR test. I am isolating away from the family because we don't need everyone to catch this. I caught it from speaking to a vax'd friend outside my house socially distanced for 10 minutes unmasked. I know this was it because when I mentioned I was sick and had vomiting, she mentioned that she caught a stomach virus and was sick the day after she came by. I hadn't had any other contact with people unmasked.

Yikes. Stomach bugs are such a pain. You didn't touch anything she touched, did you? Because stomach bugs do spread through surfaces quite well. DD5 had just had one, too.

1 hour ago, calbear said:

Any chance you’ve both picked it up from food from the same grocery store or something?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, calbear said:

Stomach virus are spread primarily through the fecal oral route. You touch something contaminated and then touch your face or mouth. They are very contagious but not airborne—unless you are standing over the toilet and flushing the contents. It spreads that way, too. 

Stomach virus is the only thing I’ve caught during this pandemic in spite of all my cautiousness. Interestingly, no one else caught it from me—including my 20 year old dd who had to clean up after me when I didn’t make it to the toilet! 😢 She surely had some prior immunity.

Alcohol based sanitizers do not kill norovirus. 

I hope you are feeling better. I loathe the tummy bugs.

eta: I also got tested for COVID at the time and it was negative.

Edited by popmom

On 8/16/2021 at 1:13 PM, ktgrok said:

So, I just checked - CVS, which used to be able to get you in for a test the same day, now the soonest availabilty (and I checked the 5 closest locations, so within 30 minute drive one way) is on Thursday afternoon! It is Monday 8am right now, as I'm checking. That's pointless, really...if you need a test, you can't wait 4 days!

And our drive up testing place has hours long wait, in your car, backed around the park, out onto the highway, and down the next side street. 

Most places are sold out of the Binax tests.

Which means probably MOST people with symptoms not bad enough to seek hospital care are not being tested...and yet we STILL have record cases. That's terrifying. 

I've been on a Covid news break for a couple of days, so lots of responses in one place.

Here I can get free Lateral Flow tests either by post or by picking them up at the testing centre fifteen minutes away. That centre has no queue but the university students aren't back yet.....

On 8/16/2021 at 1:43 PM, Spryte said:

On the Binax tests, we too have a stack in the house, but it’s annoying that our results won’t be factored into the local positivity rate.  

I can scan a QR code and report the result of home testing but there's no compulsion. I suspect most people don't report negatives.  Not sure about positives. 

On 8/16/2021 at 3:40 PM, mommyoffive said:

Just saw this.

COVID-19 Indoor Safety Guideline (indoor-covid-safety.herokuapp.com)

Help with figuring out risks in classrooms

The University where I work has installed CO2 monitors in all the classrooms.  We shall see. 

On 8/16/2021 at 8:31 PM, Not_a_Number said:

I've been watching the UK numbers. Frankly, it's not at ALL obvious to me that things will keep going down, given that schools are starting up with no mitigation in lots of places. The graph of connections has gotten very, very connected... 

Schools in Scotland start this week. England is later. Universities later still. I'm not optimistic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

On the act now site, my county dropped from 4 available ICU beds to 2. But not for taking 2 new patients. The number of overall beds just dropped. Staffing, I guess? I don’t know. I’m not mentally prepared to check.

Probably staffing. Our dear friend who is a doctor in Chicago says nurses are quitting, lots of them. They have had enough. Our niece in law, an EKG and lab tech just quit the medical profession. She has absolutely loved human medicine, but being spit on by anti-vaxers and anti-maskers in the parking lot of her clinic and a death threat for volunteering at a vaccine clinic pushed her over the edge. She is taking a break and using some savings so she can decompress, and then is considering veterinary school instead of working her way to finish her BSRN.

I am so glad we left 4H, retired from the rocket team after the 2019/20 season ended.

I think this country is headed to a world of hurting it never imagined because of these kinds of people and the evil they follow. We are going to lose HCW's, teachers, retail workers, childcare workers, and volunteers in droves. 

My sister says they are having a lot of trouble in France because Q Anon has a big following there, especially in Paris, lots of similar crazy. Ugh!

• Sad 12

11 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Well, I guess I am just going to come out and say it. His staff appears to be walking brain stems. Higher function is just not happening. It is like an episode of Walking Dead!

I think zombies are more logical, or at least better at self preservation. Less contagious too. 

