Menu

What are you reading/watching/listening to

lovinmyboys

I’m always interested in what other people are watching, reading, and listening to. Currently I am:

Reading:

Book: The Price You Pay for College by Ron Lieber

Article: How America Fractured into 4 parts in The Atlantic

Podcast: The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill (thanks to SWB)

Music: ?? One of my new year resolutions was to listen to new to me music, but I haven’t been doing well on that

Watching: Mare of Easttown and Virgin River 

• Like 3

I've been enjoying Nick Zentner's youtube videos (the earliest ones are under Central Washington University.)  - He's a geology professor, and has done a lot of lectures on PNW geology.  As far south as California  (and how cascadia and san andreas are linked, and tend to rip around the same time.  and to all those who want them to rip so the west coast will fall into the ocean, they've done it many many times, and the west coast is still here.), east to yellowstone hotspot, north to BC.   He's really good.  Many continuing ed, then started quickie for PBS, and showing his 300?level lectures.

He's also talked about Vinnman's bakery so much (across the street from campus), that I decided we needed to go.  So, today, we were passing through Ellensburg, and at 3pmish, we stopped in. They were almost completely sold out of everything.  What few things we got, were very good.

eta: my music taste is classical, i've recently started into Rachmaninoff.  Though the ride of the valkyries (opera version, not symphonic) has been going through my head lately. . . . 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

We watch a variety of shows on netflix, amazon prime, and disney in the evenings. Family has been watching Star Wars the Bad Batch, Loki, Agent Carter, and Lost in Space.  I've been watching Virgin River. 3rd season just went up, and the first season Criminal Minds,   Saturday nights our movie night and tonight we saw I,Robot with Will Smith.  

Listening: My son and I are listening to Ghostbusters audiobook.  Me - all the Abba songs from both Mamma Mia movies. Other than that instrumental jazz music on pandora.

Currently reading the last book in the Wheel of Time series - a Memory of Light. James is reading Rise and Fall of Stan Lee, and hubby's reading Unsettled

• Like 1

I'm not a huge TV watcher, but here lately DH has been watching a lot of Air Disasters and vet shows (The Incredible Dr. Pol, Critter Fixers and some other one set in Alaska that I can't remember the name of) and if I'm sitting here I get hooked. At this point I'm pretty sure I'll never willingly fly again and that I could maybe help birth a calf or foal if absolutely necessary. 😉 

I'm re-reading Captains and the Kings by Taylor Caldwell.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Reading: Mostly curriculum content, lol. Trying to adapt high school Ancient History for a student who hates reading. 😳 Also flipping through issues of a friend’s psych journals that she’s required to subscribe to for her doctorate program. Interesting stuff on the efforts to separate developmental trauma from “regular” PTSD.

Audiobook: The Happiness Trap. So far, so-so. A new angle (to me) on uncomfortable feelings.

Music: Nothing really new. I’m still hooked on Billie Eilish. I enjoy her music just fine, but I’m more drawn in by the fact that a little girl (and her brother) had such outside the box talent, turned it into something real, and is figuring out how to grow with it. And I think it’s partly because I have a kid who is into music production.

Watching: Loki, Atypical, Good Girls, and a ton of YouTube home improvement and organizing videos. And probably too much TikTok, lol.

Combination: Looking for new, more current articles and videos for Human Geography since the last time I taught it. Found interesting on-the-street interviews about China’s 3 child policy. Reactions not so different from how young people are feeling about parenthood around here.

• Like 3

Reading: Far from the Tree. Quite the tome. It investigates the relationships when the child ends up not being like the parent with extensive chapters on such topics as dwarfism, deafness, transgender, autism, among others. 

Listening: Tale of Two Cities. Just finished listening to a lighter listen: The Girl on the Train which was just a really fun read if you like suspense 

Watching: Chernobyl on HBO. We signed ip for HBO just so we could watch this series since dh and I both recently read Midnight in Chernobyl. So far, we’ve both been disappointed and are surprised it got such good reviews. 

