Menu

Confederate flag again

Ginevra

re symbology of regret

28 minutes ago, SKL said:

People place symbols of things to be regretted also.  Especially in connection with deaths.

I'm really struggling to come up with a single example, that could map to use of the Confderate flag as a symbol of regret. 

There are Holocaust memorials, but even those in Dachau and Auschwitz, where there certainly is historical context, do not include swastikas festively snapping in the breeze.  There are some small ones, behind glass, within well-curated exhibits.

There is a 9/11 memorial, but it does not include al Queda symbology, let alone flags.

There is a Hiroshima memorial. There is no American flag flying overhead to symbolize regret for the civilian lives lost.

I agree that there *are* markers of regret that people place on graves: letters, poems, dog tags, mementos.    I am really searching my mind for any place where flags, specifically, are used to impart regret.  Can you think of any?

Precisely because flags are intrinsically associated with collectives -- in their first use, as *banners on sticks held aloft* so fighters could literally see where their team physically was on the chaotic battleground -- the use of flags, specifically, to convey regret would suggest collective regret, regret on behalf of the identity group or ideology. 

And that's really not how Americans roll.  Even less so, folks still identifying Confederate in 2021.

• Like 7