Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

4 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I may be weird, but I really hate finger pricks! I far prefer normal blood draws.

Me too.  I opted out of two labs in high school bio that required finger pricks to do them.  I couldn't even manage having other people give them to me.  I don't seem to have any problem with a needle prick in the arm.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Me too.  I opted out of two labs in high school bio that required finger pricks to do them.  I couldn't even manage having other people give them to me.  I don't seem to have any problem with a needle prick in the arm.  

Huh. Maybe I'm less weird than I thought... 

I don't even mind WATCHING needles. I really don't have needle issues. But finger pricks, ugh. 

• Like 1

Just now, regentrude said:

Maybe this had been mentioned before, but if not: just saw on German news that 60% of hospitalized Covid patients in the UK have been fully vaccinated. 

Now, granted , they have a very large percentage of population vaxxed, but still, quite concerning.

well, I mean, if you have 100 % vaccination, then 100% of those hospitalized will be vaccinated. IT will just be a much lower number of people. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

well, I mean, if you have 100 % vaccination, then 100% of those hospitalized will be vaccinated. IT will just be a much lower number of people. 

Sure. But the general perception among many people seems to be that vaccination protects against hospitalization ( and death), and that seems clearly too simplistic.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

Maybe this had been mentioned before, but if not: just saw on German news that 60% of hospitalized Covid patients in the UK have been fully vaccinated. 

Now, granted , they have a very large percentage of population vaxxed, but still, quite concerning.

It certainly sounds high. Did it say fully vaccinated,  because there are a lot of young people waiting for their second? Close to 90 percent of adults have had one jab.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

The total number hospitalised in the last 7 days is 4317 (acrosss the UK), and last I checked (a fortnight ago, because that's the frequency of my local area dashboard), that number was just over 400. (Graph of hospitalisations in the UK up to 1 week ago is here. Note that the last time the UK averaged that many COVID hospitalisations in a week, was January 15, a week after the peak of the UK's third wave - and a point where hardly anyone in hospital had had any doses of vaccine.

4094 people currently in hospital in the UK, 573 of whom are on ventilators. Last time it was this bad was 29 March, which is bad but nowhere near as bad. (This is because more people are spending less time in hospital).

We have a problem.

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

The UK science officer who gave the speech just apologized on Twitter saying that he meant to say 60% are UNvaccinated.

Pretty consequential misstatement there.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Danae said:

The UK science officer who gave the speech just apologized on Twitter saying that he meant to say 60% are UNvaccinated.

Pretty consequential misstatement there.

yikes, this kind of misspeak isn't supposed to happen.
Still, 40% is also not "just a few".

• Like 9

Sure. But the general perception among many people seems to be that vaccination protects against hospitalization ( and death), and that seems clearly too simplistic.

Well, it does protect - just not 100%. Same as seatbelts, etc. 

But yeah, the more spread, the more people will pay the price, including vaccinated people. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, regentrude said:
13 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I haven’t found clarification yet if “unvaccinated” means no shots or not fully (2 shots+2 weeks) vaccinated.  If partially vaccinated people are in with unvaccinated then that’s 40% of the population and the hospitalization rates for unvaccinated vs vaccinated would be 2.5 : 1

If first-shot folks are not counted as unvaccinated then only 10% of the population are unvaccinated and the rates are 13.63 : 1

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, regentrude said:

It would be helpful to know also hospital vs ICU. I don't want to end up in either, but I've heard hospital officials most places saying that while they have vaccinated Covid patients, they have none or almost none in the ICU. Which in a place with a high vaccination rate makes it even more clear how well they are preventing the most serious of outcomes. I do wish we weren't seeing this much breakthrough though. It was much better with alpha, when breakthrough was much more rare. I still feel confident I'm protected from hospitalization or death, but not as protected from contracting a case that I could potentially pass on to my younger kids or my elderly parents. I don't like that.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would assume (just based on other things I've read) that the Delta variant is more easily transmissible and so that changes things up.  Or perhaps the vaccination of older people stopped spread earlier but now that it's spreading among a younger population that is no longer the case? 

It does make sense that this is just greater transmissability, but....... it just seems like there should be some extra-special explanation.  It really does.  

But this does seem like it is probably the case! 

I can't believe this is where we are at right now, sigh.  Sigh.  

It's not just a few, but in the older age groups, something like 93% have been vaccinated. That means that there's about 40% of hospitalized patients coming from about 7% of total patients. As you can see, your chance of being hospitalized with the vaccine is something like 6 times less than without the vaccine.... 

• Like 2

But with a large % of the population vaccinated that means 40% from that large group and 60% from the very much smaller non-vaccinated group.

I can tell you, from my experience, an absolute minimal amount, extremely close to zero, vaccinated patients are being admitted to ICU, and they are certainly not getting intubated. Of course, that may change if in fact we don’t have delta here already, but it seems extremely likely that we do.

