Menu

Best remedies for tummy aches

Terabith

Not nausea, exactly, although that often goes along with it, but what are your best idea when the inside of your stomach hurts and you don't really want to put anything in it when you aren't feeling 100%?  Anything that makes it feel any better or less achy?

Ginger tea, ginger snap cookies, lemon-lime soda made with corn syrup (it reduces nausea), real black licorice (helps a lot but don’t take if you have blood pressure issues.  If you hate soda most pharmacies carry an anti-nausea “medicine” that is literally flavored corn syrup. 

If it's a nauseated tummy, weak coffee (no cream) often helps settle it for me.  Or if it's REALLY bad, like between throwing up, then sips of weak 7up.   If it's an acidy type tummy, then Peptol Bismol and a small cup of milk settle it.

Not exactly gastro type, although there's some nausea and the idea of eating is unappealing, but not exactly indigestion really either.  More like it just aches, the way other muscles and joints kinda ache when you don't feel great?  Not like 100%, go directly to bed unwell, but more like, if someone sends you to bed, you would very gratefully go and stay there.  

I got some digize. Just apply topically with a carrier oil?   
Have tried a few saltines and tea and what not, and while it’s not awful, it definitely makes it hurt worse.  
So far, Coke slurpee has worked best of anything. I’ve tried hot baths and heating pads. It just aches and every once in awhile threatens to “erupt” on me.  

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Are you sure this is a bug that will pass, or could it be something more anatomically serious? Like, diverticulitis, appendicitis, gall bladder or an ulcer?

Im just thinking that if home remedies and time don’t resolve your discomfort in the next couple of days, maybe you should have it checked out. 

I feel so bad for you. I have a high pain tolerance in a lot of ways, but stomach discomfort turns me into a whiney baby pretty quick. 

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, based on other symptoms, and on level of discomfort.  It's uncomfortable but not miserable.  And when I went for a covid test just to make sure, they said they were seeing a lot of similar viruses running rampant now that most people are no longer masking.  (I mean, I'm masking indoors, but....). I think it will be fine.  The doctor poked me and felt pretty confident it was a virus.  

Dd had a stomach thing for a couple weeks, then felt better the day after we started two types of probiotics and 1 Agarikon mushroom capsule daily. Kept up the Agarikon for 10 days, and her symptoms never recurred. It was one of those things where she was not hungry, occasional nausea, just didn't feel good.

The timing could have been a coincidence, but I'd go straight for Agarikon and probiotics next time. The probiotics we used were Align and D-Lactate Free Probiotic Powder (just because we had it in the fridge). A month or so out I'm still alternating the probiotics daily because they have so many health benefits.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Dd had a stomach thing for a couple weeks, then felt better the day after we started two types of probiotics and 1 Agarikon mushroom capsule daily. Kept up the Agarikon for 10 days, and her symptoms never recurred. It was one of those things where she was not hungry, occasional nausea, just didn't feel good.

The timing could have been a coincidence, but I'd go straight for Agarikon and probiotics next time. The probiotics we used were Align and D-Lactate Free Probiotic Powder (just because we had it in the fridge). A month or so out I'm still alternating the probiotics daily because they have so many health benefits.

ETA: I did separate the Agarikon and the probiotics, since Agarikon has some antibacterial effects.

So, a few saltines and a tiny bit of candied ginger stayed down fine.  Liquids are fine. What should I try tomorrow?  Jello maybe? The thought of soup does not at all appeal but maybe I should try anyway?  I guess I could try BRAT stuff but again, the thought does not appeal.  I kept down a few bites of watermelon, but it didn’t really agree with me.  

ETA:  The absolute best things were juice/ syrup from a can of peaches and a coke slurpee.  Water is fine, but those two really provided relief. 

Edited by Terabith

Soda. Carbonation reduces the acidity and the phosphoric acid helps with the nausea. (Emetrol the drug uses fructose, dextrose, and phosphoric acid.) I have to take a medicine that induces pretty heavy nausea for me, and a really cold soda helps even though I generally believe soda is awful for you. 

Famotidine is something I also take. Bringing down the acid helps.

As far as food or drink goes: red raspberry leaf tea (which is also great for diarrhea in addition to cramping), candied ginger, peppermint tea, fennel essential oil diluted to its proper strength and rubbed on the tummy and bottoms of feet, applesauce, bananas, bread, sweet potato, zucchini, watermelon, rotisserie chicken.

I used to eat eggs, but I threw up daily for 7 months during a pregnancy where I had a very limited diet and I just can’t do eggs when nauseous anymore. Scrambled eggs, on the shiny side, were helpful though. 

• Like 1