Editing to add that dh and I have been watching Mad About You from way back when we were newlyweds ourselves. Really enjoying that (especially the first 3 or 4 seasons)

Edited by Amethyst
  • Like 2

Reading: Code Name Helene (WWII French Resistance), Glencoe Physical Science teacher's manual, Shelters of Stone (Jean Auel).  The last is a definite re-read, but it's light summer fiction.

Listening: Suzuki pieces.  I have no podcasts queued up.

Watching: dh and I started Unorthodox last night and got sucked in.  It's on Netflix, the story of an Ultra Orthodox girl from New York who up and left one day, moving to Berlin.

• Like 2

Reading: The Two Lost Mountains (#6 in the series). I'm so excited it came out and I got it at the library. Love a good adventure novel. Just finished: The Library of the Unwritten. Enjoyed it - reminded me of Good Omens.

Listening: I don't really listen to music or podcasts. I'm not auditory in the least, so I don't listen well.

Watching: Leverage Redemption on Amazon and Escape to the Chateau on peacock.

• Like 2

Reading: Lincoln in the Bardo with dh (actually, we're listening on Audible and following the text in our own copies. It's phenomenal as an audio performance, with tons of actors and celebrities reading different characters. And the book is brilliant, but halfway through doesn't pass the Bechdel test. Female characters are accessories to the development of male characters.)

Watching: Atypical, Summer of Soul and documentaries on ancient Sumer.

Listening: Florence and the Machine.

Fun thread!

• Like 3

I am listening to (Audible) Empire of the Summer Moon -it's about the Comanche/Quanah Parker and Cynthia Ann Parker. I'm enjoying it, although parts of it are brutal. I have around 10 hours left to listen. I have a Raising a Feast downloaded to my Kindle app, but haven't started reading it yet. I need to look for a beach read for next week. I'll be checking this thread for inspiration.

I rarely listen to music at home, but when I work in my classroom, I usually put on jazz-most any YouTube channel will work for me. Sometimes I find Jazz for kids to play for my students. 

Whatever I watch is on my phone at night. Lately it's been reruns of Gimme a Break, All in the Family, and Three's Company. Every now and then I find a Hallmark movie to watch.

Edited by math teacher
  • Like 2

Reading - I always have more than one book going at a time:

Genghis Kahn and the Making of the Modern World - I usually have at least one nonfiction going while reading several fiction novels
Who Speaks for the Damned? - next in a historical mystery series I like
The Count of Monte Cristo - a read along with the Book a Week threads
Leonard and Hungry Paul - a lovely meandering book about two nice guys
Grant - audio book biography of U.S. Grant, by Ron Chernow, who also wrote the Alexander Hamilton bio that inspired the musical

Watching -

With dh - Loki, Miss Fisher's Modern Mysteries (Acorn TV), Deadwood (HBO), CSI (we never watched it when it was actually running)
On my own I'm re-watching Downton Abbey. I'm up to Season 3. Also watching The Medici on my own. Dh wouldn't like either of these.

Podcasts - I've been listening to Maintenance Phase a podcast about weight loss products and scams. It's on Apple Podcasts so I listen on the website because I don't have any devices capable of downloading the app.

Music - I'm stuck in the 80s. In the car if I'm not listening to my audio book I tune to 80s on 8 on Sirius XM. At home I mostly listen to classical but lately I've been listening to Linda Ronstadt's albums from the 70s and 80s. I use my Echo devices to listen to music at home.

• Like 2

Reading:

• The Secret to Superhuman Strength, Alison Bechdel
  • Assorted articles and reports assigned for my educational psychology class

Audiobook:

• Plain Bad Heroines, Emily M. Danforth

Podcasts (too many to type, but some I'm especially enjoying - I listen while I walk, and I walk a lot. I also listen while I exercise and when I drive.)

