Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

Florida is not pleading for ventilators. 

Florida Department of Health communications director Weesam Khoury confirmed the state had requested the equipment and told CNN in a statement that Florida does not have a shortage of ventilators.

“The Department routinely works with the federal government to ensure adequate resources are available and ready to be distributed at all times, as done with this recent request. This is a proactive measure to ensure there are consistent resources available in the state stockpile for deployment," Khoury said.

• Like 1

MS has begun talks about having the Comfort come in “the event of a hospitalization rise”

Mississippi officials have requested the use of the military hospital ship USNS Comfort to help "provide potential [intensive care unit] capacity or a step-down unit for COVID-19 patients in the event COVID-19 hospitalization rise," according to the document.

A Mississippi health department official confirmed Wednesday that the state has requested that the federal government send a military hospital ship such as the USNS Comfort, which treated over 180 COVID-19 patients in New York City last year.

"We began conversations with them," Jim Craig, senior deputy and director of health protection, told reporters during a briefing. "The way that you do that is put a request in for the resource. So we have requested information about how the USNS Comfort and-or its resources could ... come and provide assistance in the state of Mississippi."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pinball said:

Not pleading, just asking politely as they shatter covid hospitalization records on a daily basis. I'd be curious to know which other states have made "routine" requests for 300 ventilators from the federal government over the past few days. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, pinball said:

Florida Department of Health communications director Weesam Khoury confirmed the state had requested the equipment and told CNN in a statement that Florida does not have a shortage of ventilators.

“The Department routinely works with the federal government to ensure adequate resources are available and ready to be distributed at all times, as done with this recent request. This is a proactive measure to ensure there are consistent resources available in the state stockpile for deployment," Khoury said.

Despite Gov. Ron DeSantis and his underlings attempting to cover up the desperate need for ventilators in Florida, the facts of the matter have been widely reported on in the news.

Spreading Covid disinformation is not helpful.

Bill

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Not pleading, just asking politely as they shatter covid hospitalization records on a daily basis. I'd be curious to know which other states have made "routine" requests for 300 ventilators from the federal government over the past few days. 

So Weesam Khoury is lying?

1 minute ago, pinball said:

So Weesam Khoury is lying?

about what? there's no dispute that they asked for the ventilators is there? I don't find "we're not out of ventilators NOW; we just anticipate that we might be soon" all that reassuring. Florida has more people hospitalized for covid now BY FAR than they have at any other point in the pandemic. It makes sense that they're concerned about their health care system holding up. 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, kokotg said:

about what? there's no dispute that they asked for the ventilators is there? I don't find "we're not out of ventilators NOW; we just anticipate that we might be soon" all that reassuring. Florida has more people hospitalized for covid now BY FAR than they have at any other point in the pandemic. It makes sense that they're concerned about their health care system holding up. 

So now your problem is they are trying to be proactive?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My problem is that people are dying needlessly. No--thank god they are asking for ventilators--and thank god it's NOT up to Desantis to make the request. But I think it's clear that the "routine request" is because they're facing a crisis with the number of cases and hospitalizations. It's not "routine" for states without Florida's staggeringly high numbers to request hundreds of ventilators. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, pinball said:

So now your problem is they are trying to be proactive?

My problem is that they are being proactive too far down the chain of events. Given the situation I'm glad they are sourcing supplies, but to be truly proactive we as a state would have made SOME kind of freaking effort to keep from getting to the point we need more ventilators. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Here being vaccinated exempts you from quarantine if you do not have symptoms. This concerns me because it means that a vaccinated student can still attend school if their parent or other family member is positive for covid. Last spring when vaccination seemed to prevent spread this made some sense, but it does not seem safe anymore.

Yes, this is our district’s plan too. There is a flow chart with several scenarios. The notification to parents trigger has changed here also since last school year .

Just now, ktgrok said:

My problem is that they are being proactive too far down the chain of events. Given the situation I'm glad they are sourcing supplies, but to be truly proactive we as a state would have made SOME kind of freaking effort to keep from getting to the point we need more ventilators. 

It literally says in the article they are not short on ventilators.

so now YOU think Khoury is lying…

• Confused 4

This is the hospitalization and death rate in Florida - there is no denying this is a crisis. Quibbling over how much of a crisis is rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic at this point. 

And given that most hospitals are saying about 90% of their hospitalized covid patients are unvaccinated it is a totally unnecessary, totally preventable crisis. 

It's shameful. Nothing short of shameful. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 2.10.27 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Sad 9

There are currently 15,200 people in Florida hospitalized with Covid-19, 90% of who were unvaccinated.

The state badly needs ventalors, which is why they were requested (at the risk of political backlash from Florida's governor).

I'm glad the Federal government is doing the right thing and sending supplies, even while DeSantis works to actively undermine public health.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So why do they want more? As door stoppers? Or because they anticipate being short on ventilators? 

I don’t know why they want more. 

But it is clear you think your government is lying or the media who quoted him is lying.

It’s hurricane season. Maybe coupled with the Covid situation, the Haelth Dept (or whatever it is called) wants to place ventilators around the state in a strategic fashion in case storms impact shifting them around easily.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

2 minutes ago, pinball said:

I don’t know why they want more. 

