Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

Those of you in hard to test areas (which mine is becoming - some cities it is days to get a test at Walgreens/CVS and the drive up free county one has a wait that is several hours long - please order a few Binax tests to keep at home if you can afford to do so. Having them gives me some peace of mind. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, HeartString said:

Arkansas is the same way. 3 hour wait times at the only place within an hours drive to get tested, so most people aren’t bothering unless they have to.  Lots of stories of people being refused tests even if they have symptoms. And 0 masking. Seriously I didn’t see 1 person masking the whole time I was there.   The whole state has their head so far in the sand…
Where as in VA I have multiple ways to get tested within 10 minutes of my house, most would take less time than a doctors appointment, none require symptoms. 

Here, I think the pharmacies and urgent cares have tests. It’s all really easy.

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Those of you in hard to test areas (which mine is becoming - some cities it is days to get a test at Walgreens/CVS and the drive up free county one has a wait that is several hours long - please order a few Binax tests to keep at home if you can afford to do so. Having them gives me some peace of mind. 

Yeah, I did that, too. Just used one on DD5 with her stomach bug.

So, I just checked - CVS, which used to be able to get you in for a test the same day, now the soonest availabilty (and I checked the 5 closest locations, so within 30 minute drive one way) is on Thursday afternoon! It is Monday 8am right now, as I'm checking. That's pointless, really...if you need a test, you can't wait 4 days!

And our drive up testing place has hours long wait, in your car, backed around the park, out onto the highway, and down the next side street. 

Most places are sold out of the Binax tests.

Which means probably MOST people with symptoms not bad enough to seek hospital care are not being tested...and yet we STILL have record cases. That's terrifying. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So, I just checked - CVS, which used to be able to get you in for a test the same day, now the soonest availabilty (and I checked the 5 closest locations, so within 30 minute drive one way) is on Thursday afternoon! It is Monday 8am right now, as I'm checking. That's pointless, really...if you need a test, you can't wait 4 days!

And our drive up testing place has hours long wait, in your car, backed around the park, out onto the highway, and down the next side street. 

Most places are sold out of the Binax tests.

Which means probably MOST people with symptoms not bad enough to seek hospital care are not being tested...and yet we STILL have record cases. That's terrifying. 

There are probably lots of people like us who’ve stocked up, though.

47 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Aren’t there some people who are worried?? No??

Sure, but trying to get binax tests has been hard for a while. The number of people that have managed to order online and had the money to stockpile some? That's a drop in the bucket I think. Plus their tests don't count into the totals...so again, our crazy totals are artificially low. Lack of testing, plus home testing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I tried to grab one to keep on hand but my store was sold out. I’m guessing they are gaining popularity. 

4 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I tried to grab one to keep on hand but my store was sold out. I’m guessing they are gaining popularity. 

To get one a few weeks ago when DS had symptoms I had to go to multiple pharmacies. All said they were in stock in the website, but two had sold out, and one had none on the shelf but the worker told me they'd just got more in and they were still in a box behind the counter. He grabbed two for me. He said they sell out as quickly as they go on the shelf. 

And had I been the sick one, driving from pharmacy to pharmacy to go in and look for a test would not be a great idea. and impossible if I was very sick. 

Basically, if you are in my area, (or much of Florida, friend in Palm Beach County is having the same issue) either you pay for a doctor visit (many without insurance can't, and again that assumes you have a regular doctor you can get in to see quickly), try urgent care - again - have to pay for a visit and yesterday my friend tried two and they were both out of tests! - or wait for hours in your car on the side of the road (requires a car, required enough gas, requires that amount of time to wait...not something someone with vomiting is going to be able to do) or you hope you already stockpiled Binax tests. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

To get one a few weeks ago when DS had symptoms I had to go to multiple pharmacies. All said they were in stock in the website, but two had sold out, and one had none on the shelf but the worker told me they'd just got more in and they were still in a box behind the counter. He grabbed two for me. He said they sell out as quickly as they go on the shelf. 

And had I been the sick one, driving from pharmacy to pharmacy to go in and look for a test would not be a great idea. and impossible if I was very sick. 

Dh changed plans and has an appt for dd with her pediatrician today. All the Walmarts here are sold out of the tests but you can order online. I don’t know about the other pharmacies. 

5 hours ago, popmom said:

I’d rather that done than a swab for strep throat. 

Not me lol I have had that test but at least it didn’t touch my brain. A low nose Covid test I would take over the strep test, though 

Edited by heartlikealion

6 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Dh changed plans and has an appt for dd with her pediatrician today. All the Walmarts here are sold out of the tests but you can order online. I don’t know about the other pharmacies. 