• Maintenance Phase
  • You're Wrong About
  • No Place Like Home
  • You Must Remember This
  • The Vanishing of Harry Pace (a series from Radiolab)
  • A Degree Absolute (see "Watching" below)

Music *:

• Mostly the classical feed from NPR via my local radio station
  • Two Pandora stations I've created featuring (1) classical guitar music and (2) chants and acapella sacred music

Watching (including some things I've recently finished):

• The Expanse (Amazon)
  • The Prisoner (IMDB TV via Amazon - I watched through this in conjunction with the A Degree Absolute podcast listed above.)
  • Pose (Netflix)
  • Shtisel (Netflix)
  • Rutherford Falls (Peacock)
  • Girls5Eva (Peacock)
  • The Mitchells vs. the Machines (animated movie that was a whole lot more fun than I anticipated - Netflix)

Some things I just put on my to-watch list while looking up the titles of some of the above on Hulu):

• The Donut King
  • Summer of Soul
  • WeWork: or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion Unicorn

(* One of the "fun" features of my current depression is that I can't tolerate anything too loud or anything with lyrics that bring up anything emotionally challenging or even songs I used to love but now associate with anything painful to think about. So, I stick to mostly quiet instrumental stuff.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 3

Reading:

• A Ghost in The Throat by Doireann Ni Ghriofa
  • Motherhood, Facing and Finding Yourself by Lisa Marchiano
  • re-listening to Hold onto Your Kids- why Parents Need to Matter more than Peers by Gordon Neufield and Gabor Mate on audible for a refresher  

Podcasts:

• Feminine Chaos
  • Blocked and Reported
  • Gender A Wider Lens
  • WellRed
  • Freakonomics Radio 
  • The Good Fight with Yascha Mounk 

Music:

• A lot of my old faves- Dixie Chicks, Ani DiFranco, Indigo Girls, Dar Williams, The Butchies, Le Tigre, Slater Kinney, Bikini Kill.  
  • Newest album that has made my rotation: Julie-C’s Sovereign Queendom Archive  

Watching:

• The Expanse - just finished with my older son 
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society - these books were special to both of my sons and we are watching as a family.  
  • Loki - with my family
  • Scrubs - with my older son so we have something to watch together now that we are done with the Expanse
  • The Good Fight - this is what I watch alone
  • Whatever comedy specials I can find that look good that are streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

Podcasts - I've been listening to Maintenance Phase a podcast about weight loss products and scams. It's on Apple Podcasts so I listen on the website because I don't have any devices capable of downloading the app.

Waving hello to a fellow Maintenance Phase listener!

Also, I download this one through my PocketCasts app on my Android devices. I seem to be able to access any podcasts I want with that app, regardless of where they are published.

• Like 1

As a family we are watching Loki and Bad Batch.  Dd and I just finished Top Chef and are now watching Drag Race All Stars and Big Brother.  

I'm currently listening through our CD collection!  I take out a different CD each day to listen to while I cook and then later do dishes.  Simon and Garfunkle is set for today.

I'm reading a lot of random things right now, including: Everything is Spiritual by Rob Bell, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Reading the Bible with Rabbi Jesus, The Wolf at Twilight by Kent Nerburn.

• Like 2

Reading: 

I just finished Phantom Tollbooth - it's such a fun book

Marcus Aurelius' Meditations

From England to France: Felony & Exile in the High Middle Ages

Listening:

Wardruna (always on top rotation)

Hauser you tube videos

Watching: 

We just finished Downton Abbey - all seasons & the movie

Katla  - Netflix - I'm withholding judgment until the last episode - it's intriguing so far

Star Trek - always on rotation

Vikings - rewatching season 4

various you tube videos - we just watched one last night from Grimfrost on Viking Age herbs. 

• Like 2

Reading:  The Flames of Rome by Paul Maier, Body in the Library by Agatha Christie, Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Watching:  DH and I are watching reruns of Scarecrow and Mrs. King.  We are to the middle of the last season.  I am watching Death in Paradise.  One episode each day as I ride my stationary bike.  And my 19 year old and I just finished Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime yesterday.

