Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

Gosh, I don't know. This are at an all time high in my state right now and I'm not fully vaccinated. I just got my first dose Monday. But my bigger concern is bringing it around dd (too young for vaccine). 

I am more or less a recovering germaphobe so I don't know if that helps at all. I'm very careful to avoid touching my mask or use hand sanitizer. Clean my hands before eating (seems like a no brainer but when we go through a drive thru I tell the kids to put on hand sanitizer before they eat). I don't really know how much control we actually have over any of this. I am always curious if we had a hidden camera show would we see different behaviors by those exposed vs not exposed (not in every single instance, but in many). I think back to the Myth Busters episode with the fake germs and they use a blacklight. I have been fortunate that I don't have to leave my house daily and do most of my work from home, but I do go out in public.  

Things are continuing to get worse in my state. From a local paper compiling different reports.

From a medical professional at Oregon Health & Science University: “Our hospitals are full. Patients are boarding and being cared for in emergency departments when they should be admitted to hospital beds. Our ICUs are full. Our doctors and nurses are exhausted and rightfully frustrated because this crisis is avoidable. It is like watching a train wreck coming and knowing that there’s an opportunity to switch tracks, yet we feel helpless while we watch unnecessary loss of life.”

From a hospital in Gold Beach in Curry County, as reported by the Curry Coastal Pilot: “When the capacity issues started rearing its ugly head, we were finding we had to transfer patients into Reno, Nevada because the hospitals here in Oregon just cannot accept any more patients.”

From Medford, as reported by ijpr.org: Jackson County "requested the state provide 219 staff to help with hospital shortages, as well as a 300-bed field hospital where medical centers can divert patients that don’t need critical care."

The state reported a record number of Covid cases on Thursday and a record number of people hospitalized with conditions serious enough to warrant admission – 670 people.

Edited by Frances
  • Sad 14

re universities testing all students in addition to requiring vaccination

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Stanford requires all their students to test regardless of vaccination status starting August 15th.

https://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/faqs-covid-19-screening-program-students

”COVID-19 Testing Program for All Undergraduates

Who Should Be Testing? 

Please note: Effective 8/1/21, in order to monitor the prevalence of COVID-19 at Stanford and keep campus as safe as possible, students living on campus or coming to campus will be required to register and test weekly using Color Genomics beginning August 15, regardless of vaccination status.”

Carnegie Mellon will be doing this as well (I dunno what Color Genomics is -- CM will be doing "pooled" testing and only run labs for the individuals if positives turn up in the pool -- is that similar to Color Genomics?).

My entering freshman was PCR tested 1x (fall) or 2x (spring) a week all year last year at her boarding school so it is truly NBD, at all, for her.  She's just really really relieved to be able to do IRL classes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Frances said:

Things are continuing to get worse in my state. From a local paper compiling different reports.

From a medical professional at Oregon Health & Science University: “Our hospitals are full. Patients are boarding and being cared for in emergency departments when they should be admitted to hospital beds. Our ICUs are full. Our doctors and nurses are exhausted and rightfully frustrated because this crisis is avoidable. It is like watching a train wreck coming and knowing that there’s an opportunity to switch tracks, yet we feel helpless while we watch unnecessary loss of life.”

From a hospital in Gold Beach in Curry County, as reported by the Curry Coastal Pilot: “When the capacity issues started rearing its ugly head, we were finding we had to transfer patients into Reno, Nevada because the hospitals here in Oregon just cannot accept any more patients.”

From Medford, as reported by ijpr.org: Jackson County "requested the state provide 219 staff to help with hospital shortages, as well as a 300-bed field hospital where medical centers can divert patients that don’t need critical care."

The state reported a record number of Covid cases on Thursday and a record number of people hospitalized with conditions serious enough to warrant admission – 670 people.

What’s the vaccination rate in your state?