• Like 5

Just now, TCB said:

But with a large % of the population vaccinated that means 40% from that large group and 60% from the very much smaller non-vaccinated group.

I can tell you, from my experience, an absolute minimal amount, extremely close to zero, vaccinated patients are being admitted to ICU, and they are certainly not getting intubated. Of course, that may change if in fact we don’t have delta here already, but it seems extremely likely that we do.

To be fair, the UK has mostly used AZ, right? So the efficacy is lower, anyway. I expect that's why. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

To be fair, the UK has mostly used AZ, right? So the efficacy is lower, anyway. I expect that's why. 

The vaccine usage makes the figures difficult to interpret.  Very elderly or vulnerable people had  Pfizer because it was available first. Most people 40-70 or so got AZ. People 18-40 got Pfizer or Moderna  because of the issue with rare blood clots.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TCB said:

Yes.  If  60% of those in hospital are unvaccinated, then those cases come from just 11% of the adult population (excluding children for the moment, who very rarely end up in hospital).

• Like 4

12 hours ago, KSera said:

It would be helpful to know also hospital vs ICU. I don't want to end up in either, but I've heard hospital officials most places saying that while they have vaccinated Covid patients, they have none or almost none in the ICU. Which in a place with a high vaccination rate makes it even more clear how well they are preventing the most serious of outcomes. I do wish we weren't seeing this much breakthrough though. It was much better with alpha, when breakthrough was much more rare. I still feel confident I'm protected from hospitalization or death, but not as protected from contracting a case that I could potentially pass on to my younger kids or my elderly parents. I don't like that.

UK statistics don't include ICU bed occupancy as a separate measure. However, the number on ventilators or ventilator-capable beds (only mechanical ventilation counted in the UK stats, not halfway-house solutions like CPAP devices which can be delivered in regular COVID wards) is a decent proxy for the numbers in ICU. Some people in these statistics may be just weaned off the ventilator, or showing signs they're about to need one, but otherwise everyone counted will be ventilated because it is deliberate policy to keep ventilator beds clear as far as possible.

Last figure I saw for COVID patients on mechanical ventilation beds was 573 (across the UK),  The last time it was that high was March 29 (same as the number of people in total in hospital is at the March 29 level), so it seems people going into hospital are having the same proportions as back then (i.e. just over 1 in 8 hospitalised patients end up ventilated at some point during their stay).

So far, deaths have barely started increasing, so the link between ventilation and death may be weakened by the vaccination (as well as a significant weakening of the link between infection and hospitalisation that still applies).

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

The vaccine usage makes the figures difficult to interpret.  Very elderly or vulnerable people had  Pfizer because it was available first. Most people 40-70 or so got AZ. People 18-40 got Pfizer or Moderna  because of the issue with rare blood clots.

Also, there's a bunch of 18-40 who got Pfizer because they were medical staff in hospital hubs for vaccination... ...and another bunch of 18-40 who got OxfordAstrazeneca because they were nursing home/community healthcare staff who got vaccinated along with their elderly patients.

People in some relatively inaccessible parts of the UK (like the Outer Hebrides islands) got OxfordAstrazeneca unless contraindicated, due to relative ease of transportation. We also have about 50,000 people who have been involved in various vaccine trials, two of which resulted in failure (people in failed trials will be vulnerable to COVID unless re-vaccinated with something effective).

Unfortunately there are no statistics at present about cases/hospitalisations/ventilations/deaths by vaccine type, only vaccinated/unvaccinated.

In more positive news, Scotland's figures for today have slightly improved - 7 more people left hospital than entered it for COVID reasons, and 2 more people were weaned off ventilators than put on them for COVID reasons. Let's hope that's the start of a happier trend.

• Like 4

We may be locking back down sooner than I thought  possible.   Their were 200 new cases over the weekend.   Putting our case rate back in the 200's, positivity hasn't been updated but will definitely be over 15%.  More disturbing we had 10 more admitted to the hospital 46 people which is 12% of all beds.  This weekend they are holding the boat races.  This is a huge event thousands of people over the 4 days will attend.  I wasn't to worried because it's outdoors but now with delta.  Outdoors in a crowd all day under tents etc seems not that safe.  We aren't going but I think  this could be really  bad for our area.

• Sad 5

10 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

We may be locking back down sooner than I thought  possible.   Their were 200 new cases over the weekend.   Putting our case rate back in the 200's, positivity hasn't been updated but will definitely be over 15%.  More disturbing we had 10 more admitted to the hospital 46 people which is 12% of all beds.  This weekend they are holding the boat races.  This is a huge event thousands of people over the 4 days will attend.  I wasn't to worried because it's outdoors but now with delta.  Outdoors in a crowd all day under tents etc seems not that safe.  We aren't going but I think  this could be really  bad for our area.