Music:  I mostly listen to Spotify.  It plays a lot of Steve Taylor, Casting Crowns, Larry Norman, Petra, John Schlitt, Rich Mullins, Steven Curtis Chapman, Newsboys, TobyMac, Whiteheart, etc.

• Like 3

Reading: 

Watching: 

• Just finished The Good Place with DH
  • Finishing my pandemic re-watch of Star Trek Voyager
  • Just started The Good Witch, during my Saturday workday

Listening (podcasts): 

• Stuff You Should Know 
  • Great American History Tellers
  • Gymcastic (gymnastics podcast)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Waving hello to a fellow Maintenance Phase listener!

Also, I download this one through my PocketCasts app on my Android devices. I seem to be able to access any podcasts I want with that app, regardless of where they are published.

I only recently learned of Maintenance Phase but I like it so far. I'll look at PocketCasts. I usually use Stitcher or Podbean. It's available on both of those but lately they both have had problems with the podcast randomly stopping. My phone is only 2 years old and the software is up to date so I don't know what the issue is. 

• Like 1

Watching.   Me only: TLC Unexpected on discovery+.  It's a guilty pleasure and I really just want to smack some of them when each episode is over. 
                      Me & dh: Relentless on D+ and working through Frasier again, like we do yearly, at least.  

Reading.     Finding Jesus in Israel and Nature's Best Hope,  working carefully through the New Testament.

Podcasts.   Dale Jr Download (great if you're a nascar fan) & various true crime podcasts

Music.         I only listen once in a while.    I crave silence.   When I do listen, it's either an easy listening playlist filled mostly with the RatPack and such or my 80's playlist.   

• Like 3

Reading:

Carl Trueman’s The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self

The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson

Watching: nothing lately

Listening:

Podcasts - Close Reads, Close Reads Patreon, The Play’s the Thing, The Well Read Poem, The Daily Poem

Music - random

• Like 2

Reading: Procrastinate on Purpose by Rory Vaden.  For fiction I just finished The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah and have The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver on deck to begin.  I loved The Four Winds.  I keep wishing I hadn't read it so quickly because I want to go back and visit with those people. 

Music: Milk & Honey by Crowder

Podcasts: I listen to a LOT, but these are some of my favorites.

• Whoa That's Good by Sadie Robertson Huff
  • Dream Big with Bob Goff and Friends
  • At The Table with Patrick Lencioni and the spin-off (on hiatus) The Working Genius Podcast
  • The Craig Groeschel Leadership Podcast

Watching: Re-watching Agents of Shield on Netflix.  I'm on season 4 with Ghost Rider and enjoying it just as much as the first time.   Also watching Uncharted with Gordon Ramsay on Nat Geo, Alaska: The Last Frontier on discovery+, Elementary on Hulu.  I'll pick up the new season of Handmaid's Tale soon, as well as binging Loki. 

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I just started listening to Maintenance Phase- these two are fantastic to listen to! Entertaining and informative all at the same time.  

7 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Watching: dh and I started Unorthodox last night and got sucked in.  It's on Netflix, the story of an Ultra Orthodox girl from New York who up and left one day, moving to Berlin.

Unorthodox was so good! I really wish there was more!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Reading: Far from the Tree. Quite the tome. It investigates the relationships when the child ends up not being like the parent with extensive chapters on such topics as dwarfism, deafness, transgender, autism, among others. 

This is such an incredible book. 

3 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

The Secret to Superhuman Strength, Alison Bechdel

I am, like, person a zillion on hold for this at the library.  I have been reading Alison Bechdel since her Dykes to Watch Out For days, so interesting how her career has evolved.

Reading:  Jonathan Sarna, American Judaism; Jen Gunter, The Menopause Manifesto

Watching:  nothing, but i might try A Very English Scandal

Listening: lots of political podcasts.  Favorite non-political podcast at the moment is Switched on Pop.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

You're in for quite a ride. Did you manage to make it this many years without learning spoilers or are you going in cold? 

