Menu

Tokyo Olympics to be held without spectators

mommyoffive

It's maybe possible for them to keep the athletes safe during, since they aren't having spectators, but it makes me so deeply sad that even the parents/families of the teens/young adults competing won't even be able to watch/attend. That just seems so wrong to me. 

I mean, I get it, global pandemic, etc. but.....gosh, that would be so hard, as a parent. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

This has been predicted for months.  I don't find it surprising.  I understand that having the Olympics at all comes with risks but since there have been trials going on etc. for months, I don't think that competing in the Olympics themselves is much different.  I think that they are trying to mitigate risks as much as they can while still giving the athletes who have worked so hard for this opportunity a chance to compete.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I think that they are trying to do the best that they can.  I think that it would be nice, though, if each competitor was given a small number of tickets for their events (maybe 4) so that they could invite family to watch them compete.

• Like 4

I think at this point, cancelling the games would be the most crushing blow to these athletes.   I think they should probably have been cancelled- but months ago, not a few days/weeks before the games are scheduled to begin.  So at this point they should carry on as best as possible.

Television coverage of the Olympics has never been great.   I wish I had hope that in the era of the pandemic there was going to be an amazing turnaround with that.  

I also wonder, how can any nation recover from this? Japan has put millions (probably billions) of dollars into hosting the Olympic games, counting on the revenue to come and now they've gone from reduced revenue to practically no revenue.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I didn't let my kid cheer this past year, but the way most events handled it was to allow JUST the families in for the kids on the mat during their competition (usually one team coming in, one going out, one watching, and a Livestream for everyone else. It let the parents see their kids and the kids have SOME support, but limited the exposure. Maybe they could do that here? 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MEmama said:

No.
They’ve been warning Japan for ages to not hold it. The entire world is in the thick of a pandemic; I can’t imagine what the Olympic powers that be are thinking and why they have been so stubborn. 

I've seen multiple reports saying it would cost Japan more than $16 billion if they cancel — but apparently they don't actually have the legal right to cancel the Olympics, only the IOC can do that. If Japan cancelled they would be in breach of their host city contract and would owe billions to the IOC. The IOC gets 75% of their revenue from selling broadcast rights, and another 18% from top sponsorships, and they would have to refund all that money if they cancelled. So as long as there are events to be broadcast, even without spectators, the IOC gets paid, and if hundreds of athletes get sick or it causes a massive spike in cases in Japan, that won't affect Committee members, who can just hop a private jet back to their new $150 million office building in Switzerland.

• Sad 8

I remember reading last year that Japan had been looking to the Olympic as a way to improve the financial situation after Fukushima - it seems like it will do the opposite and cost so much while not contributing to the economy.  

we were talking about this today - will there only be a three year gap to the next Olympics (assuming the world is somewhat more normal at that point? 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I didn't let my kid cheer this past year, but the way most events handled it was to allow JUST the families in for the kids on the mat during their competition (usually one team coming in, one going out, one watching, and a Livestream for everyone else. It let the parents see their kids and the kids have SOME support, but limited the exposure. Maybe they could do that here? 

The athletes can't travel with anyone at all. No family. Hard ban. That included nursing infants. I like the idea, but I think it's moot given the restrictions.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I've seen multiple reports saying it would cost Japan more than $16 billion if they cancel — but apparently they don't actually have the legal right to cancel the Olympics, only the IOC can do that. If Japan cancelled they would be in breach of their host city contract and would owe billions to the IOC. The IOC gets 75% of their revenue from selling broadcast rights, and another 18% from top sponsorships, and they would have to refund all that money if they cancelled. So as long as there are events to be broadcast, even without spectators, the IOC gets paid, and if hundreds of athletes get sick or it causes a massive spike in cases in Japan, that won't affect Committee members, who can just hop a private jet back to their new $150 million office building in Switzerland.

That is so horrible.  That should not be the rule in a pandemic.  I feel so bad for Japan.

• Like 2

I remember, approximately 12 -18 months ago, when my DD and her roommate had dreams of possibly going to Japan and seeing a few events while they were there.  I watched that possibility go down the drain, a long time ago. 

A week or so ago, the Canadian government prohibited wives and children of the Tampa Bay Lightning NHL team from entering Canada, to watch the Stanley Cup finals.  Fortunately, since I was cheering for Tampa Bay, they won the Stanley Cup.

Intellectually, everyone sees the possible risks.   And also the sadness for the athletes who can't have their families with them. 

There are never easy answers to complex issues. 

So many people have suffered from the COVID-19 issues. The athletes are among them.  And the students in elementary schools through university level. And so many others.  Sad...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

The athletes can't travel with anyone at all. No family. Hard ban. That included nursing infants.

Ok, I have to know.  Are there any Olympians who are nursing?  Because I would find that ... very impressive.

• Like 5

Just now, PaxEtLux said:

Ok, I have to know.  Are there any Olympians who are nursing?  Because I would find that ... very impressive.