21 minutes ago, Frances said:

Jackson County is a disaster — they have more cases in a county with a population of 88K than Multnomah and Washington counties (Portland metro, total population 1.4 million) combined. But Jackson has 52% of eligible vaxed, vs 72-75% for Multnomah and Washington, plus very different attitudes towards masking, distancing, etc. The counties where the case rates (per capita) are exploding are nearly all rural counties with lower vax rates and resistance to mask mandates, e.g. Josephine Cty has the highest per capita current case rate (759/100K in the last 7 days) and only 45% of eligible vaxed. 

• Sad 8

7 minutes ago, popmom said:

What’s the vaccination rate in your state?

56.6% of Oregon is fully vaccinated, but the rate varies a lot by county. Multnomah County, where Portland is seated, has 66% fully vaccinated and 72.3% with at least one dose. The counties surrounding Multnomah are similarly situated and yet the major hospital systems in Portland are on overload. This is in part due to the hospital bed shortage and staff shortage that exist generally, but the delta variant is hitting the unvaccinated especially hard.  Two weeks ago Oregon was seeing 600 new positives a day, now we're at 3200.  Stats are showing that some 90%+ of covid hospitalizations are for unvaccinated persons. 

Josephine County, which is a hot mess right now has only 39.1% fully vaccinated.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Jackson County is a disaster — they have more cases in a county with a population of 88K than Multnomah and Washington counties (Portland metro, total population 1.4 million) combined. But Jackson has 52% of eligible vaxed, vs 72-75% for Multnomah and Washington, plus very different attitudes towards masking, distancing, etc. The counties where the case rates (per capita) are exploding are nearly all rural counties with lower vax rates and resistance to mask mandates, e.g. Josephine Cty has the highest per capita current case rate (759/100K in the last 7 days) and only 45% of eligible vaxed. 

I’m in a middling county for vaccine rates, worse than the Portland metro area but better than the rural counties. We are purple, but all of our county commissioners are R. They are not happy about the Governor reinstating the indoor mask mandate and want control given back to them. But when they had control they did nothing. Multnomah in the Portland metro area was the only county to require indoor masking again when things started to go south. Thank goodness our Governor mandated masks for schools a few weeks ago, as one of our commissioners is also on the local school board. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

re universities testing all students in addition to requiring vaccination

Carnegie Mellon will be doing this as well (I dunno what Color Genomics is -- CM will be doing "pooled" testing and only run labs for the individuals if positives turn up in the pool -- is that similar to Color Genomics?).

My entering freshman was PCR tested 1x (fall) or 2x (spring) a week all year last year at her boarding school so it is truly NBD, at all, for her.  She's just really really relieved to be able to do IRL classes.

L's school is doing this as well. Weekly pooled testing through October, at least, along with vaccination and masking in classes and group settings. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

WRT to "opt outs" for mask requirements, did you guys see this? 

Tennessee mom goes viral after brilliantly explaining why optional masking won't work in schools

DD just started Catholic school. I wore a sweatshirt when I dropped DD off because my shoulders were showing and GOD FORBID a woman show her shoulders at school but masking is way too much to ask at school. 🙄

You were in the car and unless you were showing cleavage I doubt it registered on anyone’s radar. I go to Catholic Masses where I’m shocked at what some people wear (dress that barely covers the body). It’s too hot for a sweatshirt. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

WRT to "opt outs" for mask requirements, did you guys see this? 

Tennessee mom goes viral after brilliantly explaining why optional masking won't work in schools

DD just started Catholic school. I wore a sweatshirt when I dropped DD off because my shoulders were showing and GOD FORBID a woman show her shoulders at school but masking is way too much to ask at school. 🙄

Love that letter! I’ve just shared it with my local mom group of teen girls.

(And, oops, I nannied a kid while in college and did all the drop off/pick ups.  Never occurred to me that they hated my shorts and tanks?? In 100 degree weather?  That’s a thing? Oh well.  Kid’s family was firmly in the Great Spirit camp at that point, so he was already an oddball.)

Our small local area cases are just soaring.  In July we had about ten cases a day, up to 80+ per day now.  Testing positivity has been over 10% for a while now, so the local health dept is cautioning that cases are much higher than being reported. Such a huge jump, and school just started yesterday. It’s hard to imagine things heading back down quickly.