Going in completely cold!  I'm watching season 3 right now.  Embarrassing, but I somehow thought it was a reality show which is not my thing at all.   I don't know how I didn't watch it before this!  🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

You're in for quite a ride. Did you manage to make it this many years without learning spoilers or are you going in cold? 

I had heard nothing about Lost. Started watching it. A couple of seasons in my daughter came home and blew the ending 😭

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Reading: When I fell from the Sky, the True Story of 1 Woman's Miraculous Survival, Juliane Koepcke     I think I heard of her story on GMA or another morning show. It has been 50 years since the plane crash, after taking off from Lima, Peru.  I am only on chapter 5, but it is interesting and I like how it takes me into her life growing up in the jungle and being the child of biologists. 

Watching,  podcasts...:Too busy being with summer to be connected to anything else...

• Like 3

https://www.amazon.com/17th-Suitcase-Vignettes-African-Family/dp/0578419890 About a South African family that moved to the US during Apartheid. The book is a series of vignettes about living under Apartheid and watching it crumble later, Nelson Mandela's visit to the US, voting in the first free elections, etc. Very moving. 

Listening to Stuff You Missed in History, The Dispatch Podcast (sometimes Advisory Opinions), and The Holy Post.

Re-watched Downton Abbey. Watching Heartland as a family. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JennyD said:

I am, like, person a zillion on hold for this at the library.  I have been reading Alison Bechdel since her Dykes to Watch Out For days, so interesting how her career has evolved.

I couldn't stand it and pre-ordered my copy months ago. Then I got busy packing and moving and only unearthed it a couple of days ago.

• Like 2

Watching: Sweet Tooth on Netflix

Reading: NYT, WAPO, WSJ, New Yorker, Atlantic, Twitter/FB

Listening: Sirius XM Chill, BPM, Shade 45, Hip Hop Nation, Alt Nation, Lithium, Diplo's Revolution, First Wave, Various Spotify Playlists

• Like 2

Reading: "Exit Earth" It's a scifi disaster novel published in 1987. While it has some gross descriptions of angry mob actions and some outdated ideas, it does have a lot of different international perspectives, kind of like World War Z. Somehow, in the midst of quarantine, it's comforting to read about a non-biological disaster.

Partway through the long quarantine, I had my local used bookstore deliver a box of scifi books, one from each author he had in stock. I figured I might find a new author to enjoy, and it would help the business while foot traffic was low. It's been an interesting project, reading through books I might never have picked up. So far, there has only been one book that I hated and just couldn't finish. It's the first time I've considered actually burning a book.

I'm also making my way through The Witcher books. I use those as a reward when I just can't face another alien war novel. I haven't read Polish novels before, so I am wondering if the format is normal for there, or if it is specific to the author. There are page breaks without a scene or even a time change.

Now that I am done prepping for the fall, I am taking a break from non-fiction. I'll probably read books about colleges and scholarships for my teenager once I'm past my "it's summer and I don't want to" phase.

Watching: 

Rewatching with my husband: White Collar, House. Last night we watched The Tomorrow War and had fun picking apart the plot holes with the time travel. We have run out of (new to us) scifi again. We're not fans of horror or B movies, so it's hard to find anything with the right amount of intensity.

Mostly rewatching with my teen: X-Files (I've only seen half the episodes because I am a wimp with jump scares), Doom Patrol (new to me), NCIS, Bones, Castle, Testees, Now You See Me 2

Rewatching with my preteen: Stargate, Nailed It, Doctor Who, The Big Bang Theory, Warehouse 13, Buffy, Angel, Red Dwarf

Listening: I have little auditory memory, so I would rather read than listen. If I was in school now, they would diagnose me with APD. We use subtitles with all our entertainment. Our DVD remote has a button just for subtitles and it has been such a joy not to fiddle with DVD menus anymore, as we frequently swap discs during the week.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 11:30 AM, LucyStoner said:

• re-listening to Hold onto Your Kids- why Parents Need to Matter more than Peers by Gordon Neufield and Gabor Mate on audible for a refresher

This book was such a game-changer for me. So important.