10 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes, he is rabidly against any precautions. He also has had a booster shot, something not available to the rest of the public yet, and though asymptomatic, has been given regeneron antibody treatment, something also rationed among the general public and very costly. Dh's brother couldn't get regeneron just a couple of months ago when he had, and he spent many, many hours in the ER. So the p.o.s. governor gets the primo, sucks to be serfs, Lord of the Land treatment while not even in danger, while others die who can't get it because no hospital beds. I would like to volunteer him for a one way trip to Mars.

It's feeling very pre French Revolution...

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, calbear said:

You might want to get another test. My vaxxed friend was exposed to Covid, tested negative, then had another test 8 days after exposure and tested positive. All symptoms were gastrointestinal related. 

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

You might want to get another test. My vaxxed friend was exposed to Covid, tested negative, then had another test 8 days after exposure and tested positive. All symptoms were gastrointestinal related. 

Was your friend who tested symptomatic when they got the first negative test? My brother and his wife both have had fever and fatigue for a couple of days,  and both just tested negative with PCR. I'm wondering if I should suggest they retest, or if it's unlikely they both got false negatives when already symptomatic?  Both are vaxxed, one Moderna,  the other J&J.

16 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

Hmmmm. DD5 had a stomach bug last week. I tested her and myself (just in case) right near the beginning, and there was nothing there... do you think we should test again? We don't have any exposure we know of. 

9 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Was your friend who tested symptomatic when they got the first negative test? My brother and his wife both have had fever and fatigue for a couple of days,  and both just tested negative with PCR. I'm wondering if I should suggest they retest, or if it's unlikely they both got false negatives when already symptomatic?  Both are vaxxed, one Moderna,  the other J&J.

I don't believe she was symptomatic, but I'm not 100% sure on that. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Hmmmm. DD5 had a stomach bug last week. I tested her and myself (just in case) right near the beginning, and there was nothing there... do you think we should test again? We don't have any exposure we know of. 

I suppose you could, but then again, if your symptoms are gone you may not be contagious anymore, so what would it accomplish?

11 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Ok, to be fair, I agree with you about his treatments, however, he is not against precautions. He urges people to get vaccinated.  However, he doesn't believe it should be mandated.  I think he SHOULD mandate it.  I think he is an idiot.  But as I said, some of the people running against him are against vaccinated.   Anyway, I just wanted to clarify this.

49 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

My SIL had Covid back in (IIRC) late January/early February. Her only initial symptoms were nausea and vomiting. When she first went to the doc the PA didn't test her because she didn't have any of the classic Covid symptoms. He gave her a prescription for Zofran, which didn't really help. Then a few days later she lost her sense of smell, got tested and was positive. The nausea and vomiting remained her main symptoms.

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

My SIL had Covid back in (IIRC) late January/early February. Her only initial symptoms were nausea and vomiting. When she first went to the doc the PA didn't test her because she didn't have any of the classic Covid symptoms. He gave her a prescription for Zofran, which didn't really help. Then a few days later she lost her sense of smell, got tested and was positive. The nausea and vomiting remained her main symptoms.

Interesting. This kind of thing makes me paranoid, I gotta say.

38 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Anecdotal but when DH was sick a couple of weeks ago, he had two negative COVID tests. I checked in my brother who is a hospitalist in Oklahoma so he's seen lots of COVID. He said that it's very uncommon to have a false negative once you have respiratory symptoms. 

However, there are many false negatives for people who are asymptomatic. 

Thanks, that's helpful to know.  I hear a lot about false negatives, but it does seem more unlikely that they'd both get false negative PCRs after already having symptoms (though they don't seem to be respiratory, more fever/fatigue.  Db said he slept most of one day).

• Like 1

Probably staffing. Our dear friend who is a doctor in Chicago says nurses are quitting, lots of them. They have had enough. Our niece in law, an EKG and lab tech just quit the medical profession. She has absolutely loved human medicine, but being spit on by anti-vaxers and anti-maskers in the parking lot of her clinic and a death threat for volunteering at a vaccine clinic pushed her over the edge. She is taking a break and using some savings so she can decompress, and then is considering veterinary school instead of working her way to finish her BSRN.

I am so glad we left 4H, retired from the rocket team after the 2019/20 season ended.

I think this country is headed to a world of hurting it never imagined because of these kinds of people and the evil they follow. We are going to lose HCW's, teachers, retail workers, childcare workers, and volunteers in droves. 

My sister says they are having a lot of trouble in France because Q Anon has a big following there, especially in Paris, lots of similar crazy. Ugh!

We had six nurses quit the ER in the last 48 hours because they refuse to be vaccinated, which is now  required for health care workers in NY.  Honestly there’s just no winning for anyone.