Is that your state or county?

Yeah I hear you on the crowded events.  Ugh.  We have another NBA finals game tonight.  17k in the arena inside and room for 65k in the streets right outside.  Plus all the bars!  I bet the surge from the last game hasn't even hit yet.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is that your state or county?

Yeah I hear you on the crowded events.  Ugh.  We have another NBA finals game tonight.  17k in the arena inside and room for 65k in the streets right outside.  Plus all the bars!  I bet the surge from the last game hasn't even hit yet.

The counties it's two counties but one metro area.  It's been pretty  consistently bad here holding back the rest of the state.  The state  dropped  restrictions because of the Vax rate but our area is way behind the rest.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Locking down in just your county, you think? 

I think we personally  will be locked down.  Idk what will happen restrictions  wise.  Our county will definitely not doing anything on its own.  When the state had levels and our counties were the only ones locked down for not meeting metrics everyone just drove to other parts of the state.   Prompting the governor to loosen our restrictions to save the rest.  

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

My husband’s employer is following Apple’s lead to delay the back to office.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-20/apple-will-postpone-return-to-office-after-covid-19-persists

”Apple Inc., responding to a surge in Covid variants, is pushing back its office re-opening by at least a month to October at the earliest and recommending that workers at its retail stores wear masks, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The iPhone maker is one of the first U.S. tech giants to delay plans for a return to normality as Covid-19 and highly transmissible variants persist around the world. Apple will give employees at least a month’s warning before mandating a return to offices, the people said, asking for anonymity to discuss internal policy.

Store workers, vaccinated or not, are being urged to start wearing masks again, other people familiar with the matter said. In regions where local authorities have reinstated mask mandates, retail workers must comply, the company told employees. Apple had dropped its internal mask mandate in June.

Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook told employees in June that they should begin returning to offices by early September for at least three days a week. In an internal memo at the time, Cook cited the availability of vaccinations and declining infection rates. Some employees of the Cupertino, California-based technology giant have worked from Apple offices on certain days throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

My husband’s employer is following Apple’s lead to delay the back to office.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-20/apple-will-postpone-return-to-office-after-covid-19-persists

”Apple Inc., responding to a surge in Covid variants, is pushing back its office re-opening by at least a month to October at the earliest and recommending that workers at its retail stores wear masks, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The iPhone maker is one of the first U.S. tech giants to delay plans for a return to normality as Covid-19 and highly transmissible variants persist around the world. Apple will give employees at least a month’s warning before mandating a return to offices, the people said, asking for anonymity to discuss internal policy.

Store workers, vaccinated or not, are being urged to start wearing masks again, other people familiar with the matter said. In regions where local authorities have reinstated mask mandates, retail workers must comply, the company told employees. Apple had dropped its internal mask mandate in June.

Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook told employees in June that they should begin returning to offices by early September for at least three days a week. In an internal memo at the time, Cook cited the availability of vaccinations and declining infection rates. Some employees of the Cupertino, California-based technology giant have worked from Apple offices on certain days throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.”

I hope my dh's company does this too. 

7 hours ago, rebcoola said:

I think we personally  will be locked down.  Idk what will happen restrictions  wise.  Our county will definitely not doing anything on its own.  When the state had levels and our counties were the only ones locked down for not meeting metrics everyone just drove to other parts of the state.   Prompting the governor to loosen our restrictions to save the rest.  

I am still trying to figure out if we'll thoroughly lock down. I'm not going to take public transit anymore, DH isn't going to go to the office or the gym (but he DOES have to teach a class, sigh), and we aren't going to do indoor activities. 

I still can't figure out what to do about our playground playdates, though. And I'm really bummed it looks like the kid vaccine won't be out anytime soon. 

• Like 2

Idk what it will look like for us we only have 2.5 yr old unvaxxed.  But we were doing pretty  much anything outdoors carefree. Just  avoiding crowds and wearing masks for indoors but now it seems we might have to pull back.  My parents live here and are 70+I wish we knew for sure the Vax took for them especially  since my dad works at the library. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Idk what it will look like for us we only have 2.5 yr old unvaxxed.  But we were doing pretty  much anything outdoors carefree. Just  avoiding crowds and wearing masks for indoors but now it seems we might have to pull back.  My parents live here and are 70+I wish we knew for sure the Vax took for them especially  since my dad works at the library. 

I worry about DH's parents, too. But I definitely can't ask them to lock down again... they've lost enough time to this thing, plus I'm sure they won't. So hopefully the vax produced a good immune response for them. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 1:12 PM, Not_a_Number said:

The most annoying thing for me when I wear the Happy Masks is that they do irritate my ears. I should make some more ear savers... right now, I just tie them behind my head sometimes. 

get the lanyard they have...I just got them. So convenient to be hands free 

• Like 1

@Not_a_Number

I'm losing track of threads. I think this is the one where you asked about when vax for youngers will be availabe. 