We had my mom’s aide in for 8 hours yesterday, and while she’s vaccinated, she did not mask.  I’m not feeling that we can cancel her comfortably, but I will start asking that she mask. We have more household helpers that come today. They mask.  And we keep the unvaxxed girl on another level, masked.

Other than those helpers that are due to elder care, we are hunkering down except for medical, as of today.  Our summer is officially over since most of our friends have kids in public school, and school is looking like it might be a Petri dish for a while here.  Ugh. This, right now, feels like a big loss.  It’s sooo much harder to tighten back up after having some (relative) freedom!

• Sad 8

11 minutes ago, Spryte said:

It’s sooo much harder to tighten back up after having some (relative) freedom!

I know, right?

I didn’t loosen up all that much for this reason. I really had no idea I’d be tempted to decrease playground outings ever again. I only allowed them because I figured they were now safe…

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I know, right?

I didn’t loosen up all that much for this reason. I really had no idea I’d be tempted to decrease playground outings ever again. I only allowed them because I figured they were now safe…

Well, one would think playgrounds are safe!  Grrrrrrr.

Earlier this week, we did a two night sleepover with DD’s vaxxed and fairly quarantined BFF, and a water play date.  Trying to squeeze it all in before school. Now that BFF’s siblings are in school, we’re back to virtual play dates.  I’m trying to plan some outside stuff they can do masked, but … Blech.

On another note, DH’s company’s well known broadcast partner has extended their lock down.  No one in the building except essential staff, no one on the news floor but journalists. All non-essential travel canceled.  But on the other end of the spectrum, his Munich office is like, “Vaccines!  We finally have Vaccines!  Party! Get together! Do All The Things! Wheeee!” … They are where we were last June, and can’t fathom locking down again.  (Sigh) 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Last year I wanted to read a bio on Bonhoeffer and picked up the book by Eric Metaxes that so many in my set have recommended. Imagine the jolt I felt, having read that, when I learned Metaxes was an instigator and leader of the Jan 6 capitol riot. That this man could not see the parallel between what happened pre-WW2, which he wrote about in detail, and his own actions… talk about cognitive dissonance. 

Unlike what I’ve seen pop up in this thread, my local school community amavax (there i made a new way to say antimask/antivaccine) crowd isn’t intentionally trying to gaslight folks. They are true believers, they’ve IG swallowed all the false bait, hook line and sinker, mask deep fear with entitlement, are willing agents of propaganda spread. I could more easily forgive plain ignorance, but arrogant pride, selfishness and lotsa money are a terrible combination. Somewhere at the bottom of the wormhole are the truly evil manufacturers of false information.

Others are led by religious leaders who have a twisted notion of freedom, not aligned with how the Bible teaches it (thinking of Paul and Silas in the earthquake, having more care for the fate of the jailer than for their own opportunity to grasp freedom, Acts 16:25-31). It grieves me. 

This evening our school board finally  issued the covid policy and guidelines for this year. Parents can opt their kids out of mask wearing by signing a statement attesting that their child would suffer physically or mentally by being made to wear a mask. This statement does not require a physician’s signature. So basically it’s a big CYA for the school to go mask optional, and a lot of folks will gladly declare their kids unable to wear a mask. Which amounts to no protection for the youngest students and any unvaccinated student, teacher or staff member. It’s a ridiculously ineffective policy. 

My sweet close relative is a pediatric cardiac nurse. I was telling her about some of the conversation going on in the school mask debate and she said she wished they could come take a look in her icu, where there is an infant with covid on ecmo, an intubated toddler in the next bed, and another dozen very sick kids. 😢

Thank you this was such a good post. You explained well, how I feel about Christians asserting their individual rights. I have trouble articulating what seems so off about it, and you did it so well.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Well, one would think playgrounds are safe!  Grrrrrrr.

I sure did! Grrr indeed, lol. 