But it is clear you think your government is lying or the media who quoted him is lying.

It’s hurricane season. Maybe coupled with the Covid situation, the Haelth Dept (or whatever it is called) wants to place ventilators around the state in a strategic fashion in case storms impact shifting them around easily.

So...I didn't say he was lying. He very carefully phrased things. If they are not currently out, but anticipate not having enough soon, his wording would be still accurate. 

Do YOU think that it is a total coincidence that he asked for more after we hit ANOTHER record high in hospitalizations here? (I think that's the 4th record in 10 days or something like that) Can you look at this graph and think that we have plenty of ventilators for the future, have no real need of any, but ordered some anyway? 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So...I didn't say he was lying. He very carefully phrased things. If they are not currently out, but anticipate not having enough soon, his wording would be still accurate. 

Do YOU think that it is a total coincidence that he asked for more after we hit ANOTHER record high in hospitalizations here? (I think that's the 4th record in 10 days or something like that) Can you look at this graph and think that we have plenty of ventilators for the future, have no real need of any, but ordered some anyway? 

I’m not on trial here. Carry on without me…

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Please don't feed the trolls. The argument about Florida ventilators isn't an evidence-based one. 

Of course it is evidenced based…I provided the evidence that clearly Florida is not begging for ventilators.

No one can accept that.

6 minutes ago, pinball said:

Of course it is evidenced based…I provided the evidence that clearly Florida is not begging for ventilators.

No one can accept that.

You're arguing about semantics. Of course any official spokesperson of that government would use the word "request" rather than "beg". The fact is that they asked (or whatever synonym you want to use) for more ventilators, as you yourself quoted. That means they anticipate not having enough (or are already at that point but won't admit it. I don't assume they would.).

Debating about word choice is ridiculous when the infection and hospitalization numbers speak for themselves.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 16

7 minutes ago, pinball said:

No one can accept that.

I thought you wanted us to continue without you? Or do you mean we just shouldn't provide evidence that disagrees with you?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I thought you wanted us to continue without you? Or do you mean we just shouldn't provide evidence that disagrees with you?

I don't know what she thinks, but I personally think we should stop trying to argue with people who aren't going to argue in good faith 😉 . 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, TechWife said:

To be blunt, it's time for you to stop making excuses and to be quiet, IMO.

My former sister in law died a short time ago. She was an un-vaccinated cancer patient (not able to get the vaccine due to her treatments).  I suppose her vent is available for other Floridians now. Yes, I'm angry.

Her son, my nephew, is positive for delta but is at home and only "feels poorly." He has two small grandchildren who go to daycare - I do not know when they were last at the house. His mother and he lived together. Imagine all of the people who could be exposed - his daughter, her children, their classmates, their classmates families, his daughter's co-workers, their families - it goes on and on.

Go get your shots people.

I’m sorry for your loss…but you have no idea what I’ve been through and what I’ve lost in this pandemic.

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

No, I said YOU continue on without me. You, Katie.

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

You're arguing about semantics. Of course any official spokesperson of that government would use the word "request" rather than "beg". The fact is that they asked (or whatever synonym you want to use) for more ventilators, as you yourself quoted. That means they anticipate not having enough (or are already at that point but won't admit it. I don't assume they would.).

Debating about word choice is ridiculous when the infection and hospitalization numbers speak for themselves.

200 ventilators could be enough to replace worn out ventilators without an change in total useful ventilators available for Florida.

1 minute ago, pinball said:

200 ventilators could be enough to replace worn out ventilators without an change in total useful ventilators available for Florida.

LOL. Sure. They don't actually need the vents. They are just proactively replacing the ones worn out. Because this, of all things, is the one they choose to be proactive about? 
This is beyond ridiculous. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

Well it looks to me like both sides are doing selective reporting about Florida for political reasons.

They clearly have a lot of cases there.  I hope it turns around soon.

To date, Florida's deaths per million population is below average for the USA, and its vax rates are about average for the USA.  In a way, it is to their benefit that their surge in cases is coming now rather than earlier in the pandemic, when we were less able to manage it and save lives.

As we know, there are other reasons besides Covid that the hospitals in Florida (and other southern states) are strained.  The RSV outbreak is huge.  Of course the Covid spike isn't helping matters.  I don't understand why so many people don't want to hear whichever facts are not helpful to their political "side."

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

On an unrelated note, the world made us lock down this week... DD5 threw up yesterday and today, and her good friend from preschool has been away this week, so we haven't seen anyone at all this week through no fault of our own 😉 . 

I am so sorry to hear that! I hope recovery is quick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

LOL. Sure. They don't actually need the vents. They are just proactively replacing the ones worn out. Because this, of all things, is the one they choose to be proactive about? 

Right. It's ridiculous. So don't argue with it 😛 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Faith-manor said:

I am so sorry to hear that! I hope recovery is quick.

Thanks!! She has a sensitive tummy in general, so I bet it's not something super serious. She's my puker, lol... which actually came in handy in March 2020. She conveniently threw up right as cases were taking off, and we had a really good excuse to stay home before everyone else was locking down. 

