Menu

Vocabulary?

I think I would like son to start working on vocabulary. I am also thinking along the lines as to what will help them with SAT prep and in higher level reading. Would Wordly Wise be good? Or Vocabulary from Classical Roots by EPS? or something different? Son wants to study Latin so maybe that is enough?

I did Wordly Wise in 4th grade and loved it, and a friend with a kid in public school liked it, too, but both of my kids were meh about it when we tried it.  I don't know if it's been revamped or if my enjoyment is a commentary on the rest of my schooling.  🙂  I did Vocab from Classical Roots with my older for several years, and my younger did Red Hot Root Words - RHRW is much easier with shorter lessons, and each choice was the right fit for the kid doing it and our needs at that time.  Surprisingly, both kids like the vocab that comes with MCT language arts.  The earliest levels are easy, but Caesar's English is challenging.  

Word Build is a great program. The workbooks are a bit costly, but we enjoy it greatly and the kids vocabulary benefits from working through it. We use the Foundations Series (2 books for 3rd-5th), but kinda wish we'd gotten the Elements Series (3 books for 6th+) instead.

Spelling By Sound and Structure 7 and 8 are vocabulary focused books that teach roots and word elements.

Spelling Through Morphographs teaches words elements and their meaning, as well as the spelling rules to combine roots and affixes to spell complex words.

• Thanks 1

We do Vocab From Classical Roots. We also do Spanish, with occasional comparison between the Spanish, Latin, and English words, to show how the languages are related. When my oldest switched to public school, she said she could understand more complex words than the rest of her class. They had no idea how to decipher meaning from a word that was new to them. She'll be doing the ACT in a few months, and it will be interesting to see how she scores.

If you're going to cover Latin anyway, you could probably just add in some of the Greek roots on your own.