Earlier this week, we did a two night sleepover with DD’s vaxxed and fairly quarantined BFF, and a water play date.  Trying to squeeze it all in before school. Now that BFF’s siblings are in school, we’re back to virtual play dates.  I’m trying to plan some outside stuff they can do masked, but … Blech.

I hope you can find some outdoor things they can do!! We're still doing outdoor stuff, just less crowded versions. 

On another note, DH’s company’s well known broadcast partner has extended their lock down.  No one in the building except essential staff, no one on the news floor but journalists. All non-essential travel canceled.  But on the other end of the spectrum, his Munich office is like, “Vaccines!  We finally have Vaccines!  Party! Get together! Do All The Things! Wheeee!” … They are where we were last June, and can’t fathom locking down again.  (Sigh) 

I guess I can't blame them, but that's definitely not the mood I'm in here... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Dreading this so much. 

Me too. I really hope we don't get there, but I feel the same as many others on this thread, That is, when the CDC changed its messaging to not recommend masks for the vaccinated, they effectively let the genie out of the bottle. Changing their messaging to masking again is like trying to put the genie back in the bottle or trying to put toothpaste back in a tube.  Only one person in my whole church masks since the first announcement, no one changed their behavior with the second.  Sigh.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

6 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Me too. I really hope we don't get there, but I feel the same as many others on this thread, That is, when the CDC changed its messaging to not recommend masks for the vaccinated, they effectively let the genie out of the bottle. Changing their messaging to masking again is like trying to put the genie back in the bottle or trying to put toothpaste back in a tube.  Only one person in my whole church masks since the first announcement, no one changed their behavior with the second.  Sigh.

and my church is still saying you don't need a mask if vaccinated, and kids in sunday school don't need them. UGH!

They should have left mask mandates in place for all until kids could be vaccinated too, at least. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

400 new cases in one day here.  Emergency broadcast from the local health department.  Meanwhile a local group is planning  a protest to stop the mandate. I am expecting ugly since  this is the same group who found the liquor board workers addresses and harassed them at home for fining businesses.

• Sad 16

11 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I agree. It makes no sense, since so many stores change their signage to align with the CDC within 24 hours of the first announcement. although even then, a lot of them change the sign to say something like, “in accordance with CDC guidelines, masks are encouraged for the unvaccinated” when the guidelines did more than just encourage them. Anyway, now that the CDC is saying that masks should be worn by everyone indoors, there has been no similar rush to reverse the policies. I am seeing masking by the general public has gone way back up what it was, but still much less than before the May CDC announcement. And I’m particularly seeing that stores don’t seem to be requiring them of their employees, which surprises me. When the majority of their clientele is masked, it seems to be common courtesy to have the employees mask in return.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

and my church is still saying you don't need a mask if vaccinated, and kids in sunday school don't need them. UGH!

They should have left mask mandates in place for all until kids could be vaccinated too, at least. 

Our churches are saying optional! Regardless of vaccine status! It’s just been recently encouraged to mask at church. The priests only put them on at just before Communion. They have allowed attending on a weekday as a way to meet your weekend service obligation. I went Wed night last week. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I am annoyed with the CDC, but at the same time, people here actively seek out ways to make all health information sound flaky, even when it's solid. 

This part of the state mitigated its behavior just enough to avoid complete hospital overwhelm during the last surge, so my cynical side says that they care when it affects their plans. They are capable of self-preservation, but not capable of loving their neighbor proactively.

I don't think hospitals here publicized just how close to collapse they were last time either, and I think that's wrong. They need to be telling people that if they get in an accident, there might not be a bed for them until someone else dies. Last time, we were at the stage where one ambulance might be diverted, but then a bed frees up, and the next ambulance is accepted. 

We are currently at a point locally where it's getting harder to be admitted for Covid. That's not a good sign.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Our state now has a breakthrough case dashboard.  It doesn't have much info, but it's really interesting anyway.

