Menu

Marvel movies

Xahm

Are any of the Marvel movies good for people who prefer character-driven to action-driven movies? I like the idea of comic-book and super hero movies, but I watched The Avengers the other day and it's not for me. A couple of my brothers love this kind of thing, and I'd like to be able to enjoy that world without sitting through movies I find dull. My brothers wouldn't really understand if I told them that I think movie explosions are boring, haha.

• Like 1

My dh says nope, lol. 

But given that we are grading on a curve ;), I was thinking Black Panther, and maybe Ant-Man and Ant-Man & Wasp.  Black Panther has an interesting story and moral dilemmas; the two Ant-Man movies are the most fun imo, and also they feel more character-focused to me - it's like a "smaller" story in a good way - you stay in mostly one city and the characters are so much fun. 

Dh says maybe Doctor Strange.  He also said that it wasn't surprising that Avengers didn't do it for you, since it "throws 20 characters up on the screen" - you don't have time to get to know people plus it makes for super-large action scenes. 

• Like 1

If you watch the shows chronologically, starting with Captain America the First Avenger.  but that is a large time investment.  There is a lot of character growth and intense character scenes throughout the mcu. Each movie builds on the next.  Perhaps the most character driven is the series Agent Carter which takes place after Captain America.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, forty-two said:

He also said that it wasn't surprising that Avengers didn't do it for you, since it "throws 20 characters up on the screen" - you don't have time to get to know people plus it makes for super-large action scenes. 

Yeah. This was the pinnacle of 5 movies and you're supposed to know the back stories.

I also vote Dr. Strange, but Black Panther reveals something that's supposed to be a surprise in Civil War. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

I also vote Dr. Strange, but Black Panther reveals something that's supposed to be a surprise in Civil War. 

True - I was assuming she didn't care about spoilers, but if you do care, OP, that's something to watch out for - there are lots to go around in the later movies.  In that case, might as well start with the Phase 1 movies (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc.).

• Like 2

2002 Spider Man might be somewhat more character driven ...

but these are all Action movies basically

maybe Dr Strange 

first Iron Man 

it helps to get more of a single character before a group of them

• Like 1

Thanks. I am something of a completionist and willing to torture myself to get that satisfaction of doing something fully, so I may start at the beginning. I saw a couple of the Iron Man movies in theaters, though not really by choice. They are probably fine to watch while doing some materials prep for homeschooling. 

I've also grown partial to the actors, particularly Hemsworth (Thor). He improves like EVERYTHING. Very creative man. Downy (Tony) hides food on set because he says his character is egotistical and feels entitled to eat wherever he wants, but it pisses the director off so he has to hide it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Marvel sherpa daughter summarizes this frustration as "more writing, less fighting, please...."

There is a very real character development arc in the Iron Man trilogy... but it is largely accomplished via a whole lotta, y'know, fighting.

If you don't care about spoilers, Black Panther definitely works best as a standalone (same daughter calls BP the "gateway film" to the Marvel universe) and has *two* satisfying character arcs.... but again, largely accomplished by, y'know, a whole lotta fighting.

I know you asked for movies, but I would actually recommend the six-part Wandavision cycle.  Oh how I looooooooooooved Wandavision, let me count the ways.

And the Loki cycle is turning into a deep dive The Good Place plumbing of the psyche, which is definitely NOT what *I* expected.  But again a whole lotta fighting to get there.

• Like 1

I actually think many of the opening movies are fine because they are about the character and the origin story. The Avengers movies are not. They all require that you know what's going on. I saw and liked Iron Man when it first came out and then I saw the Avengers movie and thought it was literally one of the worst films I'd ever seen. It made me hate Joss Whedon. It took YEARS before I got woo'ed back to Marvel and went and watched the movies. Now I can appreciate some of the ones that I don't like so much because I enjoy the overall story. But still.

If you stick with just the origin story and follow ups that aren't too "insider info" focused, then that gives you...

the Dr. Strange movie
both the Spiderman movies
both the Guardians of the Galaxy movies
the Captain Marvel movie (though that one starts to stray into you need to know what's up territory)
the first Iron Man Movie (after that, no)
the first Captain America movie (again, after that, it's all franchise information)
both the Ant Man movies
the Black Panther movie
the first Thor movie

Of those, I'd say skip the Thor movie and the Captain Marvel movie for sure. Beyond, that depends on your taste. Guardians is funny and a bit over the top. Antman is funny and silly. Spiderman is light and fun. Iron Man is serious. Black Panther is just really well-made. Dr. Strange is really cool looking. They're all still action movies though. So whether you like any of them will depend.