Not me lol I have had that test but at least it didn’t touch my brain. A low nose Covid test I would take over the strep test, though 

Yup - two weeks ago after I realized how hard it was to find them in store I ordered more from Walmart. I got two boxes delivered overnight. Realized I should get more cause family of 6, lol, and went on the website to order more. Went from overnight to taking 5 days, then took longer than that - I think it was 7 days. Then, later I checked back during the week thinking maybe i"d ordered wrong and would cancel/reorder to get the overnight shipping and they were sold out entirely. 

Which reminds me, I should order more. I have two boxes, but that's 4 tests and there are 6 of us...although DS I'm not worried about now that he's had the virus AND been vaccinated. We figure he's super immune for right now, lol. Still ideally you test twice, so that's not enough. I hate spending the money when tests are supposedly free...but if you can't get one for 4-5 days...that's pointless. Ugh. 

And churches are having back to school breakfasts, small group indoor restaurant dining, mask optional services. You KNOW they are not testing if they have mild symptoms (and right now with the pollen count we all have mild symptoms all the time, lol) given the testing situation. UGH!!!

• Like 1

These pockets where testing is not available is really troubling.  And that would be something the federal government could do to help -- set up FEMA testing alongside the FEMA vaccination sites, or at post offices for heavens sake.  There's no good reason, at this point, why testing should be hard; and a long list of good reasons why testing should be easily and cheaply/ freely available.

In the VERY BEGINNING of all this, March-April 2020, tests were constrained in my area (I understand that the gating factor in those days was labwork, not the tests themselves. Other than sick people showing up at hospitals, testing was only available in hospital-run drive-in parking lot lines, by appointment, with a doctor referral due to symptoms or known contact).

But since ~June 2020, we've had an ample range of choices:

• Community health centers (state-funded), doing PCR, no referral, walk-in (these have been heavily availed of by employees whose employers required weekly testing; there've been times when the lines have grown really, really long):  $0
  • Hospital network test sites (insurance-subsidized), doing PCR, appointment with referral, walk-in without, $co-pay
  • Private test sites, including one at the Catholic K-8 school in my town, PCR or rapid antigen, appointment without referral, $100
  • My own primary care physician, PCR or rapid antigen; we can self-refer for any reason (like I want to see my mother and just want to check) the rapid antigen or can self-refer to the PCR if we have symptoms or known contact, $covered by insurance

Until our second surge last winter (which unlike most of the country was not as bad as our original March-April 2020 surge) I was using the community health center; and until that surge never waited more than an hour or so.  Lines got 8+ hours before the holidays and we started doing the rapid at our primary care ... but I've heard that the community health is back to normal times so if I need to do it now I'd go back there.

• Like 2

State of Affairs: August 16, 2021 - by Katelyn Jetelina - Your Local Epidemiologist (substack.com)

In the States, Louisiana (126 per 100,000), Mississippi (110 per 100,000) and Florida (101 per 100,000) continue to lead the pandemic and reporting more cases than at any previous point during the pandemic. South Dakota has the steepest increase in cases (331%- looking at you Sturgis bike rally). The West is also making me a bit nervous, with a noticeable increase in hotspots across Oregon and Washington. Washington state has a 133% increase in cases, ranking it as a the third highest case acceleration in the United States.

A few states have peaked- Nevada, Missouri, and Arkansas. I’m hoping this trend continues.

The CDC transmission map is no longer useful as almost every state is red (i.e. high transmission). The county-level map is not fantastic at differentiating either. Basically, COVID19 is a threat everywhere. (Note: Nebraska shut down their COVID dashboard at the end of June, so all the “blue” isn’t the “true” situation in Nebraska.)

Last week I was hopeful that our national peak was soon because test positivity rate (TPR) started to decrease. Unfortunately, I jinxed it. TPR is increasing again. A change in behavior- like schools starting- could explain this dramatic turn of events.

Hospitals in the South are clearly overwhelmed. Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas are hitting record hospitalization rates. There is just no room in ICU’s across Texas.

Before vaccines, an increase in cases and hospitalizations came with an increase in deaths. After vaccines, deaths are only slowly increasing on a national level, which is fantastic news.

Unfortunately, on a state level, this isn’t necessarily the case. For example, the Nevada death rate has increased at the same rate as case increases. Florida just recently changed reporting procedures creating an artificial decrease in deaths. The true death rate continues to increase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Just saw this.

COVID-19 Indoor Safety Guideline (indoor-covid-safety.herokuapp.com)

Help with figuring out risks in classrooms

Yeah, put in info for local elementary school where class sizes are 20 or more:

To limit COVID-19 transmission* after an infected person enters this space, there should be no more than:

2 people for 3 hours

5 people for 52 minutes

10 people for 28 minutes

In contrast, the six-foot (or two-meter) rule would limit occupancy to 5 people which would violate the guideline* after 52 minutes.

