Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

Just now, calbear said:

Honestly, it's the only one I can stand using for long periods of time. I have sensitive skin and prone to irritation.

Have you tried any of the KN94 ones? I know I like Happy Masks better than anything else I've tried, but it's not like I've done an exhaustive search... I just know that they stay on and don't bother me and get a good seal and have a filter. 

2 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

DH got sick Thursday night and had a COVID test yesterday. The Urgent Care NP told him his symptoms were classic COVID symptoms. We just got the results, negative. 

So now we're in a quandary. Trust the results? He's feeling better today. 

What would you do with the info?

I am super cautious about doing things that contribute to the spread of covid, but I also think that contributing to the spread of viruses with covid symptoms is really problematic right now, because people with those viruses are still going to need to miss work and experience other hardships.

So, unless I had high risk household members, I'd probably take the same precautions (e.g. not going to work in person, no shopping for household members, no socializing) whether it was covid or something else. 

I'm pretty pessimistic about preventing covid transmission in the household, unless there is a situation like @ktgrok 's where the person wasn't at home in the lead up to becoming symptomatic, and they are willing to take dramatic steps.   We would take steps to separate my GFIL from anyone who got sick, because at 90 he's high risk, but otherwise, I'd probably take the same steps between me and my kids that I'd take if one of us had a nasty cold or the flu.  

• Like 1

I actually got my first happy mask this week.  We've been using Old Navy fabric masks for the most part though I do have a box of N95 we've used when it was really awful and we had to go for a dental appt or whatever.  But we just didn't go in places usually and if we did it was super in and out.  And then this summer numbers were so low, I was fine with them too.  

Anyway, this week there is terrible smoke from the Canadian Wildfires.  We've had the worst on record air quality ever here.  I wore my happy mask out of a building this week when I walked out to my car.  I usually take my mask off when I get out as long as I'm not in a busy spot but I was carrying a bunch of stuff.  I was AMAZED, I could not even smell the smoke through that mask!  I am sold and going to order some for the teens and will try to convince DH too.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I actually got my first happy mask this week.  We've been using Old Navy fabric masks for the most part though I do have a box of N95 we've used when it was really awful and we had to go for a dental appt or whatever.  But we just didn't go in places usually and if we did it was super in and out.  And then this summer numbers were so low, I was fine with them too.  

Anyway, this week there is terrible smoke from the Canadian Wildfires.  We've had the worst on record air quality ever here.  I wore my happy mask out of a building this week when I walked out of a building to my car.  I usually take my mask off when I get out as long as I'm not in a busy spot but I was carrying a bunch of stuff.  I was AMAZED, I could not even smell the smoke through that mask!  I am sold and going to order some for the teens and will try to convince DH too.  

That's good to hear! 

We used to use mostly cloth, then we tried a surgical masks (which felt too hard to keep on and too flimsy), then another cloth mask with an insertable filter, which was nice but fussy (and also way too warm for summer!), then we finally tried Happy Masks and have been super pleased with them for all of us. 

But all the talk about the other masks is making me wonder if the grass is greener, lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

That's a good point. I'm not sure DH could stay home from work all next week with a negative result though. We scheduled another test tomorrow and he'll work from home until he gets the results. 

DD begins school the week after next so there are several back to school activities next week. If DH's 2nd test results are negative, I think we should be able to attend these events if DH's symptoms are gone. IDK. I'm sure that someone would tell me that wasn't advised but DD really wants to go to these events and see her friends. Ugg...

Yes, I was thinking more in terms of steps to take before the second test.  I think if he tests negative again, I'd be comfortable going back to indoor things after he's symptom free.  

1 minute ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

We've tried to keep DH and DD separated. DH is saying in the master bedroom as much as possible and I'm sleeping in another room. I'm sure it isn't doing much good but it's better than nothing. 

Yeah, I think those precautions make sense.  I would do them anyway with a nasty cold or a flu or something because I don't want that either. Especially if a cold/flu had the potential to mess up orientation or the first day of school. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Personally--I can't tolerate N95s. I know lots of people claim they have no problem breathing in one for hours and hours, but OTOH many medical people say a properly fitted one (fit tested) is hard to tolerate for more than a few minutes. I've never had one fit tested, but just using my best self educated effort at proper fitting -- I can't do it. More than a few minutes and I'm struggling for a good breath and starting to sweat and overheat.

And I guess that's a long way of saying that if I were you and if I wanted to try N95s I'd just buy one or a small pack (whatever is the least quantity you can get) and see if you can tolerate it before buying a significant quantity.

I honestly can’t tolerate an N95. And my work ones are properly fitted. I can manage about 20 minutes and then I get too hot, even it winter.  We are back to just using surgical masks and those are fine.

My kids struggle with any heavy mask. I know some people are fine, but I’d definitely try it out before investing money in them.