Covid-19 hospitalizations since 1-1-21 for "not fully vaccinated" people - 19,028

Covid-19 hospitalizations since 1-1-21 for fully vaccinated people - 362

Covid-19 deaths since 1-1-21 for "not fully vaccinated" people - 6,910

Covid-19 deaths since 1-1-21 for fully vaccinated people - 67

I think this tells us a lot.

1) The vaccine makes a lot of difference, and

2) Risk for those who are vaccinated is really pretty low.

Only problem I see is that I accidentally found this dashboard.  I don't think they do a good enough job of getting useful information out to everyday people.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

They are giving Pfizer shots to anyone 12+ who wants them at next weekend's back to school fair (an outdoor event).  (Then they will give the second shot at a school office in September.)  No appointment necessary.  I hope this helps some.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, SKL said:

They are giving Pfizer shots to anyone 12+ who wants them at next weekend's back to school fair (an outdoor event).  (Then they will give the second shot at a school office in September.)  No appointment necessary.  I hope this helps some.

So the second dose will likely be FDA approved. My aunt is holding out for FDA approval but I couldn’t wait. I felt a strong sense of urgency with everything going on. 

• Like 2

Notes from the news I'm seeing in the UK:

- 10% of confirmed COVID infections now occur in hospital. This despite masking being nearly universal in UK hospitals among staff and patients alike, and despite hospital staff being almost universally double-vaccinated. Part of this is because almost every infection in hospital gets discovered, but I think it also highlights the amount of fatigue in that environment, because being exhausted makes one vulnerable to most infectious diseases.

- Some Scottish health authorities are pausing some (in at least one case, all) elective surgeries due to staff absence and a rise in hospital admissions from all causes (COVID-19 is only partly responsible; people with chronic conditions that were put off by COVID-19 before are now seeking hospital treatment. Also, I suspect that work-related injuries, traffic accidents and the consequences of pub drinking have also increased as people start working and socially drinking alcohol again). It's expected to be a temporary problem because nearly 500 new nurses, plus support staff in proportion, are due to start work soon.

- Northern Ireland is particularly targetting vaccines for pregnant women, due to an uptick in cases among women who are pregnant or have recently given birth (and are not vaccinated). The women's caution makes sense on one level, because nobody wants a repeat of the thamidolide scandal, but it does not seem that any of the approved COVID-19 vaccines has any known negative effect on pregnancies or unborn babies.

- An estimated 1 in 75 people in the UK has COVID, but the R number suggests the wave is about to slow down because the average number of people infected by someone with COVID-19 in the UK is now just below 1. Over 75% of adults are vaccinated but just under 1/3 of under-30s haven't started vaccinating yet (the pregnancy issue is likely one of several reasons; another is that many people are probably waiting to get both jabs at university, and that doesn't start until September for most students).

Testing decreasing makes the infection figures a bit woolier than I'd like; the testing centre today had no custom as I was walking past it, and the notes from my county's dashboard indicate that in most testing stations, total tests per week are below 200.

My church started services a few weeks ago, but did not advertise the fact very much. It's just released a rules update. Masks are no longer mandatory for anyone (specifically because they want medically-exempt people to be able to attend), but the rule update stated that masks are strongly recommended - with Biblical justification (although I'm pretty sure the quotation used - Proverbs 2:2 - was written with "wise advice" in general in mind rather than masks specifically)

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

And, oops, I nannied a kid while in college and did all the drop off/pick ups.  Never occurred to me that they hated my shorts and tanks?? In 100 degree weather?  That’s a thing? 

(my quote feature messed up) 

Doubt it was a big deal. Unless your butt cheeks were hanging out or something. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

Notes from the news I'm seeing in the UK:

- 10% of confirmed COVID infections now occur in hospital. This despite masking being nearly universal in UK hospitals among staff and patients alike, and despite hospital staff being almost universally double-vaccinated. Part of this is because almost every infection in hospital gets discovered, but I think it also highlights the amount of fatigue in that environment, because being exhausted makes one vulnerable to most infectious diseases.

I am glad someone is tracking this. They might be here, but I don't know that the information is widely available. Relatives who had Covid last spring in spite of being really locked down are pretty sure they got Covid at the doctor's office. The only other place they were going was the store parking lot for grocery pickup, and they were masking/distancing. 