Yes! That's why I read about it. Most prominently, Serena Williams is still nursing her toddler and publicly said she wouldn't go as a result a few months ago. That's when it came to my attention. 

BUT... when I went to look it up to quote you an article, apparently they changed it last week! So, yay! The only family spectators can be babies. But still, I'm relieved. If you're paywalled out, some of the athletes they mentioned were a Canadian basketball player and the US soccer player Alex Morgan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/06/30/nursing-moms-babies-tokyo-olympics/

• Like 7

21 hours ago, TheReader said:

It's maybe possible for them to keep the athletes safe during, since they aren't having spectators, but it makes me so deeply sad that even the parents/families of the teens/young adults competing won't even be able to watch/attend. That just seems so wrong to me. 

I mean, I get it, global pandemic, etc. but.....gosh, that would be so hard, as a parent. 

Athletes under 18 may have one parent travel with them to the Olympics/Paralympics as a chaperone.  This is due to increased crack downs with Safe Sport.   The parent will be with them at all times except actually staying with them overnight in the village.   I assure you this 'bubble' that is being created for the athletes is very tight, very safe.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Yes! That's why I read about it. Most prominently, Serena Williams is still nursing her toddler and publicly said she wouldn't go as a result a few months ago. That's when it came to my attention. 

BUT... when I went to look it up to quote you an article, apparently they changed it last week! So, yay! The only family spectators can be babies. But still, I'm relieved. If you're paywalled out, some of the athletes they mentioned were a Canadian basketball player and the US soccer player Alex Morgan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/06/30/nursing-moms-babies-tokyo-olympics/

Yeah I was going to say I heard on the Today show that they were allowing this.  But I didn't know if the new lockdown in Japan prevented it in the last few days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farrar said:

yes, nursing mothers can bring their babies along with someone to help.  They will not be staying in the village.  They will be staying nearby in other accommodations but utilizing Olympic transportation.  The bubble will be all very tight and safe.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, Farrar said:

This bothers me.  I think that a policy that allows for an exception for infants and toddlers under a certain age would make sense, but as both a biological mother who nursed, and an adoptive mother, I don't think that we should be deciding whether to separate young children from their parent based on whether or not the parent is female or lactating.  

58 people connected with the Olympics have tested positive.  Athletes who are close contacts of positive cases are quarantined, which means even if they test negative in time to compete their training schedule is trashed.

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Danae said:

58 people connected with the Olympics have tested positive.  Athletes who are close contacts of positive cases are quarantined, which means even if they test negative in time to compete their training schedule is trashed.

Do you have an article?  I haven't heard that yet.

4 hours ago, Danae said:

NOw that is just insane if those people are vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine.  This whole thing is a disaster.

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Not all have been vaccinated.  Many come from countries who do not prioritize vaccines for young healthy people and some do not have many vaccines to give out anyway. 

Thank you for that info.  I didn't know that.  UGH.  How sad and messed up.  It would have been so much wiser to make sure those athletes were vaccinated before this started.  I know I know, line jumping.  The whole vaccine surplus and drought around the world is so unfair.  I hope that in the next 6 months that is no longer a thing.   But I think it is crazy for the Olympics or Japan is letting in anyone that is not vaccinated. 

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Not all have been vaccinated.  Many come from countries who do not prioritize vaccines for young healthy people and some do not have many vaccines to give out anyway. 

Oh I know that- I am saying if they were vaccinated with double mRNA shots and had the required waiting period done.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Thank you for that info.  I didn't know that.  UGH.  How sad and messed up.  It would have been so much wiser to make sure those athletes were vaccinated before this started.  I know I know, line jumping.  The whole vaccine surplus and drought around the world is so unfair.  I hope that in the next 6 months that is no longer a thing.   But I think it is crazy for the Olympics or Japan is letting in anyone that is not vaccinated. 

I’ll see if I can find the article, but I read that Pfizer offered to vaccinate all Olympic athletes, but some are from countries that haven’t approved Pfizer so it couldn’t be administered there and many couldn’t get visas to come to the US.  Vaccinating on-site was considered, but 1) it wouldn’t be effective until after the games were over and 2) nobody wants to risk even a short term adverse reaction right before competing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

And the way Japan is handling this is horrible- a US deaf/blind swimmer who was going to the Paraolympics was denied bringing her caretaker.  She can swim without help but needed a caretaker to help her in other ways.

I just saw that. That is scandalous. (I bet there are plenty of useless officials allowed to attend) What point is there in having Paralympics when disabled athletes do not receive the accommodations they need to be able to compete?

• Like 9

4 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

And the way Japan is handling this is horrible- a US deaf/blind swimmer who was going to the Paraolympics was denied bringing her caretaker.  She can swim without help but needed a caretaker to help her in other ways.