• Like 3

My kids use the Kn95 ones and are totally fine in them.  They even do ballet classes in them.  They say it is a bit hard sometimes, but they fell more comfortable in them because of the protection level.

I have a harder time in and them and would prefer a surgical.  But for indoor things I am sticking with that for now.

51 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Have you tried any of the KN94 ones? I know I like Happy Masks better than anything else I've tried, but it's not like I've done an exhaustive search... I just know that they stay on and don't bother me and get a good seal and have a filter. 

I have a Happy Mask as well and personally prefer the KF94s. They have a much better face fit, especially around the nose (I find the Happy Mask face wire a little wimpy), and they feel more breathable to me when wearing. YMMV. You can get a mix and match 10 Pack of KF94 for about the same price as 1 Happy Mask if you want to decide once and for all if the grass is greener. I highly recommend the Bluna for fit and adjustable ear loops. BOTN, too, though the BOTN runs bigger, so I would get the medium for most women and smaller men, and the large only for people with big faces. BOTN and Bluna both make a kids mask that is just like the adult but smaller. I like both, but the POSH is my preferred for smaller faces. I don’t recommend masks with non adjustable ear loops unless you’re willing to tie knots or add adjusters or ear savers. 

Edited by KSera
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, KSera said:

I have a Happy Mask as well and personally prefer the KF94s. They have a much better face fit, especially around the nose (I find the Happy Mask face wire a little wimpy), and they feel more breathable to me when wearing. YMMV. You can get a mix and match 10 Pack of KF94 for about the same price as 1 Happy Mask if you want to decide once and for all if the grass is greener. I highly recommend the Bluna for fit and adjustable ear loops. BOTN, too, though the BOTN runs bigger, so I would get the medium for most women and smaller men, and the large only for people with big faces. BOTN and Bluna both make a kids mask that is just like the adult but smaller. I like both, but the POSH is my preferred for smaller faces. I don’t recommend masks with non adjustable ear loops unless you’re willing to tie knots or add adjusters or ear savers. 

Ooh, DH doesn't fit in most masks - he has a BIG head. I'm going to order some of the BOTN ones in large for him!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ooh, DH doesn't fit in most masks - he has a BIG head. I'm going to order some of the BOTN ones in large for him!

FYI - some (not all) colors of Happy Masks come in EXTRA-large!  (Although they currently seem to be all sold out through Aug 2nd... we're not the only ones restocking, apparently!)

Both dh and I wear larges, two of my (adult) kids wear M and the other also wears a L.  Worth taking out the measuring tape!

Edited by Matryoshka

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Seconding @Matryoshka's recommendation for the XL Happy Mask. That's what my 6'7" son wears, and he has a really big head (I have the C section scar to prove it, lol)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Seconding @Matryoshka's recommendation for the XL Happy Mask. That's what my 6'7" son wears, and he has a really big head (I have the C section scar to prove it, lol)

13 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

FYI - some (not all) colors of Happy Masks come in EXTRA-large!  (Although they currently seem to be all sold out through Aug 2nd... we're not the only ones restocking, apparently!)

Both dh and I wear larges, two of my (adult) kids wear M and the other also wears a L.  Worth taking out the measuring tape!

Oh, I'll check. I wear a medium I think, same size as DD11, DS22 wears a large,  but the large I got for DH was too small for him. 

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Please report when you do. We are having similar fit issues with my Viking of a husband. We can get a good with contractor grade N95 but that is it. We have yet to find a surgical or KN or anything else that works. We are needing more width from nose bridge to chin by at 2 cm.

It's been really interesting watching the US and the UK graphs, I have to say. Very edifying. You can see that the UK graph went very high in cases but not in anything else -- not hospitalizations or deaths. 

The US graph, with its sporadic vaccinations, will not look like that. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

Ugh. My county has just flipped over to masks recommended indoors.  We had a parley as a family last night and agreed to tighten up our contacts, n95s inside, etc, and now this.  I'm glad, but tourists will be very cranky.  Welcome August.

We've been watching this brick wall coming towards us in slow motion for a few weeks.  And now it's here.

Edited by Harpymom
rec'd not required
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

And they said they tested the filter after washing… plus, they stay on nicely. 

My happy masks kept me from getting covid after I was exposed this year, so I declare them effective. DH has had to wear N95s for work before and be fit tested for them - he says they are not easy to wear for long periods of time. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Yup! snagged the XL in Happy Mask for my DH. He is much happier now.

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Please report when you do. We are having similar fit issues with my Viking of a husband. We can get a good with contractor grade N95 but that is it. We have yet to find a surgical or KN or anything else that works. We are needing more width from nose bridge to chin by at 2 cm.

I'll let you know! I ordered some of the KF94 ones mentioned above, and I will order an XL Happy Mask when those are in stock. 