4 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Yes, they need the vents. The Health Dept guy said they needed them. 

where did I say they don’t need vents?

having a stockpile fulfills a need. Replacing worn out ventilators fulfills a need. Strategically placing vents across a wide geographic area fulfills a need…all things I said about Florida NEEDING vents

If nothing else; the pandemic has shown what a razor edge margin our healthcare system operates on.

I took a patient, who had had hip surgery, 200 miles today to a rehab. She’s not from there, her family is not there, it’s just the closest place with a rehab bed open.  It’s not Covid related; it’s a serious lack of employees in my area.   My local Hospital is full. They don’t even have beds for surgical patients so they’re cancelling elective surgeries.  We’ve been taking patients from there to other hospitals all day. But here’s the thing—it’s not really new. We had surges like this before Covid and and we don’t have many Covid hospitalizations right now.  But RSV is rampant and I know of three babies that have been flown to larger hospitals this week. 

Covis is the tipping point, absolutely. But the healthcare system is finally being shown for the disaster that it is. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

27 minutes ago, pinball said:

Yes, they need the vents. The Health Dept guy said they needed them. 

where did I say they don’t need vents?

having a stockpile fulfills a need. Replacing worn out ventilators fulfills a need. Strategically placing vents across a wide geographic area fulfills a need…all things I said about Florida NEEDING vents

Usually we replace worn out equipment by buying from the company.

I don’t know what your point is, and it doesn’t really matter, because whatever you personally may believe, that doesn’t change the very real fact that the situation with Covid is bad. When more than half your ICU beds are taken up with 1 diagnosis for weeks and weeks, you know that things are not good. I have never seen that before, in my many years in ICU. 
Not sure what you get out of saying the stuff you do. It reminds me of arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, or whatever that crazy argument is.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

If nothing else; the pandemic has shown what a razor edge margin our healthcare system operates on.

I took a patient, who had had hip surgery, 200 miles today to a rehab. She’s not from there, her family is not there, it’s just the closest place with a rehab bed open.  It’s not Covid related; it’s a serious lack of employees in my area.   My local Hospital is full. They don’t even have beds for surgical patients so they’re cancelling elective surgeries.  We’ve been taking patients from there to other hospitals all day. But here’s the thing—it’s not really new. We had surges like this before Covid and and we don’t have many Covid hospitalizations right now.  But RSV is rampant and I know of three babies that have been flown to larger hospitals this week. 

Covis is the tipping point, absolutely. But the healthcare system is finally being shown for the disaster that it is. 

If you think the healthcare system in the US is a disaster, with it’s huge resources, you can imagine what other countries have been facing throughout this pandemic.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I agree that the pandemic has shown with incredibly distressing clarity how broken our healthcare system really is! Unfortunately, I truly believe this is going to get way worse before anything is done about it because such a large voting bloc would rather die to keep the status quo than embrace change. It seems like a pretty sizeable majority of folks will not accept reality, that what we have for healthcare access, funding, distribution of resources, and private insurance is a deadly, inhumane system.

• Like 6

Stanford requires all their students to test regardless of vaccination status starting August 15th.

https://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/faqs-covid-19-screening-program-students

”COVID-19 Testing Program for All Undergraduates

Who Should Be Testing? 

Please note: Effective 8/1/21, in order to monitor the prevalence of COVID-19 at Stanford and keep campus as safe as possible, students living on campus or coming to campus will be required to register and test weekly using Color Genomics beginning August 15, regardless of vaccination status.”

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TCB said:

Usually we replace worn out equipment by buying from the company.

Exactly. If it's just a routine replacement of worn out ventilators, why aren't the hospitals ordering them from the manufacturer, as usual?

Why did the Emergency Management Department request an immediate shipment of 300 ventilators from the federal stockpile? 

Claiming they aren't actually needed, they're just replacing old machinery is like asking FEMA to replace your roof, not because of any natural disaster but just because the roof is old and worn out and was due to be replaced soon anyway. That's not how it works.

ETA: So DeSantis now admits that they requested 300 ventilators and says the reason he denied it earlier was because the reporter had asked him about ordering 300 respirators, so he said that was totally false... because technically that's not what they ordered. LOL

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Ouch to the homeschool band!

I think if you wore a face shield at least that would be another reduction in risk. Maybe mount a surgical mask or a part of a hepa filter vacuum bag at the bottom so air can come in, but your droplets don't get out. Demonstrating embouchure is always problematic in these circumstances though. Ugh!

I still need to be able to get the flute in and out, too 🙂 

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Time to break out that ignore function again.  🥳

Make sure you do it for all the devices your signed in on -- LOL!  I did it on my PC and laptop, but then was on my iPad and there she was again!  Not sure why, but I had to set the ignore on each of my devices.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mlktwins said:

Make sure you do it for all the devices your signed in on -- LOL!  I did it on my PC and laptop, but then was on my iPad and there she was again!  Not sure why, but I had to set the ignore on each of my devices.

Oh I had to do the same thing this week, good reminder!

• Like 1