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Florida report has not updated on the state website yet, but reports are that my county has hit 20% positivity.

I seriously felt nauseated when I read that. If that's true, it's gonna be a very rough month for Florida. Those poor healthcare workers.

I'm sorry.

• Sad 1

I didn’t even know you could look up percent positive. Mississippi said hold my beer with 21.7%. 

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/07/30/mississippi-has-highest-covid-positivity-rate-us/

Just found out my spouse’s lawyer is fighting for his life in the hospital with Covid. I actually don’t think he’s a bad guy (just doing his job) and felt horrible hearing that. 

• Sad 13

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Relatives who had Covid last spring in spite of being really locked down are pretty sure they got Covid at the doctor's office. The only other place they were going was the store parking lot for grocery pickup, and they were masking/distancing. 

That is disconcerting. Early in Summer I decided to finally get my younger two in for check ups, since things are looking so much better, but the office was so booked that their appointment isn’t till the end of this month. They are too young to be vaccinated, and I was already feeling uneasy about it because the ventilation situation at the doctor’s office is very poor. Small exam rooms with no windows that you’re in for at least an hour. We’ve had to do it multiple times during the pandemic, but with Delta, I really don’t think I want to take currently healthy kids into that situation until numbers drop again, especially hearing stories like this. I wish they would offer some kind of outdoor well-child screenings right now for healthy kids.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Happy2BaMom said:

I seriously felt nauseated when I read that. If that's true, it's gonna be a very rough month for Florida. Those poor healthcare workers.

I'm sorry.

We've had various counties around that for weeks now..they kind of take turns ..I actually think it may have to do with which places have more tests as many go back and forth between counties for various activities. 

Just now, KSera said:

That is disconcerting. Early in Summer I decided to finally get my younger two in for check ups, since things are looking so much better, but the office was so booked that their appointment isn’t till the end of this month. They are too young to be vaccinated, and I was already feeling uneasy about it because the ventilation situation at the doctor’s office is very poor. Small exam rooms with no windows that you’re in for at least an hour. We’ve had to do it multiple times during the pandemic, but with Delta, I really don’t think I want to take currently healthy kids into that situation until numbers drop again, especially hearing stories like this. I wish they would offer some kind of outdoor well-child screenings right now for healthy kids.

Right? At least an outdoor immunization clinic!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Right? At least an outdoor immunization clinic!

Yes! Our didndrive-through for flu and is going to again this year, but would it be great if they could offer other things as well.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I am glad someone is tracking this. They might be here, but I don't know that the information is widely available. Relatives who had Covid last spring in spite of being really locked down are pretty sure they got Covid at the doctor's office. The only other place they were going was the store parking lot for grocery pickup, and they were masking/distancing. 

I haven’t been aware of patients contracting Covid while hospitalized, where I work. We only have single patient rooms in our facility. I think the figure might be higher in the UK because they very often have open wards, or bays with 4-6 patients in them. Or at least they did when I last worked there 16 years ago - maybe it’s changed. I can see places like waiting rooms being high risk too.

8 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

You were in the car and unless you were showing cleavage I doubt it registered on anyone’s radar. I go to Catholic Masses where I’m shocked at what some people wear (dress that barely covers the body). It’s too hot for a sweatshirt. 

I thought that was odd for a Catholic school too.   Maybe it's a regional thing?   Short skirts and tank tops on moms/nannies picking up would be nothing odd around here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

2 hours ago, TCB said:

I haven’t been aware of patients contracting Covid while hospitalized, where I work. We only have single patient rooms in our facility. I think the figure might be higher in the UK because they very often have open wards, or bays with 4-6 patients in them. Or at least they did when I last worked there 16 years ago - maybe it’s changed. I can see places like waiting rooms being high risk too.

So, it was Florida...not sure what precautions most offices took.