I was horrified when I read the WP article. Unconscionable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

The Yahoo article I read quoted parts of the dad's letter. He said he's checked with Japanese officials and the IOC (?) and they both told him they didn't deny the caretaker. So dad believes it's the US OPC who made the denial. For all 34 Paralympians, 9 who are visually impaired, there will only be 1 personal care assistant, though the 6 coaches will be able to assist as needed. 

https://news.yahoo.com/paralympic-swimmer-becca-meyers-leaves-181820274.html

I don't see the excerpts of her father's letter in the article anymore, maybe because I'm on my phone instead of pc (?).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Nope. I don't condone them holding the Olympics at this time.

I don't either, but my kids are excited and I want them to see it.  Some of them don't remember any other Olympics.  I wish that vaccines would have rolled out way faster so that Japan might not be in an emergency situation at the time of Olympics.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 3:16 PM, TravelingChris said:

This is awful. For Paralympians, having medical support is as important as having coaching support. This sort of decision will distort the Paralympics, and makes me wonder if Japan is capable of hosting it at all.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Is anyone watching the opening ceremonies this morning?  We are and cheering for all the athletes .  Hoping for health for everyone there.   

I did. It was good to see most of the athletes taking masking seriously. Tajikstan and Krygystan (who were largely maskless) not so much 😞  The athletes are supposed to wear masks whenever not eating, drinking, sleeping or competing/training per Games rules, so it will be interesting to see if any disciplinary consequences follow.

Though the team that sent a volunteer to carry in their flag and kept their athletes in the village may well have had the wisest idea. Britain only had 22 of its athletes in the parade, which suggests they are also taking things cautiously.

There was some sort of protest shortly before the opening ceremony.

German cyclist Simon Geschke has testest positive for COVID-19 in the last few hours, unfortunately. (Even so, I think the British athletes are safer in the Olympic village than back home, because in England an estimated 1 in 75 people has COVID, and for Scotland it is estimated at 1 in 80).

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

This is awful. For Paralympians, having medical support is as important as having coaching support. This sort of decision will distort the Paralympics, and makes me wonder if Japan is capable of hosting it at all.

I did. It was good to see most of the athletes taking masking seriously. Tajikstan and Krygystan (who were largely maskless) not so much 😞  The athletes are supposed to wear masks whenever not eating, drinking, sleeping or competing/training per Games rules, so it will be interesting to see if any disciplinary consequences follow.

Though the team that sent a volunteer to carry in their flag and kept their athletes in the village may well have had the wisest idea. Britain only had 22 of its athletes in the parade, which suggests they are also taking things cautiously.

There was some sort of protest shortly before the opening ceremony.

German cyclist Simon Geschke has testest positive for COVID-19 in the last few hours, unfortunately. (Even so, I think the British athletes are safer in the Olympic village than back home, because in England an estimated 1 in 75 people has COVID, and for Scotland it is estimated at 1 in 80).

We tuned in late and missed all that.  I didn't know it was going to be on this morning, the only thing I had read was about tonight.  I guess we will watch the start of tonight and look for that. 

Yeah I did see a bit about the protest.  

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

See These Olympic Gymnasts' New Uniform, a Protest Against Sexualization (yahoo.com)

I Love that they are doing this!  So happy to see this at the Olympics!!!!

I love those!  They look very nice and I can see it being much more comfortable than wedgie inducing leotards with only a small strip "down below".   I also didn't mind them when I was young but didn't do gymnastics after puberty. I really don't know why they have to be so high cut in the bottom area with their cheeks hanging out.  I hope this option being seen on the world stage will give other gymnasts who wish to be more covered the courage to be different ☺️

• Like 3

193 Olympic participants have tested positive for COVID since the athletes started pre-arrival-journey testing. That's a positivity rate of about 1.25% so far, although it is much, much lower among the athletes (20 cases for around 10,000 athletes) than among the others (173 cases, including 2 in hospital, among 6000 or so people, which is... ...pretty worrying, come to think of it).

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, ieta_cassiopeia said:

193 Olympic participants have tested positive for COVID since the athletes started pre-arrival-journey testing. That's a positivity rate of about 1.25% so far, although it is much, much lower among the athletes (20 cases for around 10,000 athletes) than among the others (173 cases, including 2 in hospital, among 6000 or so people, which is... ...pretty worrying, come to think of it).

Here is a website that updates Covid info for the Olympics each day. There have been 3 hospitalizations and none considered. The second quote explains the reason for the first hospitalization was completely precautionary..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.devdiscourse.com/article/sports-games/1674290-factbox-coronavirus-cases-at-the-tokyo-olympics%3famp

JULY 29: Pole vaulters Sam Kendricks of the United States and Argentina's German Chiaraviglio have been ruled out of the Olympics after testing positive for COVID-19. Twenty-four people tested positive for the virus, Tokyo organizers said. They also said two Olympic-related people from overseas with COVID-19 have been hospitalized but neither case is serious.

JULY 16: A member of the Nigerian Olympics delegation tested positive at Narita airport, media reported. The person, in their 60s, has only light symptoms but was admitted to hospital because of their age and pre-existing conditions, TV Asahi says, adding it was the first COVID-19 hospitalisation of an Olympics-related visitor.