• Sad 2

Forget Beating Covid-19. Europe Is Preparing to Live With It. (msn.com)

Countries including France and Italy are also increasingly making vaccination, recent recovery from the disease or a recent negative test a prerequisite for daily activities. French restaurateurs who don’t check customers risk fines of up to 9,000 euros, equivalent to around $10,600, and a year in prison.

Wow, that is really steep.  I understand it is the staff's job to check, but I feel like the person who is trying to "sneak in" should get the fine not the business. 

Edited by mommyoffive

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, put in info for local elementary school where class sizes are 20 or more:

To limit COVID-19 transmission* after an infected person enters this space, there should be no more than:

2 people for 3 hours

5 people for 52 minutes

10 people for 28 minutes

In contrast, the six-foot (or two-meter) rule would limit occupancy to 5 people which would violate the guideline* after 52 minutes.

Is that masked or unmasked?

6 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Saw this on Twitter. Guess they're saying the quiet parts out loud now. ETA clarification for the non-Oklahomans. Broken Arrow is a suburb of Tulsa. 

And how much do you want to bet that the person who said that is "pro-life?" 

I just can't comprehend. Morals have gone entirely out the window. People like are sociopaths and should.be treated as such!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Saw this on Twitter. Guess they're saying the quiet parts out loud now. 

Ugh. My SIL teaches preschool in Broken Arrow. 
I'd bet anything she is unvaccinated and doesn’t believe in masking. 
She would definitely consider herself “pro life”. 

• Sad 8

10 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

These pockets where testing is not available is really troubling.  And that would be something the federal government could do to help -- set up FEMA testing alongside the FEMA vaccination sites, or at post offices for heavens sake.  .

The one with the hours long wait is set up alongside a vaccination clinic run by the health department. 

49 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Saw this on Twitter. Guess they're saying the quiet parts out loud now. ETA clarification for the non-Oklahomans. Broken Arrow is a suburb of Tulsa. 

Yikes, someone actually said that at a school board meeting? 

26 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Yikes, someone actually said that at a school board meeting? 

Sadly, not surprising in Broken Arrow, or any part of Oklahoma really. 😞 

When my in-laws —who live in Tulsa— were here last month, they were appalled that we mask (and that many shops require it around town), that we don’t dine indoors, and that when we say we take precautions we actually mean it. They refused to mask anywhere (🤬) and made a big fuss. 

I'm 100% certain they would be against masking in schools, even though they have a grandkid in public school there. There’s no convincing them that COVID is not just a cold. 

• Sad 5

6 minutes ago, MEmama said:

When my in-laws —who live in Tulsa— were here last month, they were appalled that we mask (and that many shops require it around town), that we don’t dine indoors, and that when we say we take precautions we actually mean it. They refused to mask anywhere (🤬) and made a big fuss. 

Oh geez. I bet that put you over the edge. Did they get vaccinated?

31 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Yes, but only because we wouldn’t let them visit if they didn’t. No vax, no seeing your grandkids. They absolutely wouldn’t have otherwise.

Wow! In that case, if they really had serious fears about the vaccine, they would have just decided not to visit, right? Makes me wonder how strongly held these vax opinions really are. In any case, good for you for sticking with your boundaries. Plus you convinced two people to get vaccinated, so they're more protected now 👍

• Like 2

Pam in CT — skipping to the bottom here.

I don’t think the state of Oklahoma wants to have FEMA come in.  

The governor is stubborn this way.  And he is not unpopular!

There are things that could be better, but there is a will to obstruct things because there is not a belief that things are needed.  There is a belief that things are overblown and should be resisted (or are appropriate to resist).

Edit:  to be clear — I am horrified.  But a lot of federal things are by invitation only from states, and I don’t think there is an invitation because it’s not welcome.  

I think there is an extreme “head in the sand” thing going here.  

Edit:  I don’t think there is a conspiracy to  not have enough testing.  I think there is a lack of will to make sure there is enough testing.

Edited by Lecka
  • Sad 3

Headline is that hospitalizations dropped...but it turns out one less hospital reported, so the "drop" was by 0.2 patients per hospital. Hardly headline worthy. Meanwhile, half our ICU beds are now Covid patients. 

the average COVID-19 patients per hospital inched lower to 62.2 from 62.4.

But a negative trend continued, with the number of COVID-19 patients in intensive care units rising. Those patients now account for over half of the state’s ICU bed usage, reaching 50.1% on Sunday.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253512184.html

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I will say, at this point I don't expect our case numbers to rise anymore, as we are out of tests. We can't test more people than we already are, lots of people can't get tested...yeah. 