Fauci is quoted as saying late fall or early winter would be the earliest.

Also, the data about pediatric cases doubling makes sense why AAP came out with their recommendation. I also didn't know that there have been 400 pediatric deaths. This makes sense why they would start messaging with some areas going back to school in just a couple of weeks.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/20/health/covid-children-cases-schools-reopening/index.html

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

That comes out very similar to a more in depth calculation I posted in the Vaccine thread this morning. They used a similar method, and had 89% as an underestimate counting all people old enough to be vaccinated, or 93(?)% if they assume most of the vaccinated in the hospital are older (which appears accurate). 

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

What are you guys' impressions of how many restrictions universities will have on campus if they require all students to be vaccinated?

I’ve been expecting there weren’t going to be restrictions on a fully vaccinated campus (students and staff), but now I’m wondering if Delta will change that. Especially for things like large indoor gatherings—basketball games and things like that. 

• Like 3

On 7/20/2021 at 11:33 PM, lewelma said:

What are you guys' impressions of how many restrictions universities will have on campus if they require all students to be vaccinated?

Probably none, seeing that my university system which will not require vaccinations is planning to go ahead with full capacity in-person instruction (i.e. no distancing) without any masks. They hope for students voluntary vaccinating.

UPDATE: mask mandate temporarily instated until mid-September. Yay!!!

Edited by regentrude
  • Sad 10

13 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Probably none, seeing that my university system which will not require vaccinations is planning to go ahead with full capacity in-person instruction (i.e. no distancing) without any masks. They hope for students voluntary vaccinating.

The one where I work is scheduling rooms so that people who want to socially distance can, but there's no compulsion.  No masks mentioned and vaccination is encouraged but not required.  Large lectures will be online, because there are no rooms big enough to allow for voluntary spacing.  Students can study online instead if they prefer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lewelma said:

Those with which I am most familiar will still require masks and testing, though the testing will be less often than last year. Most classes will be in-person, but I imagine there will be an online option since a number of students (and even hires) haven’t been able to get visas because of the backlog. The online option will doubtless prove useful for the inevitable quarantines. 😣

Most schools have posted their fall Covid plans. It’s interesting to see the different approaches.

• Like 1

Where do you think colleges will be in a year?   I realize that is a question no one can really answer, but do think things will ever be "normal" again?

My son is a senior this year and looking forward to going away to college.  I want that for him, but not if it means Covid.

The college where I teach had hoped to be back to normal with required vaccinations.  Nothing has been announced yet, but I’m sure the leadership is going crazy trying to figure out what Delta is going to do to that plan.  

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I think schools in states where the local government has not lost its collective mind on this issue are more likely to both require vaccines and add other measures.

• Like 2

I'm feeling increasingly nervous now that I have accepted an in-person teaching job. I was so excited to go back in person, but now cases are going up again.... I think the deal in Maine is that each school district can choose their mask policy. Mine is choosing masks for all, thankfully.

My mom will not lock down again. She lives alone and was pretty depressed during lockdown. All I can do is hope that if we do get covid, it will be manageable because we are vaccinated.

• Sad 5

My state was in the 40s for new cases and even hit a day in the 30s.   7-6 we were at 45 new cases for the day.   Yesterday (7-20) 499.    And it wasn't just a dump of cases as 7-19 was 451 cases.  

Shit.  I am freaking out on trying to make choices on things.  

My older 2 were supposed to go to a in-person dance intensive in August.  We have doc and ortho apts for next week. 

All my kids were supposed to be auditioning for a ballet.  And they were supposed to be going back to in-person ballet.  And I wanted my 3 littles to do 2 weeks of gymnastics camp.  

I feel so down and how the heck are we supposed to avoid Covid this time?  Seems like everyone is just going to get it.  At least being vaccinated it will be mild?  So then don't lock down again and just be cautious?  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

On 7/20/2021 at 4:31 AM, Laura Corin said:

The issue with those numbers is that it was NOT clear from Patrick Valance whether "unvaccinated" meant no vaccine or not fully vaccinated. The numbers would be correct if he meant 40% of infections were in people who had at least one shot, but they would be way off if he meant 40% were in people who were fully vaccinated.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The issue with those numbers is that it was NOT clear from Patrick Valance whether "unvaccinated" meant no vaccine or not fully vaccinated. The numbers would be correct if he meant 40% of infections were in people who had at least one shot, but they would be way off if he meant 40% were in people who were fully vaccinated.

In British parlance I think 'unvaccinated' would mean no vaccine at all. Otherwise it would be 'not fully vaccinated'. Would be my guess.