• Sad 10

On bad things to come... I don’t actually want to talk about my fears yet. I’m still almost, but not fully, ignoring them. Definitely exerting as much control as I can over the things I can, and that’s nerve wracking enough for most of the minutes in my day, lol. But I sense it all right over my shoulder.

As a whole, we are not adapting to reality. Everyone for themselves has never fixed anything.

• Like 7
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Anecdotal but when DH was sick a couple of weeks ago, he had two negative COVID tests. I checked in my brother who is a hospitalist in Oklahoma so he's seen lots of COVID. He said that it's very uncommon to have a false negative once you have respiratory symptoms. 

However, there are many false negatives for people who are asymptomatic. 

So, I started having cold symptoms last night (on top of my normal perpetual allergy sorts of symptoms)--chills, temp a little higher than my normal (I run low and inconsistent), a little coughing (but seemed to be from the drainage), etc. Tested. It's negative. Will test again if symptoms persist, especially if someone else gets symptoms in the house.

No known exposure, but DH works, older DS goes to school for 2.5 hours with unmasked kids (he's masked, big huge door open, tall ceilings), and we still have face-to-face tutoring (we mask, in an office) with a vaccinated tutor. 

When we read the testing paperwork (rapid test, lateral flow(?)), it said that biotin supplementation can cause a false negative. I have looked up more information on this, but I can only find that it interferes with a number of lab tests. Biotin is in my daily multi and is most multi-vitamins. I also take an extra B supplement a day or two per week because I have some indirect labwork that suggests I might be deficient (and we have familial issues with B 12).

I might be skipping my vitamin for a couple of days while waiting to see if symptoms persist. 

This is frustrating. I don't know whether to isolate, etc. I can't imagine how I got a cold from anyone with masking everywhere. Sigh.

Edited by kbutton
Added type of test to the narrative
  • Sad 11

19 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I almost threw up when I read this.

Unf….ing disgusting excuses for human beings. 

I've been seriously nauseated a few times a week from the news. It's terrible. 

4 minutes ago, kbutton said:

So, I started having cold symptoms last night (on top of my normal perpetual allergy sorts of symptoms)--chills, temp a little higher than my normal (I run low and inconsistent), a little coughing (but seemed to be from the drainage), etc. Tested. It's negative. Will test again if symptoms persist, especially if someone else gets symptoms in the house.

No known exposure, but DH works, older DS goes to school for 2.5 hours with unmasked kids (he's masked, big huge door open, tall ceilings), and we still have face-to-face tutoring (we mask, in an office) with a vaccinated tutor. 

When we read the testing paperwork, it said that biotin supplementation can cause a false negative. I have looked up more information on this, but I can only find that it interferes with a number of lab tests. Biotin is in my daily multi and is most multi-vitamins. I also take an extra B supplement a day or two per week because I have some indirect labwork that suggests I might be deficient (and we have familial issues with B 12).

I might be skipping my vitamin for a couple of days while waiting to see if symptoms persist. 

This is frustrating. I don't know whether to isolate, etc. I can't imagine how I got a cold from anyone with masking everywhere. Sigh.

Ugh. Probably sinus infection , I'm borderline myself again...darned ragweed and grass pollen are terrible right now here and I mowed the lawn on Monday night, yesterday, tuesday, I was MISERABLE with fatigue, some chills, run down, sinuses were bad, etc. Took mucinex in addition to my normal allergy meds, and some sudafed, and went to bed early. feel better today...try adding mucinex daily for a while - it thins the secretions which will prevent secondary stuff like sinus infection or maybe help with covid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kbutton said:

When we read the testing paperwork, it said that biotin supplementation can cause a false negative. I have looked up more information on this, but I can only find that it interferes with a number of lab tests. Biotin is in my daily multi and is most multi-vitamins. I also take an extra B supplement a day or two per week because I have some indirect labwork that suggests I might be deficient (and we have familial issues with B 12).

Oh that is news to me.  I haven't heard that.  I need to look at our vitamins just to check.

19 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I am struggling to understand this. In your work with ER staff, have you heard anyone give actual logical reasons for not accepting a vaccination?

We have some in our department.  None of the reasons are logical to me. All the same reasons for vaccine hesitancy as in the general population (HCW, of course, are regular people too)..  Mostly fear: fear of something new, fear based on misinformation (including conspiracy types), fear based on ignorance (of how vaccines work, ie worried about their DNA).  A few crunchy types who don't believe in vaccines at all.  Some head-in-the-sand believing that they won't get sick because they're young and healthy and don't have risk factors.  Some worried about vaccine complications or side effects.