• Like 3

Reading ~

-- for one of my two book groups: State of Wonder: A Novel by Ann Patchett

-- for pleasure: Owner's Share (Trader's Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper Book 6) by Nathan Lowell

Watching ~

I'm not a viewer and watch a movie only a few times a year.

Listening ~

-- I enjoy playing music while doing tasks. I've recently listened to: The Hits by Billy Joel, Sirena by Cousteau, and several CDs by Tom Lehrer.

-- I only listen to audiobooks when traveling with my husband. We're planning to listen to The Martian (Weir), Johannes Cabal the Necromancer, or Lake Silence (Bishop) on a forthcoming trip.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Reading:  Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, Savage Run by C.J.Boxx, The Indigo Girl by Natasha Boyd.

Watching:  Dh and I are watching Bosch and Man with a Plan.  I'm watching Packed to the Rafters, Death in Paradise, and Rebecka Martinsson.  Need to watch season three of Virgin River and last of Call the Midwife.

Listening:  Been using Gilmore Girls for office background- haha.  Otherwise Pandora stations- christian, and several 70s themed if I find time.

Edited by Tina
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rutheart said:

Listening: I have little auditory memory, so I would rather read than listen. If I was in school now, they would diagnose me with APD. We use subtitles with all our entertainment. Our DVD remote has a button just for subtitles and it has been such a joy not to fiddle with DVD menus anymore, as we frequently swap discs during the week.

We use subtitles as well. We started eons ago when James became interesting in Godzilla movies and we watched them in Japanese with english subtitles and it kind of segued from there.  I can't watch tv shows or movies without it now.  

Reading: One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston - just finished it, so so so good for a light summer read

Watching: Hacks on HBO Max - If Jean Smart doesn't get an Emmy/Golden Globe for this show, I'll cry for her. It's SO good. Just finished it last night.

Listening to: St. Vincent... there hasn't been much else out recently that I absolutely love... I leave the radio in the car tuned to XMU most of the time if I'm not going to put something on

Someone said to me not long ago that the new thing to say is, "What media are you consuming?" which is SO PRETENTIOUS. But, gosh, also, I sort of love it. Which probably means I'm a little pretentious too. Oh well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, rutheart said:

Rewatching with my husband: White Collar, House. Last night we watched The Tomorrow War and had fun picking apart the plot holes with the time travel. 

Rewatching with my preteen: Stargate,

White Collar was such a fun show. I might suggest rewatching it to dh. I forgot to mention in my original reply that dh and I are rewatching Stargate SG1 and it's fun to see how very different things were in the very beginning of that show.  We also watched The Tomorrow War. It was fun but so many plot holes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Reading: One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston - just finished it, so so so good for a light summer read

Watching: Hacks on HBO Max - If Jean Smart doesn't get an Emmy/Golden Globe for this show, I'll cry for her. It's SO good. Just finished it last night.

Listening to: St. Vincent... there hasn't been much else out recently that I absolutely love... I leave the radio in the car tuned to XMU most of the time if I'm not going to put something on

Someone said to me not long ago that the new thing to say is, "What media are you consuming?" which is SO PRETENTIOUS. But, gosh, also, I sort of love it. Which probably means I'm a little pretentious too. Oh well.

I almost made that the title of the post, but then thought it sounded a little much 😆 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Farrar said:

I agree! That was a fun read.

Have you read the author's first book? I enjoyed it but read the above first and preferred it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I agree! That was a fun read.

Have you read the author's first book? I enjoyed it but read the above first and preferred it.

Regards,

Kareni

Oh yes, I definitely read Red, White, and Royal Blue. It was delightfully silly and also heartwarming all at once. It walked a perfect line between escapist nothing and actually good in a way I rarely see. But... I liked some aspects of One Last Stop more. I'm a sucker for a sweet lesbian romance. The mystery elements of the story really worked well for me.