I do think the risk is variable depending on the office. I am very confident taking my kids to the pediatrician. The orthodontist, not so much!!! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

The school actually has a dress code for parents who come on the premises. When I dropped off DD, I went into the school courtyard because it was the first day of school. That's why I covered my shoulders. I don't worry about it when I pick up DD in the parking lot. 

How fascinating!  I never heard of a dress code for parents.  I wonder what past action prompted that. (I've seen a few things that would make it tempting).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My Texas county's positivity rate is 19%.  School's in session, no masks, and everyone is going about their business like life is back to normal and there's nothing to see. 

Some of my in-laws now have Covid, (unvaxed, because "faith, not fear!" and "you can't tell me what to do!"), and exposed my MIL, who is not in the best of health to start with.  Thankfully, MIL is double-vaxed and so far has not shown symptoms.  

I can't think of the last time I saw DH so angry.  

• Sad 21

15 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

My Texas county's positivity rate is 19%.  School's in session, no masks, and everyone is going about their business like life is back to normal and there's nothing to see. 

Some of my in-laws now have Covid, (unvaxed, because "faith, not fear!" and "you can't tell me what to do!"), and exposed my MIL, who is not in the best of health to start with.  Thankfully, MIL is double-vaxed and so far has not shown symptoms.  

I can't think of the last time I saw DH so angry.  

Gotta love gun toting Texans saying you shouldn't take precautions due to fear. Sigh...

• Like 8

I am letting my brain work on this for a bit, but can I hear some thoughts from others?

My higher risk kid is heading back to brick and mortar high school and needs to be there and IEP team agrees. In talking about it with ped today, ped says I need to be sending him in a N95….and really recommended it for all of my family. Basically, his .02 is that with delta right now, if you are out, you need to be in a genuine N95, and not an equivalent like the KF or KN or the like. I highly respect his opinion and he teaches at the local med school and does occasional floor shifts at a nationally ranked hospital. (I say this to say I don’t think he’s a quack.) 

I have seen hints around this elsewhere…Fauci? 

What’s your take on it? He gave one to my kid to try on to check fit and I am going to try to source them, but am not feeling super optimistic we will find them because they are medical grade.

20 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

The biggest problems facing the Catholic church today are girls' shoulders and leggings as pants. 

Or so I've been told.

For Mormons too. Leggings can only be worn at BYU-I if they are worn under knee length skirts or dresses for warmth. 

Cap length shirts can be too immodest if they don’t entirely cover the shoulder or gap at the armpit.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am letting my brain work on this for a bit, but can I hear some thoughts from others?

My higher risk kid is heading back to brick and mortar high school and needs to be there and IEP team agrees. In talking about it with ped today, ped says I need to be sending him in a N95….and really recommended it for all of my family. Basically, his .02 is that with delta right now, if you are out, you need to be in a genuine N95, and not an equivalent like the KF or KN or the like. I highly respect his opinion and he teaches at the local med school and does occasional floor shifts at a nationally ranked hospital. (I say this to say I don’t think he’s a quack.) 

I have seen hints around this elsewhere…Fauci? 

What’s your take on it? He gave one to my kid to try on to check fit and I am going to try to source them, but am not feeling super optimistic we will find them because they are medical grade.

I think the best kind of mask is the kind that your kid will keep on and not mess with. Like, yes, you want a filter mask with a decent seal, but the biggest risk is the kid taking them off. 

So... I guess before I went all out on this, I'd think about how your kid feels about them. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think the best kind of mask is the kind that your kid will keep on and not mess with. Like, yes, you want a filter mask with a decent seal, but the biggest risk is the kid taking them off. 

So... I guess before I went all out on this, I'd think about how your kid feels about them. 

Kid (who is in 10th grade this year) can tolerate any mask and wears them appropriately. We have done N95s for him before and he has a good fit… it’s just not been 8 hours a day every day. His max has been three hours, when he needed some medical stuff.

I wore a N95 for four hours Monday and I had sweat pouring down my back and a damp face by the time I was done. Wearing a N95 properly is not without strain. (A serious hat tip to medical professionals. Y’all kick ass.)

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1