Menu

What kind of lock do you have on your door?

mommyoffive

9 minutes ago, Anne said:

We have touch pad locks on our doors and I love them.  No more endless Searching for my key. So much easier to give people access to my house when I want to do so.  Super easy to use.

Anne

Does yours have a regular key too?  Is that the back up system if your battery dies?  

Is there any issues with it in extreme weather?   We sometimes get really cold -60 or -80 with windchill.  

We have a smart lock and I like it pretty well.  DH did a lot of research before we got it to make sure it wasn't easily hacked.  The only problems we have had is having to replace batteries every few months and sometimes the app on our phone closes and needs to be opened to get the door unlocked.  It also has to option of using a key if needed.  It has been great for when we are out of town and need someone to stop by and check on things.  We can give them a temporary "key" to the door.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loowit said:

We have a smart lock and I like it pretty well.  DH did a lot of research before we got it to make sure it wasn't easily hacked.  The only problems we have had is having to replace batteries every few months and sometimes the app on our phone closes and needs to be opened to get the door unlocked.  It also has to option of using a key if needed.  It has been great for when we are out of town and need someone to stop by and check on things.  We can give them a temporary "key" to the door.

Oh do you have to use the app to open the door every time? 

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh do you have to use the app to open the door every time? 

The app has to be open on the phone and the phone with us, but we just touch to lock with a finger to unlock it.  You can also open it directly from the app if you are in range.

2 minutes ago, Loowit said:

The app has to be open on the phone and the phone with us, but we just touch to lock with a finger to unlock it.  You can also open it directly from the app if you are in range.

Oh.  Thanks.  I wonder if they all work that way?  I don't want that.  

• Like 1

Lots of my neighbors have the kind with a key pad of numbers and you enter a code to unlock the door, and it does have a key option for back-up. If we were ever going to upgrade, it would be to that kind. I believe some also have a safety feature of automatically locking after x amount of time, if someone forgets to hit the "lock" button, which is nice. 

Right now we still just have standard keyed deadbolts.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Lots of my neighbors have the kind with a key pad of numbers and you enter a code to unlock the door, and it does have a key option for back-up. If we were ever going to upgrade, it would be to that kind. I believe some also have a safety feature of automatically locking after x amount of time, if someone forgets to hit the "lock" button, which is nice. 

Right now we still just have standard keyed deadbolts.

This is what we have (does not have an auto lock).  We love it.  It’s nice to not have to worry about keeping up with keys (although I do have the backup on my key ring.  It’s just simpler for everyone.  I like that it’s not dependent on an internet connection.  The code can be changed if needed, although we have only changed it once, when we bought the house.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh.  Thanks.  I wonder if they all work that way?  I don't want that.  

Do you have two entrances? This on the front I could see being handy, but my mom and dad had a key pad on the garage door. It was great for those of us with the code to be able to drop stuff off or pick something up without them being home. 

• Like 3

We have a Nest brand smart lock and I really like it.  It can be operated from the app, but doesn't have to be.  We can create as many door codes as we like, and can have codes expire (for example -- short term code for a pet sitter while we are on vacation).  I have it set to notify me every time the door is unlocked, so that when we are traveling I know if the pet sitter has come in the house, and if we are in bed when DD gets home late from work, I know she is home because the phone buzzes.  (I can also then from bed relock the door if she forgets...which happens a lot!).  We can also check via the app when we leave home if we remembered to lock the door (too often the last person out the door forgets).  We never have to worry about the kids getting locked out or forgetting/losing a key because they just have a key code.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

We need to replace our front door lock.  What kind do you have?  

Does anyone have the smart ones?  Touch pad or finger print ones?  Pros cons?

Deadbolts on all doors. No handsets with locks. Double-key deadbolts on the doors which have windows in them (we keep the inside key in the lock when we're home). I'm leery of smart locks because all computers can be hacked, yes? Just haven't felt the need to take that step.

2 hours ago, Loowit said:

How do kids open the door if they don't have a smartphone?

• Like 1

We have keypad locks on the doors on this house. We didn't install them; they came with the house. I love them, because not only do I not have to fiddle with keys, but our kids don't have to carry house keys around with them. When we've had friends watch pets for us, it is super convenient just to give them the code. You can change the code when you want to; I don't know how, because DH has done it, but it's possible. When the batteries are going low, we have advance warning, because the keypad flashes red. Plenty of time to change the batteries before it dies, even if we don't get around to it for a couple of days. You can also open the doors with a key.

We don't have smart locks; nor would we want them. I don't have things like cameras or Alexa in our house, either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

How do kids open the door if they don't have a smartphone?

All of our kids have a smartphone.  If for some reason they didn't, then we would give them a key ahead of time.  We never left our kids home alone without a phone, because we don't have a landline.  By the time they were old enough to go places on their own, and needed to worry about locks on the doors, they had their own phones.

7 hours ago, Loowit said:

All of our kids have a smartphone.  If for some reason they didn't, then we would give them a key ahead of time.  We never left our kids home alone without a phone, because we don't have a landline.  By the time they were old enough to go places on their own, and needed to worry about locks on the doors, they had their own phones.

My son has his own phone, but it is not a smartphone because he's not ready to deal with having the Internet available all the time.

Good to know you can use a regular key in it as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Loowit said:

How cool it is! What is the brand of the smart lock?

58 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Put us down in the category of old fashioned keyed deadbolts. 

Same here. They’re keyed the same so one key opens front, back, kitchen door, and the man door that goes into the garage. Old fashioned and easy.  But we’re pretty low tech here- no Alexa or ring doorbell or anything, though we do have Nest thermostats. 

• Like 1

We have old fashioned key locks at home but I have a numerical code lock at my business.   I do like the numerical code, not having to carry keys, being able to give codes to other people.  It's pretty handy.   Not handy enough for us to decide to change over the house but if the day came where we had to change things, I could see going to those.  

We have the number pad lock.  It's nice to not dig for keys and dh sets different codes for guests when we have company. It does have a key in case it doesn't work for some reason, but that doesn't come up.  I wouldn't trust a fingerprint version.  My phone often doesn't open with my fingerprints and I've had some high speed government fingerprint readers fail on me when my hands were cold.  

One thing about the electronic door locks is that some kinds will lock automatically after the door has been closed for a bit.  This seems like a great feature, but on occasion I want leave the door unlocked when I'm expecting a group of students to come into my house and I'm in the basement studio.  An auto-locking door wouldn't be a good fit for me.  A teacher friend of mine has one and she has to leave the door ajar then close it after the last student arrives.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 8:06 AM, mommyoffive said:

Does yours have a regular key too?  Is that the back up system if your battery dies?  

Is there any issues with it in extreme weather?   We sometimes get really cold -60 or -80 with windchill.  

Yes, there’s a regular key also, and that’s the battery backup.  This is not a smart lock.  We’ve had the locks over two years, and we have not had to change the batteries yet (watch - now that I said that, we’ll have to do it tomorrow!! 🤣).  i don’t think we’ve had weather colder than -20 and we had no problems then.

Anne

We have a touchpad one by Schlage. Love it. LOVE it. No more digging for my keys, then dropping the keys while I have a million other things in my hands. If I leave the house and I'm not sure if I locked the door, I can check the app on my phone!!! Did I mention how much I love this thing?

We have regular keyed locks (the doorknob plus a deadbolt) on each exterior door. And on the door that goes into the garage, but we never lock that door, and it’s the one we use all the time. If I had to hassle with house keys I’d definitely get keypad locks. Each of our garage doors has a keypad, so if we need to let someone in when we’re not here we give them the code for one of them.