• Like 2

I think the issue of which ones are comprehensible as standalones is a somewhat separable question from which ones have discernible character development. Everyone loves Captain America, with reason, but he's a stalwart good guy with a flair for leadership from the beginning straight through to the end, not a lot of movement there. Similarly the Guardians' StarLord is a laugh-out-loud hilarious doofus... in the beginning, in the middle and up to the (er) present.  Whereas Iron Man and Thor actually evolve over their respective trilogies, which if you don't mind spoilers -- (and honestly if you don't know the Avengers trajectory a lot of the spoilers just fly right over the head, without spoiling, I say this from experience LOL) -- I think can be watched straight through as trilogies. (IM > Thor by a considerable margin, though Thor has some quite funny moments.)  Panther's character evolves within the one movie.

But Farrar's point is well taken:  the genre here *is action movies,* so it's not really reasonable to expect Remains of the Day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, forty-two said:

My dh says nope, lol. 

But given that we are grading on a curve ;), I was thinking Black Panther, and maybe Ant-Man and Ant-Man & Wasp.  Black Panther has an interesting story and moral dilemmas; the two Ant-Man movies are the most fun imo, and also they feel more character-focused to me - it's like a "smaller" story in a good way - you stay in mostly one city and the characters are so much fun. 

Dh says maybe Doctor Strange.  He also said that it wasn't surprising that Avengers didn't do it for you, since it "throws 20 characters up on the screen" - you don't have time to get to know people plus it makes for super-large action scenes. 

I agree.  I loved the Ant Man movies and they were the only ones I watched for a long time.  They are totally stand alone.  I think you really get to like and care for Ant Man.  I liked Black Panther, too.  I never saw Doctor Strange. 

• Like 1

I like the Marvel universe. I would say no not character driven. It is at it's core an action franchise. There are some good plots, good acting, writing isn't bad, but let's put it this way whenever the characters start delving into their feelings I roll my eyes and tell them to move on. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

I think the issue of which ones are comprehensible as standalones is a somewhat separable question from which ones have discernible character development. Everyone loves Captain America, with reason, but he's a stalwart good guy with a flair for leadership from the beginning straight through to the end, not a lot of movement there. Similarly the Guardians' StarLord is a laugh-out-loud hilarious doofus... in the beginning, in the middle and up to the (er) present.  Whereas Iron Man and Thor actually evolve over their respective trilogies, which if you don't mind spoilers -- (and honestly if you don't know the Avengers trajectory a lot of the spoilers just fly right over the head, without spoiling, I say this from experience LOL) -- I think can be watched straight through as trilogies. (IM > Thor by a considerable margin, though Thor has some quite funny moments.)  Panther's character evolves within the one movie.

But Farrar's point is well taken:  the genre here *is action movies,* so it's not really reasonable to expect Remains of the Day.

Well, everyone except me, which is hilarious since I married a stalwart good guy with a flair for leadership and love him dearly lol.  I don't know why I don't love Captain. My dd does.  I love Ant Man!  And, actually Iron Man. . . .

• Like 2

I didn't like the Avengers movies either, and find a lot of the group movies very boring and forgettable. But Guardians of the Galaxy (both) are great, and def about character development, and I felt they were stand-alone to a certain extent. Thor Ragnarok is great too. I really like Captain Marvel - prob one of my favourite - and the Ant Man movie is also character driven. Black Panther is another one.  Personally I just go with the fact that I don't know everything that is going on in the Marvel world. Probably means I enjoy it more, actually; the people who seem to whinge the most are the ones who have set ideas how Marvel characters should go, and then freak out when the writers do something different with them. 

• Like 2

I did watch and enjoy Black Panther, but I think it helped I had no expectations going into it. I enjoyed Wanda Vision, but halfway through the season I realized I had no clue what was going on anymore. I liked it well enough that I wanted to understand.

I didn't realize this was a serious hole in my pop culture knowledge until my brother, husband, and I started discussing our thoughts about naming a kid "Thor" and what that would make you guess about the parents. After a few minutes of mutual confusion, we realized he only knew about "Thor" from Marvel and we only knew about him from Norse mythology. It didn't seem like there was tons of overlap.

Edited by Xahm
Typos and more typos

1 minute ago, Slache said:

If you don't want to watch them we can give you a quick rundown to make sense of Wandavision, but I like Marvel, so I recommend giving it a shot.

My husband is leaving soon for a week of National Guard stuff, so some mindless entertainment is on the docket for my evenings. If I get though some and still can't understand, I may ask for the cheat sheet.

I can enjoy movies ok if I know they aren't going to really be my thing going into them.

• Like 1

If you're going to try to watch them in order, this is the order I've been using to introduce them to my DS12: https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scene/the-best-way-to-rewatch-the-mcu. (I've seen them all already, but he hasn't.)

We started when he turned 11, and we have a 'date night' on the first Sunday of each month where he gets to stay up late and watch one with me. We just knocked off #17 SpiderMan: Homecoming. Turns out, the new Black Widow movie fits right into where we are in the timeline, so he's going to get to see it in the theatre next week. (I just got home from seeing it with my mother, who is having surgery this week and won't be able to come with the group of us next weekend.)

FWIW, over the entire series of movies/disney+ shows, I think that Bucky Barnes has the best character arc... but he's my favorite and I'm biased. 😉

• Like 2