Poor guy, we joke that he needs a "big and tall" version of sunglasses, hats, etc. And my younger son inherited it. Kid was born with a 15 inch head and at 8 wears an adult hat. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

We've been mostly wearing Happy Masks, although I just got an Enro mask, and it seems to fit my younger kid better, and they're also highly rated in testing and also machine washable.  

Now that N95s are back, I'm considering buying some to have in case we have to do something high risk like go to the ER or something, but for our grocery trips and for when the kids go to school, I think we're going to stick with Happy Masks/ Enro.  

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 6:32 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Well, to be fair, a lot of us talking about locking down have young kids. I'm going to feel quite differently after we're all vaccinated. 

Once we are all vax'd, I would be ok with indoor while masks with reasonable case rates. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Personally--I can't tolerate N95s. I know lots of people claim they have no problem breathing in one for hours and hours, but OTOH many medical people say a properly fitted one (fit tested) is hard to tolerate for more than a few minutes. I've never had one fit tested, but just using my best self educated effort at proper fitting -- I can't do it. More than a few minutes and I'm struggling for a good breath and starting to sweat and overheat.

Ditto. DH has to wear them at work, but he is far more heat tolerant than I am. 

I find that when I wear an N95, I start jutting out my chin and breaking the seal. I don't even notice I am doing it, and it kind of defeats the point. Also, within a short time, I am so sweaty that it's sliding all over my face. 

9 hours ago, calbear said:

Happy Masks FTW over here. The best mask to use is the best quality one that my family will wear. 

Yes! We've only seen one other family wear Happy Masks, and it was fun to notice, lol! It felt like a secret handshake or something. 

I have found that my Happy Mask has enough of a seal that the sides bulge in when I inhale, and my glasses do not fog. 

8 hours ago, KSera said:

You can get a mix and match 10 Pack of KF94 for about the same price as 1 Happy Mask if you want to decide once and for all if the grass is greener.  

I should consider this for my son who loses his Happy Mask over and over. We do have surgical masks, and he doesn't mind wearing two if he can keep two together at one time...he's a bit challenged with keeping track of things to say the least.

Overall, we do have one scenario we're keeping in mind for an N95...older DS has in-car driving that's finally available after months on a waiting list. We already paid for it because things were looking good when it was time to plunk down the cash. He's planning to mask, wear his goggles, and put the windows down, but if it rains, he can't have windows down. We might get an N95 just in case that happens. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Harpymom said:

Ugh. My county has just flipped over to masks recommended indoors.  We had a parley as a family last night and agreed to tighten up our contacts, n95s inside, etc, and now this.  I'm glad, but tourists will be very cranky.  Welcome August.

We've been watching this brick wall coming towards us in slow motion for a few weeks.  And now it's here.

I’d rather the governor declare another statewide mask mandate instead. This on and off, county specific “recommendation” method isn’t going to prove effective. Just protect all of us, already! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Terabith said:

We've been mostly wearing Happy Masks, although I just got an Enro mask, and it seems to fit my younger kid better, and they're also highly rated in testing and also machine washable.  

Now that N95s are back, I'm considering buying some to have in case we have to do something high risk like go to the ER or something, but for our grocery trips and for when the kids go to school, I think we're going to stick with Happy Masks/ Enro.  

I've been looking at enro masks and hoping my favorite one comes back in stock soon. Glad to see a review of them here, since they aren’t often mentioned. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I've actually been looking into that option, although used cars are in short supply and so expensive right now. I've been looking on CarMax and trying to figure out if it's possible for me to buy a car remotely and have DS pick it up when he gets there.

This summer we used a car transport service to move our old car from Chicago to Portland where our son lives. It was about $1300 but went very smoothly.

These services contract with truck drivers. The driver will arrange a time to pick up and load the car on to his car trailer and then drive it to the destination. Can take a week or so because they might have to load other cars on as well.

I think the transport service started with “mon”.

I’m driving to Montana now and will see if I can find the exact name tonight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BeachGal said:

This summer we used a car transport service to move our old car from Chicago to Portland where our son lives. It was about $1300 but went very smoothly.

These services contract with truck drivers. The driver will arrange a time to pick up and load the car on to his car trailer and then drive it to the destination. Can take a week or so because they might have to load other cars on as well.

I think the transport service started with “mon”.

I’m driving to Montana now and will see if I can find the exact name tonight.

A family member has used car transport services multiple times and has always been pleased.

• Like 2

I did the opposite of lock down and went on a scheduled long weekend trip. It’s crazy out here. I’ve been in the airport for 4 hours. It’s nuts, so incredibly crowded. People on top of each other. Masks, but not well worn. There’s no way I don’t get covid out of this day. 

• Sad 18

11 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I did the opposite of lock down and went on a scheduled long weekend trip. It’s crazy out here. I’ve been in the airport for 4 hours. It’s nuts, so incredibly crowded. People on top of each other. Masks, but not well worn. There’s no way I don’t get covid out of this day. 

