Menu

Western Carolina University-not asking for much in terms of admission application

ShepCarlin

DS will be applying to Western Carolina this fall. I contacted them last year asking what requirements they have of homeschoolers and was told it is just send in a transcript and either SAT or ACT scores. That's it. No course descriptions, resume, school profile, etc. They do not use the Common App so this looks to me to be pretty straightforward (and easy?!) process. However, I am curious if I should go ahead and send the course descriptions, etc has I already have them written up ready to go. Is this overkill? Their admittance rate is decently competitive so I do want to help him stand out but I don't want admissions to flag us as a problem child. He is my oldest so this is all new for us. I had a local college admissions counselor here in GA tell me they don't like being overwhelmed with info but at the same time I see just a transcript as not being enough. Am I making this harder than it is?

• Like 1

We homeschooled DS through 10th grade and he also applied this year to WCU. Really all they wanted was a transcript. Think of it this way: when public schools (or private schools) send transcripts, course descriptions are not included. I would not send course descriptions and didn’t. DS was accepted, but decided to go elsewhere.

5 hours ago, ShepCarlin said:

DS will be applying to Western Carolina this fall. I contacted them last year asking what requirements they have of homeschoolers and was told it is just send in a transcript and either SAT or ACT scores. That's it. No course descriptions, resume, school profile, etc. They do not use the Common App so this looks to me to be pretty straightforward (and easy?!) process. However, I am curious if I should go ahead and send the course descriptions, etc has I already have them written up ready to go. Is this overkill? Their admittance rate is decently competitive so I do want to help him stand out but I don't want admissions to flag us as a problem child. He is my oldest so this is all new for us. 

I don’t know anything about about western carolina, however, my homeschooler applied to/attends a university that only required test scores and a transcript; so that is all I sent. The lack of course descriptions, etc, did not hurt him, and he received a full ride.

since I don’t know anything about this school, I did a quick search. And, I guess the moral of the story is don’t believe everything you read. 

this is from campusreel.com

Western Carolina University ACT Requirements

Western Carolina University’s average ACT score is 67. To be a competitive applicant for Western Carolina University your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 59, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Western Carolina University a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 75. 

….other sources were just as confusing, and the acceptance rates given for the school range from 40-something to 79 percent. 

Edited by NewnameC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would also ask if additional information would be considered if submitted. In other words, it might not be required, but might weigh in a student's favor for consideration of honors college, scholarships, etc. 

I found a discussion of the WCU Great Grades Guarantee. It said homeschoolers were considered for this on a case by case basis. It may be worth asking what material would support that review. 

https://www.wcu.edu/apply/undergraduate-admissions/first-year-students/great-grades-guarantee.aspx

• Like 1

The title of this thread caught my interest, because approximately 12 or 14 years ago, 2 of the people I knew in the school my DD was attending at that time  were in a program to get their Ph.D. in Education from WCU.  We are overseas and I believe WCU sent 1 or 2 people here occasionally for testing, etc.   There's a word for that kind of Distance Learning program that I can't remember as I type this.

I am curious about the possible Major of the DS of the OP and how WCU ranks for that?

This has nothing to do with the OP's question, but just in case it is relevant for anyone else, WCU at least recently (a couple of years ago) offered in-state tuition to residents of certain counties in certain states. I don't know if they still do, but if you live in a neighboring state (we live in one of the counties in Georgia that they considered in-state), it is a sweet deal.

• Like 1

Interesting on all accounts. DS is planning on majoring in biology. His interest is specifically herpetology and he has already spoken with a couple of biology professors to see what he could do in research as an undergrad. He's totally fallen in love with WCU. His test scores are very good as well as GPA. His leadership and volunteer experiences really make him shine along with his avid interest in herpetology. I want to be sure that stands out to WCU which is why I was wondering if it would be "too much" if I just threw in all of that instead of just the transcript and test scores. Think it would be in his best interest to just send in more info as opposed to too little.

2 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I would also ask if additional information would be considered if submitted. In other words, it might not be required, but might weigh in a student's favor for consideration of honors college, scholarships, etc. 

I found a discussion of the WCU Great Grades Guarantee. It said homeschoolers were considered for this on a case by case basis. It may be worth asking what material would support that review. 

https://www.wcu.edu/apply/undergraduate-admissions/first-year-students/great-grades-guarantee.aspx

My daughter was accepted into the honors college without any further documentation. Her scores were fine, 28 ACT, but not amazing. She did have dual enrollment courses and we did send those transcripts, and an excellent GPA. We are out of state.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ShepCarlin said:

@plansrme I knew about the in state tuition deal but not about the bordering states. We are in the metro Atlanta area which I doubt they would consider it as qualifying as in state. Nuts. 

I wouldn't be so sure. I am also in metro Atlanta! I'll PM you my county.

@SweetCicely interesting. They told us at the Open House in March that there was not a separate scholarship application. I thought that was kind of strange. I have a lot to look into. DS also has dual enrollment. So far, from what I can see he is eligible for the honors program, it will just depend on how many kids apply. He is right on the edge of what they are looking for in terms of test scores, GPA, etc.

Did your daughter enroll at WCU? If so, does she like it?

@ShepCarlin For her the scholarship application came after she was admitted. She actually didn't complete it since she decided to attend a different school, so I don't remember much about it.

Actually, it looks like some (Academic Scholarships) are automatically considered with the application and Merit and Need-based Foundation scholarships require an additional application. https://www.wcu.edu/apply/scholarships/wcu-scholarships.aspx

I didn't feel like they were the best at communicating compared to the other schools she applied to, but it was in the middle of Covid-19. Even without scholarships and as an out of state student it would have been a cheaper option than many of our in state (VA) schools. She really wasn't crazy about the location and decided she wanted to attend a more urban campus. For a student who likes outdoor activities it would be excellent, I think. I'm sure you know more about their biology department than I do!