Vaccine uptake definitely correlates with level of education here:  All MD's in my group are vaxed, at the earliest possible opportunity.  

Edited by wathe
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I've been seriously nauseated a few times a week from the news. It's terrible. 

Ugh. Probably sinus infection , I'm borderline myself again...darned ragweed and grass pollen are terrible right now here and I mowed the lawn on Monday night, yesterday, tuesday, I was MISERABLE with fatigue, some chills, run down, sinuses were bad, etc. Took mucinex in addition to my normal allergy meds, and some sudafed, and went to bed early. feel better today...try adding mucinex daily for a while - it thins the secretions which will prevent secondary stuff like sinus infection or maybe help with covid. 

I am not prone to sinus infections (or colds), but it could be that I am fighting one off. I did have kind of a funny taste like a sinus infection, but it didn't last long. I know that several times a year, I have an episode like this, and then I am fine. Just one night of suddenly feeling pretty bad, and then I am fine, maybe slightly run down for a couple of days, unless I really do have a cold, and that can be three days or three weeks. Usually not in between, lol!!! 

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh that is news to me.  I haven't heard that.  I need to look at our vitamins just to check.

It might be test-specific information. This was a rapid test (lateral flow?). 

• Like 1

How CDC data problems put the U.S. behind on the delta variant (msn.com)

ARGHGHGHGH.  Can I scream in here?  Gosh I am so dang frustrated.  I don't have a science or math background.  I am just a normal person who is trying to keep myself and family safe.  I was leaning on the CDC and WHO to keep me update with all the info that I needed in a situation like this.  I have been so let down with the CDC that I don't trust them anymore at all. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

ARGHGHGHGH.  Can I scream in here?  Gosh I am so dang frustrated.  I don't have a science or math background.  I am just a normal person who is trying to keep myself and family safe.  I was leaning on the CDC and WHO to keep me update with all the info that I needed in a situation like this.  I have been so let down with the CDC that I don't trust them anymore at all. 

I've been using this board to stay on top of the data 😛 . It's WAY better than trying to listen to the CDC. They have been slow, not at all agile, and often frankly hilariously wrong. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It’s not that I don’t trust them but they have been very, very wrong on the messaging, a PR nightmare. Watching it has been painful.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

It’s not that I don’t trust them but they have been very, very wrong on the messaging, a PR nightmare. Watching it has been painful.

They've also been way too cautious about making conclusions. Being careful and scrupulous with the data is a GREAT idea when there's no emergency. It's a TERRIBLE idea in the middle of a fast-moving pandemic. That's when you should take a broad view, doing your best with incomplete data... 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

We had six nurses quit the ER in the last 48 hours because they refuse to be vaccinated, which is now  required for health care workers in NY.  Honestly there’s just no winning for anyone.

There's been a protest in a city near me along these lines.  They quoted one protestor who said he has already had Covid and wants to decide on his own timeline whether or not to get vaxed.  Apparently there is no exception for people who have natural immunity.

Oh my gosh! This is just beyond the pale! It is going to be an apocalypse. I weep. It just hurts so much!

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I come to this board! So ya, when this forum has better and more accurate information than the damn CDC, we are all in a world of hurting! Thank heaven I was lurking here through the pandemic before actually coming back to post. Those Jan and Feb 2020 threads helped me prepare!

• Like 7

I have someone close to me that is not a nurse, but has direct patient contact and will be doing the same thing once a mandate comes through.  I refuse to discuss vaccines at this point though...for my sanity. 

• Sad 1

I think for many people that as an excuse, and they will switch excuses at that time.

A lot of people just flat out don’t want to do it, but they say whatever is currently the most acceptable reason to give.  

I think it is a sensible reason in some ways, but I think a lot of people giving it are not really sensible on this issue and won’t say “okay, now that the FDA approval is here, I will be vaccinated.”

I would be happy to be proven wrong, though.  

• Like 12

If you are locking down, what is your end game?  Do you have younger kids and just want to get them vaccinated and then will stop locking down?  Waiting for this surge to be over?  Do you think you are going to be avoiding Delta?  

I am asking just because I need to figure out my end game if there is one.  I think I have come to the point where I think we can't avoid Delta.  I don't want it.  But I also don't want to lockdown again.  At least to the extreme we did before.  Although if things get a lot worse I know I will.  Things are bad, but not at where they were last winter yet.

Although my thoughts might change if our email last night turns leads us to having Covid.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2