So really one can only follow positivity anymore. And hospitalizations… 

I see that the anti-vaxxing ultra-conservative Catholic Cardinal Raymond Burke, who pushed all sort of Covid conspiracy theory malarky including quoting sources who claimed the vaccines have a chip that allow recipients to "be controlled by the state regarding health and about other matters which we can only imagine" is now on a ventilator.

They are saying the rosary for him.

Bill

• Sad 4

Just read this in a Kiplinger newsletter.  I would like to see more information on this.  

Delta infections have peaked in Missouri and Arkansas, the first two states to experience a surge of the variant COVID-19 infections. The peaks came roughly seven-to-eight weeks after these states saw their first increase in infection rates. Given this timetable, infections should be peaking next in Louisiana and Florida in one-to-two weeks. The next question is how quickly infection rates will come down after the peak. Infection rates initially declined rapidly after their peaks last winter, but the pace of decline slowed later. The same is proving true in the U.K., which saw its peak from Delta occur a month ago. This basic pattern is also being confirmed in Missouri’s southwest counties, the area with the first Delta surge in the U.S., which also peaked a month ago.

• Like 5

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Just read this in a Kiplinger newsletter.  I would like to see more information on this.  

Delta infections have peaked in Missouri and Arkansas, the first two states to experience a surge of the variant COVID-19 infections. The peaks came roughly seven-to-eight weeks after these states saw their first increase in infection rates. Given this timetable, infections should be peaking next in Louisiana and Florida in one-to-two weeks. The next question is how quickly infection rates will come down after the peak. Infection rates initially declined rapidly after their peaks last winter, but the pace of decline slowed later. The same is proving true in the U.K., which saw its peak from Delta occur a month ago. This basic pattern is also being confirmed in Missouri’s southwest counties, the area with the first Delta surge in the U.S., which also peaked a month ago.

I've been watching the UK numbers. Frankly, it's not at ALL obvious to me that things will keep going down, given that schools are starting up with no mitigation in lots of places. The graph of connections has gotten very, very connected... 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Seriously??!?!?!? 

the pediatrician’s office used long nose swabs for the test. Dd (age 6) just had two up the nose and one in the throat. She tested positive for BOTH Covid and strep. They are starting to see those cases this week. Ds can’t get tested they said (no symptoms and can’t do much at his age anyway. Told him to take ibuprofen if he feels bad). Dh is trying to get a test at Walgreens for himself (he said it’s another kind of test and may take 3 days). 

dd got a massive shot of antibiotics for the strep. Last time the shot wasn’t as deep dh said. Poor baby!! She fell asleep in the car. I pray it’s not sore when she wakes up. 

I was supposed to get the kids on Friday but they will be in quarantine so I’ll just wait. They will all probably need to stay home approx 10 days. I’ve offered to drop off things on the front stoop if they need something. 

My dad is not taking enough precautions in my mind. I’m glad he didn’t see dd this visit. We found out she was showing signs of sickness the day he was going to see her. I suppose you could interpret that either way (fearful for him, fearful for her). 

I pray that the school year is easier from this point forward. Ugh. Ds got his vaccine Sat? He was kinda sluggish and had a sore arm on Sunday. But overall I think he’s ok. 

there's no way of knowing but I totally blame this on school. People are way too careless with Covid precautions on campus. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Sad 34

27 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Seriously??!?!?!? 

the pediatrician’s office used long nose swabs for the test. Dd (age 6) just had two up the nose and one in the throat. She tested positive for BOTH Covid and strep. They are starting to see those cases this week. Ds can’t get tested they said (no symptoms and can’t do much at his age anyway. Told him to take ibuprofen if he feels bad). Dh is trying to get a test at Walgreens for himself (he said it’s another kind of test and may take 3 days). 

dd got a massive shot of antibiotics for the strep. Last time the shot wasn’t as deep dh said. Poor baby!! She fell asleep in the car. I pray it’s not sore when she wakes up. 

I was supposed to get the kids on Friday but they will be in quarantine so I’ll just wait. They will all probably need to stay home approx 10 days. I’ve offered to drop off things on the front stoop if they need something. 

My dad is not taking enough precautions in my mind. I’m glad he didn’t see dd this visit. We found out she was showing signs of sickness the day he was going to see her. I suppose you could interpret that either way (fearful for him, fearful for her). 

I pray that the school year is easier from this point forward. Ugh. Ds got his vaccine Sat? He was kinda sluggish and had a sore arm on Sunday. But overall I think he’s ok. 

there's no way of knowing but I totally blame this on school. People are way too careless with Covid precautions on campus. 

I’m so sorry, hope your little dd feels better soon 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Seriously??!?!?!? 

Oh now, I am so sorry.  I am sending lots of good thoughts her way and hope she feels better soon and has a mild case of both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1