I'm confused. Were you looking to get it? Are you vaccinated?

We leave tomorrow on our family vacation.  Lunches are ready to eat at the rest stop, so no eating out. We're camping for a week, with main activities being hiking, biking, and kayaking. 

My sister is also on her family vacation.  She's at Universal Studios Orlando.  And given that she only got the vaccine because her work "strongly encouraged" it and she thinks it would have been just the same amount of side effects if she got the virus.............I'm worried about them.  I really doubt the rest of her family are vaccinated. And they're definitely not masked down there.

• Sad 1

A bit of a funny...we spent this weekend in a rented cabin and herping in a wildlife refuge with L's BFF and her family. One of the areas we explored is a Cypress marsh, and was very mosquito laden. I can now attest that Happy Masks are mosquito proof, because I put mine on, not due to Covid risk, but because I really hate inhaling bugs, and I thought it might help . And it did-but I have several bites around the edges of the mask! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HomeAgain said:

We leave tomorrow on our family vacation.  Lunches are ready to eat at the rest stop, so no eating out. We're camping for a week, with main activities being hiking, biking, and kayaking. 

My sister is also on her family vacation.  She's at Universal Studios Orlando.  And given that she only got the vaccine because her work "strongly encouraged" it and she thinks it would have been just the same amount of side effects if she got the virus.............I'm worried about them.  I really doubt the rest of her family are vaccinated. And they're definitely not masked down there.

Disney is requiring masks again so maybe Universal is as well? 

3 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I'm confused. Were you looking to get it? Are you vaccinated?

Sorry, sarcasm not coming through😀 I’m vaccinated. Do not want it. It just seems inevitable with this day. And the crowds. I’m on a trip/reunion planned a couple months ago when I was comfortable With my vaccine protecting me. Now I just feel exposed and anxious. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

6 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

A bit of a funny...we spent this weekend in a rented cabin and herping in a wildlife refuge with L's BFF and her family. One of the areas we explored is a Cypress marsh, and was very mosquito laden. I can now attest that Happy Masks are mosquito proof, because I put mine on, not due to Covid risk, but because I really hate inhaling bugs, and I thought it might help . And it did-but I have several bites around the edges of the mask! 

I've been wearing my mask while hiking because of bugs too!  

When we were trying to make decisions last spring on what the fall might look like, we assumed the vaccine would provide better prevention against transmission.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how to respond to the new information, and to be honest I'm confused.

What are people thinking as far as vaccinated people spreading to others.  We have a 90 year old in our family, and expect at least some contact between members of our household and a household with a newborn.  So, trying to figure out how much we restrict our vaccinated 14 year old to protect those two in particular.  

What are other people thinking?

1 minute ago, BaseballandHockey said:

When we were trying to make decisions last spring on what the fall might look like, we assumed the vaccine would provide better prevention against transmission.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how to respond to the new information, and to be honest I'm confused.

What are people thinking as far as vaccinated people spreading to others.  We have a 90 year old in our family, and expect at least some contact between members of our household and a household with a newborn.  So, trying to figure out how much we restrict our vaccinated 14 year old to protect those two in particular.  

What are other people thinking?

I’m assuming vaccinated people spread, unfortunately. That’s why we stopped having babysitters.

• Sad 1

Just now, BaseballandHockey said:

I think it's clear that vaccinated people spread, but what isn't clear at all to me is how much, relative to unvaccinated people.

They don't know, because it is hard to measure. But if you go by viral load, they have equal viral load to unvaccinated people, if infected. Now, they are infectious for a shorter period of time, it seems. And they are obviously less likely to get infected - how less likely is in debate. 

• Like 5

Am I the only one who got the vax only so I could safely be around at-risk (vaxed or unvaxed) people, and now I feel like there was no point?

And I'm back to thinking that maybe I should go out and catch it on purpose so I don't have to spend another 1.5 years staying away from loved ones.  😕

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, SKL said:

Am I the only one who got the vax only so I could safely be around at-risk (vaxed or unvaxed) people, and now I feel like there was no point?

And I'm back to thinking that maybe I should go out and catch it on purpose so I don't have to spend another 1.5 years staying away from loved ones.  😕

I don't think that getting it is going to keep you from getting it again.  I don't know what the stats are on that, but there are people who have gotten it more than once.

But i get it.  My unvaccinated kids were sick a bit ago and I was half hoping it was Covid so we could just be done dreading it.  And we could go live life.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

I think there is still a point, but for most people we got it both to not spread it and to avoid time in a hospital. That said, yeah, it's super frustrating. My hope is that my mom and dad can get boosters which seem to really improve protection, so I feel better being around them. 

I'm also going to start testing before seeing them. 

• Like 4